G man the comeback!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: G man the comeback!

Well pilgrims, i just popped my first antabuse pill.

I got a script from doc a few weeks ago, but then found out it's been recalled and N/A here anymore. I assume there's been some folk drinking on it and getting sick. So i ordered from India and they arrived after about 3 weeks. recommendations are noooo boozing for 2 weeks after taking it, though some say 1 week. Either way, i'm covered for now and have zero intention of tempting vomiting or seizure! The tabs are 250 mg each, which is too high and scary a dose for me after reading around a bit, so i cut one up and took a quarter of a tab. My thinking is it's a mental deterrent for me, so i don't need a lot at once. Just knowing it's in my system is enough deterrent for me. Also if i mistakenly have a mouthful of sticky date pudding marinated in ale for dessert out at dinner, the physical reaction won't be too severe and embarrassing. Not something i want to tell everyone.

Take it easy
    Last edited by Guitarista; June 14, 2017, 07:22 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

'Old dreams needn't die

Page 167

"Lost dreams awaken and new possibilities arise."

Basic Text, p. 91

Most of us had dreams when we were young. Whether we dreamed of a dynamic career, a large and loving family, or travels abroad, our dreams died when our addiction took hold. Anything we ever wanted for ourselves was cast away in our pursuit of drugs. Our dreams didn't go beyond the next drug and the euphoria we hoped it would bring.

Now in recovery, we find a reason to hope that our lost dreams could still come true. No matter how old we are, how much our addiction has taken from us, or how unlikely it may seem, our freedom from active addiction gives us the freedom to pursue our ambitions. We may discover that we're very talented at something, or find a hobby we love, or learn that continuing our education can bring remarkable rewards.

We used to put most of our energy into spinning excuses and rationalizations for our failures. Today, we go forward and make use of the many opportunities life presents to us. We may be amazed at what we're capable of. With our foundation of recovery, success, fulfillment, and satisfaction are within our reach at last.

Just for Today: Starting today, I'll do whatever I can to realize my dreams.'

Copyright (c) 2007-2016, NA World Services, Inc. All Rights Reserved

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Comment

G, a few years ago I tried Antabuse, but I wasn't really ready. I wasn't committed enough. So after a while I made the mistake of pre planning my next drink. I stopped taking the Antabuse for almost a week and thought it was safely out of my system. I was wrong. The effects were awful!! I thought I was going to have a heart attack. But I was actually more worried about having to tell the ER docs and my husband what I had done! So, I suffered thru the symptoms and luckily came out ok. Never told anyone. I'm embarrassed to be telling it even now! I was in my mid 50's and wouldn't you think I should have known better than to take risks like that?! I will never do that again! I'm not trying to say anything with this. I am just telling you about one of my personal (and stupid) experiences all in the pursuit of alcohol.

You are in a better place now than I was then I think. I wish you all the best. Just don't think you can cut corners with this stuff and go ahead and drink like I did!!!:egad:
        Last edited by dill; June 15, 2017, 09:30 AM.
        Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Thanks Dill. Yeah, it sounds like a serious med and not for everyone to be sure. Thanks for your words of caution and i'm glad you made it through. You are correct about me being in a better place these days. I am committed enough to take a med for help in the first few months. Sheer desperation and fear propelled me through my first 2.5 yr quit med free in 2008. I'm drinking far less these last few years, but i want abstinence, not having a few every couple of weeks. I saw i could pull myself up and stop again regularly. This is not how i want to live and the headspace it can get me in even after one night of boozing aint pretty or healthy. Plus, my dreams are always on hold for at least a week or more when i drink for a couple of sessions.

So i'm trying to take the option totally off the table with a little mental persuasion.

Day 4 and the feeling's good. Let's git it.
          Last edited by Guitarista; June 15, 2017, 04:30 PM.

Comment

This applies to blokes too. I've always loved this list.

The Women for Sobriety Program

13 Statements of Acceptance

1. I have a life-threatening problem that once had me.

I now take charge of my life. I accept the responsibility.

2. Negative thoughts destroy only myself.

My first conscious act must be to remove negativity from my life.

3. Happiness is a habit I will develop.

Happiness is created, not waited for.

4. Problems bother me only to the degree I permit them to.

I now better understand my problems and do not permit problems to overwhelm me.

5. I am what I think.

I am a capable, competent, caring, compassionate woman.

6. Life can be ordinary or it can be great.

Greatness is mine by a conscious effort.

7. Love can change the course of my world.

Caring becomes all important.

8. The fundamental object of life is emotional and spiritual growth.

Daily I put my life into a proper order, knowing which are the priorities.

9. The past is gone forever.

No longer will I be victimized by the past, I am a new person.

10. All love given returns.

I will learn to know that others love me.

11. Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.

I treasure all moments of my new life.

12. I am a competent woman and have much to give life.

This is what I am and I shall know it always.

13. I am responsible for myself and for my actions.

I am in charge of my mind, my thoughts, and my life.
            Last edited by Guitarista; June 16, 2017, 03:08 AM.

Comment

Was thinking today as i ran along the beach that things are gonna get interesting for me emotionally now i'm on antabuse. With my current 'up in the air/who knows where this thing is going' (insert spinning Gman head) romance status with the new woman on the scene, i won't be able to hide away from my feelings and irrational thoughts by sinking a few vino's. Now i'm gonna have to deal with any feelings/emotions this scenario presents. Can only be a positive growth experience i'm tipping. Or i'll go completely bonkers! Nice problem to have really.

Take it easy.

Comment

A couple great posts, G!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarista View Post
                  This applies to blokes too. I've always loved this list.

The Women for Sobriety Program

13 Statements of Acceptance

1. I have a life-threatening problem that once had me.

I now take charge of my life. I accept the responsibility.

2. Negative thoughts destroy only myself.

My first conscious act must be to remove negativity from my life.

3. Happiness is a habit I will develop.

Happiness is created, not waited for.

4. Problems bother me only to the degree I permit them to.

I now better understand my problems and do not permit problems to overwhelm me.

5. I am what I think.

I am a capable, competent, caring, compassionate woman.

6. Life can be ordinary or it can be great.

Greatness is mine by a conscious effort.

7. Love can change the course of my world.

Caring becomes all important.

8. The fundamental object of life is emotional and spiritual growth.

Daily I put my life into a proper order, knowing which are the priorities.

9. The past is gone forever.

No longer will I be victimized by the past, I am a new person.

10. All love given returns.

I will learn to know that others love me.

11. Enthusiasm is my daily exercise.

I treasure all moments of my new life.

12. I am a competent woman and have much to give life.

This is what I am and I shall know it always.

13. I am responsible for myself and for my actions.

I am in charge of my mind, my thoughts, and my life.
                  You go girl haha,no seriously Mr.G that is a great list,thanks for sharing
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thank you G! This list went into my electronic journal.

Comment

Top of the morning from the beach pad 17 days into a southern Oz winter.

Hello Pauly, AG, Mr V and you over there lurking in the cheap seats enjoying the free show. Very cold in the sea now, but i'm always happy after i launch myself in for a dip. The other day an excitable young golden retriever saw me dive in and ran up to join me out of nowhere, swimming along side me as i walked back in. Then he was waiting by the water for me to run in and do it all again as i was drying myself. lol. Another bonus - an excuse for a casual chat with his 2 HOT female human companions. :good job:

Must be day 5! The feeling's very good. Working this weekend which is always an interesting adventure. Not 100% sure where the new romance is going yet. Totally her call, which is cool. She's away for a few days and back mid next week and will call me then, so will be interested to see if this means a 3rd hot date, or will she suggest a no contact match i.e. a catch up for coffee during the day and wind things down? Mmmm, who knows. I'll do my head in speculating so best not to and let whatever will be, be. I've stated my case with my actions/words/behaviour out at dinner, seeing bands, keeping up in other areas lol. I reckon the best thing i can do now, is to let the situation breathe and let her decide what she wants. Anyway, looks like i'm still in with a chance of more after 2 great dates. The next few weeks should tell. Not letting myself stress about it or try to forecast outcomes. In fact, i won't be surprised if she calls it off, and i'm ready for that. But she's so cute that i have to leave the door open. i think the age gap is the spanner in the works for her, and fair enough too. Still, stranger things have happened. i suppose i can babble on being my thread lol.

Edit: P.S. Just thinking. Antabuse could end up being a real lifesaver for me. Could've been a window for me to scull a few drinks this sunday night after work into monday all day then pull up to sober up for the rest of the week in case woman calls, but that is off the table now. My thinking just isn't going there. What a self sabotaging action that would be, and i knowingly would've done it, risking a potential romance by not being my best, or the man she thinks i am/attracted to in the first place!

Take care out there.
                      Last edited by Guitarista; June 16, 2017, 03:47 PM.

Comment

Sounds like things are progressing nicely, Mr G. Great attitude regarding G-Woman. Stay focused, positive, and love will find its way. Have a GREAT rest of your weekend. Oh yeah, keep the updates coming too
                        “Outside of a dog a book is man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read”

Comment

Thanks Techie. Hope you're having a good weekend. Finishing up day 6. Work over for the weekend. All ok here.

Comment

Good monday morning to y'all from the beach pad.

Got a text from the new bird last night. Geez, she still remembers who i am! haha. I'm not waiting around for her to make up her mind though, life is beckoning!

Day 7 and the feeling's good. Very good. Yesterday i popped my 2nd antabuse pill, so no boozing for G boy the next couple of weeks. I previously mentioned i cut up a 250 mg pill with a knife which left it in about 7 pieces lol. The one i took yesterday is probably around 50 mg, which suits me compared to a whole pill of 250 mg and potential liver issues or side effects like tiredness. Zero side effects so far, so all good. I received 30 x tabs, so 30 broken into 4 tabs = 120 days worth, probably squeeze another month out of them. Edit: Wait a minute, incorrect G man. As i'm taking one every 3 days or so, that's about 8 months worth at least. Cool! Cost me $45 + $ 15 delivery from India. That's a great start/kick off for me. Once i get to 6 months it'll be a recent personal record, thus a psychological barrier decimated. Gigs are looking up for my band. We have a few beauties coming up in places we don't often play, so might pick up some new fans, or drive em few away. Gym, bag, run, music, is the order today.

Take it easy out there and remember. You are worth reclaiming yourself. Let's git it!
                            Last edited by Guitarista; June 18, 2017, 03:27 PM.

Comment

G-man - You sound like you're in a good place, emotionally and physically. Quick comment/question: it sounds like the new bird is "in charge of" initiating communication. Perhaps I'm misreading, or maybe she prefers it that way, and surely it's not really my business but...does she know how interested you are? I'm not suggesting doing anything to chase her off, but some of us woman like the pursuit. Maybe a text to her, out of the blue, thinking about you sort of thing. Or a card - the old-fashioned paper kind that arrives in a mailbox. An evite to one of your gigs - special back-stage "pass" if possible? Just some thoughts - hope I haven't over stepped. I'm rooting for you!
                              Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Marylou123 View Post
                                G-man - You sound like you're in a good place, emotionally and physically. Quick comment/question: it sounds like the new bird is "in charge of" initiating communication. Perhaps I'm misreading, or maybe she prefers it that way, and surely it's not really my business but...does she know how interested you are? I'm not suggesting doing anything to chase her off, but some of us woman like the pursuit. Maybe a text to her, out of the blue, thinking about you sort of thing. Or a card - the old-fashioned paper kind that arrives in a mailbox. An evite to one of your gigs - special back-stage "pass" if possible? Just some thoughts - hope I haven't over stepped. I'm rooting for you!
                                No worries at all Marylou, i appreciate your input on this. Not sure where she's at, and she mightn't know either. I sure have told her where i stand and that i think i've hit the jackpot with her, she's gorgeous etc, have told her all of that, which she loves as she told me i 'make her feel good'. have sent a few follow up texts after our dates, but i'm careful not to crowd her or look like i'm putting demands or pressuring her in any way. She finished a long relationship last year, and another fella a month ago just before we went out broke her heart, so she's taking it slow. I'm thinking i'll let her call the shots in this situation. She knows very well that i'm keen. See what happens later this week i'd say. I'm mindful to give her plenty of space in these circumstances. So i'll wait for her to call later this week. If i don't hear from her, that's probably not a good sign for me lol.

What do you reckon?

Comment

Working...
                                X