Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Army August 2021

Hallo Army!!

Thanks for the shout-outs! It's been a mental couple of weeks!

First of all - we have been in the throes of a heat-wave for over 10 days now with temps up to 45C at some point and the 37-38's are supposed to continue til the 18th. Never remember anything like this. It cooled off slightly over the weekend - 35-36 and back up again today. One of the reasons we have had so many forest fires. It is estimated that there have been 250,000 acres of forest and over 1000 houses lost to fires and since the beginning of the year. A huge fire in one of he northern areas of the city last week covered the city in smoke and ash for 6 days. It is most distressing. Today is the first day that we woke up to a relatively clear sky with no ashes blowing around us. This is not the end tho' as the high temps over the next 10 days will definitely bring more fires. So sad.

[MENTION=11089]techie[/MENTION] - thinking of you on all accounts!

Covid continues to haunt us. Younger son and his lad are holidaying on the island of Crete. They were supposed to be staying at a friend's house last week and arrived on Sunday morning. Sunday night their host tested positive for Covid so they packed up and left on Monday morning. Have been in the city of Chania since but it is it partial lock-down. Luckily they seem to have escaped the virus. No positive tests so far. Son has been vaccinated but that doesn't mean he can't get the virus and a positive would mean quarantine for 14 days. Not fun when you have a 4-1/2 year-old to contend with.

Molls - delighted to hear about the wee one who's on the way. Love babies. First of all, they smell much better than dogs!!! :smile:

Jackie - so very sorry to hear about Jenny's step-son. Heartbreaking to say the least when you know your child has a limited time on this earth. Very touching that he will be best man at their wedding. :heart:
    By the way (as my Dad would say - he would have been 99 this year!) What is the difference between a decorator and a painter? Not sure....

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
    Morning all,
    I'm sorry to hear about all of that Techie. I'm sure that losing her friend has rattled Mrs T no end.
    Welcome to [MENTION=4918]Leanwolf[/MENTION] I hope you'll stick around and join in.

For reasons that I will never fathom, an idiot that I used to work with in my last team 'dropped in' to my house yesterday bearing wine and chocolate.
    A We're in hard lockdown and she can't come here
    B She didn't mask up!
    C I don't drink and she knows that
    D I am a sugar addict
    E How the hell did she know where I live? (and yes I did ask her)

So she and her idiot husband decided to do the rounds dropping off these things to various people. I just despair.
    Just for the record - I DETEST drop-ins of any kind. Don't even want my kids to come by unannounced. I think it is one of the most inconsiderate things you can do. I mean someone could be in the midst of something very personal like a shower or intimate goings on with their partner at exactly the time you decide to ring their bell. Really cannot abide it. As for the wine - I have never understood why people think it's such a treat to bring a bottle of booze as a "gift" when visiting. My landlady gives me about three bottles of their homemade wine every year and and boxes of Turkish Delight as well. Both of them go straight into the bin!!
    Originally posted by satz123 View Post

Great news Molls -!!

[COLOR=#444444]

Even without Covid I hate just 'dropping in' on someone ...... 'cos I'd hate it to be done to me. Just a little notice would be nice ..... to hide the bodies
    In Ireland that's more a country (rural) thing - not done so much in cities. So in our house country boy / city girl we don't agree on this one.

MrS is always dropping in here & dropping in there. Or at least talking about doing it.
    And just don't get me started on when a neighbour dies or even when the neighbour's long lost granny dies he's wanting to knock on the door & have tea FFS !!
    I KNOW I'm an odd-ball.

@stirlygirly I hope all is ok over there in Athens ? Those fires are shocking. Please check in.:heart:
    Satzy, dear - thank you for your concern. As stated above, cannot stand drop-ins so yer not alone. But former Mr. Stirly thought nothing of it. And was prone to dropping in on people at a whim. You've got a blasted cell phone - call first!!

Mers - hope your back is better - how is your boy? Negative I hope!

Rusters - I finished my crochet purse and am quite chuffed with it. Will try to remember to post a pic. Actually enjoyed it so much that I am thinking of doing a tote bag for a friend of mine. It really is quite satisfying!

Tabbers (a.k.a. KTAB) - I'm with you on waking up sober. I especially love the weekends! As for the camels, I guess you could call them legpits. :moonwalk:

[MENTION=4918]Leanwolf[/MENTION] - welcome to the Barracks!!!

Back to the e-mails. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day!!

Laterz....
    Last edited by stirly-girly; August 9, 2021, 06:16 AM.
    For every 60 seconds that you are angry, you lose a minute of happiness.
    AF since 10/10/2015:yay:

Comment

Evening everyone.

Good to see you back Stirly, cannot imagine temperatures like that. Well done on the crochet, it is addictive. I have not done any over the summer but plan to get back to it in the autumn.

That is very sad about Jenny’s soon to be step son. Guess we should all treasure each day. Only another few days working full time and then back to normal.

Comment

[MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION]......waving to you like a mad woman.:hug:
        Do me a favour and accept the Turkish Delight then tell them to push off.........I know someone who would be very grateful.........me :happy2:

He's actually not just a painter...............he's a painter and decorator. We've got wallpaper you can paint over. He's coming to paint the walls in the dining room, living room then paint the ceilings and do the door frames and we're finished. Its only been going on nigh on three years. There was rather a large gap because of the pandemic to deal with.
        Strangely he lived in Greece for a while after a massive earthquake they had in Turkey many years ago. It killed his father and one of his brothers. He escaped by a whisper as his mother stopped him going back to their house.
        Even stranger he is one of the members of the peer group I go to every week. Nearly fainted when I saw him there. I think he knows more about me than Mr. JC.

I cannot even begin to think of temperatures that high. Aegina in May was hot enough.

Mr JC's first day off and we went out for lunch and spent the rest of the day sorting my wool out and knitting needles. I could start my own craft shop.
        We're off to Bellingham tomorrow.........sister in law bought me a couple of nights in a dog-friendly hotel for my birthday and we're going to poke our nose in to see when we can get booked in.
        It could be worse, I could be filing.
        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Evening folks..just in from work..grand day..micro-manager is growing up and copping on bless her:thumbsup:
          There you are Stirly...can't even imagine living in that heat....our temperate climate is attributed to the gulf stream in the Atlantic...but apparently that is under threat and if it goes away we could have winters akin to Toronto....jaysus! Hope it cools down for you soon xx
          My kids all have keys and sail in willy-nilly...and does it annoy me a bit...yes...but I wouldn't say anything...spose would be worse if they never visited.
          Hi all else...watching Masterchef Australia and feeling UTTERLY inadequate...don't even know what half their ingredients are!! Enjoy your few days with the big lad Jacks

Night all xxx
          Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
          contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

AH kids are slightly allowed for drop-ins Molly? That said, I always call my folks first - but id use the key if there was no answer.
            Everyone else should be by arrangement only! Ridiculous woman bridge, blame covid.

Originally posted by JackieClaire View Post
            [MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION]..............it was September 2020 we knew....the rest of the family found out Nov 2020.
            Sadly Ads son has a life-limiting condition so they wanted to get married while he's still with us. He's only 7 now and unlikely to see his teens. He's going to be the best man.
            ]
            Ah, thats very sad JC. Does he live a full life now?

How come Jenny had to isolate for 10 days? We seem to have different rules for close contacts, if your vaccinated, your grand, if your not, get a test. Son got his result in less than 24 hours, all good - negative.
            SIL now has covid. They choose not to get vaccinated so will be missing out on my brother and his family coming home next week. noone wants them near them, even outside the infectious period.

Lovely to see you there [MENTION=11158]stirly-girly[/MENTION], glad the fires and heat is calming a bit. Thats rough...

back improving, Im a tad less grumpy :grr:
            AF - July 19th 2015 :happy2:

Comment

Morning and yooooooo hooooooo to the undies

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION]............this was pre-vaccine (well her age group) and had been in close contact with someone with covid (she doesn't know who)..........she just sat at home and watched daytime TV, the ceiling, planned her lessons until Christmas. It was a farce as Ads was still going into his school. We're nigh on all vaccinated now in the UK.

Ahh the wee man leads a very normal life. He's still got all the dreams a 7-year-old has...........he's going to play footie for Manchester United and England.

Right I'm off to make our picnic, a call into the hotel about booking and take Mikey for a nice long walk. Then back to tidy the teeny front bedroom.
              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by IamMary View Post
                Ah, thats very sad JC. Does he live a full life now?

SIL now has covid. They choose not to get vaccinated so will be missing out on my brother and his family coming home next week. noone wants them near them, even outside the infectious period.
                back improving, Im a tad less grumpy :grr:
                [MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] can't imagine you're ever grumpy - you always come across as calm & easygoing :heart:

My sister says her neighbours next door were all vaccinated. The 3 of them have tested positive & feeling very unwell.
                The young fella is a barman :egad:

Comment

[MENTION=22411]IamMary[/MENTION] can't imagine you're ever grumpy - you always come across as calm & easygoing :heart:

My sister says her neighbours next door were all vaccinated. The 3 of them have tested positive & feeling very unwell.
                  17% of positive cases are now positive...like WTF???? I blame that stupid Astrazeneca one...useless..everyone 60-70 in the country got that...thankfully we are getting a Pfizer booster...high risk group getting that..and 16 yr olds getting a proper Pfizer or Moderna one...truthfully I'm fit to be tied about it..less for me but deffo for Joe..he would be deemed somewhat vulnerable...rant over...work day nearly over..now home to a houseful of kids...FFS again!!!!
                  Contentedly sober since 27/12/2011
                  contentedly NF since 8/04/14

Comment

Originally posted by stirly-girly View Post

Just for the record - I DETEST drop-ins of any kind. Don't even want my kids to come by unannounced. I think it is one of the most inconsiderate things you can do. I mean someone could be in the midst of something very personal like a shower
                    Agree Stirls. Or you could just generally be like lego ( in bits ) as I usually am at home. Old tracksuit bottoms, jumper & flip flops.
                    That's on a good day :haha:

Think:

Attached Files

Comment

Agree Stirls. Or you could just generally be like lego ( in bits ) as I usually am at home. Old tracksuit bottoms, jumper & flip flops.

Think:

Evening everyone. Lol Satz, that’s me to a tee. It’s a pain that you can still get COVID after vaccination, hopefully not as bad. Very awkward for people who are not vaccinated, not being able to eat inside etc and as you say Mary, people not wanting to be near them. Just wish it was all over.

Enjoy your staycation with Mr JC, we did something similar and it was nice just puttering about. Just in from work and need to get something to eat.

Comment

[MENTION=9094]satz123[/MENTION]..........never seen you look better.
                        It was only a look at the place. It's stunning and got a swimming pool. Mr JC's going to try and get it booked for May next year. They're booked 'til the end of November.
                        Riverdale Hall Hotel & Restaurant
                        Driving back through Northumberland......its stunning.........the weather up here might be sketchy but today was perfect.
                        [MENTION=8529]mollyka[/MENTION]...........I'm afraid Mr JC didn't have enough time for plaque reading.
                        AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Arvo everyone. I'm too scared to look at the case numbers today so I might give myself a break.
                          Completely agree Stirly (and how are you?) It's more the public health order that I was worried about and the $1000 fine attached to breaches. And a copper living across the road watching it all. And the fact that I cannot stand the woman. This is the one who used to flip through my personal diary at work. I busted her at it three times and once reaching into my handbag, twice riffling through my personal drawers at work. I do wish she'd eff off.

I love hearing about all of your adventures out and about. Driving places and seeing things. It's kind of inspiring me to do a bit more when they bust us out, although our deadline of August 28th is unlikely to happen. Anyway, heaps of people are in worse shape than us. I have my garden and my dog and YouTube. All good.

You are looking very fetching up there Satz.
                          If your 8 year old self met you, would they be proud?
                          Rejoined life 20/5/19

Comment

Mornin' Troopers!!!

Think:

Ha Satzy - you really are a "Hottie". Love the bling!!!

Comment

Morning and waves to the world,
                              One last wardrobe to do and just the back bedroom to do. The S&H will be getting a gigantic IKEA box full of crap that he left behind when he and missus bought their house. Then he can do what he wants with it.

[MENTION=9170]byebyebridgetjones[/MENTION]...........cheeky cow. Have you thought of putting a mousetrap in your desk and handbag?
                              AF since 7/7/2009

Comment

Originally posted by mollyka View Post
                                17% of positive cases are now positive...like WTF???? I blame that stupid Astrazeneca one...useless..everyone 60-70 in the country got that...thankfully we are getting a Pfizer booster...high risk group getting that..and 16 yr olds getting a proper Pfizer or Moderna one...truthfully I'm fit to be tied about it..less for me but deffo for Joe..he would be deemed somewhat vulnerable...rant over...work day nearly over..now home to a houseful of kids...FFS again!!!!
                                Ladies, I am definitely not an expert on this but I have to comment. Our new cases were 3000 two days ago and 4200 yesterday. They're up to an all-time high. Don't imagine they will put us in lock down as it's tourist season and the biggest holiday month for the Greek people. IMOVVVHO, it should not have come as a surprise that people who have been vaccinated should test positive. The vaccine only prevents us from having more severe symptoms. It doesn't prevent us from either catching the virus or passing it on to others. I said months ago that as soon as most people were vaccinated, the numbers would go up because people will have caught the virus but have very, very mild symptoms so won't quarantine and will spread it to others. Simple as that. And unfortunately, my prediction has come true.

Molls - according to one of my besties who is a nurse - Astrazeneca is the only vaccine that actually puts the virus into our system. The others are vaccines just made to reduce the symptoms. I had Pfizer and had a reaction to the second shot. The pharmacist next door (female, 34 years old) had Pfizer and had a bad reaction to both shots. Don't know - it is all so confusing but what is definitely happening here is that people are letting their guards down now that so many people have been vaccinated. Weddings, parties, no social distancing and even entering stores, etc. without masks. Had a disagreement with a woman the other day who came in without a mask. I said she needed to wear one. She said she'd been tested and was negative. I said, no matter, the law says you wear a mask and her answer was - well we're keeping our distance and it's not like we're gonna kiss or something. FFS!!

As for Joe - he should be wearing a mask that says FFP2, FFP3 or N98 on it. Those masks protect the wearer. The surgical masks protect the others and the fabric masks really don't do much except prevent saliva or a sneeze from passing through.

Originally posted by byebyebridgetjones View Post
                                Arvo everyone. I'm too scared to look at the case numbers today so I might give myself a break.
                                Completely agree Stirly (and how are you?) It's more the public health order that I was worried about and the $1000 fine attached to breaches. And a copper living across the road watching it all. And the fact that I cannot stand the woman. This is the one who used to flip through my personal diary at work. I busted her at it three times and once reaching into my handbag, twice riffling through my personal drawers at work. I do wish she'd eff off.

I love hearing about all of your adventures out and about. Driving places and seeing things. It's kind of inspiring me to do a bit more when they bust us out, although our deadline of August 28th is unlikely to happen. Anyway, heaps of people are in worse shape than us. I have my garden and my dog and YouTube. All good.
                                Um, er, Bridgee, isn't it against work policy, if not against the law to reach into someone's handbag??? Good Lord!!! I would have gone absolutely ballistics if that had happened to me. Even catching her reading my diary would have sent me over the edge. It is unfathomable to me how someone could do something like that. Talk about nerve. And stupidity..... :egad:

Am counting the hours if not the minutes til Friday 9 a.m. That's when we've said we'll leave for our holidays and I can't wait. Going to the west coast of Greece to the town of Preveza and will venture up the coast to another couple of towns as well. I just want to chill on a beach with my special friend and not think about anything but how lovely it is to be together and away from it all. Oh joy! Got my wheels all ready. I've got me an Audi 4 drop-top and so lurve traveling with it! Friend is a super driver and I can just sit back and enjoy the countryside!! inkele:

Back to the e-mails and filing. Gotta get everything done up by tomorrow pm.

Laterz, ladiez....

Comment

Working...
                                X