Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good Wednesday:

Nar - that is very sad to hear the story of your classmate. Stories like that remind me to stay vigilant. I have a relative who did nerve damage to himself from drinking, and I always consider myself lucky that I was able to find my way out before it got too far.

Matt - great to hear from you. I get the pity party and the beer and the pubs. I know it doesn't do much good to have a pity party, but certainly that is part of the mythology of a trip to Scotland. Other parts of the mythology, however, are the green hills, the old cities, and the lovely people. I know you'll be fine. I got to go when I was younger. We were on a coastal town looking for a B&B (pre Internet) and asked around. One guy said he saw people with suitcases coming out of a particular house, so we knocked on the door. It turned out that the suitcases belonged to the lady's relatives who were staying with her, but we started chatting and next thing we knew she was offering us a place to stay for the night! Mostly I remember that she had thick cotton sheets which she heated with a hot water bottle before we went to bed. Telling that story brought back many non drinking memories of Scotland! I love traveling - you'll have such a great time. I follow Ryan Hampton on Facebook - he posts people telling their recovery stories. One recent one was a 9/11 first responder who, once he got sober, talked about working on the underlying feelings he was having that he felt he was trying to cover by drinking. I know with your job you see a lot. It is great that you're taking care of yourself.

Byrdie - sorry about your cancel, but you'll get home earlier??

Happy Hump Day, All. I am facing a really challenging three days at work, and then some respite from the craziness for a while. I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
      I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...
      I know you can, I know you can... YOU DID! (Hope things go more smoothly than expected, Pav :hug.

Comment

NS, I could not have said it better myself. Pav, I know you can, I know you can...

Wags, yes, scary about my classmate. I look at him and think I am so lucky not to have gone down that path. AL is not my friend and it almost ruined my life.

Matt, I don't know much about Scotland but I know they like to drink a lot. Like Pav says, Scotland is beautiful and there is so much more to it than drinking. Pav, the story you told about Scotland was really cool. It is such a blessing to have a sober holiday and not come home filled with regret. Matt, you can do it! Enjoy Scotland.

It is another sober day here for me and I am off for lunch with my MIL, SIL and hubby. It is a beautiful day here +28C, I am grateful to be healthy and sober.
        xo
        Don't drink today.
        Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
        "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

No boozing here for this pilgrim Narilly!

day 4. Big wave to everyone. Safe travels Matt. yo!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
            Matt - great to hear from you. I get the pity party and the beer and the pubs. I know it doesn't do much good to have a pity party, but certainly that is part of the mythology of a trip to Scotland. Other parts of the mythology, however, are the green hills, the old cities, and the lovely people. I know you'll be fine. I got to go when I was younger. We were on a coastal town looking for a B&B (pre Internet) and asked around. One guy said he saw people with suitcases coming out of a particular house, so we knocked on the door. It turned out that the suitcases belonged to the lady's relatives who were staying with her, but we started chatting and next thing we knew she was offering us a place to stay for the night! Mostly I remember that she had thick cotton sheets which she heated with a hot water bottle before we went to bed. Telling that story brought back many non drinking memories of Scotland! I love traveling - you'll have such a great time. I follow Ryan Hampton on Facebook - he posts people telling their recovery stories. One recent one was a 9/11 first responder who, once he got sober, talked about working on the underlying feelings he was having that he felt he was trying to cover by drinking. I know with your job you see a lot. It is great that you're taking care of yourself
            Pav
            Pav
            Thank you!
            What a wonderful post to me!
            I will look up Ryan Hampton, I really appreciate it!
            AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Thanks all for the well wishes - I tried to reply too everyone individually, but the internet is not cooperating
              AF 08~05~2014

There is a 100% chance I can't do this by myself! ~ Me

Comment

Sober Wednesday for me on Day 10. Safe travels everyone!

Comment

Way to go Susie!
                  Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Matt, I know you are already enjoying your trip - the smile on your face said it all
                    Relax & enjoy & most of all, come home with happy memories & no regrets!

Narilly, that was a sad story about your old friend. Some of our high school friends are dead & gone due to AL & drug use. Such a waste of life & we can see that clearly now.

Susie, very nice on your 10 AF days!
                    G, keep 'em going fella!!

Pav, I hope your week is easy on you.

Byrdie, travel safely now

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Originally posted by wagmor View Post
                      TJAF - I'm a July Quitter too!! I didn't have a Mem-day specific event that pushed me (more like NYE if I recall correctly) but I'm grateful that I finally made the leap to an AF life last July. Coming up on a big one-year anniversary here. I've lost track - whereabouts are you in your
                      4 years this July Wags! Congratulations on your first year that's incredible!
                      Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Matt, have a great trip. Mrs. TJ is a big fan of Outlander and Scotland is very much on out bucket list.
                        I read back a week and some of the posts reminded me of my early days on MWO. Also reminds me of what has kept me free of booze for 4 years. I'm ok with being around booze but I always keep a mental image of waking up after a hard night drinking as a reminder that there is no romance about drinking. I also visualize what is sure to happen with one drink. I lack a cut off switch and so I never visualize just one drink, it's always the thought of the next one. I also insist on the notion that there is no going back. I once posted that my biggest fear isn't not drinking ever again, it's taking that next sip. That hasn't changed. I have given myself over to that reality that for me there is no such thing as moderation. It is a complete and total fantasy. Finally, the best thing I ever did was to be totally honest with my family. I hid my drinking very well, most people still don't believe I'm an alcoholic so telling people outright has forced me into a corner. I can't drink...my family knows what that means. Goodnight folks, stay sober then rinse and repeat!
                        Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Well, well... Molly, Matt, TJ thinking about it, looks like we're going to be having an MWO invasion here in Scotland!

You're all welcome anytime - you'll not be disappointed (as long as you bring your waterproofs and midge repellent!)

Comment

One week down and dusted. Not looking for accolades, just keeping myself accountable.
                            Nar, Stories of your HS friend keep me accountable too. I've lost several people in me life to AL and drugs. Such a waste, and I so don't want to go down that road.
                            Matt and TJ, so glad you both stopped by, your insight is always most welcome.
                            V

Comment

Hi,

Quick fly by - Happy Thursday!

Susie! Double digits! Way to go.

Keep on keepin' on, nest.

Pav

Comment

Good Morning Nest.
                                Good day to be Un Hung! It is going to be 28C here today which is awesome especially since I am not working

Don't drink today
                                xo
                                Narilly

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Working...
                                X