Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Easy Way to Stop Drinking

Hey gang,

Ordered this book and should have it today / tomorrow. AL free for 2 weeks now and looking to stock up on all the necessary 'tools' to keep it that way Mine is definately a mental and emotional addiction (didn't get to the physical point TGod). So tackling the mindset is def the way to go with me.

I'll post my review on the book as soon as.

Nics x
    5th February 2013......... To sobriety and beyond! :angel:

Dealing with the Beast since May 26th 2009

I like the dreams of the future better than the history of the past.
    Patrick Henry

Comment

OK your posts have me cinvinced.
      I'll see if I can get it fom Amazon.

Comment

Basic premise of book is... al is bad for you, don't drink it. I agree with this, wish it was that easy. And Al withdrawal can be fatal, he says no-one ever died from it... they do. Having said that, if the book works for just one person, is worth it.
        Pipsqueak

Comment

Hi Blue Sky - I didn't "miraculously" quit smoking after I read the book.

I decided I DO need help, so have been using nic gum. I'm starting into Day 2...

But I think I'll read the book again. Maybe the 2nd time will be the charm, like it was for you.

Absolutely FAB that you've been quit for 11 yrs, Blue.
          Sometimes you have to take the leap and build your wings on the way down... Anais Nin

Comment

I have a couple of copies - the Quit Drinking and Control Drinking - which I think are the same book - or pretty close. I also found the part about AL withdrawal not being an issue - an issue. However there is much truth in the way you start as a teenager banging beers and vodka down then a young adult doing shots - then an old fart with the wine. I think most people slide down the pitcher plant as he describes and end up just like the fly. Is AL a disease? Don't know. Like he says if you don't drink - do you have a disease then? Are some of us just wired to prefer booze more than others? I don't know that either.

Its like lung cancer - some people will smoke a pack a day for 50 years and live to be a ripe old age and others will croak at 50. But certainly the amount you drink over a period of time seems to increase as you build a tolerance - just as with heroin or any narcotic. ANd the final results are the same so I see where he gets the logic for his assumptions. It is an addiction and it is an addictive substance and probably ought to be treated as such.

All this being said - I didn't stop drinking for long after reading his book - I did the wrong thing - I rationalized it away - but it does work on the mind and its another tool in the arsenal - read it many times and try it out - if it doesn't work don't sweat it just keep on until one day it all clicks and you stop.

Comment

Nice post, QT.
              That's right, it's at least another tool in the arsenal. For me, the more info and education on booze, and my relationship with it, the better prepared, or 'tooled up' i am to understand. Trial and a lot of error, has provided me with the irrefutable, undeniable eveidence, that moderation is not for me, and al free is. No more battles in my head. The answer, and path is right there, as i suspect it is for many of us. AF life is amazing, and it's so great to be finally free, at last! Many hurdles, but well worth the effort.
              Best wishes everyone, and go for it!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

As a fellow Guitarista - thank you. I also came back to mention Clapton's relatively new bio - came out last year I think or a year earlier - there is one heck of a story of addiction to both heroin and alcohol complete with before - during - and after pictures - for those of us interested in music and addicted - this is THE book to read - didn't stop me from drinking but another tool in the arsenal. I'm going to read it again this year after I finish Easy Way - I'm in the October sober deal and time to dust off the tools. - cheers.

Comment

Twinkie..this does NOT require taking ANYTHING. For lack of a better word, it is basic "brainwashing." He rambles a lot but it is really hard to argue with his points. he gets you to believe that alcohol is poison and adds NOTHING to your life. He brainwashes you to believe that drinking alcohol has absolutely NO BENEFIT. I suggest reading it. That's all you have to do is just read it. It WILL make you think and like I said, it's really hard to argue his points. good luck!
                  Part of learning is getting it Wrong.
                  The past is gone forever. Keep it Moving.

Comment

the title just caught my eye .... I wish it was easy ..... if so there would be no alcoholics drinking in the world .... sorry but when a title says it's easy it usually never is .....
                    ?We are one another's angels?
                    Sober since 29/04/2007

Comment

:applaud::applaud::applaud: I'm so excited , I ordered the book last week , expecting it in the mail any day now , I read "easy way to quit smoking" in June , I smoked my last cigarette before i finished the book , I hope the "drinking" book works the same magic. Right now I'm attempting 30 AF days & plan on reading the book ... I can't make any promises .. I really can't imagine the rest of my life NEVER having another glass of Chardonnay.. SO , with that mindset , I feel like I setting my self up for failure if I portray myself to be AF .. We'll see ! I really don't know ODAT for me:l:wavin: Em
                      Non Drinker 9/09
                      Non Smoker 6/09
                      Tennis Anyone ?

Comment

I have the book and am rereading it, I read 10 pages a day and highlight alot and then reread the highlights. It has many good points. It is very helpful, although I still drink, but I really think about it and I don't drink as much and have had more AF days in the last 2 weeks. He's trying to get readers to really feel like there is no reward, crutch, pleasure, treat, etc. associated with alcohol at all. If we really believed that, we would never even think to drink alcohol.

I think he's writing this in a repetative , brainwashing (almost hypnotic) style in order for it to really sink in. It would make a really good basis for a hypnosis cd. I really wish the easyway people would make cd's to go along with this

Comment

Just finished the book. According to the book, I just have to believe that I am Free and I will be. Everyone else that is drinking is not Free and are at different phases of their own slippery slope, so don't envy them. It's insane to crave a glass of poison called "devastation" and Alcohol steals your time, energy, money and love. (Very true and I'll add health and sanity to that) Instead of mourning my loss of a friend or that I can't drink, I need to rejoice that I am free!

He makes some good points and I will use these tools.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

I'm going to re-read this book ...
                            Growth means change and change involves risk, stepping from the know to the unknown."
                            Author Unknown :h

AF - Sept 4, 2012
                            10 days - Sept 13, 2012
                            2 weeks - Sept 17, 2012
                            Slip on the weekend but tried too moderate!
                            AF - Sept 24, 2012 (get back on the headaches not worth it)
                            Slippery slope Oct 1 ..... Trying to not give up!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Wouldn't recommend it if you have alcohol dependence. If you're just a heavy drinker, this may help you.

Because I have "Alcohol Dependence," this book didn't help me one bit.
                              The Universe stirs up our comfortable nests, and pushes us over the edge of them, forcing us to use out wings...

Comment

Hi...
                                Having a guide to recover yourself is good...
                                but the most important is that, you have be positive minded and hope that you can recover.

ALL the BEST!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X