No announcement yet.

~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a few things to add this morning...

I guess that makes me a nerd as well Pauly lol. We're usually in bed by around 9pm.

LC, congrats on not caving! You wouldn't be celebrating a milestone today if you would have! :thumbsup:

I thought long and hard about Empy's link, and decided that it wouldn't matter if the booze companies were forced to put warnings on the labels, it wouldn't make much difference to the average drinker. I don't know about the US, but in Canada we have pictures and warnings on our cigarette packages warning about the health hazards associated with smoking, but I still smoke. Granted, having warnings on labels and packages may prevent someone from starting drinking or smoking, but I think more time and money should be spent on education at the school level.

Cigarette commercials have been banned in Canada, and stores that sell cigarettes have to keep them covered so that no one can see them. I'm not sure how you would do that with alcohol though. Every major sporting event is sponsored by a booze company of one sort or another. Let's face it, alcohol is a big business. What I would like to see is the breweries and distillers be forced to list all the possible side effects of drinking just like we see on any other drug commercial. And not just some tiny print at the bottom of the ad, but narrated out loud just like the pharmaceutical companies are forced to do. Education, education, education, that's where it should begin. As they say, an ounce of prevention is worth more than a pound of cure!
    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Sunny and cold this morning.
      I hope Ori is busy with work, which is why he's not checking in.
      24 more for all of us please!

Comment

I missed checking in yesterday but still sober. Working on day 4 today. Hope all of our friends on the East Coast stay safe. Right now is 30 degrees in the Texas Panhandle...not bad at all for January. Another 24 please...

Comment

8:04 here on a sunny, blue skied morning.. enjoying a few more before heading home to cold and gray. I'm happy that I have a cozy home..
          Jude, do you really have a tractor for plowing snow? That's some serious business!
          Great job on day 4, Kim!!
          I also like to read and think about the advertising of alcohol.. I hate that it's pushed on people and how it's portrayed/socially accepted as the norm in t.v. and films.. I would like labels as they have on cigarettes because, as you said AB, though it might not help with those already addicted, it could stop those who haven't yet started from starting. I know my kids are scared to death of smoking and it's partly because of what they read on the label. If a 10 or 12 year old who has never imbibed reads that something/wine/beer/whatever (which for them tastes like poison) can kill you they will think about it differently. They will question WHY people/their parents/relatives, etc. decide to do it. Then, education! from an early age. My eldest has a teacher (biology, chemistry, ethics) who has gone into great detail teaching them the effects of alcohol on a teenaged brain..

Here's to 24 more af hours for all of us!
          Thanks for the congrats, AB.. 2 months here.:happy2:
          Last edited by lifechange; January 5, 2018, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

It’s been a much busier day than I’m used to but very enjoyable. I barbecued steaks for supper, a nice taste of summer, even if it is the middle of winter.

QW
            AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
            F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Settling in for the night after day #4 of being AF. Hope everyone is well and I'll take another 24...

Comment

7:30 am and Zero degrees F here in N.Y. -30 something wind chill again. Not a good day for the furnace to go on strike, but such is life, we'll get through it. Not many months ago I would have said F#%k it, had a drink and went back to bed. :cuss: One of my dogs is prone to seizures and is on meds to control them. Once in a while he has a breakthrough seizure despite the meds, and this morning was one of those times. He is O.K. now, but it's a heartbreaking sight to see one of your animals go through this. Not the best start to my Saturday, but things could be a whole lot worse, and I'm grateful for all that I have....especially my sobriety. Here's to another 24 and thank you!

Comment

I learned this, at least, by my experiment: that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams and endeavors to live the life which he has imagined, he will meet with success unexpected in common hours. - Henry David Thoreau, Walden

It's busy here but wonderful. We live out in the country so it is a challenge to have enough food for visitors without having to run into town. That's a 20 minute trip to the grocery! Luckily we do have a small convenience store a mile away. Of course the prices are high but in a pinch it can be a life saver! Mr. D is being sent to buy eggs this morning because he foolishly told me the other day when we were shopping that we had enough eggs. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Well, you can always run to the little store if we run out." Which of course I knew we would! LOL It's -4F here this morning! Ugh.

Anyhow, the snickerdoodles are a big hit with everyone!

Another 24 please, and thank you.
                  Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

-2F, with the sun coming up. Feeling good.
                    Great job, Kim! keep it going.
                    You're doing and sounding great LC! 2 months is/was a big hurdle for me. Fell there a few times.
                    24 more please!

Comment

Cross-post, @MrVervill and [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]! So sorry to hear about your dog's seizure this morning, Jude. I can well imagine how upsetting that would be! Thank goodness you are sober. Give your pup and extra pat for me! :hug:
                      Last edited by dill; January 6, 2018, 07:49 AM.
                      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

6:30am in Alberta, I'll have 24 more please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                        [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=22328]PanhandleKim[/MENTION] [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy
                        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

5:32 am in Vegas another 24 please
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy Belated Birthday QW!

Hope you enjoyed the steaks!

Comment

Happy belated birthday from me as well QW....hope that you had a great day!
                              Last edited by Jude58; January 6, 2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Jude, I'd be happy to fix your furnace, but I think the travelling time would be worth more than the furnace lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X