Clear All

Tool box

Thanks - much needed for me right now.

Comment

Tool box

Thanks - much needed for me right now.

Comment

Tool box

Day one...this is exactly the inspiration I need! Today, I wil develop my tool box by starting with a plan.

Comment

Tool box

Day one...this is exactly the inspiration I need! Today, I wil develop my tool box by starting with a plan.

Comment

Tool box

Good on ya Waterbug!!

You may want to post in the Just Starting Out section......that way you will get one to one support.
            "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
            NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Tool box

Good on ya Waterbug!!

You may want to post in the Just Starting Out section......that way you will get one to one support.
              "It's not your job to like me, it's mine!"

AF 10th May 2010
              NF 12th May 2010

Comment

Tool box

thanks Johnny!

Comment

Tool box

thanks Johnny!

Comment

Tool box

Very useful information from you.

hi,

A Work in Progress;468186 wrote:
                    What is a plan, and how do I get one???

I can't count how many times I have made the suggestion to new folks here to "get a plan" for their recovery from alcohol abuse. The old phrase: "failing to plan is planning to fail" is very true in so many situations... and especially so in the case of those of us who are beginning (and continuing) the path of freedom from the devastation of alcohol abuse.

SO: What is a plan, and how do I get one?

The MWO book, and what we call the MWO program, discuss and recommend a number of elements that have proven very helpful to many, many people who have used them. They include (and I have added a few, based on my own experience and that of many MWO members):
                    • Exercise (doesn't have to be a whole lot; some brisk walking, 3 or 4 days a week, is helpful)
                    • Hypnotherapy (you can buy the recordings on the MWO site in the "store")
                    • Meditation (many of us practice meditation)
                    • Dietary supplements (see the MWO book, the "store" here onsite, and the threads here on "Holistic Healing")
                    • A healthy diet, and regular mealsMedication (preferably with help, advice, and a prescription from your physician)Spending a significant amount of time here at MWO, reading the posts of others, getting to know people, asking questions, and talking about your progress and your strugglesGoing to AA meetingsChanging our environment: Getting alcohol out of the house; not going to bars; not hanging around with "drinking buddies"
                    Most people do not use ALL elements in this list; but those who are successful tend to use a LOT of them. And we tend to adjust and tweak the elements, as we see what works for us (and for others).

Equally important
                    is something we call the "mental game." This is short-hand for the process of changing our thinking and attitudes toward: alcohol, drinking, our emotions, and our behavior. We must learn a whole new approach to problems in life (we don't try to drink them away, any more), and we don't see alcohol as a "reward" for having accomplished something. We learn to tolerate distress, including the urges and impulses and cravings for drink, and we allow them to naturally pass away, without giving in to them. We learn not to engage in battles within our minds about drinking; we step away from that whole process, and choose to think about, and do, something else.

Perhaps most important
                    : we recognize that the work of recovery truly is "work," and it takes time, effort, and sometimes it costs money. Sometimes it is costly in other ways, as well; friendships and other close relationships will be changed, when we change. And that can be painful. Making this kind of change will have an impact on all areas of our lives; that is a very, very good thing; it can also be accompanied by some pain. Again... we must learn to tolerate the discomforts involved in life changes. There will be some emotional upheaval along the way. We might want to seek counseling or psychotherapy; we certainly will benefit from coming here and talking about it.

Making a plan, and following it
                    , is an act of mature recognition of the fact that, for nearly all of us, just wishing and hoping that we will stop drinking (or begin drinking "normally") "on our own" is not going to work. Remember: nobody ever "wished and hoped" their way through any important project. But with persistence, and support from others, following a plan can take us to the places in our lives where we really want to go.

wip
                    If nature gives us lemon, we have a choice: either to cry or make lemonade.

Comment

Tool box

Very useful information from you.

hi,

A Work in Progress;468186 wrote:
                      What is a plan, and how do I get one???

I can't count how many times I have made the suggestion to new folks here to "get a plan" for their recovery from alcohol abuse. The old phrase: "failing to plan is planning to fail" is very true in so many situations... and especially so in the case of those of us who are beginning (and continuing) the path of freedom from the devastation of alcohol abuse.

SO: What is a plan, and how do I get one?

The MWO book, and what we call the MWO program, discuss and recommend a number of elements that have proven very helpful to many, many people who have used them. They include (and I have added a few, based on my own experience and that of many MWO members):
                      • Exercise (doesn't have to be a whole lot; some brisk walking, 3 or 4 days a week, is helpful)
                      • Hypnotherapy (you can buy the recordings on the MWO site in the "store")
                      • Meditation (many of us practice meditation)
                      • Dietary supplements (see the MWO book, the "store" here onsite, and the threads here on "Holistic Healing")
                      • A healthy diet, and regular mealsMedication (preferably with help, advice, and a prescription from your physician)Spending a significant amount of time here at MWO, reading the posts of others, getting to know people, asking questions, and talking about your progress and your strugglesGoing to AA meetingsChanging our environment: Getting alcohol out of the house; not going to bars; not hanging around with "drinking buddies"
                      Most people do not use ALL elements in this list; but those who are successful tend to use a LOT of them. And we tend to adjust and tweak the elements, as we see what works for us (and for others).

Equally important
                      is something we call the "mental game." This is short-hand for the process of changing our thinking and attitudes toward: alcohol, drinking, our emotions, and our behavior. We must learn a whole new approach to problems in life (we don't try to drink them away, any more), and we don't see alcohol as a "reward" for having accomplished something. We learn to tolerate distress, including the urges and impulses and cravings for drink, and we allow them to naturally pass away, without giving in to them. We learn not to engage in battles within our minds about drinking; we step away from that whole process, and choose to think about, and do, something else.

Perhaps most important
                      : we recognize that the work of recovery truly is "work," and it takes time, effort, and sometimes it costs money. Sometimes it is costly in other ways, as well; friendships and other close relationships will be changed, when we change. And that can be painful. Making this kind of change will have an impact on all areas of our lives; that is a very, very good thing; it can also be accompanied by some pain. Again... we must learn to tolerate the discomforts involved in life changes. There will be some emotional upheaval along the way. We might want to seek counseling or psychotherapy; we certainly will benefit from coming here and talking about it.

Making a plan, and following it
                      , is an act of mature recognition of the fact that, for nearly all of us, just wishing and hoping that we will stop drinking (or begin drinking "normally") "on our own" is not going to work. Remember: nobody ever "wished and hoped" their way through any important project. But with persistence, and support from others, following a plan can take us to the places in our lives where we really want to go.

wip

Comment

Tool box

Very useful information thank you for your time and contribution...Kota

Comment

Tool box

Very useful information thank you for your time and contribution...Kota

Comment

Tool box

THANK YOU ALL....FINALLY A PLACE WHERE I CAN BE REAL

:new:

I really needed to be able to talk to someone and to know that I am not alone. I look forward to spending friday evening with you all instead of by myself with a drink or two or ten! How thoughtful and brilliant you all are!

Does anybody know how long it will be before my brain and liver are back?!?

Comment

Tool box

THANK YOU ALL....FINALLY A PLACE WHERE I CAN BE REAL

:new:

I really needed to be able to talk to someone and to know that I am not alone. I look forward to spending friday evening with you all instead of by myself with a drink or two or ten! How thoughtful and brilliant you all are!

Does anybody know how long it will be before my brain and liver are back?!?

Comment

Tool box

where r you based????

I also would like to share my history but don,t know where do you live? M in London. ..

Comment

Working...
                                X