X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: Repost.

Hi Keegan,
    Today is a new day, I have not been in jail (Thank god) for wrecking my vehicle. Have put it in the ditch a couple of times, had to walk home in a raging snowstorm, damn near froze to death. Once had to call my boyfriend, who dosen't drink much, I could have drowned, truck sitting half way up in water. I am trying to quit, have not yet but am not drinking as much as I used to. This site is my saving grace. Keep coming, it will help. It's addictive and that is what most of us need to get away from alcohol. Someone to talk to that is just like we are and understands. I have spilled my guts on this site and what a relief it has been.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hi,
      I just registered on the post today. Been drinking since I was 14, am 33 now. This past weekend, I remember nothing of Fri, Sat, or Sun. woke up Mon. with bruises all over me from falling down. I don't like myself, what do my kids and husband think. This is the first time I have tryed to quit, but have been to AA (courts, DUI, parents) didn't like it. Was very happy to find this post. My question is, is deciding in your mind to quit enough before the sups and book get here? Is there any sup I should go buy immediatly? I think boredom is my biggest trigger so have signed up for volenteer work to help. I haven't had a drink since Sun. (Wed. now) But am up all night with terrible hot sweats and then goosebumps and freezing- how long will this last. Reading you all has really helped these past couple days-thank you all.
      -Beth

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

I discovered this site yesterday. It started with a report on NPR that said that coffee counteracts the effects of alchohol in causing cirhossis of the liver. I found myself thinking, "That's good news. Just drink more coffee." Then I realized how crazy that sounds and I googled "alcholism" and found this site. I was so excited that I downloaded the book. I've been kicking around the site this morning, and I noticed that someone referred to Campral. What is the difference between that and Topamax? I'm planning to make an appt. with my dr., and I want to be prepared. So many of you seem to have had problems with getting doctors to prescribe that it worries me. It takes nerve for me just to post this, and the idea of trying to persuade someone that I need a medication that is not even recommended for the treatment of problem drinking seems pretty intimidating.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

fsophiah,
          Welcome.

Campral is for abstinance, it is a drug approved to help with alcohol. Topa is not approved for alcohol issues, but it does help with moderation. You may have more luck with Campral since it is approved for this issue. Bring the Lancet article with you to the dr or better yet, drop it off ahead of time so your doc can read it. You should be able to find it under the research tab.

Marcie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Thanks, Marcie. What did you do? It sounds like Topa is the better drug for the goal of moderation. Maybe I need to find a doctor that I know is sympathetic to the program.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Hey Beth welcome aboard & congratulations on 4 days! The worst of it should be about over... hang in there! You should be able to get some L-glutamine at any drugstore(amino acid), and kudzu you might find at a health food store(I got mine off the web-it was cheaper)also Meletonin, to help you sleep, you should be able to get at a drugstore as well.
              Hopefully you'll start feeling better any day...if you can a nice soak bath might help. Your skin is one of your bodies biggest cleasing organs. Keep posting & again welcome ... Glad you're here. There's a lot of wonderful people here & some great support. Hugs, Judie

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

My doctor did prescribe topa, but I was unable to take it for medical reasons. I now take Campral. Some people have better luck with a psychatrist.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

welcome!

hey fsophia -- i heard that npr report too and thought the same thing! how funny! i'm on my second week, day 4 of having nothing at all to drink and i couldn't feel better. it's a cautious optimism because last week i had a setback but i am working so hard. listening to the cds a couple of times a day and repeating my suggestions all day long it seems! i appreciate so much the support i've received during this short timeframe and feel like i belong somewhere for the first time in ages. as i said the other day, it's incredibly freeing to really talk about this stuff for the very first time ever. we all know far too well about hiding our issues...i never even admitted to a close friend that i could polish off an entire bottle of wine in an hour! now to be able to say it to people who won't judge and understand...amazing. here's hoping everyone has a great day, stay strong and keep workin' it!!

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

topa

hey, CAN SOMEONE HELP ME???

i ORDERED TOPA FROM A PLACE IN THE U.K. called MAGELLANRX on May 3lst. I paid cash and have not received nor heard from this company.
                    Anyone heard of MagellanRx?

Is there anywhere else that I can get the topa on line without a prescription?

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: topa

Moodus,
                      Check out the MEDICATION thread, there are two online companies that have already been tried posted there.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Looking forward to the same

Your comments make me realize what I want to accomplish. I have begun to hate myself and the fact that I have to drink every night just to ...what...go to bed? How did I get here...all I know is I want to leave this routine and optimize the beauty life holds in store for me. Thank you for your words ... they are very encouraging.

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Just stuff

Sorry I can't help with the topa scrip...and Bkincade, your comments are so on target! I hope everyone had a good day. I've been using the CDs for over a week now and i must say i really do feel like they are kicking in. I play the shorter hypnosis one at bedtime, then sometimes a bit of the sleep one. I find myself thinking about this program all the time, seeking out ways to keep it going. Today is my 5th day without a drink at all! Tonight i attended a meeting and for the first time in years, sat there without cursing people who like to hear themselves talk because they were cutting into my drinking time. The clarity with which I see some of these things now is overwhelming...truly. However, I'm still being very cautious. I have a couple of social events this weekend, that will be the true test...wishing everyone a great weekend! Stay strong! I hope I can...

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

day 6 on topa

today is day 6 on topa for me and I am still drinking. not nearly as much as befor but it has not killed the urge so far. i am takin 25 in the am and 25 in the pm. maybe i need to increase the pm dose to 50 or try something else. i feel so weak because i cant beat this stupid addiction!!! i have been having depression which I know the drinking does not help at all but I just can not seem to pull out of it. this is the third time in my life this depression thing has happened to me, last time was 10 years ago. harder this time for some reason. any suggestions or help would be appriciated.
                            jb

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

Re: day 6 on topa

Hi Jb,

This addiction is a beast that you need to fight from the inside out. Do not feel weak because you are having a hard time. And PLEASE do not feel weak because you are depressed. Get your fighting shoes and get ready to kick some butt!!

You are right in that the alcohol is making the depression worse. Have you tried seeking professional for your depression? I know in the end it is the only thing that helped me with mine. There are amazing medications to help you as well. There is absolutly no reason you need to suffer like this!

As for the topa, I know some people have increased their doses more quickly however I would not make a 50mg increase. I would try and stick to the dosing schedule as much as possible. Perhaps increase 25 mg a few days early, I did that. Someone else may have a different opinon on this. As you get to higher doses you will feel more relief, give it time.

Hey, are you doing any other parts of the program Jb? The supps, the cds, exercise...all of these help with depression and with the drinking. Really, I had both problems quite badly and I don't seem to have either anymore! The clearing cd really helped "clear" alot baggage from life. If you are not using the cds, give it some thought.

I hope this helps Jb. You don't have to suffer alone! There is plenty of help out there for you! Hang in there, it does get better!

Donna

Comment

Hi I'm a Newbie

day 6 on topa

donna,
                                odly enough, today i feel a little bit nor normal. i am seeing a professional for the depression, just started. i take paxil for the depression, was on 10 mg, just increased to 20 about 2 weeks ago. maybe that is beginning to helt also. i am really laxed on the excersize part of it but the last few days i have been forcing myself to do vigorus work around the house and yard. i think it is helping a bit. no cds so far. thanks for the help donna.
                                jb

Comment

Working...
                                X