One Step at a Time - February 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: One Step at a Time - February 2019

[MENTION=1214]Rusty[/MENTION] :thanks: for the welcome. Yes you’re right I am from the UK. I was a moderate drinker and since going to University where I first really got drunk for the first time aged 19 I didn’t have a problem. As with most over the decades it got more and more. Around the end of 2012 I finally kicked the habit after ootsnof failed attempts and abstaining and moderating. I had a 9m daughter and had increased drinking during the witching hour. I read Jason Vale’s book and it reprogrammed my mind to not drink... for a few weeks. Then I started again thinking I could moderate. I couldn’t and within a week I stopped again. This time for almost two years. Started again thinking I could control it and had another 5 or 6 months of drinking until I found out I was pregnant. Then stopped again for around a year and started again. That was January 2015. Since then I was a heavy drinker mostly wine. My marriage started to crack and I drank more. Kids stressed me so I drank. Then over a year ago some stuff in my marriage came up and my drinking got worse. Anxiety ramped up and here I am.
    I’ve not taken any medication for anxiety. My cousin is a herbal therapist and has given me some herbs for it.
    Thanks for the warm welcome and I look forward to getting to know you all.
    MinStar

Comment

[MENTION=16215]MinStar[/MENTION]:happy2:Thank you for explaining where you are in your journey. I read the Jason Vale book, too, but I liked this one better, "The Little Book of Big Change," by Amy Johnson. Our longtime sober MWO Member [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] recommended it and it is amazing. You could get the paperback on Amazon...really cheap and worthwhile. You've had some significant sober time so you've got this! Stay with us!

Comment

Originally posted by MinStar View Post
        Hey gang! Can I join? Trying to get on as many threads as I can. Keep reading and keep my mind busy
        MinStar was
        So happy to have you join us.
        I will move to my computer soon so I can properly welcome you. I'm not good at typing from my phone.
        Happy to have you on this journey with us.:welcome::welcome:
        "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

[MENTION=16215]MinStar[/MENTION]
          AF - 7-27-15

Comment

The hospice nurse should be here soon. It's so weird...about 6 weeks ago, I thought we were near the end. Today Mom is awake and aware - walking stronger with her walker. So that makes me feel guilty for taking up Hospice's time coming out to care for her. But, it sure is a load of my mind knowing we can call them. Oh well. Enough of that.

Savannah (my pride & joy 6 month old granddaughter) will be coming for a visit this morning. Casey just texted that they were getting ready. They have been busy so we haven't seen them for a couple weeks.

Pauly - sending you lots of love friend. I do hope that LB is feeling better physically.
            [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION] - you know I love having you drop by. You have so much knowledge and it's so helpful.

Ok - got to run. Big hugs to everyone and I shall be back (with pictures )
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

[MENTION=9757]NoraC[/MENTION]- thank you for the cute graphics in order to welcome our new thread member. So glad that you were able to visit with Savannah this morning. Don’t feel badly about the hospice people… This is very typical for people in the Last months or years of their life: good one day and then not so great the next. So glad your mom was up and around and using her walker today

[MENTION=16215]MinStar[/MENTION]- I forgot our beloved [MENTION=8902]Glass Half Empty[/MENTION], whom we call Glassy. She lives in OZ. :-)

Comment

Hi all,
                Welcome Minstar! Glad to have you here!....Happy Saturday all. I have had a busy day and worn out. Back later!

Comment

The book you recommended to @MinStar is a really good one in my opinion, too. @Rusty. It is a 3P book but so down to earth and practical! Another one on the topic of addiction that I highly recommed (and wish I had been exposed to when I wanted to quit but seemingly couldn't) is:
                  Death Wish: The Path through Addiction to a Glorious Life: Steve Chandler: 9781625116: Amazon.com: Books

These two Michael Neill books (and his You-Tube talks) are really helpful:
                  The Inside-Out Revolution: The Only Thing You Need to Know to Change Your Life Forever: Michael Neill: 8614424599: Amazon.com: Books
                  The Space Within: Finding Your Way Back Home: Michael Neill: 97814195569: Amazon.com: Books

I really admire Mara Gleason (One Thought Changes Everything: Mara Gleason: 9781545323885: Amazon.com: Books)
                  She has an initiative going in Chicago (and the middle east), working with troubled youth and gangs, helping them understand where their experience of life comes from, who they really are, and why they don't have to act on any idea or belief they have: https://www.onesolutionglobal.org/

As I was looking these up I came across one that I haven't read but can't resist the title: https://www.amazon.com/What-Are-Thre...SWHGDT99PFS4JZ
                  I've downloaded it so I'll let you know!

@MinStar, being really involved on MWO worked for me so I feel encouraged when I see someone taking that approach. I hope you keep it up - it is SOOOOO worth it!!!
                  Last edited by NoSugar; February 9, 2019, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Minstar - thought I'd tell you a little about me. I'm 60 years old, married to a wonderful (sometimes!) man. We have a 31 year old son and DIL with a 6 month baby girl. My mom lives with us and she has alzheimer's. We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. And there you have my life story.

I went from a not drinking, to moderate, to heavy to a closet drinker. I tried to quit more times than I can count. I tried medications, acupuncture, therapy, etc. But, I never got more than a few months. Then at the end, I was a daily, hard stuff closet drinker. (I just got very sick to my stomach thinking about it) I was a barely functioning mess. I wasn't even trying to quit.
                    I am now 3 years without alcohol.
                    Thank you for telling your story about starting again after a couple years. I need those reminders that I can't drink.
                    AF - 7-27-15

Comment

x-post NS. Thanks for all the links. Cool stuff. I agree with you that being involved helps. Also, this is the place that I can just come vent about anything and everything. That helps me tremendously to have an outlet.
                      AF - 7-27-15

Comment

AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Well, that posted huge. I'll try another one.

AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi Minstar – and welcome.
                            I think I’m the only other cuckoo in the nest here – from Australia. I’m so glad you’re being proactive and posting in lots of groups. Looking forward to hearing about whatever you’re up to.

Nora – I’m so glad your Mom had some improvement.

BTW team- did I tell you that the new babe due in July is of the male variety?

Edit: For Minstar - I have one granddaughter who is 2, and obviously another on the way.
                            Last edited by Glass Half Empty; February 9, 2019, 06:43 PM.
                            There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
                            You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

X post Nora.
                              Oh! Little Savannah is beautiful.
                              There's two ways of looking at the holes in your shoes
                              You can dig the ventilation... or you can sing the blues

I didn't come this far to only come this far.

Comment

Glassie - how exciting a baby boy. I wonder how big sister will do. Probably be very busy helping mommy. So happy for you all.

Bird - I don't remember Rusty mentioning you. What time zone are you in? What did you do today? Were you out hiking? I guess I could just look at a map. I can't believe your weather. Of course, ours is pretty screwy too. Be careful of snakes. So scary. Are they poisonous? Do you carry a snakebite kit with you?

Liz - you made me laugh about the clean sheets. Don't those always feel nice? I really got a laugh out of the 'checkers' comment. No, we weren't playing checkers. Ha, ha Fun to be redoing the living room.

Pauly - no lectures. Just a friendly reminder of how great you have been doing. Yesterday was not a good day but you moved past it. Maybe you're not quite where you want to be but you are so much closer. So, a gentle hug from me to remind you that you're ok. And today is a brand new day - one step at a time :hug:

Rusty - I cannot believe you are going to be 58. I thought you were in your early 50's. I hope you have a wonderful dinner tonight. I am so proud of you for taking a personal day. :yay:
                                AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Working...
                                X