The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just checking in to report that L-Glutamine added to a full diet of healthy foods really is seeming to do the trick- hardly any sugar cravings at all, for days/weeks now. Finally getting the hang of this!

Comment

Great job! How much do you take now to get that effect?

Comment

Oops, NS- I missed your last post til just now. I take one scoop of 5g in the day with 32oz water and another 5g/32oz at night. It is a high dose, but the bottle says 1 serving is 1 scoop which equals 5g, and you can take one to three scoops daily. It really does seem to help. Making sure I eat enough macronutrients (protein/carbs/fat) is crucial, that way I don't seem to get cravings. I think I'll gradually take less LGlut as I become less addicted to sugar over the longer term. But, good progress

Comment

Just found out about this thread and I NEED IT! I'm a vegan and never ate much sugar or refined food until I quit drinking. OMG! Katie bar the door..... I need to get a handle on these sugar cravings. I'm planning to start at the first post and read on through to the end. Thanks for the tip NS!

Comment

Hi Ginger! Skull! NS! Pav!

I've missed this place and in my time away, my body has suffered.
            I am on my 3rd day of getting the sugar out of my system--forgot about the Lglut and have been really craving sweets. In the past I have had some dried fruits, unsweetened juice popsicles, very dark chocolate. I think I will go along the same route.
            I'm glad there are others actively working on the SF challenge, talking about it, sharing.
            Ginger, I'm with you--will go back and pick up where I left off with reading.
            Skull, you're rockin'!

Comment

Good to see you back in this corner of MWO, too, LC! You'll be so glad when you kick both of these devils out of your life :l.

Comment

My cravings are starting to subside. Thank goodness! I'm taking the L-Glut and using fruit as the sweet when needed. I never ate much fruit when I drank and as a Vegan you'd think I would but, nope.....I got all the sweets I needed from the AL. I'm sneaking up on 60 days and so glad I'm here with all you amazing people!

I'm longing for the mountains and a hike so I'm taking my dog (pssst.... the real Ginger - my new avatar) and heading up. It's going to be in the high 90's here today so I know it will be perfect in the mountains. I may even find a lake to take a swim. Well at least I know Ginger will!

Have a great AF and SF day. I'll check in later.

Comment

NS:l

Ginger, have a fabulous time--have to say I'm envious of the hike! and the possible swim! In which part of the world are you living? What a pretty dog Ginger is-- she looks like a sweetheart. How long has it been now that you've been trying to cut the sugar?

I got through the day with 2 apple juice popsicles and some fresh fruit with plain yoghurt and cinnamon. I find that I'm craving sweets around the same time as I craved alcohol. I can't remember how long it takes for the sugar cravings to die down a bit-- about a week??

Comment

Ginger is a sweetheart. She's a rescue pup. She was supposed to be 20 lbs but has topped out at 45. Solid muscle and born to run. She may have a bit of greyhound in her. LOL

I live in Eastern Washington on the dry side of the state. We don't get rain like Seattle. I can be in the mountains in 30 minutes. Wish I woke up there every morning but that's an entirely different story.

LC, Like you, my cravings came on around the same time I wanted a drink. I'm much better now that I've made an effort to curb it. Before I was just running amuck! I've been working on curbing the sweets for about 2 weeks. Thursday will be 60 days AF for me. Part of my problem came from advice here about indulging your sweet tooth during the early days of your quit. I just went nutz with that advice! It was like a license to be naughty. I'm getting a handle on it now though and feeling much better over all.

Comment

Ginger, 60 days is a great amount of time-- you must be really happy with that! I will be sure to be here to congratulate you on Thursday.

I am someone who has been on the roller coaster of abstaining from drinking (knowing 100% full well that there's no other way for me), ignoring what I know and deciding to try and moderate or deciding to say, "f*** it all". I am determined to have this be my last quit and not to be frustrated or saddened or distracted by the fact that I've said this before. For me, it is always better if I stay away from sugar-- I have ALWAYS had a crazy sweet tooth and it took me a very long time to realise the damage it was doing to me. Every time I tried to use sugar as a substitute for al (in the beginning, I also went haywire with that advice), I ended up with the same crappy, hungover feelings, with no ability to moderate after a couple of days. I got to feeling desperate and out of control, exactly like when I was drinking. It seems like the sweets as alternative work for some people very well. -- lucky dogs!!

So I am giving it another go, with all of my strength and will power to stay away from the sugar. Practising that will power muscle!! And I hope that in 2 weeks I will also be able to say that the cravings are going away/gone.

Thanks for your reply! I'm off to bed at 830pm-- repair time...

Comment

No sugar today! I was craving a bit around 5:30 and glanced over at the jar of Nutella, but decided against it. Though the cravings sometimes feel as strong as the al cravings, these are easier to decide against. Of course--but it feels good to not give in and then to physically feel the urge go away. I seem to remember that that was also what helped me during my longer times without al. I DON'T like how I feel when I eat the stuff, so why should I eat it??

Comment

Hey, LC

I make a chocolate truffle using 88-100% dark chocolate, cream, earl grey tea, and fresh mint. It isn't at all sweet but I think the mint and chocolate trick my brain into thinking it is b/c it seems like an awesome dessert treat to me. So maybe a flavor you associate with sweetness might work.

Good job on avoiding beast #2 today!

Comment

That sounds really yummy, NS-- do you have a recipe or do you just wing it?? If there's a recipe, could you give it to me when you have a chance??

Comment

Just checking in to say, I think I've turned the corner on my sweet tooth. I'm back to not giving the sugar any thoughts at all. I am still taking the L-glut though. NS, I'm just swallowing the thing. I tried to let it dissolve under my tongue but it was kind of unpleasant to me. Feeling amazingly well too. Whoot whoot!

Comment

This thread has become very quite. Hopefully people are still checking in.

I am a bit frustrated at the moment. Just weighed in at exactly the same weight as I was 7 days ago, even though I went through a major clense: No sugar, plenty of water, very little meat, plenty of vegetables and a calorie deficit of 1000 per day. I may as well have been eat crap all week and still would be at the same weight...

I know it takes time. But no result in a week is pretty bad...

AK
                                AF since 1st Sep 2012
                                NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

Working...
                                X