Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ABC, I'm not lost just a little overwhelmed with what we came home to. I'm spending a lot of time with Mom at the nursing home. I'm reading a really good book Pie shared with me about our aging parents. It's helpful. I have to run but will try and check in later. Promise! Hold down the fort everyone!
    Last edited by Ginger999; February 19, 2015, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Hello friends, Cowboy, I too am seeing an addiction counselor, should have gone years ago probably would have screwed my head on tighter haha, he's a really nice guy and eager to help, he wasn't all judgemental and nonchalant like I was picturing in my head,met with him for the first time yesterday and I guess I'm gonna go weekly for a bit,he wants hubs to come to an appointment cuz he says hubs is an enabler, I already knew that, he doesn't understand why I can't have a few and hang out,gets mad when I'm drinking and he has to babysit me,but yet if I call him and say I want to drink, he says"just don't go crazy with it" he's a normal drinker so he'll never understand, Ginger,hope everything is ok, hello to Beachy,OH,Min,SS our little group is tiny haha,that's ok,were doing what it takes
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Just lost a long post dang it!
        Cowboy and Pauly maybe I should try an addiction counsellor too. Will you let me know how it's working for you?
        Both my sisters called today and just kept asking me if I was ok, did I drink today. Did I follow up on their suggestions. Honestly I feel like it's ALL consuming my life is right now!! There is nothing else. I just want to scream!!!!!
        Cowboy, my birthday is 10/28! I was actually in Alberta in the late 70's. Edmonton, Jasper and a ranch that I can't remember the name of. Beautiful! I remember it was daylight until all hours of the night. My husband still has distant relatives in Edmonton. Maybe we will make the trek back up there again someday. Are you close to Edmonton?
        Ginger, hang in there with your mom. Are you tempted at all?
        Min, how are you? Hope you are managing ok. Weekend is creeping upon us, though I was never discerning about which day of the week I drank.
        Off to go microwave something for dinner as my stove is still not hooked up! I don't hate it. Did clean a bit though. The sanding left a fine dust everywhere backsplash is almost completely up, then grout!
        Have a good AF night. Maybe I'll check in later again.

Comment

Me neither Liz any day of the week,didn't matter, in fact when I first started quitting FOUR years ago!!!! Weekends were actually easier cuz I didn't have to deal with work/ customers,have you tried AA at all? I was telling the counselor when he asked if I ever went that I went to one and didn't care for the people, sort of bikerish like hells angels or something, it's funny cuz he's been to that same one but never went back cuz he felt the same, he encouraged me to find another one as he did cuz he still goes,I may look but only go sometimes,I don't want a sponsor and read that book, that sounds like a shitty attitude I'm not knocking it at all,I'm dedicated to staying sober, but I dunno it's hard to explain, threads been kinda quiet lately hope everyone has a good rest of the day

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hey all. Another check in before I turn in for the night. Hope all are staying strong.

Lizann- I lost a long post earlier- annoying as I don't get much time to write. Wonder if it is something with the website.

Cowboy- how did your session go?

Ginger you hanging in there?

Pauly- I'm also considering a counsellor. I've touched base with a ohine assessor and they've given me a number for Al specifically. I've yet to call them.

Had docs appt today. Bloods have come back fine other than slight high BP and my cholesterol. Need to start making some lifestyle and dietary changes 😁

Right off to bed. Wee one will be up soon enough. Sleep well gang x

Comment

Hey Min,glad the blood tests are good I think once you are af for awhile bp and cholesterol will go back to normal, mine did,I also had funky platelets before but now everything is ok, must keep it that way call the counselor, can't hurt right? Have a good night

Comment

Quick check in. Still with Mom at the facility. I'm doing fine with staying AF. I'm sure glad I was several months into my quit though. This kind of thing in the past would have been all I needed to tie one on. Sorry I haven't been more present. I'm just swamped with Mom duty!

Save my place, I'll be back soon!

Comment

Well keep your seat warm Ginger

Comment

Hi all, just a quick post before supper, more coming later... to do with lost posts...

As you are typing, you'll notice a small yellow box pop up every now and then at the bottom right hand corner of the text box saying "auto-saved". If you get booted or lose your post because of auto log off or any other reason, just go back and start a new reply, in the bottom left hand corner of the text box should be a small white box that says "restored saved content" or something to that effect, just click on it and like magic, your lost post re-appears!! Hope that helps ease some of the frustration...
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Thank you cowboy! I will try that next time.
                      Pauly a doctor i spoke to at work about this (not mine specifically, but a consult) didn't come right out and say it, but eluded to AA in a less than positive light. Truthfully don't know much about it but have heard more negative than positive. Anyone else any input here?
                      Min, glad blood work came back good! If you were drinking a lot for any length of time, it would likely show up with elevated liver enzymes. You're doing good girl!
                      Good night all. Working tomorrow and if I get a minute I will check in. Let's see how many times my sisters will check on me tomorrow, bets anyone?

Comment

I say 5 Liz

Comment

There we go, all fed and watered! Moose chili, and a Coke Classic, my DOC now! When spring comes, I'll switch to Arnold Palmer's...

Liz, Bubba and I live about an hour and 40 minute drive out of Edmonton, so now you have 2 reasons to make the trip north! The long summer evenings help to make up for the long, dark winters, and sitting around an open fire making smores and fire roasted smokies is one of our favorite summer activities!

Min, great to hear about the blood work, but don't take it as a sign that your drinking didn't hurt you! My blood tests always came back normal and I was as hard core as they come when it came to drinking...but I know that even if my physical health wasn't affected, my mental health took a beating!

Ginger, hopefully things start to settle soon with your mom, any kind of big change is hard to deal with, even more so as we get older. Save your seat?? It's at the head of the table with a "Reserved" sign firmly attached! :hug:

Pauly, I'm going with 4 check ups on Liz! lol, but all it really means is that they care for their sister....

On the subject of AA, I went every week for 13 months, got a bit tired and frustrated at hearing the same stories week in and week out. But I do have to admit that I did get some great advice while I was attending. When I first went, I got my 24 hour coin, and I still have it, I drilled a small hole in it and threaded it on my key ring. I still reach for it and rub it to remind myself that I just need to get through those hours. I would recommend everyone at least try a few meetings, it can't hurt and it has helped many! Now, I get a lot more out of my counselling sessions! It seems the one on one contact, without having to worry about a group of people to try to pay attention to. A bit selfish I know, but I have to help myself before I can honestly help others..

My session today was about anger, knowing that it's okay to get angry, it's just learning new ways to cope and deal with the anger instead of letting it turn into aggression. So, my homework for the next 2 weeks is to keep an "anger diary" not sure if Hilroy makes a big enough scribbler lol. But, I'm going to do whatever it takes to get myself mentally healthy again..
                          Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                          Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                          Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hello Everyone! Jeez, I hadn't realized I've been gone so long. I'm doing well. I've been working a lot. The company posted 2 full time positions were available and 7 people applied and I got one of them so I now work Mon-Thurs, 10 hrs a day with the option to work Fri or Sat if I want. I've been taking it because I love my job and the overtime is time and a half. I drive the smaller buses on door to door service Mon-Thurs and the big bus fixed routes on Fri/Sat. I really enjoy the door to door because I get to take elderly people to wherever they need to go ( doctors, grocery store, etc). I also take disabled people, adults and kids, to wherever they need to go. I get a lot of satisfaction from it because they rely on it so much. It's been especially challenging lately because of the God awful cold. Today we have a wind chill of -25. All the schools are closed. Tomorrow it's suppose to "warm up" to 30 and we're suppose to get 3-5 inches of snow. I'm driving a big bus so it should be fun :sohappy:

Sounds like a lot of us here are in different stages of our quit. We're all on the same team, just remember that. Don't ever give up on your quit. It does get easier, especially when you really own it and get into the mindset that drinking is truly not an option, no matter what happens in your life. Look at Ginger.......she is going through life changing situations with her mom and her sisters and she is not drinking. I'm very proud of you, Ginger. I'm proud to be your quit buddy.

Pauly made a very important statement in one of her posts. She said to her, drinking just wasn't fun anymore........hmmm.....does that ring a bell to anyone? When you succumb to drinking do you enjoy it? Or do you feel angry, depressed, mad at yourself and the world because you did something that you really did not want to do? Make yourself remember those feelings the next time you step into the ring with The Beast and are in the middle of the debate with yourself on whether to drink or not. After all, taking a drink is a decision. Nothing or no one forces you to put that bottle or glass to your lips. It takes preparation, thought, and actions to get the poison into your body. It just doesn't happen.

Well, I have to go out and brave the cold. My wife is working and I'm off today so I'm going to go to the grocery store and run some errands. Stay warm everyone and stay in the game with us. Any of us can quit drinking. Make it the number one thing in your life.

Enjoy your AFness!

Don

Comment

Hello friends, Liz,you gotta keep us posted onyour sisters, Cowboy and I have a bet haha,cut some Canadian guys hair the other day and he thought it's weird our money is all green still wrestling with insomnia, some days I can deal with it, others I can really feel it,thank goodness I don't have work today, but that kinda stresses me out cuz I'm too used to routine, I have NOTHING to do today, no Louie, no store, zip,I hope the others check in today, threads been too quiet lately then I start feeling like maybe cuz I'm posting here it ran them all off ,hey it's happened before, anyway hope everyone has a nice Friday

Comment

There you are Chief, sounds like your doing really good also sounds like you love your job,what a wonderful thing to do for the elderly and disabled, I have a customer who's in her 80's,the neighbor who used to take her around for errands moved to FL,so the poor little thing is basically housebound she called me the other day at the salon saying she's desperate for a haircut and would be in when she gets a ride, I told her to call me when she's ready and hubs will gladly bring her in,so you are really helping people who need it((hugs))

Comment

Working...
                                X