Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

Originally posted by crocster View Post
    Y
    Until I got a Coronary Calcium Score done 12 months ago. A score of zero is ideal, up to 100 lifestyle changes and monitor, 500 is a serious high score - I scored 2100! - it absolutely floored me - I was in shock for a few weeks - then I started to research it several hours a day - discovered Dr William Davis, Ford Brewer and Cywes and started to follow their advice - I've always been low carb/keto but added in their suggested supplements and lifestyle advice - I still can't believe it but have to accept and live with it and make the best of my life - I feel like I've got a hand grenade in my chest - I'm angry with my doctor not suggesting this test many years ago when he knew my issues - I had to discover the test online and request it - the calcification is not reversable so I just have to make the best of a bad situation -

My advice to anyone here over 40 would be to talk to your doctor about getting the test done. The earlier you know how you're travelling to sooner you can do something to halt or slow it. Google "Ivor Cummins calcium score" for a full discussion.
    I'm sorry to hear this crocster, but it sounds like you're committed to following a healthy diet and taking precautions.

I went in for a routine blood test and dr suggested an electrocardiogram while I was there. The reading has revealed a couple of abnormalities, and an old "possible anterior infarction", which is kind of scary... Makes sense, as I've had tightness in my chest for years and have felt heart pulpitations while laying down in bed at night. I stupidly put it down to stress, or other muscle pain. Am currently waiting for the more extensive test in 1.5 weeks. Hopefully there is not too much damage done and whatever it is, is a manageable condition. So, in all that, I can totally relate to that feeling and wake-up call, however, I would also suggest to follow all instructions and look after yourself, and try not ruminate too much, as ruminating won't help you.

I know one thing, I'm spending money on things I want or need without hesitation. I also have a huge level of regret for the crappy life I have chosen to live and hope that I can get to live the life I always wanted without anxiety hanging over my head since I was a teenager and allowing it to dictate EVERY life decision I have made.

Anyhow, today is the day and we must seize it, and not fall into that trap of thinking that everything has to be "perfect" before we launch into life, and the future is a hypothetical construct, in that, the only life we know is this very moment, and each moment unfolds into the next. Let's hope we have a whole lot of amazing / awesome moments that keep rolling on.

I hope your niece can learn to deal with her anxiety in other ways, as 21 is way too young to be drinking daily. There is a good post early in the Toolbox thread that describes the practice of sitting through uncomfortable feelings, or letting them pass through or over you. Those pesky pangs of anxiety can not last forever and it is incredible to think that we perceive the autonomic sensations as "reality" and "fact", when most of the time, it is our perceptions that cause us to react a certain way. Like stress, a tiny, tiny bit of anxiety probably serves evolutionary purposes and might otherwise be good for us, but for those who suffer more than normal anxiety, it is like the anxiety-factory in our brains and bodies is over-sensitive or out of kilter.

Bev Aisbett has written a few books on it: Bev Aisbett's Art of Anxiety - HOME
    One day at a time.. Sometimes it's one minute or one second at a time.. Most important thing is to look ahead and don't look back!

Comment

Re: Anyone in the First Week of Their Unpteenth Quit?

So hard to give up!
      Yup incredibly difficult, something I haven't been able to do, but have been able to reduce a lot at least.

frances - my step daughter is the same. I see her drinking almost daily to deal with anxiety.
      Unfortunately, from personal experience I can attest to the fact that drinking only ends up making anxiety far far worse in the long run. Of course I probably wouldn't have listened at that age. Sounds like she's open to changing and trying to get help though, which is great!

So I've been able to give myself a pass on the obesity, sleep apnoea and fatty liver because all the tests say I'm travelling OK with the harm minimisation I do.
      Sounds very much like me, lol. Though I'd only been heavy drinking for 20 years, but I knew it was going to catch up to me. Also, curious about that coronery calcium test, did you have any other indicators? Or can everything else (CRP, lipids, ECG etc.) all look good and you can still have a high risk factor on that?
      Last edited by Mulburry; April 4, 2022, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X