How do you enjoy only 2 drinks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thought of being limited to two drinks would 'possibly' put me off having any at all, but having said that, I have said to myself - ok there is a max of 3 drinks left in that bottle, just drink that and then you will be fine.................NO the end of the 3 drinks saw me down at the local 'offie' for more....... so my thing is if I am drinking then I am drinking til I pass out, no moderation there. Love to you all. Lorna xx
    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

I'd like to think that I could to the mods. The first thing that I would need to do is to stop drinking at home all together. Then when I was out, I would only be able to have two drinks. Finally, I'd have to leave shortly after that so that I wouldn't be temped to have that third drink. Seems like a lot to think about just to have those two drinks once in a while. The only think is I really want to be able to drink like normal people...people who know when they've had enough and stop. Probably not the most realistic plan...

Julie

Comment

AF vs Moderation

Personally moderation was torture... everything about having a drink started off with good intentions... sometimes it worked and home we would go after a 'successful' evening down the pub where I only drank 3 pints of lager - whoopee.. well done me! The reality is that if you feel proud for managing to survive an evening without drinking to get drunk then secretly you have a problem.. The problem being that we have inside our brains a trigger to alcohol which 'normal' drinkers do not.. that is subject to much research right now and genetics seems to play a big part.. I may be mad but i decided to start naltrexone 6 weeks ago of my own accord.. So far, i have enjoyed the benefits of being a 'normal' drinker for the first time in years.. Naltrexone blocks the buzz but you still feel tipsy or if you drink enough... drunk .... For me- I am no longer craving alcohol, nor desire to continue drinking once I have had a couple... i can barely manage 3 pints of lager whereas at christmas i could drink 10 pints in an evening and for a 5ft 4'' 9 stone girl thats alot of beer!

I could drink two bottles of red wine, or two bottles of champagne and i'd be wasted, lose my memory, become aggressive (no wonder as i was probably close to alcoholic poisoning on some occasions) my partner got it with two barrels and i'd be remorseful and hungover almost everytime i 'lost control' of when to stop.....

I'm back within normal limits, I don't crave alohol anymore, i can have a glass of wine and leave it at that, even when the rest of the bottle sits in the fridge and goes to waste because it's been there 3 days and is probably 'off' and my life has changed amazingly! (sleeping, eating, getting things done, happier, not depressed, not suicidal, not thinking too deeply... the list is endless of what is better....)
        Unlike some who are taking naltrexone to achieve long tem sobriety, I am taking it permanently so i can live my life just like 'normal' drinkers.. Is it worth it? Do I love alcohol so much that I am willing to stay on medication forever? I don't think it's so much love or fear of living without.. it's the fact that I have found something which works for me and enables me to have a champagne toast at a housewarming or have a bbq and a few beers or go on holiday and have wine with my paella and at the same time no longer be killing myself... and i value those occasions and that lifestyle enough to pay for a pill.
        It doesn't work for everyone, but then, there are many kinds of illnesses which respond to treatments differently..

Good luck!
        :new:

Comment

I'm new here too. I've been trying to quit since Oct, '06 and after a good start slipped and have been moderating since. I'm down to two drinks at night, after 9 or 10 pm, but from everything I've read elsewhere I'm told it's not really possible to moderate.

Then someone told me about this site and the fact that it has a moderation thread, so here I am smack in the middle of now and somewhat confused re:quitting vs. moderating

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
          "It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required."

Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Hi Justme
            I am new too, I'm not sure about moderation either, I managed 3 days af, then went to friend house and they were drinking, so took bottle of red and drank most of it then went home, guilty, hangover, ugh. then did another 3 days but last night I got mr vodka and drank all (half size bottle) so maybe not able to drink only 1 or 2 glass?. Its very hard and and I'm trying to do with no help, want to ask on- the-up where did she get Naltrexone and how much do they cost? I also have underactive thyroid and worry about taking anyother medication. Any Advise?

Comment

I have beein moderating by having 1-3 glasses of wine 3 nights a week. I can't lie to you, it's not easy I'm just detemined to be in control of my drinking, not the other way around. I have found that taking a Kuduz before having a drink helps quite a bit, there are times when I'll only have 1 drink, Kuduz really works well for me.
              Colorado Chick!
              Your support means the world to me...:h

Comment

The only way I have 1 or 2 drinks is when I am telling my husband that I have had only 2 drinks - but if the truth be told - I am a 1 or 2 bottle girl, I lie about my intake - the only people I have ever been honest with is you guys. I find myself justifying why I need the drink - I have had a bad day, I have had a good day, what a lovely evening for a sundowner, I need to relax, what a lovely bottle I must try it, there as only a little left so I finished it, and I can go on and on - If you ever need and excuse and cant find one get hold of me and I promise I have one for you.

Hopefully if everything goes well - I will no longer need them.
                Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending

Comment

There was a time when I thought oh a chardonnay , chablis, sauvignon blance, pinot grigio what a lovely bottle - then it got to the stage when it was "where is the 13% alcohol bottles - stuff the taste I want to get trolleyed!!!

I know basically if I have 2 it will be 2 bottles not 2 glasses - or what is the point? - 2 glasses don't get me to the place where I want to be and also just stoke the fire, just tease you "oh you want more don't you, just one more glass, won't harm, just buy another bottle and have one glass out of it !!!

Changeling - love your analogy - yeah I'll just put my hand in the boiling water twice a week!

Lush is the expert on moderation though - it works for her!!

Love S

Comment

What the hell is Moderation...

I am angry - what the hell is moderation - I am not angry with any one else but myself - I am under the influence of wine and Johny black - both yes I can drink both - I am such a >>>>>>>>>> what am I
                    Though no one can go back and make a brand-new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand-new ending

Comment

You are human...
                      Control the Mind

Comment

Human se foot

In SA we as Se foot - this means - that is CRAP - I will see everyone tomorrow H ow can I onlyh do 2 days - good night.,

Comment

I can do it; but I have had a couple of slips since I started in Jan. Usually when I am really pissed off. What I do is have a chardonnay spritzer. 2 glasses of wine is 12oz. So I take the measuring cup pour 2 oz into the wine glass then 2 oz white grape juice then 4oz.sprite zero. Take my time 1 per hour or so. I can have 6 glasses of spritzer. My Husband jokes that my spritzers are more complicated than any cocktail I ever had. But really I think it's about holding that glass some sort of odd security.
                          I dunno just trying things
                          mar

Comment

In AA this is a source of amusement. This is really what hit home with me and my drinking problem. Everyone in the AA meetings laugh at how they could not understand the purpose of buying an alcoholic drink(s) and NOT finishing them. What a waste!!!! Total alcohol abuse!! Pun intended!!! I never thought about it, but I too could not understand how someone could have just a drink or two and leave the glass half full. I guess I am a member of the clean glass glass club...

Comment

I drank in public a lot.....but was getting into situations and experiencing memory loss. I also drank at home. Now I drink at home, just like you and others have described...1-2 bottles, then in work situations have gone for the 'no drinks'option, for fear of not controlling my drinking.

This site is becoming interesting reading.....so many similar stories...x

Comment

HI LISA
                                WHAT YOU SAID WAS SPOT ON.

IM LIKE YOU, ITS EITHER ALL OR NOTHING.

NICE ONE,

ATB

Comment

Working...
                                X