No announcement yet.

The house that G built.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back home from the run. Had brunch with a friend, just had a hot shower, and feeling very chilled and happy. 15k's non stop done and dusted. Next stop, the half marathon at 21k's distance.

Your eyes may start to glaze over from here reader, so feel free to move on.

Furthest i've ever run/raced is about 10-12k's, apart from my days as a footballer where you'd probably run that and more in a game. Felt strong as i cruised through the 10k mark, and chose the softer grass surface available on the side of the road for less impact on the joints for most of the run. When i got to about 13k's, i felt the beginnings of a little quadricep burn, and my hips and legs were starting to feel a bit heavy. The last 2 k's were much harder than the previous 13, but i kept going with plenty of inspirational runners around me. There was Shelley from South Sunshine #12,567, Kev from Colac in bib # 10,045, Big Mark from Murrumbidgee wearing number 8,395, and the twins from Bankstown, Marcia and Persephone. Some walking, some valiantly struggling in a half walk/half run style, and guns like me with a bit of extra fuel in the tank, but happy to cruise to the finish line taking in the colourful ambience of the brass band, wobbling arses of all shapes and sizes, and the annoying, overly enthusiastic woops and shrill of the sheila from some commercial FM radio station. And we got a medal! Bring on the half marathon next year. I'm ready.

(My apologies to those of you following me on Twitter for the repeat commentary here).

On a more serious note. Events like this that are a physical and mental challenge are very positive tools to throw into our sobriety plan mix now and then. For me, it's a positive goal to aim for, and something that challenges me, but also something that i can handle. It's something you can do for you. Today i have sent a strong, positive message to myself. Doesn't have to be a run or a 10k etc. Plenty of 5k walks out there too.

It's good to get out of the house. You never know who you'll meet! G

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

That's great G! Blooming well done
      I managed to move for a run yesterday - had not since the 5K (two weeks) and man was it hard! Ran and walked - managed to run 1.7 miles and walk the same but it was not easy - have to find a way to keep it up! Will do couple more 5's then head up to a 10. I do agree this is a really useful tool for our kits!
      “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Way to go, G. I am inspired to go out for a run now. My knees are rebelling in my later years, so I usually stick to the walking/hiking, but there's nothing like a run for a head-clearing workout.

I appreciate your take on a goal like that as an important part of a sobriety plan. I think you should put that in the toolbox - it is inspiring to read others' accomplishments.

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by scottish lass View Post
          That's great G! Blooming well done
          I managed to move for a run yesterday - had not since the 5K (two weeks) and man was it hard! Ran and walked - managed to run 1.7 miles and walk the same but it was not easy - have to find a way to keep it up! Will do couple more 5's then head up to a 10. I do agree this is a really useful tool for our kits!
          Thanks SL. Good work on your run. I hear from the experts that if we're 'time poor', just getting some miles into our legs any way we can is good. Also, i hear a 10 minute run or exercise session can maintain our fitness level if we can't get a longer session in. Look forward to hearing of your 5 and 10k adventures! Inspiring.

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
          Way to go, G. I am inspired to go out for a run now. My knees are rebelling in my later years, so I usually stick to the walking/hiking, but there's nothing like a run for a head-clearing workout.

I appreciate your take on a goal like that as an important part of a sobriety plan. I think you should put that in the toolbox - it is inspiring to read others' accomplishments.

Pav
          Thanks Pavi. My knees feel better this morning after yesterdays run, but they took a pounding! I usually try to run on softer surfaces like grass or sand which i'm sure allows me to run longer. My knees seem ok generally, but i notice they don't like running up too many stairs. Walking up stairs is fine. Running in water - beach/pool is often used by folks wanting to avoid higher impact on the knees/legs as you probably know. All sorts of these types of classes at local pools here. You can still go hard in the water.

Day 111 but who's counting.

Have a great week ahead y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

G man, Just popping in to say hi. 1 1 1 is a great number! xo
            AF since January 7, 2014 *Never, never, never give up. ~ Winston Churchill*

Comment

Hiya Jane! :upsidedown:

Thanks.

Comment

Ok. Thanks to you people I went out and ran 3.6km (I prefer km to miles, as it sounds bigger). I also did some sprints and walking after. THANKS. I needed the motivation.

xo

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                  Ok. Thanks to you people I went out and ran 3.6km (I prefer km to miles, as it sounds bigger). I also did some sprints and walking after. THANKS. I needed the motivation.

xo
                  Raawkin it Pav!

Comment

Well, back out on the trail today for an easy run. Legs and knees okay with no real niggles. Will see if i can post a pic of my slowly deteriorating running shoes. They defy belief really. Still holding together though.

Take it easy out there.

L8tr g8tr's.

Comment

Well done Pav! Maybe we will get together for a run one day
                      Shoes are important - especially to old knees G - maybe ask Santa for a new pair, you have been a very good boy this year!!
                      “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

Gman,you're close to 115 days: buy some shoes to celebrate! The old ones deserve a rest, don't you think?
                        14 October 2013 was the first day of the best days of my life!

Comment

The shoes look tired Mr.G,get some new ones
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Gman... Get new shoes... You should not be running in those... What size do you you wear?

Comment

Yo Pauly and BK,

Yep, Y'all are right. I'll start hunting around for some new shoes. Size 10 BK. Where are the spammers when you need em? Hopeless work ethic!

Top of the morning to y'all from the beach pad. A pearler of a day yesterday, 30c and blue sky's. A bit cooler today but a balmy ambience. Last month of spring.

I am thinking this morning how wholesome and optimistic i feel waking up sober. 24/7 sober living is the magical gift we give to ourselves (and all around us) that just keeps on giving. It is by far the greatest act of self care and love i have given myself (and all around me).

Push through the early fog and keep going through the thick, dense forest. You will come out the other side, and the walk and at times the crawl, will be very very worth it.

Take it easy, kick some arse, and have a bewdy! G

Comment

G-15K is an awesome run...I ran a 5k in in August with kinda crappy shoes and was feeling it hard..I bought new running sneaks (mid grade) in Sept and ran another 5K on Oct and it felt 10 times better..I bought a pair by Skechers for 80 bucks (USD) that were light and cushiony, but either way, if you are saving money not drinking, you should really buy something decent otherwise your running will become harder to do..my shoes are below, but there are tons of great choices out there...keep runnin' mate..it's adding years to your life...

RW’s complete review of the men’s Skechers GOrun Ride 3, including photos, wear tester ratings, Shoe Lab data, and a video review.
                                “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

Working...
                                X