No announcement yet.

Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That was a great post Byrdie......brought me back to earth!
    I have had thoughts of drinking all day.....not a craving but a kind of thinking that I recognise from before.....where the relapse starts!
    I had no intention of taking a drink and my circumstances right now don't allow me to drink when I want because of responsibilities.....but....I can feel the planning in my head and don't want it to be there.
    IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
    Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Hang in there Daisy.

I remember someone here saying not giving in to such thoughts means we are building sober muscles and forging new strong AF neural pathways in our brain. Watch a movie? A painting forum? Reading?

Kensho. Thanks for your request. Will do at some stage. Will an instrumental guitar piece cut it?

Have a rippa out there y'all.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by dejafoo345 View Post
        Hello all,

For those of you who hit 30 days, 90 days, etc. what were some of your best resources and/or advice that helped you stay strong?

Thanks!
        Hi Deja. Welcome and congratulations on 2 days off the booze! That is huge.

Since you ask, here is something i posted a few days ago which might be relevant to your question. Knowledge is power.

'Finding out what my triggers are after some inward searching has helped me big time. I haven't always been successful in thwarting their progress, but i am much better equipped to deal with them when they arise. If i know what they are, and if i can see them coming, i can take action and head them off at the pass. And we always have our posse here to bounce off'.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Hello & welcome Dejafoo! Glad you decided to join us here in the nest. Make yourself comfortable & stay as long as you like. You will find tons of great ideas for your plan in our fabulous Tool box, take a look through. Great job on your 2 AF days

Daisy, make the right choice. Don't let your mind wander into dangerous territory. Keep yourself & distracted. most of all, keep yourself connected here.

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hiya Dejafoo! Welcome. Byrdlady said it - lots of good stuff there. I might add to HAVE FAITH - in what the successful people here tell you. Believe when they say that it WILL get better, and you WILL be able to handle it, and you CAN DO THIS. Cravings get less strong and more infrequent, and we eventually become the people we are meant to be when we don't drink - good, honest, whole, real people. If you stick it out, and lean on friendly faces here, you truly can change your life

GMAN - guitar solo is my fav. Do you plan acoustic or electric? What style? I'm a fan of folksy stuff, but I appreciate most guitar in general. My dad used to play for me when I was a little girl, and I've grown up believing it a magical instrument!

Have a good night here - pull up a twig and nestle in for a rest. We all deserve a rest and a little kindness.
            Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good morning!
              Sitting at the gate waiting for our flight back home. It has been a wonderdul trip! Like Lucky Charms, magically delicious!
              I will say this again, I cant tell you how grateful I am that I let go of AL. I had no pull and traveling is so mch easier. I know it isnt easy and there are flat spots along the way, but if you hang in there, you will be so glad you did. Drinking isnt what it's cracked up to be. Byrdie
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Morning all......2 school runs done and it was freezing! We are bouncing from Spring to Winter here. Beautiful sunny days with sleet showers.
                Not happy right now at where my thinking is taking me......I am distracted, have lots to do. It is not an urge to drink right now. I feel it is looking forward to that drink in the future, if you know what I mean. This would then point out to me that I haven't fully accepted that I will not drink. I don't want to feel this way....I want to feel as strong in my commitment as I do when I am desperate.

Comment

Evening Nesters

I watched Louis Theroux's doco on alcoholics and as i say now i count myself as a lucky one. Every bit of emotion they felt i had felt too. The helplessness and hopelessness of this addiction is so sad but so damn destructive. The wanting to be normal to have those one or two or the thought of whats the point, i cant give up drinking so i will just drink myself to death. Highly recommend a watch, its on youtube.

Daisy keep painting those rocks and breath. Dont worry about the future, focus on today. Dont think this is forever not drinking just think of it as today. The further we get away from al then the acceptance is truly there that we dont want to drink and wont. I just dont drink now and in the early days i never ever thought i could or would say that. As long as i got through another day without a drink it was a great day. I have now achieved what i thought was impossible to do and i plodded along day by day to get to now. Some days my commitment level was zero in the beginning but i just could not let anyone down again especially myself and deep down i knew i had had enough of the hell i was in. Think of all the great things that are happening in your life now and remember what al did for you. I fanatically watched movies and doco's on alcoholism and what would have happened if i kept drinking. Our bodies can only take so much the older we get and my health was deteriorating more than i thought possible as yours is also. I pulled every positive out of a day i could think of even if i thought it was a bad day. Changing my thinking was a huge part of letting al go, now i totally get how awful it is for society in general and us alkies.

Take care x
                  AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Thanks Ava....I needed that! Even you saying about my health brought me back with a bump........I have already started to convince myself that I am well and healthy, forgetting the fear of where those hungover days took me, not sure if I would get through another day, afraid to sleep in case I wasn't there for my kids in the morning.
                    Right, that's me back at it..... gonna kick some ass today. Can't thank you enough for that post Ava.

I also watched that doc last week.....scary! Saved your post for when I need a booster.
                    Last edited by daisy45; April 28, 2016, 05:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by daisy45 View Post
                      Thanks Ava....I needed that! Even you saying about my health brought me back with a bump........I have already started to convince myself that I am well and healthy, forgetting the fear of where those hungover days took me, not sure if I would get through another day, afraid to sleep in case I wasn't there for my kids in the morning.
                      Right, that's me back at it..... gonna kick some ass today. Can't thank you enough for that post Ava.

I also watched that doc last week.....scary! Saved your post for when I need a booster.
                      Hey...I forgot about the rock chick!!!!!!!!...you are well and healthy..and you know why?because you arent drinking ..so good for you ...!!
                      af since the fourth of July 2012...howzat then America..now proudly marching into year 12

Comment

Read a lot here, but stick to the nest, and commit yourself to the roll call. That actually helped me a lot.
                        Um, read Byrdie's posts and figure out who has been around a long time and take their posts seriously.

This site helped me kick this habit, so yeah ... it is possible!
                        (AF since 17 May 2014) 2 years 5 months sober

Comment

Good Thursday morning Nesters,

It's dark & damp here in my corner of the nest but that's OK.
                          Staying inside & getting caught up on work is not a bad thing, ha ha!

Have a safe trip home Byrdie

Daisy, always remember that YOU are in charge of your thoughts & feelings, not some substance in a bottle. Every time my thoughts wandered into dangerous territory I would take a second to redirect. Doing that for as long as it takes will help you meet your goals.

Hi there Ava, Mick & everyone.
                          Have a wonderful AF day!

Lav
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Good morning all and thanks for the kind words since I am SUCH a newbie. Today is day 3 and I am feeling much better than I have the last two days. I've been reading a lot on here as you've suggested while also doing the This Naked Mind audio workshop. It's helping me to work through how I felt before I started drinking versus after and why my thinking toward alcohol has changed. I'd highly recommend it to anyone who is interested. Other than that I am focusing on continuing to take it one day at a time and being inspired by your advice and commitment to staying AF. This weekend will be a big test for me, so I will continue to write in here every day and I've joined the roll call to help keep me more accountable!

Comment

Originally posted by KENSHO View Post
                              Hiya Dejafoo! Welcome. Byrdlady said it - lots of good stuff there. I might add to HAVE FAITH - in what the successful people here tell you. Believe when they say that it WILL get better, and you WILL be able to handle it, and you CAN DO THIS. Cravings get less strong and more infrequent, and we eventually become the people we are meant to be when we don't drink - good, honest, whole, real people. If you stick it out, and lean on friendly faces here, you truly can change your life

GMAN - guitar solo is my fav. Do you plan acoustic or electric? What style? I'm a fan of folksy stuff, but I appreciate most guitar in general. My dad used to play for me when I was a little girl, and I've grown up believing it a magical instrument!
                              And what about the mandolin? My true love...after many years of guitar...she's got a hold on me...
                              Achieved Goals: Getting Back to Working on This Project!
                              Goal In Progress...1 YEAR

Instructions on posting to Roll Call:

Go forward boldly and unafraid

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Still at work in my home based shop - see? A rainy day is not so bad afterall, ha ha!

Good job on your 3 AF days Deja!
                                Those first days were tge hardest & I'm never going to have to do tgem again

Hey Fin!

Wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest.

Lav
                                AF since 03/26/09
                                NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Working...
                                X