The Last Child by John Hart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who wrote The Help and what is it about K9?
    "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
    NF 12th May 2010

Comment

one2many;865992 wrote: I found "Running with Scissors" in the thrift shop....anyone know if it is any good?
      Oney I just read this the other week, its the 1st book by the guy who wrote "DRY" and that why I bought it. Dry was fantastic, great tales re the AL but also good humour. Running with scissors is a good read but a really dark story made worse because you know its true. I do love his style of writing though, its easy to read in a couple of days.
      "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
      AF - JAN 1st 2010
      NF - May 1996

Comment

Nice one Chilly, I have no started it yet...I find I am reading alot since the fags are gone..

AF 10th May 2010
        NF 12th May 2010

Comment

techie;864678 wrote: I'm half way through A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick...a story about an early 20th century widower who puts an ad in the paper for a "reliable wife" Someone responds, but she is not reliable and not honest. I'll say no more...
          ohhTetchie...im Limers, we are going to be great friends, going to but these books this weekend.

Comment

Hi Limers - Great reads I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. Good to meet you friend...john
            Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

I've posted this on a long-past thread, but it's so good I'll do it again:

"Shantaram" by Gregory David Roberts.

Based on real-life events: heroin addict escapes prison in Australia, flees to India, and from there it's just too rich, dimensional, heart-wrenching and heart-warming to say more.
              "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Hi Red...I read this a few years ago. It is a fantastic book. Any reading junkie would do well to add it to their must read list....john
                Outside of a dog a book is mans best friend. Inside of a dog its too dark to read

Comment

Thanks Red...added to the list!

AF 10th May 2010
                  NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Last Child was a very good book. Went to the bookstore to find other books by this author, but apparently they are earlier books and no longer in print.
                    ODAT!

Comment

Determination;880416 wrote: Last Child was a very good book. Went to the bookstore to find other books by this author, but apparently they are earlier books and no longer in print.
                      You can order here...

Amazon.com: Down River (9780312359317): John Hart: Books

Comment

i just ordered it! Will report back on my verdict...
                        "In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                        AF - JAN 1st 2010
                        NF - May 1996

Comment

I am currently reading The Last Child. What a great book! I had to force myself to put it down last night at 11:00pm because I needed to get some sleep....I even took it with me to the gym and read it in the sauna. I LOVE a good book that's hard to put down, and this is definitely one of them
                          :heart:I love my daughter more than alcohol:heart:

Believe in yourself. You are stronger than you think.

Comment

OK Techie, The Last Child gets a BIG tick from me. Thanks.

A Reliable Wife is next, followed by The Shadow of the Wind. Will let you know.

Gotta love Amazon.

Comment

I loved "Chiefs" by Stuart Woods, Cin (got it unabridged from Audible, best narrator I've heard), and chew through JE's Stephanie Plum books when I'm in the mood for a mystery and a laugh. I go through periodic crime/mystery kicks (love Ian Rankin's Rebus series, PD James), but mainly read fiction. Recently finished the Book Thief--sad, but lovely, Oney, worth picking up.

Not surprisingly, I'm reading and listening to tons of recovery lit now too (self-help and biography). Just finished Mary Karr's "Lit", the best so far, IMHO, ahead of "Dry" and "Drinking: A Love Story." She's a poet also (wrote the poem I posted yesterday).

Looking forward to checking out "Last Child." xoxo Pride
                              AF since July 15, 2010. :applouse:
                              "People who drink to drown their sorrow should be told that sorrow knows how to swim." —Ann Landers

Comment

tawnyfrog;973910 wrote: OK Techie, The Last Child gets a BIG tick from me. Thanks.

A Reliable Wife is next, followed by The Shadow of the Wind. Will let you know.

Gotta love Amazon.

Comment

Working...
                                X