• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One Step at a Time - Dry (And Healthy, Self-Caring) July 2018

Happy fourth of July friends!!
    I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
    Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy 4th of July. 3 years ago was a bad memory - a drunken mess. But, that is in the past and it won't be repeated as long as I don't pick up the first drink.
      And that is what I am doing good for myself today! I am not drinking. :yay:
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

I was taking a shower today (yes - we have hot water! :welldone and thought to myself that you all do so much all the time. I just don't know how you have the energy.
        Glassie - working 10+ hours a day and studying and interviewing for a new position and LEARNED TO KNIT her granddaughter the most precious blanket in the world.
        And I started thinking about everything that you all do. But, then I went on to start thinking of what amazing women you all are. You all are such strong women and mean so much to me. I honestly feel like I could reach out to any one of you and ask for help and you would be there for me. :heartbeat:
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi all,
          Ah Nora, you are doing so much as well! Such a strong woman! And that grill must have been something!! Glad you got your water fixed......Lizann, that is tough, Mark being so far away.I sure have a hard time when my kids are away.Nice little Logan is getting some steps in. Hope the pizza turns out well........Glassie, that is so much to do. Sounds rewarding though. .........Rusty, the lake sounds wonderful. I love being around water....well nothing going on today...wanted a beer badly but took a nap instead. Did laundry. It is raining now and hot. Had dd2 go by and look at a couple houses. Maybe I will drive up tomorrow or Friday and look at them. I need to get something. Just sitting here reading my library book and listening to the rain. So glad I didn't drink.....b

Comment

OMG [MENTION=5628]Nora[/MENTION], your post is so sweet. Yes, absolutely, I am here for you! You guys pulled me through a pretty tough time last year. You are doing a lot too. I don't know if any of you saw Finding Nemo, but there's a mantra in the movie that the one fish Dori uses "Just keep swimming, Just keep swimming." TS and I use that mantra a lot when our life gets tough. It brings us a smile, because it's cute and profoundly true!
            Hope you all had a fabulous 4th! I sure did. My self care for today, a lot of hearty belly laughs. The grilled pineapple pizza was delicious and a definite make again!
            Last edited by Lizann; July 4, 2018, 07:14 PM.

Comment

The party is in full swing out there. I am so glad that I decided not to participate.

Liz - glad the barbecue was fun!

Bird - GREAT job on not drinking. Sometimes taking a nap is the best answer for sure.

Sounds really loud out there - I wonder if my neighbor is having a margarita stand again. There are suddenly a huge amount of adults standing out in front of my house laughing. And the volume got much louder. LOL
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

You're a good sport Nora! I think I'd be upset at all the noise. Nice and quiet hear, outside of some fireworks in the distance.

Comment

Ugh, a drinking party sounds awful. Bet they are whooping it up by now...glad the pizza turned out Liz....my friend called me from Colorado. She was drinking, but not too bad yet. It is dark here and I can here people setting off fireworks and shooting guns. It cooled off enough to shut the ac and open the windows. All the cats are in and running around playing with cat toys. I love that....

Comment

I'm gonna try to post a pic
                    lps house 4-18 140.jpg

Comment

Bird - your kitties are so cute!!!
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Good Morning, Friends,

Yesterday was a disaster!:sad: My sister called me at 7:30 AM and told me my aunt, the one who's been sober for 10 years, died after surgery for a hiatal hernia. I was so sad that I didn't go to the fireworks with my friend so they went without the fresh fruit I promised to bring. I just didn't have the energy to cut it all up. I was on the phone a lot yesterday, with my cousin (my aunt's daughter) who is also my goddaughter. My aunt was my mom's younger sister by 16 years, and her only remaining sibling. They were really, really close and my mom is heartbroken. My sadness is lingering today because I think about the consequences of drinking....how you can be sober for 10 years but then the longtime effects of drinking pop up and bite you in the butt. That hiatal hernia was caused by my aunt's 30-year-all-day-every-day drinking career. I wonder if I will suffer the same fate? My drinking career was about 8 years but still...am I going to have heart disease when I am 65? Anyway, sorry to be so down. I invited a dear friend over for dinner and I am in no mood to fix a meal but I will do it. On top of that...I lost a front tooth. I look like a pumpkin. All 4 of my front teeth are capped and I lost one yesterday. It doesn't hurt but there is no way I am smiling until I get a new tooth.
                        [MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION]-cute kitties!! Is it ungodly hot where you live now? It was about 90 degrees here yesterday and the mosquitoes! Ugh!

Liz-I will PM you my phone number if you would like it. I am proud of you for seeing that too much idle time is a recipe for disaster. It was for me. I hope you can get more hours after your co-worker retires. You asked about the lake path and if I can see the homes when I walk and the answer is yes! When people buy a home on the lake, they have to agree to let people walk on the path in front of their homes, whether their home is 10 yards from the shoreline or 50. The money people have, though. They will buy a brand-new home on the lake....tear it down, and then build something 3x the size! I never tire of walking on the path...it's my peaceful, safe haven.

My self-care for today is a walk on the path, exercise, and a swim in the lake.

Big hellos to Nora, Glassie, Pauly, and anyone else I missed....happy AF Thursday.:love:

Comment

Rusty that is awful. So sorry. And scary. I have a hiatal hernia. And sorry about your tooth. I have caps as well. Yes it is hot as hell and humid......don't know what I am doing today. Really want to go swimming somewhere. There is a spring about an hour south but not sure I want to drive there. Well there is always the city pool....later...b

Comment

((((((((((((((rusty)))))))))))))))))
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Dear [MENTION=1214]Rusty[/MENTION],

I am so sorry your aunt passed away but please don't assume that because something happened to her, it will happen to you. And, hiatal hernias can develop for all sorts of reasons. My mom, who has never consumed alcohol, had a horrible one that resulted in a major surgery last fall.

None of us did ourselves any favors by overconsuming alcohol for however many years. But choices you make now will have a much greater impact on your overall health and heart disease risk than what you chose several years ago. Please don't blame yourself or be afraid at this tough time. You're now making healthy choices and that is the best any of us can do.

Please take care of yourself as you take care of your mom over the coming days.

xx, NS

Comment

Rusty, I am so sorry to hear of the loss of your Aunt. I will be praying for you and your Mom and niece. :heartbeat: Please take good care of yourself and your Mom.

I can't believe you also have the tooth issue! I hope you can get in super quickly to get that fixed! I had that happen to me with one of my canine teeth and I was terribly self-conscious about it until I got it fixed, so I know somewhat how you must be feeling about that.
                                Dill

Don’t forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X