This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tool box

Hi Everyone! I have recently joined MWO. This thread was given to me and I have spent ages reading it. Wow. What fantastic information. Especially the information about your "booze brain." Very informative and logical.

Angel
    Courage is not the absence of fear, it's acting in spite of it.

Comment

Tool box

Hi Everyone! I have recently joined MWO. This thread was given to me and I have spent ages reading it. Wow. What fantastic information. Especially the information about your "booze brain." Very informative and logical.

Angel
      Courage is not the absence of fear, it's acting in spite of it.

Comment

Tool box

Hi Angel! Welcome to MWO!

Love, Doodlebug
        :sun::heart::h:heart:

"My Happiness is Not Dependent on a Poisonous Chemical Depressant."

Comment

Tool box

Hi Angel! Welcome to MWO!

Love, Doodlebug

Comment

Tool box

[QUOTE=A Work in Progress;455658]Urge surfing is an important and very helpful way to deal with cravings. Every urge, impulse, or craving has a natural progression. It starts at zero, and then suddenly we become aware that the wish, desire, craving, or impulse has arisen in our minds. It can continue to get stronger, once it has arisen. And, eventually, it will fade away (so long as we do not give in to it). This is ALWAYS true for any and every craving or impulse.

Sometimes we have the (very false) impression that cravings are SO strong and powerful, that they will never go away and we MUST give in to them. One way to deal with that is to make a conscious effort to step back (mentally) and observe the craving, as if from a slight distance. Ask yourself: what am I thinking, what are the words running through my mind? Where am I feeling this craving in my body? Observe how the sensations and thoughts become uncomfortable; observe what the messages are that you might be telling yourself; and observe how you will soon become distracted, and find that you are thinking about something else... because the craving has faded away.

Once you have done that several times, you will have a different perspective on cravings, and you will be much better able to resist them. And you can always use this method, any time you find yourself struggling, or getting into a mental argument about whether or not you should or could have a drink.

I like your technique,
            [/your tricks are naturally proven what we need is adoptation which could be difficult for everyone to concentrate and observe otherwise perfect idea...thanks Kota QUOTE]
            If nature gives us lemon, we have a choice: either to cry or make lemonade.

Comment

Tool box

[QUOTE=A Work in Progress;455658]Urge surfing is an important and very helpful way to deal with cravings. Every urge, impulse, or craving has a natural progression. It starts at zero, and then suddenly we become aware that the wish, desire, craving, or impulse has arisen in our minds. It can continue to get stronger, once it has arisen. And, eventually, it will fade away (so long as we do not give in to it). This is ALWAYS true for any and every craving or impulse.

Sometimes we have the (very false) impression that cravings are SO strong and powerful, that they will never go away and we MUST give in to them. One way to deal with that is to make a conscious effort to step back (mentally) and observe the craving, as if from a slight distance. Ask yourself: what am I thinking, what are the words running through my mind? Where am I feeling this craving in my body? Observe how the sensations and thoughts become uncomfortable; observe what the messages are that you might be telling yourself; and observe how you will soon become distracted, and find that you are thinking about something else... because the craving has faded away.

Once you have done that several times, you will have a different perspective on cravings, and you will be much better able to resist them. And you can always use this method, any time you find yourself struggling, or getting into a mental argument about whether or not you should or could have a drink.

I like your technique,
              [/your tricks are naturally proven what we need is adoptation which could be difficult for everyone to concentrate and observe otherwise perfect idea...thanks Kota QUOTE]
              If nature gives us lemon, we have a choice: either to cry or make lemonade.

Comment

Tool box

That's great advice! Another thing I found that immediately gets rid of cravings is to open a capsule of L-Glutamine and put the powder under the tongue. Works for alcohol as well as sugar cravings.

Love, Doodlebug

Comment

Tool box

That's great advice! Another thing I found that immediately gets rid of cravings is to open a capsule of L-Glutamine and put the powder under the tongue. Works for alcohol as well as sugar cravings.

Love, Doodlebug

Comment

Tool box

New to MWO

Hi, just found MWO and the timing is perfect. Got really sick several days ago (sinus, baterial infections), really, really ill. Knew this was "the time" I'd been hoping for to stop drinking at least an entire bottle of wine every night. I feel encouraged though last night, the thoughts/dreams kept me up ALL night. I've experience this before and just cannot stand how it feels. Right now i'm at exactly 60 hours.....so maybe tonight will be better?

Comment

Tool box

New to MWO

Hi, just found MWO and the timing is perfect. Got really sick several days ago (sinus, baterial infections), really, really ill. Knew this was "the time" I'd been hoping for to stop drinking at least an entire bottle of wine every night. I feel encouraged though last night, the thoughts/dreams kept me up ALL night. I've experience this before and just cannot stand how it feels. Right now i'm at exactly 60 hours.....so maybe tonight will be better?

Comment

Tool box

bump

I am no sure if this is the right way to do bumping a topic but I found the urge surfing SO helpful

Comment

Tool box

Anon so much of this thread needs bumping let me help!
                          :bump:

A Work in Progress;455658 wrote: Urge surfing is an important and very helpful way to deal with cravings. Every urge, impulse, or craving has a natural progression. It starts at zero, and then suddenly we become aware that the wish, desire, craving, or impulse has arisen in our minds. It can continue to get stronger, once it has arisen. And, eventually, it will fade away (so long as we do not give in to it). This is ALWAYS true for any and every craving or impulse.

"In the depths of winter I finally learned there was in me an invincible summer ."
                          AF - JAN 1st 2010
                          NF - May 1996

Comment

Tool box

Finally found this thread and at a perfect time. I think I have finished the "Pink Cloud" phase, when quitting drinking is in it's honeymoon phase and everything is awesome. Now reality is kicking in and I really need to work on the urge surfing. I quit before for a long while and know how difficult it is. I started drinking regularly 3 years ago after 5 years AF, it turned into bingeing and I know how bad that is for our bodies.

Thanks for all the tips and I will be sure to come here lots, I am on the newcomers thread, but couldn't find this until I saw a link.

Comment

Tool box

51 Things You Should Know About Addiction Recovery

51 Things You Should Know About Addiction Recovery

Comment

Tool box

Hello, I found this thread after several recommendations.

The "urge surfing" is a great one. I will have to remember that one when my next urge strikes. And I know it will at some point. I too have gone AF for some time and then tried MODS off and on for 2 years. It just isn't worth the effort to me anymore and I always wind up drinking more than I should at some point. So, I'm going AF this time around.

Thanks for the great posts -- lots of wisdom on this thread!
                                Every day do something that will inch you closer to a better tomorrow.:h

Comment

Working...
                                X