I need a new drug, I mean church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I most certainly belive in God. But I don't go to church. I don't know how to look for one. I would like one that is rather non-denominational I think. Any advice on where to start?
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Hey Beaner

Hi Beaner!

I don't know how big of a City/Town you live in - but I would check for a non denominational Church that will share their Statement of Faith. If that lines up with what you believe - try it out! It doesn't hurt to check out some Churches. Kind of like "Church shopping".

The things I personally would be looking for are

1. Belief in the Trinity (God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit)
    2. Belief in the Authority of the Bible as the living Word of God
    3. Belief that Jesus was born of a virgin, died on the cross and was raised after 3 days and is alive and returning!

There are others I could add - but without any of these 3 - I would be off to shop the next Church!

Hope this helps!
    Liv
    AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

What Liv said...You'll know when you find the right one. You will feel welcome and you will look forward to going every week. I think it's important to like the pastor. We have new pastors in our Church and they are Wonderful!!! Very down to earth!

Good luck. It might help to pray about this.
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Thanks. A few people have invited us to their church. They are professionally associated so I wonder.... what if doesn't ring our bell? (gosh that thought goes straight to "bell ringer" joke) Anyway, how would I/we deal with that if I/we didn't care for that person's church? I feel uncomfortable just thinking about it, other than sniggering about the joke. I suppose I will be guided through this and have the faith that I will. When someone wants to find a church, God is surely going to lend a hand. Don't you think?
        sigpic

Comment

Greeneyes,
          What church did your parents bring you up in ? ( Sorry, not knowing you, maybe that's a no brainer ! ) I have been around....brought up Catholic, I married Episcopalian. Then devoriced & married Catholic. Durning my time between my two marriagies I attended The Washighton Seminary College. At that time I relized that religion is just tradition.....What is important is that you find out about our relationship with God & his son Jesus Christ. ( Thier are many here than can help you with that ! I can if you'ld like ? ) LOL IAD !
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD, I was brought Episcopalian. I was the one to be disciplined in communion class - if you can imagine that! Parents divorced and mother went back to Presbyterian. Then died. Father dropped out when 2nd wife died. But that's a long story. I just feel like I need a nitch. I got the itch. When you get an itch, it is your higher self speaking to you. At least I think so. So I want to find a church nitch. And get to know people there. But I feel like I need something non pragmatic. Just a place to commune and worship. Maybe it's a call for me to meet some new people besides my drinking friends and develop my spiritual side. You know? And yes I understand what you mean about the tradition. But I think maybe I need that right now. Something is pulling me there.
            sigpic

Comment

What about an Evangelical Free Church? I use to be a part of one and I am thinking about going back as I feel something is missing in my life. Anyway, just my opinion.

Comment

Greeneyes,
                Find the church of you upbringing.....If it does'nt suit you try something else. All the churches these days have come closer to uniting....My church which is Cathloic, doen't seem like the old church....they have reached out to other denominations and joined hands to help the needed in our community. Thier invoved in Project Hope down in LA. & Miss. with all the our sister churchs in our town. ( Catholic, Protestant, Jewish ) Lot's of things have changed......The prejudices of the past have began to fall down. IAD !
                ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                Dr. Seuss

Comment

I was brought up Methodist--in a tiny little Church in my hometown. Now I go to the Presbyterian Church, like I said, we have wonderful pastors. But I'm still not ready to give up my ties to the little Church. Being more involved with the Church has been a very important "tool" in this journey for me. I have even been known to ask my Bible group to pray for me. When I read posts from people that say they don't believe, it makes me sad that they can't utilize this "tool".
                  It could be uncomfortable if you don't like this church, I guess you just keep looking and asking around until you do find one. And yes, I offer prayer as an option, cause I do believe God will help in your decision!
                  The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Ok...so I'm the only baptist in the group......baptist don't drink you know????????
                    The only thing I can think of is.......visit a lot of different churches.
                    And don't feel like you have to explain....just say "we're checking out ALL..."
                    You will find it......God will let you know when you do....and then after some time.....it may change.....there are seasons in our lives. different needs at different times..... Just don't give up....it is out there.....find it..
                    Some churches are "reformed"...which means that they are not stuck in a rut.......
                    Praying for you....
                    :hNancy
                    "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Go where you are comfortable...it all leads to the same place...do you like mustard or ketchup on your hot dogs? God does not care..whatever is to your liking...you may want to start with Epsicopal since you know about that already..

Visiting churches is a great, enjoyable adventure...enjoy...this is a part of your life journey
                      "Everything you try to avoid about yourself
                      will keep playing out insidiously in your life.
                      This creates the perfect opportunity for you to embrace,
                      love and heal this part of self."

Comment

I found the Episcopal Church made sense to me. The priests are scholars. There is a rich history and tradition. My return to church happened when I had children and I wanted them in Sunday School. And hey...Here was a church that served wine! I think where ever you feel loved is the right place to be. I also found that it is very difficult to change churches. As teen-agers my children went to different churches. My daughter got involved with the Lutheran Church because it had a stronger teen youth group. My son got involved with the Methodist church to go with his girl friend. I would go for special occasions but always returned to the Episcopal church "where everybody knows your name". But that familiarity comes with time and comittment.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey Greeneyes!
                          I'm writing from South Africa, do you have Christian Centres in America? Our Church is more about developing your relationship with Father God. Tradition is more about repeating comfortable rituals than building a relationship with Him.
                          It's also about being a blessing to others. How many people really stop to think, what Jesus would do in life's situations today? My hubby (he's the alco) was really rude to me once & I said to him, do you think Jesus would've talked to me that way if I had done something wrong?
                          Looking at waht you can do for others,even a smile, changes the focus from you, onto others. It's amazing how your problems fade when you decide to help another. I teach Sunday School coz it helps me "give" to the kids, kids need to know someone will bend down and really listen to their funny, weird, sad stories.
                          Hope you find a place & get involved. Building a relationship with Father is like being an athlete, you gotta practice every day or you'll become "unfit" spiritually.
                          God bless you.
                          Luv Artcat

Comment

Good point, artcat. I got too busy to train at one point and people missed me and I simply said "you don't train, you don't race". I had not thought of how that applied to spirituality.

And thank you to all others who have responded. I will find my place.
                            sigpic

Comment

A lot of non-denominational churches like to speak in tongues which scares the shit out of me and they also stand up and sing and put their arms around your waists. That freaks me out too.

I like Unity or Unitarian. @ the Unity I went to, each service ended with the song, Let There Be Peace On Earth. I love that song. And women are ordained!

I also like Franciscan Catholics quite a bit. I like Episopalians too. They do the labyrinth walks @ some locations. Lutherans are ok too.

It is very hard to find a good fit. You might find your sacred space is in the woods though and not in a building.

I am sure I am like Helen- of no help @ all.

I like Seventh Day Adventists for not eating meat.

Creation Spirituality is the best for me- but good luck find that!

Comment

Working...
                              X