Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Winter has returned for a few days and we are under a winter storm warning - blowing snow and cold windchills. Good day to stay inside.

Our neighbours returned the plate last evening that I used to take them freshly baked bread Sunday. Turns out they were just about to start their supper of homemade soup when I delivered the bread. They apparently enjoyed it very much. I see more bread in their future!

Jude, great quote. I haven’t yet found myself jealous of those who can drink responsibly but when I quit smoking I was sure jealous of social smokers. What still keeps me away from nicotine is the fear that if I have a cigarette now, I’d venture out in this blizzard and buy a carton. And that’s 36 years after I quit.

Enjoy the days off with Bubba and Hank Cowboy.

Have a great day everyone, af of course.

QW
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Back home in Vermilion for a few days at least. Even if the crops dry enough to start combining, the predicted overnight lows are around -8C (18F) for the next 4 -5 days and that will mean no water in the camper! So I drained everything this morning and will wait till it warms up before I move back out.

Finally got those pictures uploaded of what not to do with your combine!

Glad it wasn't me this time lol.
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

I can honestly say [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] that with my past love of beer, I wouldn't have dared step foot in an English pub! It would have been too tempting!

Now I need to go back and get caught up on all the happenings with you fine folks, but in the meantime, some personal reflections on the great quotes from [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION]!

Self-respect…boy, I’m not sure I still have any of that. When I was drinking it didn’t matter to me what I was doing to my mind and body or how I felt about other people. I’m sure I had this false confidence in myself that was fueled by booze, confident that I could handle my drinking and still be a contributing member to society, but I was wrong on both counts. Even after all this time sober, I’m not quite sure that my recovery journey is going the way I want it to, and when that day finally comes, maybe I’ll gain the self-respect that I need to make the journey easier and more enjoyable…

Deciding and doing… isn’t that sobriety in a nutshell? But it also opens up a whole new can of worms, just how do we do it. Once the decision is made, then the plan of how to follow that decision needs to be addressed. How will I handle the situations that gave me my excuse to drink. There’s always going to be obstacles in our path so our plan has to be flexible enough to get around or over those obstacles, but rigid enough to not give us the reason to scrap the plan and the decision altogether. Guess that’s one of the reasons that taking things one day at a time is so important…

You know, I sometimes think that I don’t truly understand alcoholism and addiction, so how can I expect others who aren’t alcoholics to understand what we’re going through. And that’s exactly what I tell people. You can’t understand it unless you go through it yourself. So many people find it hard to believe that we can’t have just one, that just one will lead us straight back to where we were. But the people who went through those dark days along side us understand it, and isn’t that all that really matters…
        Last edited by abcowboy; October 9, 2019, 07:24 AM.
        Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
        Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
        Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

“Fear can only be prevalent in the absence of sufficient sobriety. In the full light of sobriety fear evaporates like mist before the sun.”

― ThĂ©un Mares, Cry of the Eagle: The Toltec Teachings Volume 2

Fear and anxiety were ever present when I was drinking. Quitting the booze allowed me to view life in a much more positive light, and it was very much like the sun dissolving the mist.

Shoulder is coming along....still some pain, and I won't be able to drive for another month. Bummer!

Another 24 please and thank you very much!

Comment

6:00am in Alberta, I'll have another 24 please, and thanks...

A bit nippy out there this morning at -3C (26F) and still cloudy. At least there wasn't any snow or rain overnight...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
            [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

Originally posted by dill View Post
              There were others in our group who I could tell were alcohol dependent, if not alcoholic. They invariably were in the bar before and after dinner...with the wine served at the meal, of course! I doubt if they even realized their dependency. They probably thought they were in control and choosing to drink.
              This is so true! -that stage where people/we think we’re choosing to drink, when we’re really being compelled by dependency to have to drink!

OMG, Cowboy! It can’t be easy to pull a huge combine out of the muck.

Thanks for the update on your shoulder, Jude. And also for the reminder that alcohol causes anxiety/fear.

QW, I like how you can learn from your dad, as an example of how not to be around the grandchildren. Then you strive to be the opposite.

It’s warm enough here for a couple of hours each day this week to get out for a little bike ride! That makes me feel so much better. But, as it is October, my days are numbered.

Went to the movies with SIL last night and enjoyed the movie “Judy”, about Judy Garland. It’s fun to have a movie buddy now that she has moved here!

Asking for 24 more hours AF.
              Last edited by Slo; October 9, 2019, 07:42 AM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

5:48 am in Vegas another 24
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

24 more, please and thank you.
                  Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Thanks for the update, Jude. Thanks for all the great reflections, ABC and all.

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

We learned yesterday that the vacation package we bought in June for our winter escape in February changed flight times without telling our agent or us. The new flight times would have seen us arrive at the resort around midnight, the return flight arriving in Calgary at 2:45AM! That trip has been cancelled and replaced by a trip to the same resort 2 days earlier with a different airline and friendlier flight times. Want to know how to lose customers? That’s how you lose customers. Cowboy, the airline that lost our business is Canada’s largest, the one who gained our business is based in Calgary. You know who I’m talking about.
                      It doesn’t matter what product or service you offer, you’re in the PEOPLE business.
                      At one time, that frustration would have resulted in some serious drinking. Never entered my mind. Our travel agent though was pretty mad and I bet she had a drink or two last evening.

Have a great af Wednesday everyone!

QW
                      AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                      F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Good morning. QW That airline change would make me mad also. That has happened to us once and we had no recourse. On our trip to Arizona this week the plane was half empty. Lots of people were sitting all crunched up in the back of the plane. When someone asked a stewardess if we could spread out, she said no that those empty seats were upgrades and we had to stay put. That is ridiculous. Oh well we got to our destination. Its all about money not customer service!! Hope everyone has a great day. Another 24 for me please and thanks.

Comment

Strength comes from struggle. When you learn to see your struggles as opportunities to become stronger, better, wiser, then your thinking shifts from "I can't do this" to "I must do this.~Toni Sorenson

Thankful for sobriety and looking forward to another 24.

Comment

I was wondering about the film Judy, Ginger. Thanks for the comment. We went to the Downton Abby film yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it but were shocked at the ticket price! Last time we took in a matinee it was around $5-6. This time it was $9.50 and that was with the senior discount applied! I doubt we'll be going to many movies at that price. We'll just wait for them to be on DVD.

24 more please and thank you.
                            Last edited by dill; October 10, 2019, 05:03 AM.
                            Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

6:00am in Alberta, 24 more please, and thanks...

-9C (16F) this morning and no clouds, maybe the temp will freeze dry the crops and we can get back to combining...

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
                              [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!

Comment

That is some bitter weather you’re having already, Cowboy.

Sobriety does contain the opportunity of helping us to become stronger, better, & wiser. Thank you for that.

I saw ‘Judy’ this week and ‘Downton Abbey’ last week with SIL -both really good! We have the same taste in movies. But we go on “$5 Tuesdays” at our cinemas. And even a good-sized popcorn & soda combo is only $6 that day! But you do have to wait in long lines for it.

Asking for another day of sobriety!
                                Last edited by Slo; October 10, 2019, 07:34 AM.
                                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Working...
                                X