One Step at a Time - January 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One Step at a Time - January 2019

Good morning and happy Sunday! Is January over yet? I could use some tropical weather, guess I'll just have to up my vitamin D. What's everyone up to today?
    Nora, that picture of your mom and uncle was so precious! It literally brought tears to my eyes! Looks like it was a good time.
    Just a little revelation I had the other night at the get together with the hospital crowd. I was nervous, I'm just not social or outgoing. I always feel like people would rather talk to someone other than me. I sucked it up and went anyway. Some of the crowd was drinking and although no one got sloppy, it was so much easier to mingle when they were tipsy. I didn't need to be. Does that make sense? The one girl that was caught at work drinking and went to rehab again was right across the table from me and boy did we have lots to talk about. Anyway just an observation I made.

Comment

Glad you had fun Liz is the girl who went to rehab doing OK? Waves to all and have a fabulous AF Sunday!
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Happy Sunday.

Yesterday was my Uncle's 90th birthday. My uncle lives in the same mobile home park where my cousin lives. She had the party at the clubhouse which was just perfect. It had a place to It was going to be a surprise but then he was told that a few friends and family might stop by. He wasn't told who all was coming. His kids and grandkids and great nieces and great grandkids flew or drove in for the occasion. It was a special day. He hasn't been feeling well but was happy and doing well for several hours. He & mom pooped out about the same time.
        It was great to see relatives that I haven't seen in years. And to be seeing them for a happy occasion. It was fun and I wasn't anxious like I get when I'm going to be around people. Lots of drinking but you could tell who were the heavy drinkers and who had one because it was a special time.
        We put Mom next to Uncle Bill and she did fine. They were happy to see each other. She sat at a table with a group of some of his friends from the park. Then we moved over to a couch for family pictures. She and Uncle Bill just sat there and held hands. (@Lizann - it did bring a few of us to tears yesterday)
        We had a wonderful time and I'm glad that we took her. Rough hour and a half driving home though. Had to stop and give her some anxiety med. But, I'm so glad we did it.

This is a picture of my mom and my uncle - my dad and my uncle's wife were brother & sister. So my Dad married my Mom and my Aunt married my Uncle. They have been brother & sister in law for 70 years.

"Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Liz - I totally understand what you are saying about you don't have to be tipsy because they are. And wow you could have been talking about me and not being social. I'm glad that you went. And, I'm so happy that you are out of that work environment.

Bird - have you ever tried l-glutamine for cravings. It really did help me when I used it. Sorry to hear that dd2 has to have her wisdom teeth out. Good idea to wait until spring break. I hear you on no dental insurance. We have insurance but it's certainly not much of a help. I didn't know that dd1 had those gauge things. I don't like those.

Pauly - I didn't know that Michelle had those either. I cringed/laughed at the saggy earlobe. You are right that Mom would have had a field day with her tattoo's and piercings. She got hold of a couple of my cousins daughters yesterday and enjoyed looking at their arms. Ha, ha I HOPE Michelle doesn't get a face tattoo. One of my cousins kids has one across his forehead along the hairline but pretty big.
          By the way, I complain when it's 60 too - way too cold.

Rusty - very impressive that you typed your post out on your cell phone. You're getting as good as Pauly. What a horrible drinking dream you had. Glad that it was only a nightmare though. Did you get your laptop straightened out? Hubby needs a new laptop. I told him this morning that he doesn't need top of the line.

I hope that everyone has a fantastic day.
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi all,
            Went out to the Indian mounds today for a bit. Glad it is back open. Saw a opossum on the porch last night. I have seen it in the yard, they eat the bird seeds. I think it was getting the ones I spill on the porch..Nora, I love that picture! That is a long drive home. I have tried L glut for cravings, I have run out of it though, need to get some more......Liz, glad the boat show was good. Glad you don't have that old job anymore sounds awful. I don't mind talking to people who are drinking as long as it is not for a long time. Yes, I read about the B12 somewhere....Pauly, I hadn't heard about the chromium. I'll have to try it. I'm not sure I've seen dd1 without her gauges. They arent very big, I hope she doesn't get bigger ones....later

Comment

Happy Monday
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Happy Monday...nothing going on. Worked on the garden today. Had my counselor today. Next week probably going to be the last time. It is getting a bit repetitious anyway. How was everyones day?

Comment

Hi everyone. Bird - I sometimes felt like it was repetitious when I talked to a therapist. What are you going to plant in your garden? I really miss ours.

How's everyone doing? I stayed home today. I just have been sore & achy plus Mom has needed more attention yesterday & today. That was my excitement of the day. Ha, ha
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi everyone. Sounds like a quiet Monday.
                    Pauly, the girl I worked with was at an inpatient rehab in July and August. She has been sober for 6 months and says she's doing great. She was just recently divorced and tried to make light of it, but I'm pretty sure she's hurting. I didn't ask why they divorced. I think her drinking may have been a big part of it, who knows. She is tested randomly at work.
                    Well nothing new here, either so off to bed! Good night

Comment

Hi all,
                      I am thinking of getting something I saw online which is a heated cat house. It only heats up if the cat sits on it, looks like a small tent. Meow Meow is just awful to stay in, wakes me up at 4 everytime. She doesn't like to stay out when it is under 40 or so. She doesn't have much of a winter coat it seems, the other 2 cats are very furry. Or maybe I could build something. When I was in Colorado visiting my cousin, she had a very nice then for her pets which was built in to the garage. I have to go to Atlanta tomorrow and it will be in the 20's, I know Meow will not like being out while I am gone. Maybe I will go to the pet store today and see if they have one......Nora, hope you are not as sore today. Not sure what I will plant. I have not had much luck gardening in the past, so something easy.......Lizann, that random work testing sounds like being on probation.....nothing going on, rain moving in. I am on day 18 of my 30 day yoga thing. What a diff! Glad I decided to do it......b

Comment

Morning friends,Bird,the warm up tent sounds great hope you can find it too cold for me in Atlanta or any place else over there! Seen on the news that the temps are frigid,Liz,great your former coworker is doing well waves to Nora,Rusty and Glassy hope everyone has a happy AF Tuesday!

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Good Morning, Dear Steppers!!

Ahhhh…...the one benefit of frigid Wisconsin weather....my client cancelled our meetings for today and tomorrow!! Yippee!!! No traveling this week except to see Mom on Thursday. :-)
                          [MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION]-that is an adorable picture of your Mom and uncle. I got teary-eyed as well. The story of your mom being fascinated with your niece's tattoos really cracked me up. Hahaha! I have to admit, I do not like piercings or tattoos. Especially those ear gauges....UGHHHHHHHHHH!!! I am delighted that you had such a nice time with your family. You deserved some family happiness, Woman!:heartbeat:
                          [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], Pauly-I would have felt the same way you did when you hugged your daughter and saw the enormous holes in her ears.:egad: Whoever came up with that horrific fad, should be shot. Not at all attractive on men or women. I liked your FB post from yesterday...haha..I didn't think it was dumb at all, I thought it was hilarious!! Hahahahah!
                          [MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION]-I have heard so many positive things about yoga...two close friends of mine swear by it. It just is too slow moving for me, but I am thinking I should give it another try. What benefits have you seen so far? I hope the cravings have subsided. I've heard about chromium being good for food cravings, and L-Glutamine as well. Good luck finding the right little bed for your kitties. When does your daughter get her wisdom teeth pulled out?
                          [MENTION=19302]Lizann[/MENTION]-Good for you for enjoying the party with people drinking around you.:sohappy: I am SO glad you don't work at the clinic anymore!! YAY! I am sure all your former colleagues thought you looked fantastic and then said to themselves, "It's probably because she doesn't work here anymore!!" Hahahah!!

Good to hear your friend is doing well in rehab. Yes, union employees can be horrible bullies...I have seen it many times in the companies I work with...union employees are also nearly impossible to terminate despite being caught drinking/using on the job numerous times, being late for work, etc. HR is no help at all...in fact, many HR people I have known in the last 30 years have used their positions to get rid of good people just out of petty jealousy or spite. They use their roles solely to hire and fire people, but when it comes to Employee Assistance Programs, they post the damn notice on a bulletin board and then they tell me that they truly try to help struggling employees. What a bunch of BS. They are supposed to keep employee information confidential. What a joke!

When I was in CT last week, I was working with a family-owned business without about 70 people. My client told me that she had demoted Eric, one of her employees, because of drinking on the job. He was the engineering manager...a young, extremely well-educated guy. She told me about this guy's drinking on the job YEARS ago. Everyone knows about it, even the company president. My client has shown incredible compassion towards him...offered to get him into treatment and other programs. He refuses and says he doesn't have a problem. The other day she told him to just stay in his office all day because he reeked of booze! My client didn't want other people to notice. She says she can't fire him because the general manager, a woman way younger than she is, refuses to fire him. She feels sorry for him. When I had a meeting with Eric, I could smell AL on his breath and he smelled as if he hadn't showered in months. He was using very heavy cologne to try and mask it. Um, that didn't work. :-(

Big hellos to our other friends here.. [MENTION=8902]Glass Half Empty[/MENTION]...I hope you are feeling well and your thesis is developing the way you have planned it. [MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION], hope you are well, love, [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]...always offering support and kindness.. [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]...I hope the frigid Canadian weather is bearable for you...and anyone I missed...Happy AF Tuesday!!!
                          Last edited by Rusty; January 29, 2019, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Be careful out there, [MENTION=1214]Rusty[/MENTION]. We are going to be getting some brutal cold the next couple days! I'm glad you don't have to travel in it. I'm visiting my son and his family so we are going to hunker down together, which will be fun. Otherwise they would be at work and preschool so I'm grateful for the extra, if very chilly, time.
                            Have a great day, Steppers!

Comment

BIrd, yes I do believe R is on probation, I think for as long as she stays there. She just turned 39! The insurance they provide is excellent and she needs it for herself and two kids. I'm sure your cats would love that tent. Why does the cat wake you up? Could you leave food out for them? Don't they have those vacation feeder things, so they don't eat everything at once? Lucy used to wake us up around the same time. Gosh I miss her. I could really use a cuddle right now!
                              Rusty, stay warm there! Those frigid temps are on their way here. I'm glad you've got a few days off. I fear we may have ice tomorrow morning.
                              Pauly, the video of Romeo was so cute! Logan ate a ton of raspberries today. Tomorrow he probably won't touch them. Can't figure him out.
                              He was quite the handful today. He had a fit because we wouldn't let him play in the bathtub! He just climbs in now and that's where he wants to play. He carries around my hand mixer, curling iron, phone anything electrical with a cord, sigh, I'm tired!
                              Nora, hope everything is ok by you! [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION], love it when you pop in. Thanks for checking in here!
                              Have a great AF night everyone and stay warm!

Comment

Funny you said that Liz cuz Romeo has been obsessed with one of my curling irons so I let him play with it but all the banging and dragging it around must have busted something inside cuz now it won't heat up! Kids crack me up haha, all these toys and they want junk to play with

Comment

Working...
                                X