Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Lav - your adapted recipe sounds yummy and healthy!

Nar - haha I totally thought you meant snot, either *actual* snot or just weather stuff that has that look and consistency - so funny that it was just a typo (for snow I'm guessing?)!

Byrdie - are you able to take advantage of the CARES act unemployment benefits at all, or would that require trying to find a job and then proving there aren't any while everyone is closed down, or other hoop jumping?

Belle and NS - I definitely think it's helpful to sometimes remember the awful parts of how al made me feel - the hangovers, the headaches, the nausea, and the regret. It usually snaps me out of any slight temptation that comes my way. Honestly I'm not totally sure how I stay on the straight and narrow given how bad of a drinking problem I really had, but remembering how crappy al made me feel physically and emotionally are important (albeit now occasional) parts of success for me personally. Glad you steered clear of even mild temptation Belle, and NS sorry you felt so terrible after a bath but what a great kinesthetic reminder of how you never want to feel again.

Here we go with another week everyone. What will you do to make this a good one?
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Evening nesters

Well we are getting cold now, especially the mornings. I am loving working in bed for a couple of hours before i walk my 5 feet to work. My only issue is that carl wants to lay on me which makes it difficult at times.

Nar, your snot comment was hilarious.

How is your new machine Lav?

Belle, make sure you stay home, its not worth it and you obviously are a valued employee so stand your ground. I dont think i will be going into work anytime soon and thats fine by me.

NS, i hate that dizzy feeling when i get out of the bath, menopause seems to have heightened that so i steer clearn now.

I had to go with my daughter to get her tested today, she woke with a sore throat and hot and colds. now we have to get tested religiously so off we went. i would say it is nothing but best to be sure. I now have her staying with me for a few days, she doesnt handle sick very well, i always tell her she gets man flu. I wont be going to see mum this weekend though.

Nothing else to report, glad everyone is keeping well and safe.

take care xx
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good Morning:

Thankfully, no snot on the ground here. Although it did rain yesterday which is unusual for this time of year.

Belle - I hear you. We have a system of rotating through our office so people can get done what they need to do, using the equipment they need, and then clean it in between. Maybe you could work something like that out? Glad to hear you're getting into the swing of sobriety again. Really, who would want to go back there? Occasionally I want to go where that first drink would take me - just so I can step outside of my feelings for a minute, but there are much healthier options at my fingertips.

Julia - How's it going? Pauly?

We are having some layoffs in my organization. Very scary for people already on the edge of being able to pay rent, etc. And very sad to lose valuable team members. I know others have already been through this, but I guess it is my turn. Very sad and discouraging. I am not going to any baby shower soon, though. I was thinking about your niece wanting YOU (immuno-compromised) to go to a baby shower. That does sound very selfish. I know we're all trying to pretend this isn't happening, but maybe by July she'll come to her senses...

Happy SOBER Tuesday (it IS Tuesday now, Lav).

xo
        Pav

Comment

Greetings Nesters,

Yes Pav it absolutely is tuesday now
          Sorry about the job anxiety, I do know a lot of people going thru that now. All we can do is take it one day at a time & just do the best we can :hug:

Ava, the new machine is awesome, very happy with my purchase.
          I hope your daughter is OK, scary times. Good choice to hold the visit to your Mom right now, for saftey’s sake.

Wags, I have to alter a perfectly good recipe to suit my needs but I have a good bit of practice now. Practice makes perfect, right?
          I am going to do the same thing I did last week ~ a little of this & a little of that inculding more mask making for those who need them.

Byrdie, taking care of yourself is your first priority! Don’t let anyone guilt you into doing something that could result in devastation for many. It just wouldn’t make sense to throw any party right now. We’re all behind you with much love!

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
          AF since 03/26/09
          NF since 05/19/09
          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Quiet day in the nest. I hope you're all ok.

Today I am grateful for being sober in a pandemic. The alternative is unthinkable.

Pav

Comment

Happy Un Hung Wednesday everyone- I had to check that it was Wednesday, my days are getting mixed up.

I hope your daughter is ok Ava, its funny that she gets a 'man cold'. My husband really gets man colds, everyone avoids him when he is sick. Good idea on not seeing your mom.
              I will see my mom today because my son and I are painting her fence. She has had high BP lately and it has been worrying. We almost ended up in emergency the other night but were able to get her BP under control.

We are talking about opening up slowly starting tomorrow. My daughter is supposed to work this weekend at her restaurant job, hopefully things go well. She is worried about it (so am I).

Pav, layoffs suck. I have been laid off 4 times in the past 5 years and the last time was the worst. I am hoping to get a job outside of the oil patch the next time and hopefully that will be better. Hang in there, you will get through this!

Have a good one everybody.
              Hope you are ok Julia.

Beautiful day here (no snot on the ground,haha)

Don't drink today.
              Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
              "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Hey all!
                Wags, since I resigned from that last job, I am not entitled to that bucket of unemployment funds. Ugg, wish I had a do-over on that whole thing. 2020 has been one for the books.
                It feels like we are living in a never ending day....an infinite ‘today’. One day rolls into the next without much delineation. Realizing that good health is such a blessing, I am practicing gratitude as hard as I can. It’s difficult to think of the future, we can’t really make plans or look forward to a vacation or celebrations of any sort. It’s an endless today. What a weird time in history. For those of us who love having a Plan, it’s difficult NOT to have a roadmap of any sort. I know that next year this time, we’ll be in a totally different place. I wonder if my late Mom’s offer to slap me into the middle of next year is still on the table?
                I found some hair color under the sink and gave it a test on a hidden patch of hair. Good thing, too, I now have an ORANGE patch of hair. When I was a kid, it seemed everyone that worked in our Woolworth’s had orange hair, I’m not sure how I came to have this bottle of hair color, but I immediately pitched it so I won’t do this again. Beware, golden chestnut = orange. Since I’m not an Orangutan, that wasn’t the look I was going for.
                All I know to do is to is rinse and repeat. Whatever I did yesterday worked so it should work again today.
                Being sober is job #1! Stay the course, all! We got this! Byrdie
                All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                Tool Box
                Newbie's Nest

Comment

Greetings Nesters!

So it’s Wednesday huh? OK, I’ll take y our word for it, haha!! Pretty nice here, sunny & warming up a bit.

Pav, I am also grateful to be in control at this time more than any other time. I can’t imagine trying to sneak around looking for open booze stores, ugh. Hope your day was good

Narilly, I hope something in the job market opens for you soon. Good to hear your restaurants are opening, hope your daughter & everyone stays safe!

Byrdie, it truly has been a 2 month long day, I agree. We have no choice but to wait it out. About your hair....sounds like maybe your hair color had some peroxide in it? That can cause orangness, LOL
                  I put my mask on & walked straight into the drug store & bought a fresh box of haircolr this week. I was the only one in the store, it was totally safe. Now if I could find someone to cut all this hair I’d be a real happy camper

Hello to all & wishing everyone a safe & comfy night in the nest!

Lav
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Nar - glad you and your son were able to go help your mom. At first I thought it said you were going to paint her face! (I'm tired). I hope you're able to find a job relatively soon (when it's safe and you feel ready) that isn't as likely to have a layoff. I'll be curious to hear how things go for your daughter as the restaurant opens later this week.

Byrdie - that's right, I forgot you resigned. Well, at least you don't have a head full of orange hair! What you said about people who like to plan really struck me - it's hard to plan much right now, although possibly getting easier on a few fronts. As someone who isn't much of a planner, I've found the opposite to be true - that the pandemic and shut downs require me to plan much farther ahead for little things like grocery shopping when that's not my go-to strategy in life. I guess we're all being challenged in some ways and hopefully all are using our strengths to cope in others.

Lav - you and me both on needing a haircut!

Hellos and waves to everyone passing through the nest today. The month-long days are flying by, while the minutes last for hours. I think there's a country music song in here somewhere.
                    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Hi, All:

I face timed with some cousins last night (brothers who are together). They both looked SO shaggy - I guess they haven't attempted home haircuts yet. I was wondering, then, I how look?? (Although I do stare at myself everyday at zoom, sometimes that means I can't see the changes over time). It was so great to hear from them. We were supposed to be visiting them next month - I guess not now...

Nar, yes, I can't believe the number of times you've been laid off. I hope you can find something in this job climate.

My son's college just announced they'll be online in the fall - he's going to take a semester off if that holds true - he's done with staring at a computer all day every day.

Byrdie - I hear you. That gratitude practice is a little harder and takes a little longer these days. I guess that's what it is here for. So few people have been sick in my area that we're thinking we'll get it during the second wave. We'll see.

Happy SOBER Thursday??

Pauly, I miss cross-posting with you. I hope you're well.

Pav

Comment

Hapy Un Hung Thursday!
                        Orange hair sounds good Byrdie, lol. Nobody can see you anyway. Crazy times for sure.

Wags, yeah painting my mom's face, funny. At least there was no snot on the fence...Boy we can sure get into trouble with spelling mistakes.

We are delaying opening in our City and another city in Alberta because the virus numbers are still too high. No restaurants and no salons are opening until tentatively May 25th. Retail is open today though.

I am going to have a coffee and sit in the sun on my deck. (Favourite part of my day)

Have a good one everybody and don't drink today.
                        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

[MENTION=1354]narilly[/MENTION], I make some weird spelling mistakes but the worst is when Siri misunderstands me. I tend to dictate my messages into my phone (apparently I mumble!) and a couple years ago, I managed to send a message to our son-in-law that 'we were having sex on top of the car' :egad:

Comment

Good evening Netsers,

NS, I think we’re going to need a picture of that HAHA!!!
                            I’ll think twice before dictaing my messages, geez. Like you, I haven’t been bored yet. I always have tons of stuff to do here & if all else fails I can always go out & have a chat with the chickens, Lol

Narilly, having coffee alone on the deck in the sun sounds like paradise

Pav, sounds like all of the colleges will be online for the fall semester. Don’t know if I mentioned that my granddaughter’s elementary school is considering (possibly) having the kids in class two days/week then having them do the rest of teh week online like they’re doing now. They are talking about bringing half the kids in at a time so the classes will be much smaller. We’ll see what they actually end up doing.
                            Your son will have a lot of company doing online classes.

Wags, I got out of the shower this morning & thought it won’t be long before I can pull my hair into a ponytail. I don’t want a ponytail at my age, haha!! I will just have to wait for the hair shops to reopen.

Hello to the rest of the group & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest for all. For some strange reason we will be having 80+ degree humid wetaher tomorrow. We’ve had to cover our strawberry bed to prevent it from freezing two nights ago. Crazy!!!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09

Comment

Autocorrect is my worst enema.
                              People are coming to the beach in droves, so here we go. It’s supposed to be a beautiful weekend. I hope people bring their own toilet paper and meat, because our stores are out. Ugg. I’ll take Anxiety for $600, Alex.
                              As soon as my new hair color gets in, Ima fix mt orange spot. I’m also going to see if hubs will help me do the back. He is not very nimble, so wish me luck.
                              Yes, I can’t imagine trying to navigate addiction on top of all this. I’ll add that to my gratitude list! Interesting that liquor stores were considered essential businesses. They certainly were for me. Those weren’t the days.
                              Profound statement, Wags, “The month-long days are flying by, while the minutes last for hours”
                              Stay safe and sober, everyone! I promise, it’s worth it! Byrdie
                              Last edited by Byrdlady; May 14, 2020, 06:32 PM.
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Evening nesters

Its always a highlight to log on and see how everyone is and we are all safe and staying sane.

My daughter is fine now, test negative, back in 6 hours and man flu gone. She is back at work a couple of days a week hairdressing so that is good but people dont really want to go out. I think people are either fanatically going out and about or being very careful. I am in the careful category.

I am starting to love being home, the introvert in me is coming out and thats a good and bad thing. I now cant be bothered going into work but i have to on Monday. Today i was going to Aldi before the Saturday rush but went to give plasma and ended up with really low blood pressure and on oxygen. I didnt pass out though so that was a bonus. I will give it another go in a few weeks and if the same thing happens then i am not allowed to give plasma only blood. I just want to feel as if i am contributing to this mad world in a way that is safe.

We are getting more cases each day in Victoria. The government wants to open everything up and says it will be slowly but not slow enough for me. Only time will tell.

Glad your mum is ok Nar, its scary in this climate and we just hope they stay well. I am going to visit mum next weekend and stay overnight, hopefully we all stay well in the meantime.

Work is getting busier, more people allowed in for elective admissions so that is keeping me occupied.

Lav, glad you are having fun with your new machine, i can send my daughter over to give you a cut but our borders are closed!

time to feed the dogs and watch the news for the day. Take care and be safe xx
                                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Working...
                                X