Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekends

Hi Paul, WELL DONE.............

It's strange that you mentioned not getting drunk while you are out, I do exactly the same, I will drive so I can't drink and then come home & knock back a whole bottle of wine in about 10 mins.....

Keep up the good work.

Take care, Paula xx
    sigpicXXX

Comment

Weekends

Hello Paul,

Welcome to this community of support, friendship, information and so much more than I can possibly list.

I'm sure you have been reading the many postings on the boards so I would like to share with you and others my success so far with this program.
      I have been on the program for just over a year now and it has completely changed my life. I was in a desperate situation believing there was no hope for a normal life again until I found this place. After spending about 2 full days reading posts I ordered the book , the supplements, the topamax and got started.....I did everything according to the plan. I never touched alcohol for the first 5 months. I was determined to make it work. And it has to date.
      I will have a drink in a social setting on occasion. I think the last drink I had was about 2 months ago and that was 4 oz of wine. My goal from the beginning was moderation and I intend to keep it that way.

I was not one to post much from the time I began the program or throughout the process... maybe because I felt I might fail, but I came to the site almost every night and read the new postings and any old postings that gave me hope and the encouragement I needed.

My husband was aware of what I was doing but from past experience had his doubts, so for the most part I felt like I was doing this program on my own. Needless to say, he is pleased with the results. In hindsight, I believe the more interaction on this site the better.

Once again....welcome aboard

Best of luck to all of us.

CC

Comment

Weekends

Hi CC. Thanks for the post. I haven't got the book yet, but I shall get it and start the program. I am not sure what it involves but I don't want to stop being sober. I'm not sure if I could do moderation, so I think it will have to be total abstainance.
        I know what you mean about your husband having doubts. I can't remember how many times I have told her that I was stopping, and meaning it, then disappointing her. It's not nice being a failure and feeling that you have no control of yourself.
        Thanks again. Paulb

Comment

Weekends

Hey Paul, Congratulations on getting through the party - liked the quote too!! I think you will find the book truly inspirational and once you start the programme the abstinence will be even easier.

Thanks CC Canadian for your utterly motivating story!! It is wonderful to hear and exactly what I aspire to.

Amelia
          Amelia

Sober since 30/06/10

Comment

Weekends

I don't know what to say.

I just heard about the Kanga. I don't know what to say. I was going to praise myself for staying sober for a week, but it doesn't seem appropriate any more. I didn't know the man, but I gather a lot of you did. I feel like an intruder today. I'll come back tomorrow.

Comment

Weekends

I'm having the same problems. I'm alright all week and then Friday and Saturday drink until I pass out and its beginning to frighten me. I have a son and twice now I have passed out while he has been up with me and has ended up falling asleep next to me after trying desparately to wake me up. What if anything had happened to him while I was in some stupor. I want and need to stop this vicious cycle that I have got myself into but not sure how

Comment

Weekends

Jenny-
                I'm so glad you are here. You've taken the first step, and there must be something very strong inside you that wants to make a change. How old is your son? It sounds as if you are a single parent? Please know that all of us have struggled with this-drinking, wanting to not drink, knowing that if we're drunk, we're really not "there" for the ones we care for. Please keep reading posts, download the book, read about the supplements, and ask any question you want to. That's why we're here. We all help each other.
                Tumadre:welcome:
                Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
                Plato

Comment

Weekends

Paulb-
                  Okay to come back. One week sober is something to be proud of! You are not to minimize your accomplishments because of Kanga's death. I'm proud of you!
                  Actually, I haven't even tried a week AF, I've just been moderating, so :good: for a newbie!
                  Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a harder battle.
                  Plato

Comment

Weekends

Hi Paul and welcome, from another newbie (been here a couple of weeks).

Congratulations on your week of sobriety - that's no small accomplishment. I've found that the supplements suggested in the book are helping with my cravings, as is reading this site - reminds me what I'm working towards. It's obviously a tough and sad time on these boards right now, but hang in there, I think we found a good place.

pixie
                    AF since 6JUN2012

Comment

Weekends

Thanks

Hi Jenny, It's good to hear from you. I know what you mean about the blackouts. I often wonder if my problem with booze has had any adverse effect on my children. They are both grown up now and seem to be OK but I am sure that my behaviour over the years has damaged them, at least slightly. My daughter recently had a daughter of her own - two weeks ago, and I have promised myself that she will never see me drunk. That happy event coincided with another one - finding this place. Hopefully Jenny, we can watch out for each other at the weekends. I could use the help.
                      Tumadre and pixie; thanks for the support. I thought that I was getting too old and cynical to find new friends, especially here, in cyberspace......that was the first time that I have used that phrase I think......here in cyberspace...
                      A week off the drink is a long time for me, I think the longest ever is 10 days, about 10 years ago, so I'm nearly there. Yesterday it just didn't feel right...do you know what I mean?
                      Anyway thanks again..and Amelia, you too.

Comment

Weekends

Hi paulaw I usually go home after driving and start on a bottle of vodka whch will keep me up until the next morning, if I'm not working that day. I didn't do that this time. A promising start. Thanks

Comment

Weekends

Hi paulaw I usually go home after driving and start on a bottle of vodka whch will keep me up until the next morning, if I'm not working that day. I didn't do that this time. A promising start. Thanks to you all. KatieSmiles, boycie, Lush, Hundi and Tawnyfrog.

Comment

Weekends

Hello All
                            It's Thursday morning now and for the first time in 10 AF days I'm starting to crack.
                            The weekend is nearly upon me and I can feel that old pull in my head. I need a strategy or something to take my mind off it. Is this the anxiety that I have heard about??
                            When I stopped smoking a while back, I learned to accept the craving... to feel it flow and eventually ebb. I am trying that approach now. It's only flow, flow, flow. I want some ebb.
                            I feel a kind of nervous excitement about the next couple of days.

Comment

Weekends

I cracked

Comment

Weekends

Me too, Paul. Just now. Give it another try next week ... It's just a temporary relapse, mate. The more you build yourself up before the weekend, the better it is. Keep yourself busy.
                                Paddy
                                Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Working...
                                X