Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One Step at a Time - January 2019

Good Morning, Friends!

This extended time at home has allowed me to recharge my batteries and it's been wonderful. I was really in a funk: bored with my work, dreading all the mundane tasks that come with my career. Yesterday, I decided that I must do these tasks in the early morning hours so I don't become resentful. So far, so good! :-).
    [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]-thank you for the kind words about the people on our thread. They are truly an amazing bunch...so kind and supportive and positive! That is Nora's mantra and influence for sure. Her life is so challenging and heartbreaking at times and she never whines or complains.
    [MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION]-thank you for the betterhelp counseling link. Ah...the beauty of the internet. I loved the story about your cats...hahaha. Great quote by Brene Brown. Thank you so much!!
    [MENTION=19302]Lizann[/MENTION]-I haven't taken my decs down yet. I take them down the first Saturday after New Year's Day (our family's tradition). How exciting about your nephew getting married. I was hoping my nephew would propose to his girlfriend over Christmas. Interesting about your co-worker and husband who have AL problems. It's everywhere, isn't it? Interesting that you can read now that you aren't drinking.:yay:

A big hello to our missing friends: [MENTION=8902]Glass Half Empty[/MENTION], [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], and [MENTION=21602]abcowboy[/MENTION]. Happy AF Thursday!!

Comment

Morning. Liz, I also discovered reading again when I stopped drinking. Love it.
      "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Rusty, you do sound rejuvenated. I hope your new strategy works with the boredom. I think it must happen to everyone at some point. Finding away around it is the challenge.
        BIrd, those cats of yours sure are smart! And I mean to mention that quote yiu shared, I have been thinking about it a lot. I am struggling with owning the things I have done big time. I am hoping time will heal that wound and I can get through this. Keep moving forward, right?
        Nora, how is Savannah? Did you ever make that dreaded phone call again?
        Not much going on here. Did some Christmas clearance shopping today and got 2 wreaths for my front doors for under $10! Now that's a sale!
        Have a great night everyone!

Comment

Kids came over. I'll catch up with you all tomorrow. Past my bedtime. :heartbeat:
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi all,
            Not much happening here. Raining like crazy. Had some horrible cravings yesterday for a couple hours, but managed to get through. The kids go back to school Monday. DD1s last semester. Time sure flies. I have to think up something good for graduation....Lizann, I will pick up that book next time I am at the library. Good on the wreaths, I was looking at some before xmas and they were so high! .....NoSugar, thank you for that post!....Nora, glad you are feeling better mentally. That party sounds exciting! Hope you got your water straightened out.....Rusty, I used to get so bored at work. Glad you had some home time....later

Comment

Less than 2 years till retirement I keep telling myself.
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

And 55 minutes until I go home for the weekend. :yay:
                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Nora, guess you're not having a good day at work. It was a short week too. How is the baby? What is she doing now? I guess she's still to little to move around yet.
                  Bird, we are getting that rain tomorrow! I'm working anyway so, whatever.
                  Skyped with CJ today. She has a long weekend. Her inlaws are getting together in Florida this weekend, but she didn't want to go without Joe. They are doing pretty good. I miss her a lot! She shared with us that someone Erin graduated with (actually dated briefly) died yesterday. He's 31 years old and just became a father a few months ago. Don't know what exactly happened but we suspect suicide/drugs. So sad. He was very popular guy. Erin described him as unstable, even back then, but put up a good front. I had a nightmare this morning and sadly it really set the tone for my day, then the news of this young mans death.
                  Anyone watch SWAT on cbs? I really felt it had a powerful message last night. It was about high school shootings. Kudos to them for addressing and trying to help with that problem. Maybe that's where the nightmare came from? Ahh I'm rambling aren't I?
                  Hope you guys are all having a great Friday! Waves to Rusty, Glassy, and anyone else reading here.
                  Last edited by Lizann; January 4, 2019, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Came here and started posting and my computer froze up. Very strange. So - here I am ready be Chatty Cathy. :rotlf:
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Liz - I'm glad you got to Skype with CJ. Do they plan on staying there permanently? I know how hard it is for you with her being so far away. Really sad to hear about that young man. His whole life ahead of him but you just never know. Of course, it seems like he had major issues.
                      Sorry about your nightmare. Dreams can really stay with us - or at least the feeling of the dream. I have not seen that show SWAT. I wish someone could help with the problem. Something I feel very strongly about.
                      We are supposed to get rain tomorrow too! We want to take Mom and hubby for haircuts in the morning. Will have to see how it goes with the rain. See if it really happens.
                      I hope that you have happy dreams tonight. :hug:
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Rusty – I wanted to tell you how happy I was to hear that you had been able to recharge your batteries. You truly needed that. I hope you make it a priority to do that regularly. I think that’s really neat that you have a tradition of when you take down your decorations. Ah, between you & Liz, we are going to be celebrating some weddings. ��

Bird – Great job on not giving in to those cravings! Wow, I can’t believe it’s DD1’s last semester. Time really does fly. It seems like they were just in high school. Are you planning anything exciting this weekend?
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Lizann said:
                          I am struggling with owning the things I have done bigtime. I am hoping time will heal that wound and I can get through this. Keep movingforward, right?

Liz - I have been wanting to comment on this. I think that a lot of my relapsing had to do with how bad I felt about myself. I'm not going to share all but it's not pretty. I have done things that I truly regret and am so ashamed of.
                          But, it is over and done and in the past. That is not who I am anymore. And once I let go of that baggage I was able to begin to heal. I just had to release it - it was done.
                          I forgave myself. I hope that you can do the same. :heartbeat:
                          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Originally posted by NoraC View Post
                            Lizann said:
                            Liz - I have been wanting to comment on this. I think that a lot of my relapsing had to do with how bad I felt about myself. I'm not going to share all but it's not pretty. I have done things that I truly regret and am so ashamed of.
                            But, it is over and done and in the past. That is not who I am anymore. And once I let go of that baggage I was able to begin to heal. I just had to release it - it was done.
                            I forgave myself. I hope that you can do the same. :heartbeat:
                            Couldn't agree more, my girl . We are all developing and refining ourselves as we go along.
                            If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                            Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Hi all.
                              Nora, less than 2 years now. Hope it goes by easily....Liz, I didn't watch that. Sad about the young man. One of the kids h.s. friends committed suicide n.y.eve. Dd1 called to tell me and was upset. It seems to be a big problem anymore. Very sad. I worry she will do it one day. I know she doesn't really want to, but just wants to feel better than she does. I was thinking about it and how we are constantly bombarded with very emotional stuff from the media. I was thinking that from only watching 1 hour of the news, I went through so many strong emotions. A story so heartwarming it made me cry. A story that made me very angry. A story that made me sad. Something very funny..all in such a short time. I thought if I were to live in a place of less stuff, no electricity, cell phone, running water etc, how much better I would feel. How much better would Dd1 feel? or anybody, especially young people who have grown up in a world very different from the one we did...anyway.....got really sick last night (think colonoscopy prep). I think it was from hibiscus flower tea, which I had never tried before, but drank a lot of yest. I had made a big pot of it, poured it out this morn. Maybe it was something else, who knows. Sun is finally out here.....bridge, good to see you...

Comment

It is almost like we were different people, doesn’t it? My drinking self was not at all like the person I had been for almost 40 years. And the post-drinking me is much different to both of them. The good news is, I like this third version best and in many ways am grateful that the experience of becoming and overcoming addiction resulted in some important positive changes. I tend to be a person who resists change but thank goodness these changes happened! It’s heped me be much more open to and content with all of the inevitable changes of life.

I’m embarrassed and sorry for some things NoSugar #2 did (and didn’t) do, but it is becoming easier to forgive her, as I would another person who apologized. And I totally forgive the overachieving, other-pleasing, perfectionist girl/younger woman who was primed for addiction.

We don’t just recover in a 2-D circle - we can recover up, around, and out in a continuous spiral to continually grow and be the best we can be.

I am sorry your daughter is so unhappy, [MENTION=2634]bird[/MENTION]. Hopefully something will help her change, too. xx, NS

Comment

Working...
                                X