Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who wants the MAGIC Diet???? It works!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ello all,

Thank god I actually managed to sleep last night. Was still full from last night's kebab so skipped brekkie in favour of 2 coffees and a cup of green tea. Just had lunch of 2 pork chops with spinach, rocket and watercress salad.

The only problem with cutting out the carby stuff seems to be that I'm smoking a hell of a lot in order to sort of satisfy some craving within me that's not being fulfilled. So when I'm over the major cravings, I think I'll try to cut down again.

My housemate is moving into my room (this may be a dreadful mistake!) and we're getting 2 new housies instead of one so I have spent the morning reorganising the house to make space. I think the extra stress of sorting this all out is also contributing to my fag intake. Any (healthy) tips to cut down Oney, seeing as you've quit? Does drinking lots of water help? That sort of thing? Don't tell me to eat sweets - that's what my dad did when he gave up!!

Hope everyone has a good day today
    Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Thought this might be useful.

Carbohydrate group
      Carbohydrates are a source of energy that can be transformed into glucose, the form of sugar that is transported and used by the body, more quickly than proteins or fats. A diet too high in carbohydrates can upset the delicate balance of a body's blood sugar level, resulting in fluctuations in energy and mood that leave one feeling irritated and tired. A diet too low in carbohydrates depletes the healthy glycogen (the storage form of glucose) stores in the muscles and liver.

Vegetable group
      A vegetable is a part of a plant consumed by humans that is generally savory (not sweet) and not considered a grain, fruit, nut, spice, or herb. For example, the stem, root, flower, etc., may be eaten as vegetables. Vegetables contain many vitamins and minerals; however, different vegetables contain different spreads, so it is important to eat a wide variety of types. For example, green vegetables typically contain vitamin A, dark orange and dark green vegetables contain vitamin C,and vegetables like broccoli and related plants contain iron and calcium. Vegetables are very low in fats and calories, but cooking can often add these.
      It is recommended that people consume 2-3 servings of vegetables in a day. They may be fresh, frozen, canned, or juiced.

Fruit group
      In terms of food (rather than botany), fruits are the sweet-tasting seed-bearing parts of plants, or occasionally sweet parts of plants which do not bear seeds. These include apples, oranges, plums, bananas, etc. Fruits are low in calories and fat and are a source of natural sugars, fiber and vitamins. Processing fruits when canning or making into juices unfortunately may add sugars and remove nutrients. The fruit food group is sometimes combined with the vegetable food group. Note that many foods considered fruits in botany because they bear seeds are not considered fruits in cuisine because they lack the characteristic sweet taste, e.g., tomatoes or avocados.
      It is best to consume 2-4 servings of fruit in a day. They may be fresh, frozen, canned, dried, pureed or juiced.

Fat Group
      The fat group is the least needed in the body. One must have these in small amounts and not much per day, if consumed. These are in sweets and chocolate.

Dairy group
      Dairy products are produced from the milk of mammals, most usually but not exclusively cattle. They include milk, yogurt and cheese. Milk and its derivative products are a rich source of the mineral calcium, but also provide protein, phosphorus, vitamin A, and vitamin D. However, many dairy products are high in saturated fat and cholesterol compared to vegetables, fruits and whole grains, which is why skimmed products are available as an alternative.
      For adults, 3 cups of dairy products are recommended per day.

Protein group
      Meat is the tissue - usually muscle - of an animal consumed by humans. Since most parts of many animals are edible, there are a vast variety of meats. Meat is a major source of protein, as well as iron, zinc, and vitamin B12. Meats, poultry, and fish include beef, chicken, pork, salmon, tuna, and shrimp, eggs, spices and herbs are also in this group. However, since many of the same nutrients found in meat can also be found in foods like eggs, dry beans, and nuts, such foods are typically placed in the same category as meats, as meat alternatives. These include tofu, products that resemble meat or fish but are made with soy, eggs, and cheeses. The meat group is one of the major compacted food groups in the food guide pyramid. Although meats provide energy and nutrients, they are often high in fat and cholesterol, and can be high in sodium. Simply trimming off fatty tissue can go a long way towards reducing this negative effect.
      However, this tactic may prove to be ineffective, so large portions of meats are not recommended; 2-3 ounces per day of meat or alternatives are recommended. This is 3-5 servings.
      For those who don't consume meat or animal products, tofu, beans, lentils, chick peas, nuts and other high-protein vegetables make up this group.
      Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

And this about carbohydrates and healthy glycogen.

As a meal containing carbohydrates is eaten and digested, blood glucose levels rise, and the pancreas secretes insulin. Glucose from the hepatic portal vein enters the liver cells (hepatocytes). Insulin acts on the hepatocytes to stimulate the action of several enzymes, including glycogen synthase. Glucose molecules are added to the chains of glycogen as long as both insulin and glucose remain plentiful. In this postprandial or "fed" state, the liver takes in more glucose from the blood than it releases
        After a meal has been digested and glucose levels begin to fall, insulin secretion is reduced, and glycogen synthesis stops. When it is needed for energy, glycogen is broken down and converted again to glucose. Glycogen phosphorylase is the primary enzyme of glycogen breakdown. For the next 8–12 hours, glucose derived from liver glycogen will be the primary source of blood glucose to be used by the rest of the body for fuel.
        Glucagon is another hormone produced by the pancreas, which in many respects serves as a counter-signal to insulin. When the blood sugar begins to fall below normal, glucagon is secreted in increasing amounts. It stimulates glycogen breakdown into glucose even when insulin levels are abnormally high.

In muscle and other cells
        Muscle cell glycogen appears to function as an immediate reserve source of available glucose for muscle cells. Other cells that contain small amounts use it locally as well. Muscle cells lack the enzyme glucose-6-phosphatase, which is required to pass glucose into the blood, so the glycogen they store is destined for internal use and is not shared with other cells. (This is in contrast to liver cells, which, on demand, readily do break down their stored glycogen into glucose and send it through the blood stream as fuel for the brain or muscles). Glycogen is also a suitable storage substance due to its insolubility in water, which means it does not affect the osmotistic levels and pressure of a cell.

Glycogen debt and endurance exercise
        Long-distance athletes such as marathon runners, cross-country skiers, and cyclists often go into glycogen debt, where almost all of the athlete's glycogen stores are depleted after long periods of exertion without enough energy consumption. This phenomenon is referred to as "hitting the wall". In marathon runners, it normally happens around the 20-mile (32 km) point of a marathon, depending on the size of the runner and the race course. However, it can be delayed by a carbohydrate loading before the task.
        When experiencing glycogen debt, athletes often experience extreme fatigue to the point that it is difficult to move.

Comment

Thanks for the info KTAB - think I might need a bit more caffeine to read the second post!

Hope everyone has had a good day - I have been trying to sort through more of my clothes to give my flatmate some hanger room - but I can't throw anything away!!

But I have been quite tired still, so been snacking quite a lot. Had four kabanos, a tin of sardines and some slices of meat with cheese. Have just had my dinner of chicken mayo and mixed salad. I feel really drained after all the stuff going on at the moment, so I don't really don't know if I have the energy for my walk tonight although I've been missing not doing it over the past 3 days

Just want to curl up with an iced drink and go to sleep really!! Think I will try to have some more brocolli over the next few days to try to get some more iron in me!

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Whats a kabano?

I found drinking milk when I had a craving for a ciggie worked....smoking after rinking milk is poxy.
            I reckon you should rest if your body is asking Kimbo.

Thanks a mil for the info Ktab xx
            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

You are welcome.
              Four kabanos sounds a bit like 4 cans of booze or maybe thats just my addicted brain

Comment

Haha - no Kabanos are those Polish sausages I was telling you about before - though I think it could sound a bit like a Spanish cocktail or summat.

Thanks for the advice Oney. Bit like drinking orange juice after brushing your teeth is it? - horrendous!

I think you are right about having a bit of a rest - it has been manic over the past 4 days or so. I am drinking a nice nettle tea now, had a chat with my ma on the phone and am going to get through as much of the rest of the clothes pile as I can bear to (screw the wealk- i can go tomorrow). But then I will snuggle up in bed and listen to the radio I think

Recovery Videos

Comment

Good woman Kimbo, you will feel so much better after a good rest.

AF 10th May 2010
                  NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Kinda Zenners...just Kinda but I have put on 10 pounds since I ditched the smokes!

AF 10th May 2010
                    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

She would have amazed you with the green veg she tried when we all went out last month.

Comment

There are veggies in ALLONE lol....so I keep telling myself.

Well I am addicted to Bruscetta at the moment, so sundried tomatoes, red onion and spinich has been on the cards!

AF 10th May 2010
                        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

KTAB;925773 wrote: She would have amazed you with the green veg she tried when we all went out last month.
                          Ktab was a GREAT teacher!

AF 10th May 2010
                          NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I am here trying to look for that shopping list as we speak!

AF 10th May 2010
                            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

I do, I remember it well :H
                              You tried your best.

Comment

Ello all,

I am feeling a lot better after having a decent rest and bit of sleep. Actually woke up at a reasonable time and have been out and about sorting some things out already. Had 2 kabanos for brekkie and a chicken mayo salad for lunch. Only one cup of coffee, and 2 cups of green tea, so am trying to be good on the liquid front as well. Don't know how long that'll last.

Hope everyone has a good day!
                                K x

Recovery Videos

Comment

Working...
                                X