No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kensho i dont think about drinking now and it is so damn good. Not saying it doesnt pop up but the more time away from al the easier it gets. Think of that al voice as an annoying toddler wanting you to give in. I never gave in to my toddlers when they went on and on and on and i had the same mindset with al. I refused to give into that voice.
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks AVA. I'm going to bed. What time zone is the clock on this site? Just wondering.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Interesting clip of Matthew Perry arguing with Peter Hitchens. Hitchens is one of those many regrettable fools who think that alcoholism is a matter of choice. Perry has the best line of the night when he says, talking about free choice, the only choice I can control is that first drink. Well said!
        Who knows better about an issue: an individual who has lived the experience and has tons of scientific evidence to back him up or an individual who has neither? Hear Matthew Perry — aka Chandler from "Friends" — debate drug addiction with a journalist who has the polar-opposite opinion from him. My favorite part is at 9:24, when Perry completely exudes Chandler as he says, "You're making a point as ludicrous as saying Peter Pan was real."This is so worth the watch.
        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Hi everyone, back again. It's been a while and I've come to realize I can't do this alone. I need daily support from those with the same problem as me. Hope you all are well. Momof3

Comment

GMAE everyone. Great clip TJAF…control is the key. Welcome back MO3. I’ve heard it said that when you dance with a gorilla, it’s the gorilla that decides when to stop (not sure why anyone gets involved in such things, but who am I to judge?). Anyway, AL is that gorilla and it’s a beast. It doesn’t want you to stop, it likes the control. It’s going to take strength and persistence like nothing else ever in your life. It’s an ongoing almost relentless series of small decisions that leads to small victories, which add up to larger rewards. Reward yourself each time you say no, for each mini victory. Make that gorilla give up its control, and not the other way around.

Stay strong and AF
            “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

I think that is the best analogy I have read about it. You are so right, so many little tiny decisions constantly which have to be made that add up to big ones. I'm hanging my head today, I feel a little beaten. This is so tiring. I want to get to the point where I don't have to struggle and fight with it, but I know it's going to be a daily struggle to get there. Nice to talk to you again STL. ((hugs))

Comment

Hi MO3! I thought about you last night - wondered where you were. Glad to see you. Pick yourself up and begin again.
                Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Thank you Kensho, I will be picking myself up and starting all over again. Just watched the Matthew Perry clip, and this is the only choice we have. Picking up that first drink, because after that I have no control either. Time to get to work on myself and get to a better state of mind and body.

Comment

Good morning Nesters!

Another day with no sunshine in my portion of the nest, oh well.
                    I'm watching my grandson for a few hours. He is one busy 3 1/2 year old. I couldn't imagine doing this with a hang over

Welcome back Mo3! Get your plan revised & commit yourself to an AF life - you won't be sorry, I promise!!!!

Greetings to everyone dropping by today. Have a great AF Wednesday everyone!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hello M03! We are all in this together for sure. I am posting more everywhere on this site. I need ALL the help I can get.
                      The Gloamers thread helped me TONS! I can't even express how much they helped me. This is the longest run I have had staying AF, except when I was pregnant.

TJAF, thanks for the link. I love stuff like that.
                      I started reading the book 'Parched' yesterday by Heather King. So far it is really good.

I will check in later!
                      Glad to be sober.
                      Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                      "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Your not alone KENSHO, I remembering hearing our reading something from AA literature about the "Phenomenon of cravings" that we as alcoholics are so lucky to have:sad:...
                        Here are some I found interesting..

The body of an alcoholic process the alcohol at about one-third the rate of a non alcoholic.* This slower process for the alcoholic triggers a craving that does not happen for the non alcoholic.**For the alcoholic, the first drink has barely processed before they take a second drink which makes them want to drink much more than the non alcoholic so they have another.* This cycle usually continues till the alcoholic looses all control…… Essentially, once the alcoholic takes that first drink, he no longer has a choice on the other drinks……. That is the*phenomenonof craving.* And this*phenomenon*will never change unless one can experience a complete psychic change!
                        __________________________________________________ __
                        The Doctor's Opinion puts it this way:

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks - drinks which they see others taking with impunity (which means freedom from problems). After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery."

Stay Hard my friends!
                        AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Thank you for taking the time STL. This HAS to be my priority. I appreciate all of you very much.

Comment

Awesome Rivergal- I wish you the best. Take it step by step and fight every battle because each time you say no to AL, you are winning points in the war. Matt M. - Spot on post earlier - in your immortal words "I 100% can not do this alone" (sorry if that is not word for word, working from memory). I remember that as it hits home for all of us...we all have been through or seen tough times with AL...let's work together to kick its ass...
                            “Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness”- Desmond Tutu

STL

Comment

You are right on( close anyway) STL, you always have great advice and wisdom..

My immortal words( kinda catchy?)
                              There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself!
                              AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

And That is why we are all here Matt M
                                We support one another & ourselves in the process!

Hang in there Rivergal. You can do this - lots of us have

STL, you sound good, I am happy for you.

Still raining out & I hear it's going to continue all day tomorrow too ~ swell. I can't even begin to tell you what 26 wet chickens smell like, LOL.
                                Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09
                                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Working...
                                X