The Easy Way to Stop Drinking

Helly Bouch & all,
    Thanks for this.. I will get the book!
    Saw it in the book shop before but thought it all sounded 'too easy'
    Will post back after some reading.
    Best

Comment

got my book yesterday and read the 1st chapter...will read more today!

Comment

i really cannot stand the way this man writes...i can't get past the 2nd chapter...jeezus keyrist he's obnoxious.

Comment

Good work-keep it up. You will succeed

Comment

I agree with you. I'm currently reading the book-however I don't know if I want to be totally abstinent

Comment

Twinkie,
              I would suggest getting it from your local library first. If you feel it is helpful to refer to and it would benefit you by purchasing it then get it then.

I'm into the fifth chapter and at this point I'm glad I got it from the library but it may be earth shaking for someone else.
              Eve11
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

I also love his books. I read the Easy way to quit smoking about 3 months after I actually quit and I went OVERNIGHT from struggling to freedom. So I bought the Easy way to quit drinking (this was after being AF well over a year). I really felt like it helped get my mind straight - like many others here have said.

You have to remember he is not an gifted writer, but his message is powerful and easy to grasp, I give it a thumbs up - even if you only take one or two concepts for your tool box... He's worth the read!

Don't bother reading the one on weight loss however - I didn't like it!!
                AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

I totally agree with you, Livingfree. It was such a relief to lose the cigarette cravings; I stopped a 2-3 pack a day raging chain-smoking habit and I credit the Easy Way book. Have not had a smoke or desire to smoke in almost 2 years. Close to the same with the alcohol. Quit December of 2008, 6 months, was tough at first even with the book, but now am free of cravings.

As he says in the book, addictions are mostly mental and he gives the tools to deal with that. Yes he might offend you with his writing style (he didn't offend me), but would you rather be offended for a day or two while reading something then lose the cravings for smoke and drink, or continue indefinitely struggling with cravings?

People should give his books a try, 10.99 for a book is less than 2 packs of cigs or a bottle of wine.

Good luck, stay strong!!!!

Love,

Doodlebug
                  SF since July 2007
                  AF since December 2008
                  :sun::heart::h:heart:

"My Happiness is Not Dependent on a Poisonous Chemical Depressant."

Comment

Hi Twinkle,
                    I just finished the book. Carrs basic idea is that alcohol is poison it serves us no good benifit, No one is a "normal drinker" since it is not normal to use a substance that is bad for us. He says that every one who drikks is somewhere on the alcoholism contiuum, and we should not envy these people because they can or think they can drink safely.
                    He points out alot of good reasons why it is bad to drink, and attacks myths about drinking such as AL gives me confidence or helps me relax. He compares alcohol to heroine alot.
                    I found most of what he said to be true EXCEPT that there is no physical AL detox. This is definite bs as I have seen the devistating efficts of going cold turkey for the hard core drinker. you can die from it.

I found the book to be kind of pie in the sky if it were that easy to quit why would I be here I already know how bad drinking is for me. I have 19 days AF. Nothing has helped me as much as this community I know all of you are only a click away.
                    Stay tuned ; you can do it and so can I!!
                    Sparrow

Comment

Are you all reading the same book?

There are 3 different versions on Amazon - Easy Way to Stop Drnking, Easy Way to Control Alcohol and No More Hangovers all by Allen Carr. The first gets 4.5 stars, the second 3.5 and the third only 3.

I would be interested in reading a good version just to back me up.
                      Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

Sorry I meant Control Al gets 4.5 and Stop Drinking only 3.5!
                        Recovery Coaching website

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." - Carl Bard wl:

Recovery Videos

Comment

The main message for me was - never envy people who still drink. Who knows, they may wish to be you.
                          I used to be in such awe of people who said, - just water for me, thank you. I though - wow, what self restraint! I did not know I could be easily one of them
                          "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
                          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thanks for the reviews Sheri and Sparrow.
                            I haven't read the book, but used the basic ideas to break the dreadful cycle I had got myself into (over 30 years) and stop drinking... took some time but now I am at the stage where i can take it or leave it. And the longer I don't have a drink, the crappier it tastes if I do have a drink. So, for me, that approach has been very successful.

Comment

Wow - I'm very excited to see your comments on his "Easy Way to Stop Smoking" - which I just got in the mail yesterday!!

I'm going to start reading it today.

I SO NEED TO QUIT. (Drinking, too - but they kind of go together... so quitting smoking will also help w/the drinking...)
                              Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

Savy

Get reading that book! I read it twice 11 years ago and haven't smoked since. No meds, no patches or gum...just that book. It works but you do need some willpower too.
                                If alcohol made you happy I should be the happiest person alive! I'm not.

Comment

Working...
                                X