Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 days, no wine, no junk, lots of exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello and welcome St. Jude.

Glad you feel good about your break-up. Usually one person does and those left behind have their turn feeling sad and bewildered. We, who leave are pretty much done our grieving for our failed relationship before we actually get around to ending it.

You will enjoy the girls here on this thread and find alot of encouragement here.

Aside from the nastiness called alcohol, we have some stuff in common. I am living on a river and use it frequently for kayaking. I have a hot tub. How do you exercise in yours??? Describe the way you do the leg lifts please.

Anyways everyone have a great weekend and check in often.. it's our lifeline in these early stages of sobriety. (Never used that word in reference to myself before).:l Tips
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I'd like to join this group also. I am 54 and used to drink 1-2 bottles of wine every night. I know my weight is all wine related because otherwise, my diet is good. I'm on weight watchers and have about 15 lbs. to lose.
      I've read that running a mile should take 15 min. I do the elliptical and can't get it done in under 20.
      3 miles takes me an hour, yet friends of mine say they can do 6 miles in an hour. Does this make sense? Can you really cover twice as many miles on a treadmill as an elliptical in the same amount of time?
      I am an avid kayaker. Have been for 10 yrs., and it is my one and only true love for releasing stress. I have been everywhere. Grand Canyon and through miles and miles of the beautiful Colorado River. I live 5 min. from the river. Just bought my 3rd. kayak, as I don't like to go alone, and the only way to "bribe" my friends is to already have the boats.
      I have been AF for 13 days. This is the first time in years that I have gone this long, and every day I thank God for another clear, healthy wonderful day free of the poison!
      THOUGHTS become THINGS
      choose the GOOD
      ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

welcome st Jude and Barbara , great to hear from you, and wow B what tremendous progress from 2 bottles a night to 13 days AF! That truly is amazing and i am also so jealous of where you live, sounds wonderful and i am happy you can get out there any enjoy it feeling proud of yourself. There is nothing like waking up in the morning and being so grateful that you didn't drink the night before, the alternative of waking up and remembering is vile and you carry it round all day - ugh! St J sorry about the divorce but you sound stronger now and ready for change so well done, keep those legs kicking in that tub and walking up the hill, thats the answer doing things that make you feel good about yourself and drinking is not one of them!

Well i have stuck to my goals for the last 3 days, no wine, no junk and lots of exercise, i have exercised every day and now realize how much i was missing it! Friday night is a tough one for most but my friend rang earlier to cancel the fell walk in the morning, at one point i would have though oh well might as well have a drink but not tonight i went on a longer bike ride had a supreme shower with new lotions and potions and sat in my garden with a lovely lime and soda, i had a big grin on my face because i felt like i wasn't missing anything, everything in that moment was perfect! So had to make a new plan for tomorrow and have re arranged the fell walk for next Saturday, so its an early bike ride for me, ten miles tomorrow as my butt is getting used to the saddle at last! ps: B i am also counting points and need to loose about the same as you so we can share food plans, are you tracking????
        Night night everyone, hope your Friday was positive and look forward to hearing from you all on Saturday especially about what exercise your doing, what i would do for a river and a kayak! Yes please St J leg lift detail needed, i ca do it in the pool.

Sleep tight and thanks to all for being here xx
        Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

Welcome, Barb1234, I have no idea about the running, bouncing and kayaking are my thing. Good idea about the second kayak. I would love to have company kayaking but we only have one. My brother runs a business in downtown Toronto called Toronto Adventures and he takes people kayaking on the Humber River which meanders in a north-south direction towards Lake Ontario. He has had alot of success with his business and in the winter he takes people snowshoeing in High Park. All this to say he is always offering me his last year's kayaks at a good price. I have to take him up on his offer one of these days.

We were in Colorado Springs last summer rode the Harley up Pike's Peak and back down. It was amazing; the most beautiful ride I have ever experienced. What a wonderful part of the world you live in.

About drinking as that's why we're here, I am totally thrilled by my mornings of wide-eyed wakefulness. That, in itself, makes it all worth while. And the SEX !!! ... alchohol dulls the sensations; they are NOT dull anymore. I didn't know what I was missing. LOL...

About to start the BBQ, cherry juice diluted with water at the ready in my pretty wine glass. Life is GREAT!!
          Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
          ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Well done Tips, you are so in the zone, the cherry juice idea is really working for you, all this talk of kayaking makes me so jealous you are so lucky!!! Enjoy your wide eyed wakefulness tomorrow morning and of course anything else your senses might fancy !!!!!! LOL x

Comment

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the warm welcome. Keepwalking, yes I am tracking. I do it online. I'm not very happy with myself. I started in Jan. and only lost 4 lbs. I know it was because of the drinking. I would be perfect all week, then BAM!! 4 bottles of wine over the weekend. That's enough to sabotage my diet even when I was younger.
              Hi Tipp, yes I do live in a wonderful part of the country. The river is free to navigate whenever I want. I feel very lucky.
              We can share exercise and food tips, absolutely. I know I have to get up earlier than normal to fit the exercise in, but that's ok. It's been a long time since I was up at 5am to enjoy the early morning sunrises, since I lived in a bottle for so many years. I like the view better now!!
              THOUGHTS become THINGS
              choose the GOOD
              ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

Hello to you all. Just wrote a long post and lost it....Damn! The 'short and sweet' version is 'I'm in!'. Would love to join you all - this is my kind of thinking.
                Right now I go swimming 3 to 4 times a week - 50 lengths. I also enjoy cycling and walking, both of which I haven't done for a while, but with the great enthusiasm on here I feel I can get back on board that exercise wagon!
                Kissed Chardonnay goodbye 19 days ago!
                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Welcome daisy wow wow wow 19 days - tremendous!!! Good morning/afternoon/evening to everyone else! Well I had a really really deep sleep last night, could hardly open my eyes, beats waking up at 4 feeling the worse for wear! Been for my walk/run and ready for the day ahead. We are having a BBQ tonight so like you Tips the temptation will be there, but I just know that if I have one to tonight i will be off again and will not jump back on the wagon until i get sick of drinking again and it will slwoly creep up to a bottle a night again. I read your post Tips on D Alisons thread and am hoping you resist as sometimes we make an excuse for one day and that actually leads to two/three/fore days etc etc! Good luck, stay strong and think about your exercise tomorrow?? Queen Bug and Determination, where are you, how is it going, please share, be great to hear from all on here as we all sound the same in tyring to quit A, get fit and feel tiptop for the rest of the summer. Will do a long bike ride later, cant wait, I feel empowered and excited for some reason, I am already looking forward to my lime amd soda, I made ice cubes last night and put slices of fresh lime into them ready to go straight into the glass i bought which is a pint glass with lemon and limes outside, I love making the drink and its so refreshing its like a health tonic! Barbara whats best for eating on WW for BBQ? I am going to get some WW sausages (1 point) and stick to chicken and salad and not bother with potatoes until I get to my goal, any other hints or tips? Have a good gay everyone be back later to check in on your day and report progress. Day 4 for me - hooray!!!

Comment

hey girlfriends!
                    Hope this finds ALL spunky & smilin'

OK, I'll start out w/my leg lift explanation, I guess.
                    It's really pretty simple, butseems to work better than an Ab-Lounge (which I had for yrs & hardly ever used...it never seemed to do anything!)

I have a place in the corner of the hottub, where I can brace my elbows & support my body weight w/my arms, keeping my butt off of the seat. Also ifpossible , press elbows out towards corners, putting more work-out options on your arms @ thesame time (isometric?)

Then I slowly lower my legs, holding them straight out in front (sometimes toes pointed, sometimes feet up)Lower legs to bottom of tub, but don't let your feet touch the bottom, just get w/in an inch or so. Slowly repeat, raising legs again to the surface, or just above, then back down. I do 100- 200, depending on how much time I have.
                    They seem to be more effective done slowly, for some reason.
                    Hope this makes sense.
                    If ya don't have a place, where ya can support yourelbows, you can still do them by putting your hands under your butt & keeping your body off the seat, so you're still supporting your weight w/your arms.
                    Hope this makes sense.
                    Soundslike we should all get together & do some paddling Ladies! I lived in Colorado for 20 yrs. I've been thru the Grand Canyon4 times. I now livein Oregon on the Rogue River. I mostly just do the "Old Lady" "float &bloat" stuff anymore,...but I still love to get out & paddle w/my doggie whenever I can.
                    Daisy< I hate that when I loose a post! Sucks huh?

Keepwkg, I love your ice cubew/lime idea. Will have to try that!

Tippler, sounds like you live in a beautiful place. I'm still in the process of selling our house. I'll really miss living right on the river, but I'm sure I'll still spend a lot of time on it. My neighbors are letting me keep my truck & kayak parked there, and I have access to te river w/ a huge gravel bar & beach.

Barbara, I lived @ the South Rim back in 1980, before I moved to Telluride (back in another lifetime...) Beautiful country. Sure miss it.

OK gotta go do my legg lifts & get my A$$ in gear! Already did my elipticle & gazelle...
                    Havea wonderful one1
                    Hugs & blessings
                    Judie
                    The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Hi ,

Great to read your posts and they are very inspirational. Keepwalking, I could eat BBQ for every meal, no joke. I fill myself up with salad, and I put everything, mushrooms, black olives, tomatoes, sugar snap peas, dill, cilantro, cucumber, apples, anything you like. It's more like a big Hsurprise in every bite. I use the spring mix lettuce. Chicken, pork chop, shishkabobs, steak anything you like, just try not to eat the fat, I know it's sooo good but...anyway eat lots of veggies except starchy ones like corn, potatoes you know..
                      Daisy good job! Hi St.Jude, you're so luck to live on a river too, it's the best.
                      Everyone have a great AF weekend. You know really, at social gatherings, not everyone is drinking AL, just check it out next time you go to a social event. We're just thinking we are the only ones not drinking.
                      THOUGHTS become THINGS
                      choose the GOOD
                      ones!

Comment

I would love to join this inspiring thread. I am Day 3 AF & feeling good. I used to drink a bottle of wine many nights of the week & it has stopped me from getting healthy. I did start running a year ago & did manage to run 2 half marathons last year- but each time I felt slow & sluggish & very overweight. I am planning to run a full marathon in December & even though I know it is amazing to have completed 2 halves- I will not achieve this without stopping drinking & losing the weight. I have set myself a goal to lose 26 pounds to run 26 miles. But I need to take it 1 day at a time. I am sitting here on a Sat night drinking a glass of chilled raspberry squash- would normally be on my third glass at least by now.
                        Walked/ ran 4 miles this morning & took my kids to the beach.

I am 45 & have 4 fab kids. I am recovering from a miscarriage 2 weeks ago- hit the bottle big time after that. But today I am doing well.
                        Thanks,
                        SarahJane x
                        SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

Hi SarahJane,

How long did it take you to do the 4 mi.? Wow, seems like you are a real athlete.
                          I'm sorry about the miscarriage. I had one too when I was 19 (ages ago). I didn't drink then, but I'm sure if I did that's where I would have ended up. I was out of sorts for a very long time, I remember that.
                          Good for you to focus on exercise. It always helps to clear my mind. Welcome to this thread, I think there are some very very nice people here.
                          THOUGHTS become THINGS
                          choose the GOOD
                          ones!

Comment

Day 19 AF for me and Day 4 for exercise. Have to run, but I'll catch up on everyon's progress after work.
                            AF since 06/27/2011

Of all vices, drinking in the most imcompatible with greatness. Sir Walter Scott

Comment

Hi Everyone and welcome SJ xx well its day 5 for me JUST!!!!! Have to be honest found saturday tough! Dont know why as was feeling really positive and then about 4pm starting resenting everything and everyone and felt angry that i had made this stupid committment ( can you tell who is talking - oh yes the demon within) I gave into it for a while in my head and felt sorry for myself and then shook myself down went for a short fast walk came back pored a diet coke and ate healthil;y at the BBQ ( thanks for the tips B) and here I am day 5 and proud as punch as its the first friday and saturday without wine in........................ages and ages!! I am going to do a food shop now and fill my house with healthy nutritous things, it will feel so starnge not going down the wine aisle! But am so pleased I am not! Going for a run at 4 today, SJ so impressed with your running I have only ever made 10 miles and that was really hard! Check in later lovely ladies, have a good day/evening/afternoon?? More later xxx Tips how you doing ?? Did the cherry juice work?? Come and tell us no matter what! x

Comment

Hi everyone,
                                Thanks for the lovely welcome. Day 4 & doing well- but know I can get slack about it. Have been here before so many times- it will be next week that those little voices will start talking to me- you all know what I mean.
                                Barbara- I don't time my running. And I am no athlete! Just do what you can & try to push yourself a little further each time. There is no competition- only yourself. Some days will be better than others. I found booking myself into a run a few months down the track really helped- and following a training program. And not drinking! I usually eat really healthily but when drinking the crap is there big time. It is all gone now. I was at the beach yesterday & everyone was eating rubbish- I had strawberries & nuts.
                                I have to plan my eating each day & make sure I have everything I need. I am feeding 6 of us here and it is easy to run out of the good stuff. I get low blood sugars- all the years of dieting & drinking didn't help- so I need to keep the protein up & eat well.
                                Have a great day.
                                SJ x
                                SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

Working...
                                X