A New Earth by Eckhart Tolle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the pain-body must be under the governance of the middle brain by the sounds of this.

vewy intewesting
    nosce te ipsum
    (Know Thyself)

Comment

Hi all NewEarthers ---
      I took a break from the book while on vacation this past week. Actually, I started my break from it about a week before vacation. It's all very good stuff. And after all the shifts that occurred within me in the classes I took in January (some of you might remember) I had this very strong intuition to just let all the intentional learning rest for a bit, and just BE, in this new space I'm finding myself in.

I'm home from vacation now, and was immediately drawn to the chapters on the pain-body.
      I'm so VERY wanting to discuss all this with somebody, anybody!

The past few months of growth have truly altered me, and I want so much to talk about it, but not sure if I can even find the words. I'm hoping that you all who are reading this book can relate!
      Please do share details of your insights!
      I want to tell of mine, but it's all so quite intense...
      FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

MOW,

Do you have a term you like better than pain-body? I don't like that phrase.

It all relates well to addiction of any sort, esp. drinking too much. I think a yahoo group started with AA'ers and the book but since I don't like AA I have not ventured there. I'd love a discussion without the AA slant.

Comment

I wish I knew WTF language you are all speaking. I have the book on hold at the library, but frankly Oprah has worn on my last nerve so I am not too excited to read this heady book. I know, I know, KateH is going to yell at me and tell me I must, so I WILL TRY. I just feel like we are robots whenever we read what Oprah says we should read.
          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

lushy- you may need the remedial version. Just go to oprah.com and start with Chapter 1. Forget the book, just do the web events.

Comment

Lucky, the "pain-body" term worked for me, because I could immediately relate to it. "Pain-body" is the perspective from which I've lived most my life. Maybe I can see that so clearly now because I have discerned the difference between that way of being to my new way of being.

When I was in those classes something happened to me that I was finally at long last able to somehow disengage my way of being, my experience of moments and therefore life, from my past. Something broke. Whereas I always had identified my Self and every moment and expression of me with "growing up in an abusive environment" --- that's the 'pain-body' --- I somehow disengaged. I am no longer an extension of my past. Those things happened to me, no doubt. But no longer do they determine my actions, reactions, emotions, and ways of being right here right now.

I have been moving about in this life as an infant lately, for the most part. My 'pain body' gets activated when I have conflict with my daughter, but that's about it.

My life used to be filled with turmoil - usually within relationships, and in finances, etc. But I've realized that I haven't had a major crisis in quite some time. Actually, to investigate it, I haven't had crisis since I disengaged from defining myself by my painful childhood.

And ya know, it might even be a matter of perception, and how that perception shapes reality, to the point of creating energetic realities. For example --- Day 5 of vacation with my daughter, we show up at a hotel on the Pacific Ocean, 3 nights reserved, and when the lady runs my card I find I am completely and totally broke. I know - with absolute certainty - that with the prior energy running my life, of "everything sucks, and I'm a victim" - I would have ended up sleeping in my car with my little girl, for two nights. But as I am no longer living from that entity of 'life is out to make me miserable' -- the hotel lady took me on good faith and let me stay even though I couldn't pay until the 3rd day, when my paycheck was auto-deposited.

I have had the most amazing experiences with my "I am" self... that is, not my thinkng feeling self but beneath and beyond that. Amazing yet humbling, because it is so simple I can say, "where the hell have I been all this time." I'll tell more later of how this feels, as it is quite remarkable. But for now, during vacation I tried to summon those deep spiritual feelings, especially when I was arguing with my daughter, or slamming myself for running out of money, and they didn't quite come as I had been knowing the moments in the comfort of my home. (Might have also been difficult because I had surpassed my AF record, and non-smoking record, so was no retreating into my 'loser self'.)

Anyway - I did some hard, serious and intent work on separating myself from ego. (had to, when considering that I might have my girl sleeping in a car during spring break.) I didn't want her to see my fear, or moreso, my old certainty that I'm a loser. That was a very long night. I was fighting tooth and nail against my pain body, and doing it with no alcohol (making it a completely new experience, because if there ever was a trigger... well, you know the drill).

Ah hell, I forget my point now.
              I have lived all my life defining everything in relation (usually causal) to my prior pains. And that's gone now. Dont' do that anymore. And it's a whole new way of being.

I can still myself, that stillness they speak of in meditation practice. And inside I find infinity that I used to believe could only be found outside of ourselves. I find infinity within. And when I get there, I dissolve into complete connection.

Comment

Lushy, completely forget that this book is endorsed by Oprah.
                Just fucking read it.

I've actually been wondering how this experience, workng with Eckhart, will alter her way of being.
                She is human, after all. She's done more good for the planet than most, and so yeah, maybe she got all hung up on herself, and maybe working this book with Tolle will cause a shift in her.

Even if not, the book, in and of itself, is well worth the experience.

Comment

Amazing yet humbling, because it is so simple I can say, "where the hell have I been all this time."

WOW MOW! I think you got it!

So many things deaden us to Presence- all things we keep alive in our crazy thoughts and then we drink/drank to go numb. The book has not really taught me about Presence/God/Creator- whatever it you want to call the energy that is greater than our own, but is has reminded me of the most incredible energy that is holy and connects us all to each other and resides within each and every one of us. I wanted to stop off @ the store on the way home tonight from discussing chapter 6 with this new book club but did not. And I feel peaceful. The AL voice is not screaming @ me. It helps that I just have my Himalyan salt crystal lamp on, a candle burning, and one other small lamp. It is pretty dark in here. I seem to always have a candle burning now, all soy candles of course, and it reminds me of Presence, and helps me go there. It is just a sliver of space in my head now but I know it will grow over time.

I am so thrilled to learn of your new found joy! Life is good.

EDIT: I think it is hugely beneficial that so many people on the planet are reading and discussing this book @ the same time. The group energy benefits each and every one of us.

Comment

Just picked up this thread.....and was very interested in your post MOW, having just read the "Power of Now". I couldn't put it down.....though some of it did go over my head, so it is really helpful reading everyone's insights. VERY interested to read your thoughts MOW. Please keep them coming.....I'm about to start A New Earth, can't wait!

love Janicexxx
                    AF since 9 May 2012
                    Quit trying to control something that is uncontrollable (Bear February 08)

Comment

Janice, even if you don't 'get it' in your mind, what you're reading, keep reading. It will soak in, I promise.

Comment

Everyone ready for class? It starts is 14 min @ oprah.com!

Comment

Oh please, let me run, not walk!!!

Seriously, I picked up the book today and I will try to comprehend. Perhaps someone can provide Cliff Notes for me?

Comment

Lushy, please read this book. You really need it.

Comment

Are you implying I have an ego that needs checking?

Comment

WATCH OPRAH WED IF IN USA OR CANADA. She is going to do an hour on the book! Oprah said to bring a friend to class next week too when the chapter is about discovering who you really are. So, as my friends, crazy fuckers, I invite you all- even lushy.

Comment

Working...
                                X