Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 days, no wine, no junk, lots of exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gals and welcome Newbies; you are rounding out our little group of middle-aged athletes LOL... wait a second that's nothing to laugh at.. we really are something to be proud of... a group of ladies who have drowned their emotions in wine or other spirits and have decided to recapture their youthful days of clear-headed athleticism. Wow... imagine our mothers at our age... mine was sitting in her corner chair watching the news, smoking her cigarettes and drinking beer after beer. Her only exercise was walking from the chair to the bathroom...

Keep walking, so glad you managed to fight the demon. Some times that voice is so loud and make "perfect sense" NOT... big victory to go through your first weekend sober.

I passed a huge test yesterday and last night. I'll briefly describe the scope of my victory. I am an English speaking Canadian living in French speaking Quebec with my French partner. I speak enough French to painfully get by. Normally I use booze to overcome my shyness in speaking my broken French with these non-English speaking people. The culture here is very unique. It's a culture based on freedom, drinking, laughter, friends and family. It's actually a great place to make friends and have fun. We belong to a Harley Club and yesterday went on a Poker Run which means, we all meet at a Bar at 9:00 a.m and drive the Harley in large numbers through the gorgeous countryside from one bar to another where everyone stops and grabs a beer, socializes and eventually we all meet up at the original bar to party some more and play games such as The Slow Race, etc. Imagine the opportunity that was taunting me. I could tell you stories but will spare you the details except to say IT WAS IN MY FACE all day. I came VERY close and something stopped me. At bedtime I was surprised to realize that I had done it. I actually think that two things stopped me: 1. I have actually turned the corner and 2. You people, my MWO friends. Without your encouragement I would have definitely caved and I am still shocked and surprised (and thrilled) that I didn't. Thank you, thank you, thank you !!

Today I will jump on my mini-trampoline and hubby and I will take a long walk on the hills. But right now I am heading to the hot tub to try those leg lifts.

I will report back later. Well done girls on your sober weekend and for AF time achieved. I am really getting into this challenge. Now it's getting to be fun.

Tips
    Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

"If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
    ? Lao-Tzu

Comment

:thumbs:

Well done Tipps.

That had to be really hard. What does your hubby think?
      THOUGHTS become THINGS
      choose the GOOD
      ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

Because I only drank 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of wine a night and he helped me, he thinks we drink a little too much but is not stopping himself. Let's face it. He's a lot bigger than I am and for his weight he's drinking maybe at the max for non-problematic drinking. I, on the other hand, am under 5 feet and under 130 lbs.

He thinks I am great for abstaining but not a hero because he never really saw too much of a problem in the first place. He actually said I should have a drink yesterday because I was quiet... NO WAY.. then it would be back to square one.

Feeling good this morning, Barb1234? Hope so.
        Tipplerette

I do this for my children, my grandchildren, my health, my peace of mind, and mostly for the opportunity to learn to live with my true, unfiltered, clear-headed, vulnerable self.

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Tipplerette;1126144 wrote: Because I only drank 1/2 to 3/4 of a bottle of wine a night and he helped me, he thinks we drink a little too much but is not stopping himself. Let's face it. He's a lot bigger than I am and for his weight he's drinking maybe at the max for non-problematic drinking. I, on the other hand, am under 5 feet and under 130 lbs.

He thinks I am great for abstaining but not a hero because he never really saw too much of a problem in the first place. He actually said I should have a drink yesterday because I was quiet... NO WAY.. then it would be back to square one.

Feeling good this morning, Barb1234? Hope so.
          Wow, good for you. Stopping when it's not really out of hand is much better. I feel great it's my day 14. Finding I have more and more energy, and the depression is just about gone. I think AL just fueled the bad feelings.
          You are a little munchkin aren't you? I'm short too 5'2. LOL!
          THOUGHTS become THINGS
          choose the GOOD
          ones!

AF since 5/22/11 :boxer: Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.............

Comment

5' 2" is a pretty tiny size too. We can't hold it like those tall gals...

Comment here: I don't miss it. I realize that fun is to be had without it and the test is when hubby and everyone else is drinking and I am still laughing my head off with them. They do look very bleary eyed and I do the clean-up myself when entertaining as they are all too sozzled to help but actually I don't miss it... YET... click - something is changed.

Goal: After a month or so of abstaining I want to be able to have a glass of wine for a very special occasion; not a Saturday night party, not a hamburger at home but New Years Eve, my birthday, etc. If that works itself into daily drinking then another 30 days followed by forever AF.

What are your long term goals gals?
            Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Evening all xx Great to hear everyone's news but am so pleased for you Tips and the challenge of yesterday, OMG how strong are you!!!! You must be bouncing sky high today and i totally agree that knowing we have all made a commitment to each other keeps us strong, that i think had a major part in why i did not cave in last night, its so so great we can all support each other, I have not set any long term goals yet as just want to see how i feel after the 30 days, ideally of course i would love to just be able to enjoy a glass of wine at weekend but i kinda know that hasnt worked for me in the past as a few drinks at weekend leads to drinking all week and a few on new years eve has meant drinking all January! so we shall see. Had a fab day today, and i also am really getting into te challenge, am addicted to it ha ha! Had a great bike ride today my thighs were shaking after but i enjoyed a lovely soak in the bath with a mag and then a WW pizza ( 11 points B) plus jelly and fresh strawb (no points) and of course my lime and soda, bought some elderflower cordial today but think i prefer my L & S best, what soft drinks do you all like, I know you like your cherry juice Tips, any other suggestions folks!
              I have made my exercise plan for the week as back at work tomorrow, my bag is packed, my lunch is ready, my gym kit is packed, i feel so in control rather than stumbling to bed and rushing round like a mad woman in the morning desperately wishing I could stay in bed! Well i intend to spring out of bed tomorrow and embrace my first incredibly sober Monday in ages - hooray! Will be 6 days, how time flies when you are living in the moment not wishing it on so you can drink!
              So its yoga after work for me tomorrow plus a swim and i will update on exercise plan for each day on a daily basis otherwise if i do it all here and now i am in danger of boring you all to death!
              Please keep posting, its so motivational, be lovely to hear from our more silent friends but i know your out there and i hope you are being kind to yourself! Sleep for me now, sweet dreams all xx Hey Mia how was day 10??????
              Keeps x:happyheart:

Comment

ps: Am i right we have me - Uk, Tips - Canada, Mia- woop woop?, Queenbug?? Determination - ?? Bluesdancer - Vegas, Looking for peace - ? Saint Jude - Oregon, Barbara -Arizona, daisy45 - ? and Sarah Jane - Ireland. So anyone else from UK, I am trying to work out what the time difference between us all is but......? Its 22.04 here in the UK, I would love to know where are us ladies are from?? Tune in when you get a minute and let us know. Btw, was watching celebrity rehab with Dr drew, boy o boy did those addicts have it hard to detox! what an awful disease addiction is! I haven't experienced that level of addiction i only know what dependency feels like but thank goodness we caught it now, it just creeps up on you and the next thing you know its controlling your life! Stay healthy my friends and let me know the exercise plan for Monday x

Comment

Hi girls. (I am 5'3 & 3/4'' which is the average height of women in the west!)
                  Tips- you did so well on your day out- the Harley must be fab. Your drinking pattern sounds very similar to mine most of the time & my husband doesn't really think I have a 'problem'. He has a glass with dinner & one later- but I was having 1 or 2 before dinner- 1 or 2 with dinner & then maybe another glass after. I would always be looking at the bottle wondering how much more I could get away with drinking. Was normally 3/4 bottle most nights. But I felt horrible & a bit hungover most mornings- and sometimes totally over did it. Have had a few blackouts over the last couple of years & I find it really scary not being able to remember an hour or two of my night out. My husband would then tell me that I need to stop before I have too much- but he is so moderate all of the time he doesn't understand not being able stop.
                  And I have always promised myself that if I can't drink in moderation then I wont drink at all. So last Thurs (when I had a horrible hangover, couldn't go to work the next day, had 2 days of stomach cramps, didn't sleep much & was a bit hazy about what I had been saying the night before etc) I found this site.
                  I haven't had a drink since. Am exercising every day, eating very well, taking my supplements & reading lots of positive stuff. And reading the stories here is making a huge difference. Am planning to get up early tomorrow morning & go for a 5 mile run. Normally have a hangover on Mondays as I always have 1 glass to many on Sundays- takes me until Tuesday to feel human again. Then I start again.

My long term goal- (I would also love to have the odd glass at Christmas etc. However I am not sure how realistic this is for me- my 71 year old Mother drinks very heavily.)
                  So my goal is to live a full, happy & healthy life without the need for AL.

Thanks girls,
                  SJ x
                  SJ xxx :groupluv:

'We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act but a habit.' Aristotle

Comment

well that makes 3 of us then because my hubby is a very moderate drinker, he enjoys really good wine with dinner but one glass is often enough, whereas like you i have had a few cheeky glasses before, during and after dinner! Sometimes its made me want to drink more because he drinks less which sounds crazy but it could drive me mad that he could take or leave it and then on a night i wanted him to leave it because we only had one bottle he would start filling his glass up ad i would be in a panic shouting inside my head, get off my wine! As the song says, those dark days are over!! Night night all

Comment

Thank you to Tips who invited me to join you. Have read thru how well you ALL are doing and Tips and Keeps please see paragraph below that I posted elsewhere last evening (Sat).

Having a little harder time tonite. Interesting because I started the L-Glut yesterday. Last night being Friday did not even really phase me. I've had a very active day (run, lifted wts, played 18 holes of golf) so I am tired. Did not want to take even a short nap though because sleep is still a little iffy for me. I'm doing laundry, got my outfit ready for church tomorrow, and (please don't laugh) found myself missing my wine glass so I went ahead and poured my Club Soda with Limes in a wine glass. It helped.

Tips - your cherry juice in wine glass?
                      Keeps - going along just fine and then whoops - issue on Sat nite. I too made it.

I may beat you all in age - 62, will be 63 in August. Am in FL; address is MN but will be FL permanently come August.

Daisy - "kissed chardonnay goodbye 19 days ago" Good for you and for me same vice, 7 days ago.

Tips - LT goal similar to yours. 30 day AF; then moderation although I'm thinking weekends rather than special occasion. Even if it becomes one weeknight & 2 weekend nights with a drink ceiling, I'd consider that moderating.

Barbara - can answer your question re: running as have run approx 60 marathons and 20 ultramarathons. 6 mi/hr is a 10 min mile; very doable. In my 40's I ran 9 min miles, certainly don't anymore. Now I walk/run as in walk 3 min, run 2 min, w-3, r-2; find that doable now as have osteoporosis in hips ( genetic, not from running, and got worse after chemo).

SaraJane - congrats on the 1/2 marathons & what a wonderful marathon goal! Where is it going to be?

I'm on a diff end of stick here in that I'm so worried about gaining wt by NOT drinking. I certainly seem to be eating more. I'm 5'4", goal wt is 112; usually weigh about 114-115. Have been drinking for 35 yrs, did all that running during this time but think I got into more trouble this past year because of starting a Fast 5 diet (eat within a window of 5 hrs; fast for 19 everyday). At first I felt great and got to goal wt and bought size 2's. However, to fit my drinking in that 5 hr window I was drinking on an almost empty stomach. Not good. Because I have not been feeling good eating several times a day I went back to F-5 today because what better time to do it than when AF. After yest exercise and hitting 20K steps (primary addiction is my Digiwalker) felt tired today so did 6 mile bike ride.

Sorry for book. One more thing - dh does not think we have that big of a problem but agrees we should cut back as we pretty much got into daily drinking and then, of course, had the occasional overindulgence. More me than him because as one person said, I weigh a lot less than he does so 3 glasses for me is a lot diff than 3 glasses for him.

Again, thanks, I know having to report daily is going to help tremendously. I was posting on "moderation" thread, nice people there, but not very active. This will be great!
                      The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

Glad you could join us ToMyHealth. You are an athletic 62 year old. I don't see you gaining weight unless you replace alcohol with something like Pepsi. Need to keep with your soda. 0 calories. My cherry juice which I am now diluting with water is about the same calories as wine so my weight should stay the same but I intend to cut out the sweet juice as soon as I feel stronger about my willpower. We'll see. I know you will enjoy the antics of us gals, always onto some sporting activity.

Funny story: I took the kayak out for a spin today. We normally launch off a muddy part of our property because we have a path cleared to it. Today we found a flat rock to launch the kayak from. The rock is at the bottom of the hill and our cottage is on the top of the hill and it is uncleared bush between the rock and the cottage. We had just found this rock and will clear a path tomorrow to it. Anyways after my paddle, I coasted smoothly onto this rock, got out without falling in the river, tied the kayak to a small log lying on the ground and then hubby came down the steep embankment to help me up. He brought down some clippers and started clearing scrub and tossing branches into the river to catch the current and drift off. Hubby snapped a branch off which flung itself into my face and I threw myself backwards in the water to avoid it... we were chuckling about that when he picked up a log and hurled it with all his might into the flowing river. The kayak was attached to that log and the kayak went flying down the fast flowing river. Hubby in pj bottoms and work boots had to hurl himself into the water to grab the branch with the kayak tied to it. I peed myself laughing and thought "What fun we can have sober." The two of were bent over belly laughing.

Keep Walking and Sarah Jane, you just described my exact drinking pattern to a tea. I laughed out loud about eyeing the bottle when there's only one. Since we make our own there was always more but in a restaurant the familiar joke was the waiter had to pour the first two and put the bottle next to me. Just kidding around but with an edge of truth. Nightly routine around here before I began to abstain: Open the bottle as I am cooking, sip on that, keep up with the big guy during the meal, top up the glass and bring it into the living room, sit there and sip away and hope the phone doesn't ring. Ask hubby if he wants another glass after the first bottle is done and if he does and sometimes even if he doesn't, open the second bottle and plow into it. Usually only a glass each from the second bottle.... Stumble into bed and fall into a deep sleep then wake up at 3:00 a.m. feeling like crap. Oh those fond memories; what a joke. Now I can do the same thing except there is no booze in my delicious drink and it's still in a wine glass.

Day 5 done. Tomorrow I tie my record and the next day I break it.

I want to go to Europe next year and am looking for someone to exchange houses with for a few weeks... put that in your pipe and smoke it....
                        Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

:HTippler, I love your kayak story, too funny. If that were my Ex, he's have just let it float off downstream. Sure glad I lost that 170 lbs of a$$hole!

I had a friend helping me w/my kayak a few weeks ago. I had clipped my Bungee dog to the kayak w/his leash (he's really quik & not to be trusted, disloyal little "Shitterkee", will run off in a heartbeat)
                          My friend didn't notice Bungee was clipped to the kayak, and started loading it into the back of his truck...Almost hung my dog! It was funny tho. Had Bungee up on his hind legs, w/a very confused look on his face!

Great job on your poker ride Tippler!

I'm about 5'1", about 120 lbs, & 50 yrs old. I guess we do have a lot of similarities on this thread!

Did my leg lifts in the tub again today, tried something new... (ever checked out the web site, rubberduckyvibe.com or irubmyduckie.com ?)
                          A friend of mine sent me a new toy rubber ducky "toy" for my kayak, it's water proof!
                          It's meant to be a jokefor my kayak, but I tried squeezing it between my legs doing my leg lifts... LOL Not bad!
                          The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

Morning all and welcome tomyhealth x only a quickie as back at work this morning and it is the first Monday morning i have just a clear head and am bursting with positive energy! Off for my run/walk and then yoga tonight and from mow on will check in at night so see how you are all doing?? Loved your funny story Tips you are exactly right these moments are impossible when drink is the love of your life! As for eying he wine bottle so funny but so sad too, i can feel the shackled of the desire coming off slowly but surely! Let sNO MATTER WHAT keep talking to each other all of June, and then we can all reassess our relationship with wine ( why is it always wine for us lot?) and take it from there, enjoy your day my friends and keep walking or exercising and get that heart rate up and release those endorphins, we have to have that feel good factor on a daily basis! Ps tomyhealth, never heard of that diet before?? phew sounds really hard! More later, have a good day xx

Comment

Saint Jude, that was hilarious. I was just imagining your poor little pup looking at you appealingly, his little body stretched upright... "Momma, help... !!!" Will try those websites. I am always looking for an excuse to jump in the hot tub. I am the one who uses it the most around here. Love the salt water version.

Keep Walking, stay motivated. I love your positive energy, KW. Of course we will all be checking in during the whole month. I'll be checking in from the other side of the continent. I leave this Friday for a visit to Toronto to see my Dad and sister then continue to Vancouver to see my brother and his family then down to Seattle to see my newly separated sister and her kids. Ten days in all. I hesitated to join this thread knowing I would be on vacation for ten days during the month but if there wasn't that there would be another excuse for drinking ie. camping weekends, more Harley get-togethers etc. The world doesn't stop because Tip's on the wagon.

Have a great work-out KeepWalking and you too Saint Jude. S.J. you are at my ideal weight. I may get there some time this summer with all the moving I am doing since sober. I am finding I do a lot of my exercise after supper instead of ... you know.. You are a little shrimp too. Remember, it's not the size of the hammer, it's the force of the blow!!

Stay cool
                              Tips
                              Tipplerette

? Lao-Tzu

Comment

Good AF morning, Tipp, St. Jude, Keepwalking, SaraJane,

Well, I can't get a mile done in under 20 min. on the elliptical, so I'll just push for more distance. I have my resistance set at 10 which is the highest, and the incline is at 35 degrees, which is also the max. Maybe the elliptical is a different animal than just running. Anyway, can't do a mile in 6 min., or even 10 min.
                                Doesn't really matter as long as I'm exercising!
                                ToMyHealth, what do you eat when you have your 5 hr. window? Do you ever get hungry in the 19 hrs. of fasting? Interesting concept.
                                I may start back into yoga again. I have lots of tapes by Wai Lani. Sure is good to feel good again!
                                THOUGHTS become THINGS
                                choose the GOOD
                                ones!

Comment

Working...
                                X