~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Never dipped toast in hot chocolate, cowboy but it sounds like a winner. Especially cinnamon toast, I should think! I loved your statement about setting your sail for 55 or die trying! I'd say you are a man of action and it certainly works for you! You reminded me of one of my favorite poems which I'll post below.

I too thank you for a week of good quotes, Jude. Today's reminds me of how important and powerful our thoughts are. Ideas are just thoughts and yet they can lead us to where we want to be and where we ought to go! Most important part of the quote is that we can CHOOSE them!

Committing to another 24.

Here's the poem I mentioned:

One Ship Sails East

by Ella Wheeler Wilcox

But to every mind there openeth,
    A way, and way, and away,
    A high soul climbs the highway,
    And the low soul gropes the low,
    And in between on the misty flats,
    The rest drift to and fro.

But to every man there openeth,
    A high way and a low,
    And every mind decideth,
    The way his soul shall go.

One ship sails East,
    And another West,
    By the self-same winds that blow,
    'Tis the set of the sails
    And not the gales,
    That tells the way we go.

Like the winds of the sea
    Are the waves of time,
    As we journey along through life,
    'Tis the set of the soul,
    That determines the goal,
    And not the calm or the strife.
    Last edited by dill; March 3, 2018, 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling
    Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

9:22 am here in Jersey. Snow/sleet yesterday and still have high winds but the sun is out today, 39f. Committing to another 24!
      [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION], there is evidence that now that you've crossed that two week mark the brain is has already gone through some significant recovery. Alcoholics' Brains Recover Quickly After Detox. My attempt at an alcohol recovery timeline : stopdrinking (had a timeline at one point that these points footnoted.) Looking for the one that indicated significant improvement in decision making. Well done!
      [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], like this morning's quote. That along with [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]'s reference to setting his sail brings to mind the image that has keeping me going. I have a star by which I sail this course and though there may be storms, there may be times when I get lost but as long as I can see that star I can always adjust my sail. :hug:
      Last edited by Orimus; March 3, 2018, 09:47 AM.
      “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
      Newbies Nest Roll Call
      Toolbox
      Cattleman Cafe

Comment

Morning All.

I’m committing to another 24 hours. Smacking strong urges down yesterday feels good this morning, as I knew it would. The sleep could have been better. I retired after 10 and woke up at 2. Sleep did not want to come to bed, so went to the couch again. I stoked up the fire and read for a bit. Fell asleep at some point, but the lack of sleep left me feeling hungover this morning which I happily report was not from booze and here I sit in day 16. I would have slept longer, but a household member turned on the television at 6:30 p.m...grrrr (I’m a very consider person which is why I move to the couch, but one household member is NOT.) Does anyone else feel hungover with a lack of sleep? I had some hours in that period, but very disruptive in nature. BTW, was it someone here who mentioned watching a show titled, ‘Alone’? I looked it up and really like the show. I was up later than usual hooked in season 1. I haven’t binged on a show in awhile. I have several episodes in season one to see yet, so no giving it away.

Abcowboy, I agree. We are all different and yet the same. I am learning what didn’t work for me before is helping me this time around. I feel our quits have a lot of factors to them, and timing and circumstances can be factors, too. I’m a habitual researcher as to whys and hows and everything that strikes me. I love to learn. We all have different personality characteristics. Knowing who we are helps. Present awareness makes that clear to me. Drinking affects my ability to have that joy and was crushing my self-esteem in that category. I was having word recall issues and related memory problems. I didn’t like it, but didn’t care with all the pain I was going through, but I’m finding my way out of that darkness. I want to ‘die living, not live dying’. I’m a dipper, so the cinnamon toast sounds yummy. I can’t ‘recall’ if I tried that in my youth. Onward I go healing my brain.

Thank you Jude for the quotes. I’m a quote collector and have quite a few pages in my notebook and elsewhere. Simple words provoking thought and inspiration.

Dill, I like the poem. Thank you for sharing.

Orimus, thank you for your thoughts on the sobriety timeline. I’ll agree with you because I am noticing my decision making and review on past decision making is becoming very fact filled and more logical. We sure can make some bad decisions while under the influence which I understand why much more now. Alcohol is not our friend just like other things we realize when we have stopping living under its influence.

Lifechange, I bet we’ve all had some of those moments even while not under the influence. Locking yourself out of a house, a car, etc. Hopefully, no effects on your cold.
        The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

Committing to another 24 hours.
          [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION], thanks for the offer of your shovel. Don’t suppose you’d like to bring it and operate it, would you? I’ve shovelled 3 times in the past 24 hours, a total of 35cms or 14 inches. I’m running out of places to put it!

Day 4 well underway. No cravings yet but I’m expecting them and am ready!

QW
          Last edited by Quit wining; March 3, 2018, 03:47 PM.
          AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
          F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

I can still vividly recall the first time that I got drunk after 9 years of sobriety. It was on my honeymoon (second marriage) and I had previously taken a few sips of wine after the wedding ceremony. I had bought a couple of bottles of wine against my better judgment, but I said "what the hell, it's a celebration, just this one time." I can remember as the level in the bottle went down, having glass after glass, and not really even wanting it. That's the saddest part and I should have stopped then. I didn't however, and fell off of the proverbial wagon into a field of shit. The saddest part is that it wasn't even a pleasant buzz; I remember feeling very, very scared, and toxic to boot. My husband said, "you know that you really shouldn't be drinking." but of course I didn't listen. It took me eight long years to get sober again, and I realized what a foolish decision I had made. Looking back, I suspect that my mother's passing two months previous probably had a lot to do with my relapse, combined with the stress of planning a wedding.
            There will always be something in our lives that causes pain and heartache, that's just a part of life. As you all know, it's easy to fall into a bottle, much harder to claw your way out. No one is perfect, and we all have our weak moments, but please, please don't let a relapse throw all of your hard work down the drain. Put the bottle down and walk away, before it's too late.

6:15 here in N.Y. and it's finally stopped snowing. Wishing myself and all of you another 24....

Comment

Yes, [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION], I feel hungover if I don't have a good night's sleep but I am always grateful when I know that the feeling isn't really a hangover! LOL I am fortunate because I generally have no issues with sleep. Sleep issues seem to be a common problem among drinkers and ex drinkers, it seems to me. I have never heard of "Alone". It sounds like one Mr. D would enjoy. Currently we are watching Ray Donovan binge-style but I'm not sure we'll keep watching it. It has become so dark and twisted that I can't find a redeeming human character in any of the characters at this point. I am not recommending the show. I'm just saying that's what we've been watching.

[MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION], that is a sad, sad memory. I'm really glad you found your way out. I didn't know you had 9 years of sobriety prior to relapse. I understand how easy it would be to fall right back into old habits, believe me. I have many plans and safeguards set up for myself as I know were things can go for me if I don't. That relaps must have had a negative impact on your second marriage. I am so glad that you are here with us! Safety in numbers. Thank you for sharing that here as a reminder to us all.

Speaking of dipping things into coffee, does anyone here like biscotti? I made some cinnamon/raisin/walnut biscotti and they were so good I brought some to the café to share!

Plans and safeguards in place for another 24. My granddaughter is here this weekend and I don't want to cloud up any of our precious time together!

Wishing everyone a sober Sunday!

Last edited by dill; March 4, 2018, 07:00 AM.
              Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

GMAE all, happy Sunday. 7:42 am here and it's a gray, gray day out there, 40f. Committing to another 24!
                “If we are facing in the right direction, all we have to do is keep on walking.” – Zen proverb

"See it as it is, not worse than it is just so you have a reason not to try." - Tony Robbins.

Newbies Nest
                Newbies Nest Roll Call
                Toolbox
                Cattleman Cafe

Comment

"Fear of failure or fear of success, the simple truth is that most of us just don’t dare to have, do or be what we really want. Nothing out there is holding us back. We are holding ourselves back."
                  - Jack Canfield

Yep, we are our own worst enemy in many cases. It's easy to procrastinate or take the easy way out, and often times talk ourselves out of doing what we really should or want to be doing. We all have amazing strength and courage, once we realize that, the sky's the limit!

6:25am in Alberta, 24 for me and anyone else who wants them please, and thanks...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                  [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=17632]Mr Vervill[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20895]Orimus[/MENTION] [MENTION=24140]Crusader[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
                  Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                  Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                  Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Talk about coincidence [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] lol. Our first cup of coffee in the morning comes from the Keurig as we wait for the fresh coffee to finish perking. I always just have black, but Bubba likes those flavoured kinds. Yesterday she bought vanilla and biscotti! Even in my drinking days, I very rarely put Bailey's in my coffee and one would think us alkies would jump at the chance to get started early lol.

Anyway, homemade biscotti sounds marvelous, but no dipping for me, nothing foreign in my java lol. Have a few pieces of dill's biscotti while I get the breakfast cart out!

Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Morning all...up early again.

Thanks for the thoughts, Dill. It is a common theme, indeed. Some of mine is due to my SO. If it doesn't stop, that will be on my list very soon. It's already heavily on my mind and has been. Selfish people can be very draining.

I like the quote, a lot, abc.

Committed to another 24 hours.
                      The Drunkards Progress. From the first glass to the grave...

Comment

5:50 am in Vegas,another 24 please yes even my daughter with the newborn commented on how lack of sleep feels almost like a hangover after one night the baby was up nearly all night,I said it really does especially in my case I get the same shakes,nausea,dizziness,etc,bleh,,thanks for the breakfasty Cowboy
                        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Think I might try something different on Sunday’s, I seem to have way more time to ponder and reflect on some of the things posted throughout the week….

Originally posted by lifechange
                          Yesterday I went out to do a bit of shopping and forgot my key/phone inside the flat
                          I’m a journeyman locksmith LC, and can agree how easy it is to get through a locked door. That’s why I always recommend people install “deadbolt” locks on all their entrances and put a “bar” on any sliding patio doors. I remember one time when I was drunk and had locked the keys to my truck inside it. One would think that was enough of a message not to drive, but no, I had to get home. I picked up a big rock and was just about ready to smash out the driver’s door window when I noticed the electronic keypad under the handle. I punched in the code, doors unlocked, and I was on my way!

Originally posted by Orimus
                          there may be times when I get lost but as long as I can see that star I can always adjust my sail
                          I couldn’t agree more Ori, never take your eyes off the prize! That’s why I’m so glad when I see people never giving up! We all get waylaid somewhere along the way, we just add to our plan, maybe change it a bit, then set sail once again…

Originally posted by Crusader
                          BTW, was it someone here who mentioned watching a show titled, ‘Alone’
                          I think that was me Crusader. I watched all the seasons as they aired. Quite the show and tells us how much being alone can affect us. Like most of us, I ended up drinking alone, then the loneliness and depression would set in. It goes to show how much of social creatures we really are, we need that contact with others or we slide further down the hole of despair…

Originally posted by dill
                          Ideas are just thoughts and yet they can lead us to where we want to be and where we ought to go!
                          What I really liked about that statement is the positive aspect to it! There is also the negative place our thoughts can take us, but if we choose positive thoughts over negative ones, our lives can’t help but get better. Loved the poem dill!

Originally posted by Quit wining
                          Day 4 well underway. No cravings yet but I’m expecting them and am ready!
                          My thoughts; if you expect cravings and are just waiting for them, they will be bound to come because we’re spending too much time worrying about them. We don’t drink, we’ve put that behind us, and we’ve come up with other ways to get us through our difficult situations. No such thing as cravings anymore, triggers maybe, but we don’t need or crave alcohol for anything!

Originally posted by Jude58
                          It took me eight long years to get sober again, and I realized what a foolish decision I had made.
                          I have to admit, this is a huge deterrent for me to ever drink again! I’ve read so many stories just like this and I know I’d never come back if I started again! I don’t want to die a drunk, I want to die sober and happy!

Okay, so that got pretty long winded lol. Didn’t mention everyone, but I most definitely will in the days/weeks to come. Everyone here says something that inspires me, makes me glad that we’re all in this together!

We didn’t get as much snow as you guys QW, but I’m headed out to shovel for the fourth time, and might have one more date with the shovel later if the snow keeps falling!
                          Last edited by abcowboy; March 4, 2018, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Quick fly by
                            24 more please

Comment

Committing to another 24 hours.

Still no sign of Cowboy and his shovel. Just sayin’

QW
                              AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                              F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Sorry QW but I had to use it myself 3 times today! Looks like it’ll be free for tomorrow though!

Comment

Working...
                                X