The Sugar Free Challenge - Who is in??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

allankay;1685225 wrote: This thread has become very quite. Hopefully people are still checking in.

I am a bit frustrated at the moment. Just weighed in at exactly the same weight as I was 7 days ago, even though I went through a major clense: No sugar, plenty of water, very little meat, plenty of vegetables and a calorie deficit of 1000 per day. I may as well have been eat crap all week and still would be at the same weight...

I know it takes time. But no result in a week is pretty bad...

AK
    Kind of goes to show you how calories in/calories out really doesn't work, doesn't it?

I'm sorry you're discouraged, though, Allen. Have you read The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet (English and English Edition): Nina Teicholz: 9781451624427: Amazon.com: Books?

I might give you a different perspective on some of this. NS

Comment

NoSugar;1685235 wrote: Kind of goes to show you how calories in/calories out really doesn't work, doesn't it?

I'm sorry you're discouraged, though, Allen. Have you read The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet (English and English Edition): Nina Teicholz: 9781451624427: Amazon.com: Books?

I might give you a different perspective on some of this. NS
      Hi NS,

no I haven't read this. But I saw something similar on TV.

My stomach feels much lighter and in general I am have noticed a slight increase in the energy levels though.

One week is a short time. But when you are starving it goes by very slowly
      AF since 1st Sep 2012
      NF since 1st Sep 2012

If you want to feel better visit www.hopeforpaws.org

Comment

allankay;1685251 wrote: Hi NS,

no I haven't read this. But I saw something similar on TV.

My stomach feels much lighter and in general I am have noticed a slight increase in the energy levels though.

One week is a short time. But when you are starving it goes by very slowly
        One of the main points of the book (and my humble opinion) is that you shouldn't be starving.

Comment

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RRRRRR

another try another fail. This time two weeks of clean eating and rigorous exercise and two days of binging and counting. I find that Friday is a very difficult day for me.

I have no idea how I ever stopped drinking! I did try a million and one times so may be I have to try and try again.

I also find that even though it is hard to give up the booze and cigarettes at least it is straight forward. You know what you have to do. When it comes to sugar and junk food in general, it is much harder to decide where that line lies! Is juice acceptable? What about processed carbs? Cereal.... Where does one draw the line?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr so annoyed !!!!
          AF since 1st Sep 2012
          NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Allankay, I'm sorry to learn you are struggling, I think your quit date was the same as mine. Maybe just focus on alcohol and stop worrying about sugar? I don't have any idea, but a new plan instead of the one that isn't working is always a good idea.
            My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Sorry to hear of your struggles, Allan. It can be very much like any other addiction for some people. This post (and its links) provide a lot of information about processed foods:
              Why Junk Food Makes You Fat, NOT Fat or Carbs.

Comment

I am happy to see this thread up again.
                Allan, for me the sugar thing is especially difficult to moderate-- with similar cravings that I get from abstaining from alcohol. With other food groups, it seems that if I am too strict or don't get balance/enough calories then I tend to binge after a time. I was wondering if you could give an example of what clean eating looks like for you.? Are you eating enough for your rigorous exercise? And I wonder if on Friday's you could lighten it up a bit, without binging, trying to include some foods that would be treats for you, but that don't include those that get you in trouble--like you've said the sugar does.? Just throwing some things out there--as I'm also still trying to find the right balance where nutrition is concerned..

Comment

Same here- still trying to figure out how to cut sugar and junk out. I do pretty good for a few days or a week and then binge. It's tough. But I do better not when I starve myself-- because that makes binging an inevitability-- but instead when I fill up my macros with healthy food. For me that looks like roughly one third protein, one third healthy carbs, and one third healthy fats.

Everytime I do a cleanse, a more than half-day fast, or other starvation/restriction things, binging becomes inevitable.

Anyway, not much else to report here, but I'm in for giving it another go- sugar has crept back into my life too much and I crave it daily. I need to cut this bullshit out.

Comment

I am back to eating ice cream soooo, i need to watch it too. My quit is so new I am scard ro rock the boat. In the past this has lead me back to drinking. I really cannot afford to risk it so I think for now I am going to try to eliminate the processes but not natural sugars.
                    (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

If you don't have blood sugar problems, eating natural sugar (fruit) should be ok. It's not like you're going to eat 4 oranges at a time, right? (but you might drink a glass of OJ which has the same amount of sugar w/o the fiber ).

Comment

Hi all,
                        I am going to join you all again. I think I tried to do too much at once the last time so first I will have NO candy in the house....work with that for a while then move to reading ingredients....back to the gym has been good but the food thing not so much so will be back to cooking more and eating out less...this is a process...
                        Dottie

Newbie's Nest

Tool Box

Comment

NoSugar;1697845 wrote: If you don't have blood sugar problems, eating natural sugar (fruit) should be ok. It's not like you're going to eat 4 oranges at a time, right? (but you might drink a glass of OJ which has the same amount of sugar w/o the fiber ).
                          NS, unfortunately that's exactly what I do... I can eat 5 oranges. a whole watermelon... in one sitting.

Also juice creates cravings, while tea seem to be neutral.
                          AF since 1st Sep 2012
                          NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

lifechange;1697746 wrote: I am happy to see this thread up again.
                            Allan, for me the sugar thing is especially difficult to moderate-- with similar cravings that I get from abstaining from alcohol. With other food groups, it seems that if I am too strict or don't get balance/enough calories then I tend to binge after a time. I was wondering if you could give an example of what clean eating looks like for you.? Are you eating enough for your rigorous exercise? And I wonder if on Friday's you could lighten it up a bit, without binging, trying to include some foods that would be treats for you, but that don't include those that get you in trouble--like you've said the sugar does.? Just throwing some things out there--as I'm also still trying to find the right balance where nutrition is concerned..
                            LC,

I don't starve myself and I don't believe in crazy fad diets. Clean eating is eating between 1,500-2,000 calories a day while doing about an hour of exercise per day.

The diet is as follows:

No Sugar
                            Cereal
                            Avoiding, any type of sugary drinks, including juice.
                            No bread
                            No white carbs of any kind

What I can eat...

Lean meat, brown carbs, plenty of veg, little fruit, milk, tea, plenty of water
                            Eggs, sushi, healthy yogurt...

I don't crave food because I am hungry, I am an emotional eater. It may sound strange coming from a man. I struggle between 6pm and the time I go to bed. When watching movies or feeling a little bored, lonely... All the excuses that used to drive me to alcohol!!!

I have plenty of hobbies and try to keep busy but eventually I end up home with free time and that's when I binge....

AK
                            AF since 1st Sep 2012
                            NF since 1st Sep 2012

Comment

Allan, it sounds like your diet is pretty consistent with what is written here: Alternatives for Alcoholism so you seem to be on the right track.

Comment

At brief glance, I *love* this NoSugar! Can't wait to read in more detail. The first time I quit, I reached a very stable place relatively quickly - AFTER I began to eat no sugar. I truly believe there are ways we can make our systems run very smoothly by being selective about the fuel we give it.

Now, if you have any suggestions on how to get sugar out of my kids' diets - that would be great It's nearly impossible with school and birthdays and such. And I see how it impacts them - and feel I am setting them up for future health problems.
                                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Working...
                                X