A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right, Kate, his delivery makes it accessible and easy to digest. Renegade, I know what you mean about understanding and being able to tolerate and even have compassion for difficult people. When you have dealings with the mean boss lady, does she kind of deflate after seeing she does not affect you so much? Back down or chill out or whatever you want to call it? I see it in people I deal with, if I let them spew after awhile they come around and behave better. Not all the time, but even the ones who don't, they don't get to me so much. This is something I have tried on my own, but Tolle let me know it was okay to be observant, watch ego in myself and others and recognize it. I keep working on my workbook online too.
    The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

I am still really digging this book. Well, actually, I quit reading and am just watching the webinars. Good stuff. I really like the part in chapter 4 about role playing. I have played the role of an alcoholic and I chose not to now.

Comment

I just heard from Sean Hannity (yes the right wing talk radio guy) that he is reading this book and really impressed by it and an earlier book by the same author. I see Dx has this book too so I'm starting to peek into it.
        nosce te ipsum
        (Know Thyself)

Comment

Here is a clip of the Oprah webinars:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTn_9QiFsiQ[/video]]YouTube - Ch. 4 part 8 - A New Earth webcast - OprahEckhart.com

Comment

OMG! Did you hear Tolle tell The Duck Story tonight on the Web Event? Too cool!

Comment

Lost!

Stand still. The trees ahead and bushes beside you
              Are not lost. Wherever you are is called Here,
              And you must treat it as a powerful stranger,
              Must ask permission to know it and be known.
              The forest breathes. Listen. It answers,
              I have made this place around you.
              If you leave it, you may come back again, saying Here.
              No two trees are the same to Raven.
              No two branches are the same to Wren.
              If what a tree or a bush does is lost on you,
              You are surely lost. Stand still. The forest knows
              Where you are. You must let it find you.

A poem by David Wagoner - as read by Oprah last night!
              I just love this.
              :h
              *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

love it,love it,love it

Comment

The forest breathes- I LOVE that line.

Thanks for sharing the poem for all. Each week really does get better.

Comment

look out kids, the garlicky one is on the "New Earth" trail. Dx has been quietly reading the book and I heard Sean Hannity raving about Eckart Tolle on the AM radio. So I got the 9 CD audio book format spoken by the author (since I drive so much) and have started to listen to it today at home. Wowsers! i hear a lot of the old contemporaries of Lao Tse (Tao Tse Ching) as well as Thich Naht Hahn and even Wayne Dyer, yet his command of language makes it much more clear to me and yet precise without sounding like a lecture. Love it!
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Det, are you enrolled in the class? Is Dx? Somehow it feels really cool to be on line with probably a million people worldwide at the same time. I hardly ever make it to the end as it starts 9 am my time, last week a fellow in Moscow was on at 5 am his time, making me feel like what a wimp conking out at 10. :H I listen on the ipod and catch up on the classes as podcasts. Lori, thanks for posting the poem, really great to read the words!
                      The more we appreciate life, the more life appreciates and bestows us with more goodness.

Comment

I am so looking forward to the Chapter 6 web event. I go to the book club tonight to discuss the chapter. Still shocks me to be @ a social event without alcohol even being served.

And so very interesting to learn what the satori means! I miss him. Satori, in Zen, is a moment of Presence, a brief stepping out of the voice in your head, the thought processes, and their reflection in the body as emotion. Satori is the arising of inner spaciousness where begfore there was the clutter of thought and the turmoil of emotion.

Chapter 6 also really explains the pain-body, or alcoholic, is part of our false self. The pain body waits for the best opportunity to arise whenever your lose Presence, perhaps after a few drinks. The pain-body needs your uncousciousness. It cannot tolerate the light of Presence.

How long does it take to become free of the pain-body (alcoholic, over-eater, depression,etc)? It takes no time @ all. Once you know it is the pain-body, the identification with it is broken. This means the pain-body cannot use you anymore and new itself any more through you. It may not be plesant, but it will not kill you.

This was such a good chapter. Eagerly await the discussion.

Happy reading!

Comment

what class?
                          nosce te ipsum
                          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi D,

2 things:

The author, Eckhardt Tolle, discusses each chapter with Oprah on Monday nights @ 6:00 PST and people from all over the world Skype in or send e-mail questions live to Tolle and he answers them. Very cool. The web event is taped and you can download it the next day from either oprah.com or itunes. It is free. Lasts 1.5 hr. It is called attending class.

Also, book clubs have popped up all over the world and you can join others once a week to discuss that week's chapter. I did that too. You can get the info again from oprah.com but you have to join her site, which is free, and then you search for book clubs by entering in your zip code.

Cool stuff!

Comment

ok, I just took my ego behind the wood shed for a minute.....
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

You can also download the free companion guide/workbook from oprah.com with questions for each week's chapter and how they relate to your life. I like question 6 from chapter 6. In it, it is stated:

Notice the emotion reaction- the arising pain-body- but DO NOT IDENTIFY WITH IT! If you do not identify with the emotional trigger, it cannot take over you and become the voice in your head.

Sounds very much like Dyer. So, I will notice when I want to drink but I will not identify with it and then the thought holds no power.

Comment

Working...
                                X