Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ~cattleman cafe~ & another 24...

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Jude, I figure I’ve not wasted/saved $4,500 so far in this journey. Almost enough to pay for the Mexico trip.

We had a scary drive to Canmore yesterday thanks to fog and black ice on the roads. We passed a horrible accident scene. From the damage to the vehicles, I’d be surprised if there weren’t serious injuries. Anyway, we took our time and drove to the conditions. Haven’t been out yet but a substantial amount of snow is forecast.

Great advice Ginger! Everybody should follow it!

From the beautiful Rocky Mountains, have a great af Sunday everyone.

QW
    AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
    F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

I had to laugh at that 3rd item Ginger! Thanks for that! And thanks for all the good quotes this week!

Slo, It's not a name I would choose, that's for sure, but at the same time, I am happy to see that people seem to be returning to some of the more old-fashioned and traditional names. Your Mabel will soon bring a whole new meaning to that old name. I must say tho it reminded me of the old beer jingle for Carling Black Label Beer. "Hey, Mabel, Black Label!" Anyone here remember hearing that in their youth?

Speaking of beer commercials, I was listening to someone on TV talking about giving wine as a gift and earlier in the day I listened to a Nicorette gum commercial talking about how hard it is to quit smoking but it can be done taking it in small steps. I thought it sure would be nice if they had commercials about how hard it is to quit alcohol, but instead we get all the glamorous commercials about what fun it is and how sophisticated it is and suggestions that wine makes a great gift and blah, blah, blah! I'm glad they have all the Quit smoking commercials, but I just wish they would do the same for alcohol!

Thanks for the great breakfast Cowboy. I was really happy to see that bacon today as I had an urge for some this morning!

QW, I'm glad you made is safe and sound! Sounds scary.

24 more please and thank you.
      Last edited by dill; December 22, 2019, 01:13 PM.
      Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Monday quote:

“Don’t be afraid to lose people. Be afraid of losing yourself by trying to please everyone around you.”
        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good morning and good quote Slo. Congrats QW on 300 days. Thats amazing and quite a savings for sure! Last night I had the strong almost primal to drink. I looked thru the house, (thank goodness there is no booze) and almost drove to the liquor store. It was the biggest urge I have had in a long time. I usually would just cave. Last night after about 1/2 hour of thinking and wanting it to the point of literally sweating, I made a cup of detox tea and settled down with a coloring book. I am so happy that I got it back together. It just shows how easy the beast can creep in and try to take over. I am waking up sober and relived that I did not drink. Thanks for listening. Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

So glad that you didn't cave [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]! I do understand those primal urges! Having a drink becomes the most important thing in the world, but the urges do pass. I'm sure that you're very grateful that you didn't give in. Next time the AV comes calling, remember the barf fest from your last drinking episode. Also, fast forward things to the next morning, and think about how you will feel. What's getting to me is the abundance of booze related commercials this time of year. It's amazing how they can make drinking poison look desirable! As dill mentioned, they really should pull all of the booze ads, just as they did the smoking ones!

[MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION]....that's a lot of money that you saved! I quit smoking 4 months ago, and have saved close to a $1000.00! Well worth it!

Happy Monday to everyone else!

I'll take another 24 please and thank you!
            Last edited by Jude58; December 23, 2019, 07:15 AM.

Comment

5:25am in Alberta, another 24 please, and thanks!

-7C (20F) this morning with just a trace of snow overnight.

In the past 24 hours, these people have signed in for 24 hours of sobriety:
              [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] [MENTION=24080]Jude58[/MENTION] [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION] [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION] [MENTION=20929]Ginger999[/MENTION] [MENTION=22409]Quit wining[/MENTION] [MENTION=7944]dill[/MENTION] abcowboy

Today is going to be a darn good day not to drink!
              Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
              Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
              Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Rava I clicked the "Thank" button under your post to say I was thankful that you beat back the craving. It sounds like a rough evening and you should be very proud of yourself!

My granddaughter (8yo) decided to stay 2 nights and I am so grateful that we have had a bit of warm, sunny weather while she is here. She lives in an apartment in a very congested suburb and whenever she comes here she tells me how much she loves the country and being able to be outdoors and breathing the fresh country air. She spent a long time yesterday outdoors with Tessa and in her tree fort.

Slo, that was a good quote and a good reminder. It's important to keep things in balance, especially at this time of year. I hope your pain is getting less severe with each passing day.

24 hours please and thank you.
                Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

5:50 am in Vegas another 24,Slo my friend named her daughter Maybel a few years ago, we were shocked at the time but I'm sure it'll grow on you
                  I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                  Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

My foggy brain now understands that I was supposed to start quotes on Sunday rather than Monday -oops!

Good job on urge-surfing, Rava. That must have been a very, very long half hour to get through. We’re proud that you did it! You can see now why it is important to have your house completely booze-free like you did during this vulnerable period. That really helped.

I don’t remember those Carling Black Label beer commercials? It might have been a regional beer that we didn’t have here. I had a storybook for the girls about “Mabel hiding under the table” that they just loved, so I saved it for the grandchildren. Everyone thinks the baby will be a boy anyways, including me.

That black ice is so scary! We had it here a couple Saturdays ago, and the hospital staff said it caused a lot of fractures. Then I found out that my mom fell on it and has massive bruises on her hip and knee, but thankfully she didn’t break anything.
                    I was in the hospital overnight before they booted me out at noon, Cowboy. In pre-surgery class they said that they’re starting to do joint replacement surgeries as day surgeries on our coasts now, so I guess I’m lucky that I could even stay overnight!

So thankful that you’re home now, Ginger!

Looking for 24 hours AF today.
                    Last edited by Slo; December 23, 2019, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Great quote, Slo. No worries about the Sunday quote. Getting well is your first priority. Hope each day finds you better and better.

Rava, so glad you held on and made it through. I'll be glad when all the stupid holiday ads for AL are over. It's like subliminal messages to our AL brains, I swear!

Another great day seeing family! Oh and have I mentioned, I LOVE OUR HOUSE?

I'll take another 24, please and thank you!

Comment

Another 24 hours please & thank you.

Today is the 12th anniversary of my Dad’s passing. Every year since, us kids would drink a toast to Dad but today mine will be made with a soft drink or coffee. For those in the Cafe who are still fortunate to have their parents in their lives, appreciate every minute you have together. They’re not always easy to live with but they won’t be with you forever.
                        On this date I always remember that WestJet got me a seat on a sold out flight 12 years ago so that I could be with Dad when he passed. I will never forget that. And every year when we go somewhere warm to escape winter, it’s on a WestJet vacation package.

I’m old enough to remember those Mabel, Black Label beer ads. My grandmother, a tee-totaller was named Mabel. And she intensely disliked those ads!

Back home today after a nice escape to the mountains. Have a great af Monday everyone!

QW
                        AF since 26-02-19 NF since 04-83
                        F*ck PD, cancer, dementia & covid-19

24/7/365

Comment

Another 24 please, 10:53 in Calgary.

Thanks for the post Quit, my mom and mother in law are coming over for lunch today for that reason. We want to appreciate them as long as we can.
                          Yeah, the roads from Banff we scary. We drove home Saturday from our little get away and holy crap they were slippery. We did not see any accidents though. Banff was beautiful, like a Hallmark card. Snowing big snowflakes, snow all over the trees and not too cold. It was unreal.

Anyway, have a good one and don't drink today.
                          Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                          "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Great job on kicking AV butt [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION]! You build your sober muscles every time you do that!

Great quote [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], and especially true when we think of our old drinking buddies! And for your info, my Grandma's name was Mabel, so I think it's a fantastic name!!

The girls and son-in-law made it out to Adam and Darcie's safe and sound last night. They have their 'kids only" day today and tonight, then come in here tomorrow after lunch for the rest of the day and night. Then after lunch Christmas Day they head over to their mom's. Bubba and Hank are going to come home tomorrow afternoon as well she said, unless the weather turns bad. I told her it didn't matter what the weather was like, I'd drive over and pick them up!

Did lots of housework and a bit more to do in the morning; garbage's to take out, kitchen and bathroom floors to wash, then another quick vacuum for the rugs and I'll be all set. Even did my Christmas shopping for Bubba a day early lol.
                            Last edited by abcowboy; December 23, 2019, 06:08 PM.
                            Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                            Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                            Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Tuesday quote:

“A lovely thing about Christmas is that it’s compulsory, like a thunderstorm, and we all go through it together.”

-Garrison Keillor

Comment

Good morning. Thanks for all the support about my horrible cravings. Last night was a normal AF night. No cravings and back to normal. With the holidays coming up I need to be extra aware of these cravings and the fact that they could come back again. I hope everyone has a great day today. I will be baking and heading to my daughters house for a family party. Hope everyone has a wonderful and sober Christmas Eve! Another 24 for me please and thank you.

Comment

Working...
                                X