Spring Army Manoeuvres - March 21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Spring Army Manoeuvres - March 21

[MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION]............I'll be happy to write you a sick note.
    You know my Aunt was a personal assistant and retired at 65 (back in the day women retired at 60) but she decided to stay on.............was talking to her the other day and her real ambition was to work in a sweet shop. Measuring out cola-cubes, ever-lasting gobstoppers, dolly mixtures etc was her dream job but my Granny wanted her to get a 'proper job' so she got a proper job.
    The world is your oyster............do it now don't waste your life on something you that doesn't make you happy :hug:

So its a nighty night from me. 'See' you in the morning.
    It could be worse, I could be filing.
    AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Great decision Bridge and very exciting.

International womens day tomorrow. Have you do a little talk on a zoom about coping in Lockdown (few of us doing it). Not looking forward to it. I'll stick to running, & keeping in touch with people. Wont have enough time to go into the sliding slope of alcoholism and how there is help out there :happy2:.. although I would say there has to be people out there in a much darker place than they were a year ago.

Night all. X
      AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Thank you JC. I will take you up on that sick certificate. I don't think I could be trusted with a lolly shop given my overactive reward centre but I've got a few ideas stewing away.

Molly, if you've got a micro manager then I think I'd be off as well. There is nothing more patronising. It borders on harrassment.

Mary, maybe you should spice the thing up by going in with some of your stories. lol.

Back later.
        If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
        Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Excellent news Bridge! That time when you are sure of your decision is so precious and can be elusive so good to grab it. I liken it to rock bottom in some respects. The time when we KNOW for sure somethings gotta change and then we make stuff happen without the fear indecision brings. Relish and enjoy this time.

Mary, that would give me the horrors. Is that a work thing you have to do? Yes there are many who have suffered so much during this last year. I am fortunate that I am not one of them. My niece is really struggling with anxiety, she took herself off to A&E the other night. Hugely worrying.

Molls I am following your progress on exiting your workplace with interest. I think this last year has made many of us not prepared to settle for the status quo any longer. Fascinating times

Comment

Morning folks, no work today thankfully.
            Starty you are so right about when a decision is made and you know it is the right one for you being so precious.
            So here is another ‘all about me’ post but I need to share or at the least get my current situation down on paper as it were. Our company is currently still open given as we do provide, in a small way, some essential services. However my department has a reduced working staff level of one right now, me, and the hours are all over the place. I am finding it and the continuous lock downs very difficult tbh. One of the big things to come out of this reduced production time is a planned company expansion on foot of a huge project that we secured just pre last years lockdown. This includes new equipment in my department and new management systems galore being implemented right now which are wrecking my head. What is missing is a concrete plan for increasing staff levels and yet it is generally accepted that a we are going to be snowed under within a month of being back to full production. I am told we will address this at a later date when we see where we are at but I know this will result in my picking up the slack and probably working 12 hour days again and I am not prepared to go back there. I am stressing about the stress coming down the line, kinda stupid when I look at it in that sense. The obvious answer is to revisit this discussion with the directors but for them it never seems the optimum time for them as they are stressing daily about the current lock down etc., and I have been given their answer, however one that is not acceptable to me. In reality the crux of this is I don’t want extra staff to supervise or the extra production levels and I do accept this is about me but it feels like this isn’t what I signed up for. I feel like a solution for me would be to resign my position and take a lower ranking one, let someone else take all of this on, the extra salary really doesn’t compensate but realistically my position would almost certainly become untenable. I think a lot of this is to do with my wishing to wind down now, as I get older as my ambition levels are now about all self care and quality of life but bar resignation and searching for a simpler job in a probable upcoming recession that isn’t really practical. My sobriety is number one and I have to protect that, this situation is potentially very dangerous to me and as I have said before I don’t have another quit in me, so any advice welcome.
            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
              Thank you JC. I will take you up on that sick certificate. I don't think I could be trusted with a lolly shop given my overactive reward centre but I've got a few ideas stewing away.

Molly, if you've got a micro manager then I think I'd be off as well. There is nothing more patronising. It borders on harrassment.

Mary, maybe you should spice the thing up by going in with some of your stories. lol.

Back later.
              mmmm -- re. the 'micro-manager' --- she's ( by personality) a control freak - but she relatively recently got promoted and it manifests itself as m-m. -- even tho she's not young - she's 40 - she is very life immature -- she's never had a relationship - she's only recently moved out of mam and dads - and comes out with things that are very similar to my kids when they were adolescent -- so I SORT of forgive her cos she's not aware of what she's doing - but it does wreck my head -- my senior boss will be back full-time when we return so that may put a halt to her gallop -- as my senior boss is also a really good pal of mine!!
              Originally posted by Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB) View Post
              Starty you are so right about when a decision is made and you know it is the right one for you being so precious.
              So here is another ‘all about me’ post but I need to share or at the least get my current situation down on paper as it were. Our company is currently still open given as we do provide, in a small way, some essential services. However my department has a reduced working staff level of one right now, me, and the hours are all over the place. I am finding it and the continuous lock downs very difficult tbh. One of the big things to come out of this reduced production time is a planned company expansion on foot of a huge project that we secured just pre last years lockdown. This includes new equipment in my department and new management systems galore being implemented right now which are wrecking my head. What is missing is a concrete plan for increasing staff levels and yet it is generally accepted that a we are going to be snowed under within a month of being back to full production. I am told we will address this at a later date when we see where we are at but I know this will result in my picking up the slack and probably working 12 hour days again and I am not prepared to go back there. I am stressing about the stress coming down the line, kinda stupid when I look at it in that sense. The obvious answer is to revisit this discussion with the directors but for them it never seems the optimum time for them as they are stressing daily about the current lock down etc., and I have been given their answer, however one that is not acceptable to me. In reality the crux of this is I don’t want extra staff to supervise or the extra production levels and I do accept this is about me but it feels like this isn’t what I signed up for. I feel like a solution for me would be to resign my position and take a lower ranking one, let someone else take all of this on, the extra salary really doesn’t compensate but realistically my position would almost certainly become untenable. I think a lot of this is to do with my wishing to wind down now, as I get older as my ambition levels are now about all self care and quality of life but bar resignation and searching for a simpler job in a probable upcoming recession that isn’t really practical. My sobriety is number one and I have to protect that, this situation is potentially very dangerous to me and as I have said before I don’t have another quit in me, so any advice welcome.
              okay -- now I could be misreading the situation - but it sounds to me like you are more than essential to the Directors and they are only dealing with you and your worries about the future situation and the expansion in that fashion because you are letting them (not a criticism -- just how I'm reading it) -- it depends on how much you are willing to call their bluff -- but I really am guessing from what you are saying that you are a lynch-pin at the moment and if you threatened to leave (in the nicest possible way of course) that they will more than listen to you... it is very reasonable to want to start winding down - once we hit 50+ the 12 hour days really should not even be in a discussion -- maybe email them - CC them all so they can't say they didn't know -- you are really good with words - so pretty much tell them how you feel as you've just told us - what you are willing to do (which is probably 100% more than some young upstart straight out of college anyway!!!) and what you frankly don't feel you can or want to do... if they are stressed by lockdown - they can read the email anytime - you are not cornering them with in person chat or telephone calls - so they can think about it and give you a measured response...

That's just my opinion -- I will go back to what I said a week or two ago -- and it is especially pertinent when we are over 50 -- we shouldn't let ourselves be in jobs that stress us or make us unhappy - and a lot of slightly older folk think they have to 'prove' something - myself included sometimes - and truthfully - we have nothing to prove - we've given a lifetime to work and it's more than acceptable to want to wind down stress and hours... if they did decide you are surplus to requirements on your new terms is there any alternative you can do?

Morning all
              Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
              contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Morning,
                [MENTION=21798]Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB)[/MENTION].......bless your heart. I wish I could come up with an answer or even advice. but I haven't worked in a big firm since the S&H was born. Its sounds like a form of bullying.

You're so right sobriety first.

[MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION]......Nearly cross-posted....beautifully put.

What the feck is a micro-manager?

Was awake at 3am (so was Mr JC) with what felt like a piece of grit in my left eye. Gawd it isn't half sore and still is.
                AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Micro-managing....hmmm let me see... basically it's someone looking over my shoulder checking up on every minor little detail that in fact I'd have done like an automaton having done the checks and balances ALL on my own for years!!! Drives me bonkers!!!

I have that feeling most nights in my right eye...I use drops..think it's just dry eye in my case as I'm an old lady:egad:
                  Last edited by mollyka; March 8, 2021, 01:10 PM.
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

feel like a solution for me would be to resign my position and take a lower ranking one, let someone else take all of this on, the extra salary really doesn’t compensate but realistically my position would almost certainly become untenable. I think a lot of this is to do with my wishing to wind down now,

Not sure what to say Tabbs - they want you to take on more responsibility. From what you are saying you do not want that responsibility but stay as you are.
                    Business do not want us to stay as we are.
                    They are expanding and want you to be part of it ?
                    You need to sit & talk to them - there is no other way. You should ask for written confirmation outlining your new job spec. and a new contract.
                    Then you can decide what you are prepared to do.

am told we will address this at a later date when we see where we are at but I know this will result in my picking up the slack and probably working 12 hour days again

It sounds to me like they are taking the "we're all in this together" stance - which you know is never the case in employee / management relations.

Having said all that we can't truly know what is happening without seeing how things are at present with regard to your workload & relationship with higher management.
                    Last edited by satz123; March 8, 2021, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Evening everyone. Tough situation to be in Tabs, Molly gave some good advice, not sure I have anything constructive to add. Your sobriety is the most important thing so guard that above all else. Take hope from Bridget, she has not been happy at work for a long time and at long last it is coming to a conclusion.

Beautiful spring day, wasn’t fully dark at 6am and the birds were singing and it was bright by the time I came back in at 7 am. Much easier to get up and go for a walk. Just in from work so need to get some food

Comment

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
                        Was awake at 3am (so was Mr JC) with what felt like a piece of grit in my left eye. Gawd it isn't half sore and still is.
                        That's what I had when over with you JAcks..... go to the lully optician 'round the corner :thumbsup:

Comment

Originally posted by Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB) View Post
                          Oh god I could have written that. My job just got bigger and bigger and more complex each day it seemed. I struggled and felt inadequate because I felt I couldnt keep up although the powers that be seemed to rate me well. It took me 2 years from about 54 onwards to decide enough was enough and ask for part time. I gave them all sorts of options and said I would be happy with a number of scenarios. What I didnt want is to shoot myself in the foot. When I knew, I knew and it sounds like you do too. Hopefully they will help you find something you are comfy with but honesty is key here so they dont have expectations that you are not happy with. Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Micro management is almost like harassment. Have had a couple of those over the years. Not fun.

Could be a scratched cornea. Get it checked JC

Comment

Gawd, nearly liked a post there. Ta for the replies on micro-management. Couldn't be doing with that at all.

I've got some eye drops. Its miles better just it feels very dry. I'll give them a bell tomorrow if there's no improvement. Mr JC's got the whole day off on Wednesday. Its my jab day so he's taking me. Then I've got to pick up a prescription that my GP hadn't added to my on-line pharmacy.........Echo.
                              I do worry that not for just him but his boss haven't had any real time to relax.

And Happy Women's Day...........as far as that goes in this house it means I can leave the washing up until tomorrow.

Its a nighty night from me. :heartbeat: to you all.
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening ladies, a sincere thank you all for taking the time and effort to reply with your thoughts. I will ponder on these and come up with a plan of action this week, for doing nothing, whilst no doubt easier, is not an option and I was never one to procrastinate except when it came time to put down the poison and accept where freedom lay.
                                Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Working...
                                X