A new weight loss thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new weight loss thread

Lucky is thinking my thoughts for me. I wanted to add that eating pasta isn't a great thing. If you're having digestive issues you really ought not eat refined grains of any sort.
    And quinoa is the Queen of Grains, gentle yet powerful nutrition. I have a bowl of quinoa with spinach most mornings for breakfast.
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Tired, did you ever try any of the South Beach cookbooks?

I saw on Amazon they have a new version of the book called South Beach Diet Supercharged that comes out April 28th
      [ame=http://www.amazon.com/South-Beach-Diet-Supercharged-Faster/dp/1594864578/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1207656341&sr=1-6]Amazon.com: The South Beach Diet Supercharged: Faster Weight Loss and Better Health for Life: Arthur Agatston,Joseph Signorile: Books[/ame]

I'm not sure if I'll order this one or the current one.
      Marcie

Comment

A new weight loss thread

hmmm.. no I haven't seen that one. I'll go check it out - Barnes and Noble is my favorite hang out. I have the original book and I have a diabetic cookbook I find a lot of interesting recipes in. I did several soups with meat and veggies when it was cold. Now that we're in the mid-80s (I already see a scorcher of a summer), we've been doing lots of salads and grilled chicken.

One of my favorite recipes is an almond-encrusted chicken on a bed of lettuce - juice and crunchhy and just yummy.

I need to get out some of the books and find some new recipes - we've been so busy I'm doing the "same ol' same ol'" every night.

I managed to do some crunches and stretches last night - not much. I set the alarm for 20 minutes early this morning with the intent of getting on the elliptical but just got in the shower instead - wasn't inspired. Maybe later . . .
        Member since January 2008
        AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

A new weight loss thread

You gals are just about convincing me to try the South Beach diet. I've always poo-pooed diet plans, even though I've had respect for the South Beach. But I'm not doing very well on my own here, and I'm really REALLY so DONE with being this overweight!! I've let go of so much negative thinking about myself, and since I got my new hair cut I see "pretty" when I look in the mirror. I've also let go of shame issues about my body, and I know that whether I'm attractive or not, I have no interest in finding a man at this time.
          THEREFORE - I have no need or reason to carry around this excess body weight any longer!!!

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Hi all, sorry been AWOL, had a horrendous few days at work, but this thread is really thriving .........

Be back later when I have more time .......

BB xx
            sigpicXXX

Comment

A new weight loss thread

MOW, I never really do diet plans either, but what I'm doing isn't working. I hope getting on a plan like South Beach and having you guys around will be inspiration!
              Marcie

Comment

A new weight loss thread

I am on day 3 now with my new eating plan. Very much the same as the South Beach Diet. Feeling a little bit less bloated.

We needed another thread such as. Thanks BB.

Just a question though. Can eating too much spinach be toxic? All my salads are made from spinach, and I have two moderate-sized ones a day when I get hungry and don't want any junk.

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Hi Boopster!

I've lost 11pounds in 4 weeks through simply changing my diet and using supplements to get my body metabolism working properly. It has not been hard either as I haven't reduced my eating habits, in fact I've increased them slightly by eating healthy snacks in between meals. I usually just eat fruit, nuts and berries as a snack, particularly almonds and goji berries. I eat lots of fish (sardines and tinned tuna) and grass fed (free range) meat and poultry. I have a raw free-range egg 3 times a week as this is the best natural protein I think and I've totally stopped eating processed foods. Cutting the processed shite out has, I think, been the best thing I could have done and I also avoid anything that says low-fat on it as it usually means it comes at the expense of added carbs and sugars. Sugar is another thing I have cut back completely on as well as salt. This has been a bit difficult due to me being a smoker but I've gradually got used to eating whole foods again without using added salt to flavour. I've also only been doing more walking/hiking (Not long back from a camping trip in North Wales actually) and I'm about to start an exercise program called PACE (Progressively Accelerating Cardiopulmonary Exertion).

I actually started this healthy living program about 6 weeks ago but I weighed in at 87kg (191.80Ilbs) when I saw my GP less than 4 weeks ago and I now weigh 82kg (180.77Ilbs). The key is not to think of it as dieting as you will automatically think you are depriving yourself of foods. You just have to change the type of foods you eat so the metabolism can work properly in your favour.

I would suggest to anyone read a book called "The Doctor's Heart Cure" by Dr. Al Sears. It's eye opening and gives lots of good advise as well. If I can do this then I'm more than sure anyone can, if they give it a go. There has been a noticeable reduction in belly fat as well so I know I'm loosing fat and not just muscle. If I carry on the way I'm going I should be down to my ideal weight in no time at all and this time next year I'll have a six pack!!!

Be healthy people
                  Love and Happiness
                  Hippie
                  xx
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Hippie, I am reading that book right now. It sounds very sensible, and the interval exercising sounds great. My only problem right now is my quinoa. Like MOW, I have a bowl of it with spinach (and garlic) for breakfast most mornings. He doesn't seem to like grains at all-even the whole grains. So I guess I will have to modify. I just don't think I can face the day without my quinoa and garlic:H
                    By the way-congratulations on the weight loss.
                    Life itself is the proper binge. Julia Child

Comment

A new weight loss thread

hey am. just reduce the amount of quinoa and have fruit as well. quinoa is actually a very light grain.

don't cut out completely. it is so good for you.
                      You can't turn a pickle into a cucumber

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Hi Betty and everyone else here!

I finally got my Internet back (I was starting to have MWO withdrawals!!):H

It's taking me a while to catch up, but I'd love to join this thread. I quit smoking 38 days ago, and cut WAY back on the beer because of it. Now I REALLY need to get motivated to eat right and exercise!!! I'll get on the scale tomorrow morning and see where I'm at. (I've been avoiding that!!)

COUNT ME IN!
                        The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Tired, I just bought the book. Reading some tonight. In honor of buying the South Beach Diet book, hubby and I went out to our favorite Mexican restaurant and I had a seafood chimichanga and cheese dip, chips, and salsa. I'm sure only 2000 calories or something like that :H
                          Marcie

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Marcie, sounds like something I'd do.

I am going to be reading Michael Pollan's new book, In Defense of Food. That will likely shake up my food awareness. He's my hero.
                            If I'm still not on track by the time the new South Beach comes out I'll get that and DO IT.

Comment

A new weight loss thread

I'm going to get the new one as well, but I didn't want to wait 3 weeks!
                              Marcie

Comment

A new weight loss thread

Hey everyone, Just was told about this and I'm in. Name a diet, I've tried it. Last one was called Iasgenix. Two shakes a day, organic foods and a healthy meal once a day. The idea behind it is we are toxic and you stick to this healthy organic stuff and one day called a cleanse and rid your body of weight and toxins. When I first started it I lost 11 lbs., it is also big on measuring yourself, which I agree because sometimes you won't see results on the scale. Not a bad diet but the stuff is expensive and it becomes boring. I am back to weight watches and doing it on line as I have a pretty good understanding of the program. I have been exercising on and off for the past year. Like all of you I have gone on and off diets and let AL shoot my calories through the roof. I am now taking a cycling class at the YMCA which is tightening my legs and not as hard on the knees as aerobics. Too soon to give you any updates as I have only been on ww again since Mon. I am incorporating things from other diets like the 5 small meals a day, whole grains and nuts. I have also started Dr Oz's book you on a diet which explains to us why diets fail. As well I will update you on that. Best to you all.

Comment

Working...
                                X