Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

*bump*
    6 days sugar free - only tiredness to report so far .... but will keep on going....
    Had raspberries, sprinkled with seeds and spoonful of Strawberry whey powder.
    Feckin' yum !!!
    Feel I got a proper dessert !!

Comment

satz123;1621515 wrote: *bump*
      6 days sugar free - only tiredness to report so far .... but will keep on going....
      Had raspberries, sprinkled with seeds and spoonful of Strawberry whey powder.
      Feckin' yum !!!
      Feel I got a proper dessert !!
      Great going girl :goodjob:

Comment

myhappyplace;1617260 wrote: I'm finding this website interesting, thought I'd pop this into the thread for comment...

The Importance of Sugar in the Human Body
        Interesting article! I'm not familiar with some of their ideas and unfortunately, no references are given. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to consume most of the foods that contain the "other" sugars - other than fruit they are not sweet and even those forms that could raise blood sugar are not present at high concentrations in the foods. Plus, none of the sources listed are processed foods.

Comment

I agree NS, it would be interesting to go back to the original research if it was available. To me the sugar quitting movement has absolutely nothing to do with depriving the body of essential nutrients and everything to do with getting rid of the processed garbage in our diets. Taking a measured, intelligent approach to what we eat leaves us less likely to eat that crap. Those sort of smash and grab, gotta have it now type feeding frenzies make me feel sick for days now, kind of like drinking used to. Bleh..

BTW, go Satzy!!

Comment

Bump up for Jane.
            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
            Tool Box
            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Byrdlady;1634589 wrote: Bump up for Jane.
              What about for YOU :H:H:H? xx-NS

Comment

Excellent show on PBS about food and neurological/brain disease: BRAINCHANGE | David Perlmutter M.D.

Comment

My name is 3June and I am a sugar addict

I am 9 months AF and all of a sudden (within the last month or two) having real issues with sugar. Mostly in the form of ice cream, chocolate, and snacking. It started in Costa Rica where I was using chocolate and peanuts to get through being on vacation and not drinking. Now I've been home a month and I am eating ice cream every night, not getting enough exercise and feeling like a drunk. Gained 5 pounds too. I have always loved the advice I get from NS but always avoided the sugar discussion. (a little denial perhaps?).

Now I am realizing that the same strategy might work for the same problem. I'm here to learn. And to admit my problem so that I can deal with it.
                  Newbies Nest
                  Toolbox
                  My accountability thread

Comment

Hi, 3June

There is a lot of information in this thread but if you have any specific questions, just ask away. There seem to be quite a few people on MWO who do better w/o the added sugar and are eager to share what they know.

It is kind of like with going AF, it is hard not to prosthelytize when something has improved your own life so much!

Take care, NS

Comment

OK I admit it, I looked it up.

pros?e?lyt?ize [pros-uh-li-tahyz] Show IPA
                      verb (used with object), verb (used without object), pros?e?lyt?ized, pros?e?lyt?iz?ing.
                      to convert or attempt to convert as a proselyte; recruit.

Thanks NS, I think I needed to worry about one thing before the other. Sugar (junk food, ice cream etc) got me through quitting AL. Now I will tackle the sugar!
                      Newbies Nest
                      Toolbox
                      My accountability thread

Comment

Might have helped if I'd spelled it correctly :H!

Comment

WHO sugar intake guidelines - draft

New draft guideline proposals

WHO?s current recommendation, from 2002, is that sugars should make up less than 10% of total energy intake per day. The new draft guideline also proposes that sugars should be less than 10% of total energy intake per day. It further suggests that a reduction to below 5% of total energy intake per day would have additional benefits. Five per cent of total energy intake is equivalent to around 25 grams (around 6 teaspoons) of sugar per day for an adult of normal Body Mass Index (BMI).

The suggested limits on intake of sugars in the draft guideline apply to all monosaccharides (such as glucose, fructose) and disaccharides (such as sucrose or table sugar) that are added to food by the manufacturer,
                          the cook or the consumer, as well as sugars that are naturally present in honey, syrups, fruit juices and fruit concentrates.

Much of the sugars consumed today are ?hidden? in processed foods that are not usually seen as sweets. For example, 1 tablespoon of ketchup contains around 4 grams (around 1 teaspoon) of sugars. A single can of sugar-sweetened soda contains up to 40 grams (around 10 teaspoons) of sugar.

The draft guideline was formulated based on analyses of all published scientific studies on the consumption of sugars and how that relates to excess weight gain and tooth decay in adults and children.

Comment

bump for kensho

Comment

Standard American Diet (SAD)

The movie Fed Up is being released in the US this Wednesday:Fed Up.

Here is the synopsis:

Everything we?ve been told about food and exercise for the past 30 years is dead wrong. FED UP is the film the food industry doesn?t want you to see. From Katie Couric, Laurie David (Oscar winning producer of AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH) and director Stephanie Soechtig, FED UP will change the way you eat forever. The film opens in theaters across the country on May 9th.

For any of you who are interested in trying to quit eating sugar and who have found a group experience to be a good one, this challenge might be a good way to start:FedUp Challenge

Comment

OK, today I get serious and re-commit to quitting sugar. Today is Day 1. I'm getting rid of all the added-sugar products in my kitchen, including fruit jam. DAY ONE!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X