Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Originally posted by paulywogg View Post
    Morning nesters,Byrdie,I'm a bit of a pack rat too,I just hate throwing things out cuz I usually DO end up needing it somewhere down to road but I have been getting rid of some stuff lately so I'm making progress
    I've discovered that I regret giving up about 10% of the things I pass on and am so liberated by having the other 90% out of my life! Like Byrdie says, I can go buy a belt if I really need one. I mostly shop at resale stores, which is fun, but the low prices make it easy to take home way too many "great deals". I try to ask myself before a purchase:
    1. Am I going to choose this over something I already own (if so, maybe I should get rid of that thing at home) and
    2. If clothing, am I going to feel great about myself when I'm in it and
    3. Is it comfortable?
    If the answer to any of these is No, then - NO SALE!!
    It saves money and space (and the need to go through another purge down the road...).

Comment

So I just went back in to my closet and cleared out ALL the belts. Thanks for the push! I haven't worn a belt since the Carter Administration so I will never miss them.
      Byrdie
      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
      Tool Box
      Newbie's Nest

Comment

hi Nesters!

Pav, I was wondering about you and Kensho.. was the name of the town Paradise? My mom was telling me about a place the other day.. I think that was it. So sad, terrifying, as the winds can change so quickly, the fires completely out of control. I'm glad to hear you're safe.:hug:

One good thing about moving every couple of years (the only good thing!) is that it becomes easier to weed things out. When I moved into this place 2 years ago, I felt so light and free! I'm still being careful about what I choose to bring into the space. I love 2nd hand shops, NS! It's where we buy a lot of our clothes. The girls and I have also been very focussed on trying not to buy things that contain plastic.. which provides a challenge and another step in the thought process.. "do I really need this?"! Is it worth it?
        Byrdie, you crack me up.. if you haven't worn it since the Carter admin., you probably won't! I have a couple of dresses from my flea market days in Tucson, almost 30 years ago, that I'm holding on to. ha! I guess that very few things are also nice to hold on to for the sake of memories..
        Slo, I think you should definitely go to the doctor when you have any symptoms in the chest, shortness of breath, weight pressing, etc. We just took a 1st aid class at my work place and I'm now thinking better safe than sorry. Of course you know yourself better than anyone else... but if you feel concerned, please don't hesitate!

Quiet evening here. just watching some netflix and listening to the cats purr.. I just called my youngest daughter and held the phone to the cat's mouth.. she knew exactly who was calling. Actually she thought it was the brother.. such loud purring.
        Wishing you all a nice Wednesday.. Or Thursday morning, if that's where you are..xx
        Last edited by lifechange; November 14, 2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

morning nesters

well for some reason i am waking at 3.39am so nice and early to work. i am one of those people that once awake that is me, i blame it on the 4 children i had and never having sleep for 15 years. bring on the xmas break i say.

Bryd you always have brilliant posts and so glad you ditched the belts. i have 2 belts that i keep, never worn them in years so i may just ditch them. my downfall in hoarding are dresses and skirts and i just keep buying more. oh and stockings, 2 drawers of stockings.

Pav, i am glad you are safe from the fires, i see it on the news here and it is just so saddening, the loss of life and houses and animals etc. We have a lot to be grateful for.

Pauly i am with you on the hayfever and feeling crap. Ive not taken a antihistamine in 30 years for hayfever and now seem to be popping them down. the itchiness on the roof of my mouth is driving me batty.

well back to the grind of another day. The hospital is in crisis mode, we had 100 people pass through our emergency department earlier in the week so its busy busy. xmas time is a horrible time of year, i get abused at least once a day at present as everyone wants something before xmas. sigh.

take care and hi to everyone xx
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Waiting for this fabulous winter storm to begin. I really have nothing to complain about considering what's happening on the west coast. My heart goes out to all those dealing with the massive fires. Many of you know my son is a professional fire fighter here in a big city on the east coast. I am always concerned about all firefighters.

Pav, I hope you get the rain, sooner rather than later. Hope your day was good.

Pauly, it's allergies, ha ha!
            My Allergist has me taking Zyrtec 2X/day & my nose is still running. Nothing works.

Byrdie, I did LOL about the belts & the Carter administration. I think the same goes for me!!!!!

LC, there are some high end 2nd hand shops that sell designer clothing with the tags still on - crazy!! Good deals too
            My daughter has been a big fan of them & has found some great pieces. I've never been able to get my animals to 'talk' on the phone, good for you.

Ava, you win the EARLY BIRD award
            I am know for waking up over & over but going back to sleep until a decent hour to start my day.
            Do you take melatonin or anything? I've been taking a 5 mg slo release melatonin lately, it helps a bit.

Hello to the rest of the crew & wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I love the creative way that you let your project manager know to treat you better, Brydie. (And let the boss in on what’s going on!)

Yes, I’m doing my “Swedish death cleaning” now too! I just kept way too much over the years. Purged through my clothes & closet a couple years ago, then my recipe books & such, and now on to the basement. It has been way too easy for all of us to accumulate too much in an industrialized, consumer-driven society. So we accumulate in our 20s & 30s, then spend our middle-age years having to get rid of it all.

The fires are just terrible in California! To think a whole city with the ironic name of Paradise could burn down. Now I know why you were so worried about the lack of rain, Pav. I hope Kensho is ok too.

I like to have my own avatar on the site that nobody else uses, so had to change mine. Otherwise I get confused.

I have a doctor appointment tomorrow morning.

Goodnight!
              Last edited by Slo; November 14, 2018, 09:56 PM.
              Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Morning nesters,we'll I did put a few shirts into the "Goodwill" bag last night so yay me! Its a start,Slo,i know how you feel about the avatar,I get used to peoples too and when there's two peeps with the same one I get confused,they used to have a sparkly hello kitty back when I started but then changed formats throughout time and didnt have it anymore,I miss it but mine is a pic of my bougainvillea in my back yard so it's a bit sentimental now,the Carter admin had me laughing haha,I was just a kid when he was in but I remember he liked peanuts or something? Pulled an Ava and was up too darn early for my liking,grrr,hope today flies by! Have a super,sober Thursday all!
                I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav - be careful with that Zyrtec. I took it every day for a while and stopped cold turkey. I broke out in small, itchy bumps all over my body. It was so itchy that I had bruises on my ribs from where I scratched so hard (mostly in my sleep). Ask your doc about weaning off if you ever do... The human body is so WEIRD and specialized it is a wonder it works at all.

Yes, the town is Paradise in the north. Also, there are a lot of big houses that burned in the south.

You are inspiring me to de-clutter. I'll take some time over this Thanksgiving break (or maybe not). We'll see how lazy I get.

I have a lot of anxiety right now. I think it comes from hormones in addition to the stress of what is going on here, my job, etc. I do sometimes ponder how great it would feel to have a giant martini. Of course, it would feel great for about 20 minutes, then I'd have another one, and then I'd wake up tomorrow even MORE anxious. Instead, I'll breathe, focus on being mindful, and try to get some sleep.

Happy Thursday.

Pav

Comment

Hi, All:

Lav - be careful with that Zyrtec. I took it every day for a while and stopped cold turkey. I broke out in small, itchy bumps all over my body. It was so itchy that I had bruises on my ribs from where I scratched so hard (mostly in my sleep). Ask your doc about weaning off if you ever do... The human body is so WEIRD and specialized it is a wonder it works at all.

Yes, the town is Paradise in the north. Also, there are a lot of big houses that burned in the south.

You are inspiring me to de-clutter. I'll take some time over this Thanksgiving break (or maybe not). We'll see how lazy I get.

I have a lot of anxiety right now. I think it comes from hormones in addition to the stress of what is going on here, my job, etc. I do sometimes ponder how great it would feel to have a giant martini. Of course, it would feel great for about 20 minutes, then I'd have another one, and then I'd wake up tomorrow even MORE anxious. Instead, I'll breathe, focus on being mindful, and try to get some sleep.

Happy Thursday.

Pav

Comment

Byrdie - I have a friend on facebook who uses the same avatar you have here as her profile pic, and almost every time I see a post from her I do a quick double take! Good job getting rid of those belts.

Slo - I do hope you're able to find some answers re your health. I'm not a person who goes to Drs readily either - usually preferring to see if I can influence my own health through nutrition and lifestyle. But yellow complexion and the breathing/chest issues both sound potentially serious, and I hope you'll consider getting an exam.

On my end, I've been in a hard core push with work ever since we got back from Italy, and finally there's a break in sight. This Saturday I'll hit an end point (or at least a pause point) with several of my clients, and with Thanksgiving next week it'll be an even lighter work week. I can't wait - I woke up almost every hour last night with my brain in high gear around work stuff, and I clearly need a mental break!

Hellos and waves to everyone stopping by the nest today. Have fantastic days/eves!
                      Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

morning nesters

Slo, i hope the doctor can sort you out for all of our sakes! We will all feel a lot better after your visit.

Lav, i have ran out of melatonin, the dr prescribed 2mgs which dont make me zonked. when i have finished these two jobs i will get another script as will take me awhile to get back into the 5am wake up. looks nice and chilly your way now.

TFIF is all i can say. have a meeting this morning that i have to prepare for and then the day will begin. i am hoping to walk out the door by midday which i have had planned all week and its not eventuated.

i have 4 garbage bags of clothes to take to the op shop and every time i walk out the door the bags are inside when i get back. must remember to take the bags. if i do go to the op shop then i will have to look, its a vicious circle for me.

Looks like this time of year is a madhouse for everyone and we wont mention all the xmas parties that will start shortly. I'm declining all social events, not in the mood and i need some downtime.

take care xx
                        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Wishing you a relaxing peaceful weekend Ava. Same to everyone.

I hope you can get some R&R in Pav. All the best at the docs Slo.

The feeling's very good here. The combo of zero processed foods/junk, lot's of veggies and fruit, no booze and doing some things i love this past week which encompass my identity is having a big positive, liberating effect.

Some local backpackers trying to earn a buck were selling donations to save the city drop bear with a free double pass to boozeville thrown in. Sorry friends. No ticket to boozeville required here.

A lot of hard workers on this thread. Have a restful weekend and do something you love.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Good afternoon, all.
                            I've been filing today. My inbox was filling up, so I had to go thru and purge that, too. I like to keep ALL emails. I see a pattern here. It HURTS to delete something! What's up with that?
                            November 27, 2009. That was the day my work computer crashed and I lost 10 years worth of emails. Back then, I didn't think to back up my stuff. Now I just hoard everything! Aye, aye, aye....
                            It's been a good day, Ive had very little interaction with my teammates! ha!
                            Ava, I could use a good session at the thrift shops myself....just go look maybe? I was in there once and a clerk was beside me, putting something back, she told me a lady had just asked her if they had a shirt in the next size up! Oh my word! It's donations, for criminy's sake, not Macy's! I had to laugh, people got a nerve!
                            Hope everyone had an easy day. Looking forward to Friday tomorrow. Hugs to all, Byrdie
                            All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                            Tool Box
                            Newbie's Nest

Comment

Wags,there's a lady on my fitness site I use who has Byrdies avatar,I too take a second look and try to remember that I'm not on here haha,,Ava,my hubs has a Christmas party on Dec 1 but its clear on the west side,doesn't start til 7,meh at 7 I'm winding down not getting ready to do anything else,I'm not going,,not sure if he will or not but I doubt it,I hate passing on things like that just because I don't wanna be too much of a weirdo hermit but I just don't wanna go
                              I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                              Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by available View Post
                                Slo, i hope the doctor can sort you out for all of our sakes! We will all feel a lot better after your visit.
                                It’s no biggie. I’m probably experiencing the weird breathlessness & heaviness from dumping extra retinol after stopping my multivitamin with the A in it, stopping my fish oil capsule, & eating a low vitamin A diet for a good week or so. That accounts for the slight Oompa Loompa shade of my skin too. I just had bloodwork done to make sure my liver and thyroid are ok and to make sure I’m not anemic since I’ve been so tired. But I cut down on sugar & carbs lately, so that probably made me tired too. So back up those go! Low-carb high-fat isn’t for me after all. I’ll quit complaining, I promise!

Byrdie, it is hard to keep up with all the emails, and also culling through & deleting photos for me. You probably have tons of work emails too.

Pauly, I like to wind down in the evening too. But tomorrow I’m “going out!” (sort of), as I get to go to a show with my daughter & her friend where the cast from ‘Napoleon Dynamite’ will reminisce about the making of the movie! That will be fun, and, since they’re 15, no drinking will be involved!

Saturday will be the drinking event, when we travel to meet daughter #3’s prospective in-laws while tailgating and going to a college football game at the college where they met. So just need to BYOB (beverages, not beer!), and my own food to prevent the ‘h’ in “HALT”.

I hope [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] is doing well, and listening to lots of good podcasts.

Hi to all!
                                Last edited by Slo; November 15, 2018, 06:59 PM.
                                Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Working...
                                X