Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 days, no wine, no junk, lots of exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a little late to this thread, but I totally want to join! I am on Day 7 AF, and Day 6 of exercising. I am replacing the downtime with AL with moving - taking the dog for a walk, getting up in the morning to work-out to get the good endorphins going.

I really think for me to maintain sobriety, I need to be actively exercising and abstaining. This thread will hopefully give me the strength to make that happen!

And...like others, wine WAS my poison. I am finding that iced tea is a great substitute for me - especially some of the fruity herbal teas.

The challenge for me is going to be in a couple of weeks when a co-worker returns from vacation - we would frequently grab a beer after work and from there, it was a short stop at a liquor store for a bottle of wine. I have a couple of weeks to establish a new routine - including walking the dog every night to get me out of the house and distracted.

Sorry - I was rambling for awhile there!
    ODAT!

Comment

Tipplerette;1124542 wrote: Hi, it's only 10:35 and am off to meet my son for lunch in a Pub of all places. It's soda and lemon for me. He's 29; my middle child. I have a few stops to make and am parking the car about 6 blocks from where we are meeting so I'll be walking the streets of downtown Ottawa and that'll be good too. You are a great Team Leader here... KeepWalking. Do you feel you can really succeed this time; that this time it'll be different??? Or is it just me?? Now,it's getting close to your witching hour,KW, stay on track. I know you can... Didn't you love the feeling this morning of waking up bright eyed and bushy tailed... Loving it!!

Tips
      Hi Tips. yes I do feel it in every bone in my body! Turning 50 made me realise that I waste so much time thinking about poison! What time will i get home, when will I pour the first class, I realised to day that i very rarely plan things for the evening as it takes away what i used to call my 'me time' what i really meant was ' wine time'. Today i went for my bike ride at 6 and actually made plans for after dinner do some gardening - unheard of, especially on a sunny day thats usually my excuse for a chilled one in the summer house!! I know we are still in the euphoria of day 2 but we will feel like this on day 22 if we stick at it! The exercise is the key, if you make yourself feel good by your actions you are less likely to sabotage yourself!! Onwards and upwards Tips, hope you had a lovely lunch x
      Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Determination;1124544 wrote: I'm a little late to this thread, but I totally want to join! I am on Day 7 AF, and Day 6 of exercising. I am replacing the downtime with AL with moving - taking the dog for a walk, getting up in the morning to work-out to get the good endorphins going.

I really think for me to maintain sobriety, I need to be actively exercising and abstaining. This thread will hopefully give me the strength to make that happen!

And...like others, wine WAS my poison. I am finding that iced tea is a great substitute for me - especially some of the fruity herbal teas.

The challenge for me is going to be in a couple of weeks when a co-worker returns from vacation - we would frequently grab a beer after work and from there, it was a short stop at a liquor store for a bottle of wine. I have a couple of weeks to establish a new routine - including walking the dog every night to get me out of the house and distracted.

Sorry - I was rambling for awhile there!
        :welcome: Hello D and you are never too late!! Well done indeed for day 7 and day 6 of exercise, that is impressive! You are so right about the exercising, it is the key to success for me! If you walk why not set yourself a challenge, I have a nintendo ds game called active health challenge with Carol Vorderman, it has a little pedometer with it and has a walking challenge that becomes addictive. It takes you from lands end to john o groats and every timeyou reach a destination you unlock a surprise ( usually a recipe but hey ho) its much better than just trying to reach a daily target of a number of steps as you just think today i will make it the next town wherever that may be. If you are a bit addictive (lol) you will love it and so will your dog, mine do! You can also log food etc and she helps you along but I just use the walking bit of the game although you dont unlock that until you have acheived certain targets with her. Anyway talk about rambling, what am I Like!

Also re your upcoming challenge, firstly take one day at a time and dont worry about it yet but a trick i have used with folk i dont want to explain why i am not drinking especially if it has become custome amd practice is to say i have an infection and am on anti biotics for 5 days so cant drink, they dont normally bat an eye lid, one day you will feel able to say ' I dont drink anymore' but for now just keep walking (ha ha) Another tip is to focus on how you will feel the day after the wine - I guarantee your first thought will be I wish I hadnt!!!

I deiscovered elferflower cordial today its yummy so might be a ncie change to your fruit teas. Good luck and stay determined!! x

Comment

I'd like to join up with you guys. I started my workout plan yesterday. I'm on day 17 AF. I have a million things to do but I'll catch up with you guys tonight.
          Tippler- I will be joining you in the bouncing.
          Good luck everyone. see you tonight.
          AF since 06/27/2011

Of all vices, drinking in the most imcompatible with greatness. Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Welcome Blues Dancer and Determination, glad to have you on board. Blues... 17 days AF is an awesome achievement. If it were me I would be just so proud of myself. I am just so excited to be in the right frame of mind. I love my mini-trampoline and it keeps me from running into any wild animals on our dirt roads as I live in the deep countryside. Walking is too scary to do alone and I am relatively new here so haven't made too many friends yet.

Determination, you can really have a head start on you AF journey before your friend comes home and maybe suggest you guys grab a cup of tea or coffee instead of a drink. That would keep the friendship alive but keep you on the straight and narrow. Keep up the good work. You are days ahead of me.

KeepWalking you hit the nail on the head with the time wasted thinking about the booze. It is what almost made me drop this forum and stop coming here. I felt that I was fretting about my drinking for the past 3 years (although it had been going on for the past ten) and not doing a damn thing about it. I decided I was going to beat it or stop coming here, stop obsessing over it... just drink until I die. But I have too much of a hard head for that so here I am. It's now or never and I believe it's NOW.

Glad you are out gardening and enjoying summertime. It's so short here in Canada that when it arrives, the whole country goes outdoors...

No plans as of yet for supper but no desire to drink either. Walked for more than 1/2 hour today. Be back soon.
            Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
            ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Blues Dancer;1124662 wrote: I'd like to join up with you guys. I started my workout plan yesterday. I'm on day 17 AF. I have a million things to do but I'll catch up with you guys tonight.
              Tippler- I will be joining you in the bouncing.
              Good luck everyone. see you tonight.
              :welcome: Glad to have you on board, 17 days great stuff, we need your resolve, share share share x

Comment

So closing out day 17 AF. Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy. And a big thank you to all of you for being here. I would have packed in my exercise plans otherwise. So day 2 of being healthy and exercising is coming to a close. Great job everyone. You're really inspiring me to keep on the journey. Waking up early tommorow to go to skyrobics, and now I have to go because I said i would!
                Does anyone know if drinking effects your hair. I know this is vain, but I was looking at pictures from a couple of years ago ( i had five years sober at that point) and my hair was beautiful. Now, not so much. I'm wondering if this past two years of drinking may have caused it. Shallow I know.lol.
                Good Night all looking forward to seeing you all tommorow.
                AF since 06/27/2011

Of all vices, drinking in the most imcompatible with greatness. Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Good Morning everyone and welcome to Day 3 or further for some, WELL DONE ALL, feels blinking great doesn't it!! How is everyone sleeping, took me a while to get off last night but then slept like a baby, just about to go for morning jog and its beautiful here today so will soak it all up specially the bird song which i adore! I am off work this week and cant remember the last time i didnt drink through a holiday so feel even prouder as usually my excuse is well i haven't gone away like others so at least i can enjoy some wine in my garden! Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, that's not living its just existing, i feel alive today and long may it continue!! More later peeps, dont forget keep walking!!! xx ps: whats skyrobics? Without any shadow of any doubt exercise is my key to sobriety xx

Comment

Hi Tipps and Keepwalking sounds like you guys are doing well!!

Welcome Queenbug. Yep wine WAS my poison at least a bottle and a half every day maybe two and I am only tiny. But not as tiny as I was..wonder why? Stay here and join us. Post and post let us know how you are going you will get load of support here.

Day 9 get in line and join being AF with me tommorrow!! xxxxxxxxx

Comment

Hello Peeps - Day three, it's early Friday morning and I weathered another temptation storm last night. Ate at a sushi bar for supper and had green tea. Hubby said he'd have wine when we got home. He did and I had cherry juice. I honestly don't know why it's so different this time... a lot has to do with MWO and the group on this thread..

I think the expressed enthusiasm and thrills of being successful are contagious. I have company coming this Saturday and the Drink Pusher will be here. Yikes. We are also going on a motorcycle ride with a huge group this weekend and we always end up in a bar having a beer (or two). Ya I know drinking and driving... I will not drink. Period.

The one thing I am not willing to do is give up my drinking friends. I need my friends. I have to admit that I drank more than most of the girls as my habit was daily drinking and they are mostly weekend drinkers. Just putting my thoughts and worries on paper.

Keep up the good work girls (I think so far we're all women; correct me if I am wrong) and let's keep moving too. I enjoyed a rousing Zumba class last night. So much fun. If I can make it through this weekend it will be a first for me in the ten years since I started this over-drinking habit. Wouldn't that be an achievement or should I say "Won't" that be an achievement....

Have a safe and sober weekend.

Tips
                      Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tip suggested I join this thread and after reading it, I think it's great. I'm 50 and am sick of fighting with this for a couple of decades. I cut back, but so far have not managed to maintain abstinance. I have really gotten out of shape in the last 3 years and alcohol has greatly contibuted to this. The extra calories for one, and the lack of motivation to get out and move is another result of drinking. I have gotten back to a walking and yoga routine since memorial day. I plan to do both today and will post about it tomorrow. Thanks for directing me here Tip.

Comment

Welcome LFP, so great to hear you are getting yourself moving again! Same here, my legs are aching and my butt is sore from the saddle but I feel back in control and that is what exercise does for me. I just has a large glass of lime and soda with fresh lime and I imagined all my organs inside with smilies on them saying thank you thank you this is loverly and we are so happy we dont have any poison to process today! Tips a challenge ahead with the drink pusher but I am confident you will rise above, basically you dont drink ANYMORE, finito bonito so you cannot be tempted as its not somethings you have, I am already imagining how you are going to feel on MOnday morning, so goddam proud of yourself you will bounce and bounce on that trampoline of yours! Go for it and dont forget to let me know your exercise plan for weekend, and everyone else!

I have my plan in place for early tomorrow but realise I need a plan for sunday too so I keep focused on working my body, will get back to you on that one! I have put a stone on in my 50th year due to lack of exerice and consuming far tooooooo mcuh wine, I have never been over ten stone in my life but now I am 10.12!!!!!! It will be gone and I will be fit, 50 and fab, watch this space but we all need each other, so keep posting its so inspiring. xx Mia top job, thanks for sharing it keeps us all motivated! x

Comment

Welcome Looking for Peace, I knew you would relate to this exercise crazy gang of middle aged gals. Keep Walking, you really are right about having a plan. I look forward to hearing about your walk on the Fells. We will ALL be proud on Monday; a world record. Boy have I ever become more empathetic since I began this journey. Alcohol and (I hear) cigarettes have their own voice, their own agenda, they are freaking EVIL. That doesn't mean that eventually I may not attempt to moderate but the more I go on the more I realize that sipping something Non alcoholic is: 1. tastier, 2. better for my health,
                            3. safer and 4. smarter. I still get the buzz from life.. not dead yet.

I have wonderful new granddaughter who will be walking by the end of this summer and I live on a raging river with no fence and a huge steep hill from the cottage yard down to the river embankement. When her parents visit her mother drinks wine and leaves baby to others to care for. I HAVE TO STAY SOBER AT ALL TIMES. It is SO worth it.

Keep Walking, you will shed that weight in no time. Wine is SO fattening. Do the math. Every 10 days or so you should shed a pound depending on the amount you were drinking and what you've replaced it with... That's good news, eh...

Tips :0)
                            Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

I agree exercise is key to sobriety. It realeases all those happy endorphins. I know for me, I'm less likely to drink if I've worked out that day.
                              Keep walking- I like your idea of having a plan. I need to sit down and do that myself. Skyrobics is aerobis and strength training on a trampoline. It's challenging. When I was sober they asked me to teach the class 6 times a week. I havn't been in two years because of the drinking. I will definately be sore tonight.
                              Welcome Queenbug and LFP. It's great to have more ladies to join us on the quest. MWO had made getting sober alot easier for me. The cravings are coming on a little stronger for me now that I'm heading into my third week. But I know that's just a sign that the little addicted voice in my head is dieing. It can chatter all it wants I am not going to go backwards.
                              Tipps- I have no intentions of giving up my drinking friends either. I think people who try to push drinks on others are self conscious of their own drinking habits. Especially if they have a problem. I'm a bartender so people try to get me to join in all night. My co-workers can be my worst enemies at times. The only problem I have with hanging around drinkers is, well, they can be a little annoying after a time.
                              But that serves as yet another reminder of why I don't drink. I don't want to inflict my drunken self on others. Lol
                              Good luck everyone. I'm off to bounce.
                              AF since 06/27/2011

Comment

Hi everybody! :new: (kinda)

Just checking in after being offline for a while...
                                Recently lost 170 lbs,...(it was ALL a$$hole...just got my divorce papers finalized!)
                                Time to get back into my work-out routine, and get back to being "me" again...
                                Hope ALL are doing well today.
                                I'm off to do my leg lifts in the hot tub, then take my doggie for a walk up & down the hill, Lord knows we both need it!
                                Hopefully get out on the river this afternoon!
                                Have a great day Everybody!:l
                                The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Working...
                                X