No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IntheSky! 7 days gets you a prize around here!
    Nesters, are you in position? Ready, set, drop em!
    :butt::butt::butt:

Well done! You've conquered every day a week can throw at you! How right you are, if we all could just stop at the one drink, we wouldnt have sought out an online forum. I wish you were close enough to hug!

I was reading around the boards the other day, Sky, and the person wrote, 'as soon as the holidays are over, I plan to get in some AF time'. That was the story of my life for years. Notice that my date is Jan 20, 2011. I had INTENDED to quit when I got here in 2010 (having lurked for months). Then, I intended to quit Jan 1, 2010. I kept setting dates after that, even the following Jan 1. It didnt happen. I kept finding excuses to put it off, until I didnt have a choice and was faced with an ultimatum. The person who said that has also been around for years and yet still finding reasons to drink. Totally writing off the holidays as a time to quit, more time wasted. I am incredibly proud of you for protecting your 7 days, you understand there is no time like right now to get off that hamster wheel. Next year this time, you will be more confident than ever (having been thru the holidays AF before!). Well done! Byrdie
    All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
    Tool Box
    Newbie's Nest

Comment

MAE All,
      Checking in on this Sunday. Hopefully everyone is doing well. I have to say, it's hard to see and hear people drinking and being merry at this time of year. It's all over Facebook, tv, and just everywhere. I'm trying to remember those times, and that they always started in a merry way but never ended that way. That's what I need to remind myself of when I see all of that.

Have a good day.
      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

:welldone: Inthesky! 7 days is brilliant! Kenso, way to find the strength.. I am in awe. I've taken myself off any... and all social stuff.. except X-mas day, and this Christmas concert that I forgot my daughter is in on Thursday. That is in a church,,, and at 10am. So I at least won't see any wine glasses.. I'm having that Christmas cheer think going on in the background of my mind too Jvo.

Byrdie, yes, it is that muscle memory that is there for sure! and got me on a plane to boot! I once stuck a full glass of wine in my purse because it was closing time and they were kicking us out of the bar after last call. It was one of those wine glasses that don't have a stem. When I got to the car, (I wasn't driving) I pulled it out and my date.. (this was years ago) was really impressed. I had most of it. But some of it spilled on my phone and ruined it. Luckily it wasn't the phone I have now! That phone cost more then my first car.

I'm on day 4 now, mood is much better. I've been thinking a TON.. about things. And my goal this fine day 4 is not to overwhelm myself. And to just put sobriety first no madder what... If that means eating a box of doughnuts.. snapping at my kid.. not showing up, being a flake, dropping the ball... so be it. Those are all goals too, but not as important to reaching this first one... Second close in line is not snapping at my kid. I think where I got derailed (just using a word that is as p.c. as I can think of) is because after my 30 days.. I thought.. ok great! Now I can start trying to do all the other things I was trying to do where drinking got in the way..

The big one being loosing the weight that I'd put on due to drinking... So I was back on this diet that I know works.. It's basically just eating really clean.. no processed food.. no sugar.. etc.. And makes me feel great.. Only... I wasn't ready. And.. I knew better then to drive in rush hour, and take a 3 year old to a specialty tea shop... I guess my point is I was trying to do too much. I complicated things and my physical addiction was fine. But my mental one just kicked right in. The mental one is the really tricky one. I even had help with a MWO friend in a private message... which I responded to..

I'm thinking these are all positive steps for me to have actually been checking in here, and with a PM message... while in the middle of a strong craving. That is new progress for me. Normally I would have got my brain to a place where everything here is just blah, I don't care... this is my addiction screaming. I was addicted to smoking for 20 years. I found that harder to quit.. but the other day it was that strong of a pull as nicotine... tunnel vision kind of thinking.

I also see where I need to strengthen my arsenal. I am, unless I change my mind going to an AA meeting at 12:30.. unless I change my mind. Which I am allowing myself to do if I want. Alright this is getting too long of a post!
        Last edited by Choices; December 13, 2015, 03:48 PM.
        AF January 7, 2018

Comment

10:30 here, and I am going to give AA a miss. Just watching movies and cleaning the house, really, really slow.. Feeling peaceful and just kinda want to take advantage of the quiet house I have at the moment. . I'm hooked into the AA site though.. and can see where I can go to meetings all over the city at lots of different times.
          AF January 7, 2018

Comment

I think you're right to just put everything else on the back burner, Choices, for however long you need to. Even if you mess up your diet! Don't restrict yourself in two many areas right now.
            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Hi all,

I had a hot potato moment and wrote about it over on the Dedicated to the Quit thread. I feel like I started sweating as this beautiful sugar rimmed champagne glass was handed to me by the hostess insisting I taste this "fabulous punch" that we know was made with white wine and/or champagne. My drink of choice too! The thoughts whirled a thousand times in that instant, even the curiousity to have a taste, but I knew that would just open Pandora's box and that taste would be a desire for more and there my almost 5 month quit would be down the toilet. I couldn't get rid of that drink fast enough! I did remember you in that moment Byrdie, and your post about that drink handed to you a while back being like a hot potato. Indeed it was.

~Addy
              "Control your destiny or somebody else will" ~Jack Welsh~

God didn't give you the strength to get back on your feet, so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down.

But that was yesterday, and I was a different person then. ~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Awesome work avoiding those 'hot potatoes' everyone

CONGRATS on 7 AF days Inthesky :welldone:

I had a great day out with family & the beautifiul weather was a plus for watching the Santa parade, ha ha!
                Grateful for my AF life!!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!!

Lav
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Supremely tired and going to bed, but wanted to check in.

I hear ya Choices - I think I have tried to do a bit too much lately too! Haven't meant to, just added the holiday stuff to the regular stuff and then added in the things I really want to do, and whamo - too much. And then I realize the things that mean the most to me are compromised. I made it to my dad's singing today though at his church - and it was quite an emotional experience for me. A mixture of pride, and of being in a positive spiritual environment, and realizing how much I admire and love my dad - and that I will not always have him. Cried his whole song!

Hugs to all tonight. Good work everyone.
                  Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

That sounds amazing. What wonderful thoughts of your father KENSHO. Yep, add the holiday stuff and whamo is what it is!!! We'll get there it's good to enjoy this time too. I have a feeling I'll be in tears at my daughters Christmas concert because she is not a baby anymore. Have a good night.
                    AF January 7, 2018

Comment

Checking in because it's been a weird day. Spent the evening at my parents and all my brothers and sisters were there, hasn't happened since last Xmas even though we all live 20 minutes apart. Lots of family drama to explain that, but tonight I at least got to talk small talk with my older brother, who is in recovery from alcohol as well. He congratulated me on 9 months and we laughed a little about the whole one day at a time thing. My brother in law and sister offered me some egg nog, and I had to ask if there was alcohol which of course there was. I used to love Pennsylvania Dutch egg nog while we did the tree, instead I drank tea and water. To be honest my daughter playing with cousins and my nieces chatting my ear off made me give zero &$@"s about drinking, I enjoyed the family get together. Although I inspired a lot of sobriety in my alcohol heavy family, by the end of the night after one crazy outburst and scream fest drinks were in many hands. Still, I think even just not drinking and showing them it doesn't make or break an evening and you don't have to be an out and out drunk to benefit from quitting is good.

Work is going to be challenging this week. I am on my own, my partner just won't be able to handle it this week, which sucks because I can only help by keeping the doors open. Can't seem to help him. The important thing is staying relaxed, not getting too uptight. Meditating which I will do before I sleep here. Need to stay upbeat, and juiced about making more money and keeping the enthusiasm up at work. I need to go to grappling in the am, pick up my wife's Christmas gift after that and get some work done for my school before my regular day even starts. It's going to be my last week before the holiday break for me, if I can make it through without drinking to Saturday I know I am good till 2016.

Comment

I'm really sick rite now! Jesus the vomiting will it ever stop? I'm so over it!!

Comment

Originally posted by Gilf View Post
                          I'm really sick rite now! Jesus the vomiting will it ever stop? I'm so over it!!
                          Yes it will stop when your brain stops trying to save you from toxic death from alcohol poisoning. Then you will start to go into alcohol withdrawal. This will be when you have to choose....drink more alcohol to stop withdrawal, or sober up.

That is the pivotal point tomorrow. Your life, your decision. I hope you choose life.

Comment

I hope so too! Can't do this any more �� How did it all get so out of control? I'm so ashamed of myself in this moment. Hopefully today is the day.

Comment

Originally posted by Gilf View Post
                              I hope so too! Can't do this any more �� How did it all get so out of control? I'm so ashamed of myself in this moment. Hopefully today is the day.
                              Right now you may be drunk, tomorrow you will be hungover. There will be a brief break where you have to believe us when we tell you that you can now choose sober.

Once you start to choose sober healing can begin. It is a process but you have to take it one step at a time.

I hope you are here tomorrow.

Comment

I hope so! Nothing about this feeling is worth it. I've got to change

Comment

Working...
                                X