Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Howdy all! Well, the Oiler's lost 2 -1 :sad: but the quality time I had with my son more than made up for the Oiler's dismal play!

Liz, good to hear you made it home safe and sound! Driving in snow and white out conditions can be nerve wracking! As the time passes, you'll miss your sisters being a pain in your butt lol. Sounds like it won't be long before you can enjoy your new kitchen!

Min, too bad you didn't get to enjoy the pizza, Bubba and I rarely eat take-out pizza anymore, far to greasy for us it seems and feels like a lump in the belly for far to long afterwards. We either do homemade or the pop in the oven frozen style. Hope today is better for you!

Pauly, the night out with sonny boy was fantastic! He really is my best friend as well.. Basketball was never a sport I got into, hockey, curling, and football are more up my alley, although I did do quite a bit of golfing in my younger years. When our daughter was in D.C. working on her Master's, she went to a pro basketball game and loved it! Now that she resides in Nebraska, my bucket list has included a Corn Husker's game!

BG, lucky you with all the sun! It is a beautiful sunny morning here as well, but it's also -26C, so no going out to enjoy it for me!!

Ginger, hopefully things are getting better on the homefront, take the time you need to deal with things, but hurry back as well!

OH, how's your weekend going? I plan on a lazy day today, have my laundry to do, then some reading and then curling on tv.

Chief, did you get the extra shifts this weekend? The OT pay will come in handy!

Last night at the hockey game, I got to put into practice some of my counsellor's advice. The beer and spirits were all around me, the guy sitting behind us enjoyed more than his share and the more he drank, the more he questioned us about hockey and the Oiler's. It was easy to tell it was his first time at a game. That so could have been me if I had been drinking along with him! The great thing about it all is that I didn't miss enjoying a cold one or two through the game, I did what my counsellor told me, changed my thinking to appreciate the fact that beer wasn't going to make the game, or the time spent with my son, any better or any more enjoyable! As a matter of fact, not drinking was the best part of it! There are so many simple lessons to be learned, so many more things to appreciate even more, if we just change our way of thinking!

Have a great day/evening my friends where ever you are and what ever your plans for the day! It's just one more day we can add to our success......
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hello friends, Cowboy, glad you had a good time, in my drinking days I focused more on my next beer than what ever event I was at,missed a lot of good concerts and stuff cuz I was there in body but zee brain was in la-la land, was taking my walk this morning and thinking about my homework the counselor gave me, wants me to write down when I started drinking, how much,how I've felt,like a alcoholic timeline, tbh I'm getting a little scared of this counseling now,it's bringing up old memories and making me feel a little sick, sad,and preoccupied with thoughts instead of being repulsed by my drinking, dwelling on it makes me feel like drinking in a way,I won't but,grrrr, I dunno how to explain it, Min,hope your tummy feels better, hi Liz,Ginger, Beachy,OH,SS,Chief, let's have a good Sunday
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Bringing up old memories can be a hard one Pauly. I know exactly how you feel, I used AL as my escape mechanism for so long, and bringing up the past would trigger the need to escape from painful memories, therefore the desire to drink would be ever more present. So very proud of your determination to stay AF! Keep on the great path you are on Pauly.

Cowboy so nice that you had such a wonderful time with your son, I would give everything I own to spend one more minute with my mom. Cherish those memories, I know your son is thrilled to have those great times with you.

Lizann, you are doing great. I know at times you are probably feeling like you need some privacy, but remember how much your family loves you and just wants the best for you. Your kitchen sounds like it is coming along awesome! You will be so happy when it is finally completed I'm sure.

Min star hope you are getting some "me" time, at least soon. You seem to always be taking care of others, the motherly instinct setting in I'm sure. Hope someone at home is giving you a nice back rub or making you a cup of tea.

Happy AF Sunday everyone, I am off to take a nap. Still coughing up a lung , all I can think is thank god I don't smoke.
        Last edited by open halo; February 22, 2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Beachy Girl glad you had a nice evening out with your husband, and even more glad you are soaking in the rays, make sure you are getting enough for all of us! Summer is the hardest part for me staying away from AL with patios and the like. That's why I am hoping to have enough AF days under my belt to help get through those months and from the amount of snow here, summer might actually not even arrive (lol)!

Ginger we are all thinking of you, hope everything is going okay with your Mom.:hug:
          Last edited by open halo; February 22, 2015, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Hi all,
            Thanks for keeping Mom and me in your thoughts. I had a long chat with my older sister that has been holding things together while I was away. She's feeling a little upset with little sister too not really stepping up like "we" think she should. I've been reading an elder support group forum and this is pretty normal. She's the baby in the family and doesn't feel like she needs to be as close as we do. It's all fine though. This too shall pass. Just think of all the hard stuff I'm working through AF! Whoot whoot.

Min, Hope you are feeling better by now. Hope you can get a little "me" time. I know that's near impossible when you have wee ones. ABC, Glad you had a good time with your son. Isn't it great to be truly present? Pauly, Good luck with the counseling. Maybe all that hard stuff needs to come to light so you can get past it. Liz, your family loves you. I hope things settle in for you soon. I love seeing the pictures on FB. BG, I sure did enjoy the sun here this afternoon. Came home and took the dog for a good long walk. It was only 47 but sunny. I love the sunshine so much! SS, check in girlfriend. We need to hear from you. OH, I quit in May last year and headed directly into the camping season, which always included gallons of good wine from Walla Walla, WA. Man that was tough but I never failed to have a plan in place PRIOR to any trip and I made it! I won't say it was easy because it was hard as hell but it is SO worth it now. It really does become second nature after a while to be AF. Chief, hope you had a good weekend! I'll be using dial-a-ride a lot with my Mom. We can't transport her to doc in the car because of the cast. I'll think of you when the driver comes to pick us up and hope that he/she is half as great a person as you are!

Stay close everyone and guard your quit!

Comment

Gloomy day in Vegas so we're just lounging around, hubs slow cooked ribs then will grill them,so good Ginger, it makes sense about your younger sister, at least your mom has you two hubs bought a boot leg version of"American sniper" hope it's a good copy

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi All, just checking in. Had a lazy day today. My 5 year old grandson spent the night....he's always fun. We got up and had bacon and chocolate chip pancakes and fresh strawberries. Then we went outside and did some snow shoveling. Then came in and watched the Daytona 500. That pretty much shot the day.

Looks like everyone is just living their lives and taking care of business.......that's a good thing. Enjoy your AFness and have a good week. Notice the things you wouldn't if you were drinking. I see things everyday that I would have missed if I were still consumed with drinking. Life is so much better.....

Don

Comment

Hi Gang,
                  I did soak up a lot of rays, intending to share with you. I am sending warm springy thoughts. As Cowboy says - we need to change our thinking. I have always been a very cheer-y upbeat person (to the point I annoy some people in the morning - haha) but I am really working hard at changing my mindset. Not just about AL, but about life. About gratitude. It does make a difference.

I did get some very bad news about our x daughter in law. (my son left her 12 yrs ago, but we still are in contact).
                  She has gotten some rare, auto immune disease, ADEM, is in a coma due to brain swelling. She has had surgery to relieve the pressure on her brain, and has coded once. As much as I am trying to stay positive, this is really bad and I have a huge knot in my stomach. Only time will tell if she pulls through, and what the long term damage will be. My role is to be supportive to her family, as I know the hospital situation, but it is killing me seeing her like this. She is 36. Please send her some positive strong thoughts. She is very spiritual, not necessarily religious, but I know she will feel all of us supporting her. Thanks.

As the sun sets over the lake, the sky is amazing. I am grateful I can see this.

Comment

Beachygirl, so sorry to hear this. Definitely sending thoughts her way!
                    Ginger, warm here today too. Walked with two of the kids today. It was nice to Bo outside.
                    As expected both sisters called today again. Older sister asked if I followed through and any of the suggestions we discussed. I shared I am on this site. Older sister wanted to drop by, which she NEVER does as she is close to an hour away. Told her my oldest daughter was here. Then after our walk my twin called, I was in the middle of something and didn't answer the phone. Called her back a few minutes later and her phone was busy. When she did call back she told me her and my older sister were talking. They are disappointed I am not following throughon anything I said I would do. I need to do something different because what I have been doing hasn't worked. They are so worried about me. Why did I drink last week, and on and on. I got off the phone hid in the bathroom for a bit and cried. I didn't want my kids to see me upset, but I don't know what else to do. I don't want to talk to them anymore, I know they are concerned but they are seriously stressing me out.
                    Chief thanks for your encouraging words. I'm glad you enjoyed time with your grandson. This sober stuff gets better right? My sisters will back off right? I did not drink, but this is definitely a trigger for me.

Comment

Morning all!
                      Hope you're all well. Thanks all for you messages. It is encouraging to come on and know you've thought of me!

Open Halo- I have hubby making me a cuppa each morning ;-)

Pauly- sounds tough! I am sure it will be worth walking through memories in the end. If you can grasp where you're drinking escalated
                      Try and rememeber they are memories and that's all. You can 'file' them away and move on to make new fresh and AF memories :-)

Cowboy- we normally eat homemade pizza. It's just late When im shattered and fed up we end up buying. Hubby likes to take a few Slices to work so we justify it as a treat 😳

Lizann- sounds like shower was a success. Well done in not drinking :-) and what lovely surprise to come to a clean kitchen :-) hope you're feeling strong.

Ginger/beachG-how are you?

Sorry if I missed anyone. I'm on mobile :-/

Comment

Howdy everyone! Just a quick check in before I start my week, was just reminded about something I read that has to do with BG's post....

This was said by a Catholic priest regarding religion....

"Religion is for the people who think they'll be going to hell, spirituality is for those that have already been there!"

Have a great day my friends!
                        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Have a great week cowboy! Are you driving on snow covered roads? Why would I think otherwise, considering where you live. We down here are wussies when it comes to snow.
                          Min, you are sounding chipper today.
                          Off to do some food shopping. Check in later.

Comment

Hello friends, just a quick wave hello,in a hurry this morning, Beachy,that is horrible! Positive vibes sent,back later

Comment

Just a lunchtime pop in, Liz, this was the highway I drove to work on this morning

IMG_2788.jpg

and here is the lane at the farm to my shop

IMG_2787.jpg

We get used to winter driving lol
                              Attached Files

Comment

Just a quick update.

Our positive vibes allowed my Daughter In Law to pass to heaven peacefully last evening. I do not understand why something like this happened to such a beautiful young woman, but hopefully some day I will learn.

I am extremely sad, but totally ok on the AL front.

Go hug your loved ones!

Comment

Working...
                                X