Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Having a crazy time with my grandsons tonight, ha ha!
    The 7 year old with the newly casted arm seems to be just fine, go figure! If I had fractured my arm in two places Thursday afternoon I surely would not be plsying with the iPad on the living room floor like nothing ever happened, Lol

Hello to everyone, have a safe night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Byrdie, that was bold of the book sales lady to ask you that question! Thank goodness you’re in a different chapter in your life now!

Sounds like a fun night LAV!

We ate an early dinner out and got home by 6:30 and watched a movie! Now THAT’s a fun change! Relaxing is so great once you learn how to do it!! Tomorrow is chore day, so enjoying an early bed time. Feeling happy about my decision to be a non-drinker.
      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Happy Un-hung Sunday, Nesters!

It's a grey and overcast morning here.. not in any way inviting to leave the house! But I've lit some candles and am listening to Mozart's clarinet concerto, which always lifts my spirits.. and I have 2 purring kitties by my side.. one trying to climb in my lap. He's so funny. Such a big, awkward cat who when I'm home, is always practically attached to my side. :love:

Loved reading back on all the posts..
        So good to hear from you, MaryLou. You sound so happy, content and balanced in your sobriety. Well done.. :hug:
        Kensho, that sounds like my kind of evening! At the moment, I'm leaving my calendar open, making set dates when necessary and otherwise leaving it up to spontaneity.. 'cause I never know how I'm going to feel! And mostly, I feel like cozying up in a blanket, with a tea and a good book or netflix atm.. I was wondering if there was something in particular behind your romanticizing the other day? Or did the thoughts just come out of nowhere? Good for you for just letting them go!

Slo, yes, I'm part of the exhausted/tired camp.. though I'm feeling much better now. It really is a matter of being ok with not always feeling great.. We can't always be happy, on top of the world, feeling like a million, can we? Sometimes (for me at least) I think these down times are just that.. time to come down. Rest. And I don't need to beat myself up (as I tend to do..??), I can try to just slow down a bit, sit with it. Have a nap! Which is what I've been doing now and it feels much better. Ever learning..

Lav, I'm very happy to hear you've found out some of the things you're allergic to! At least you know now what to stay away from.. that last attack you had sounded so unpleasant. Here's to 7 year olds!!

ok. I'm off to the gym. I have to say I'm feeling much better after a week of eating well and changing some of my daily rituals. I'm hoping that if I continue on for awhile, they'll become new habits. I'm craving discipline in my life, balance.

Big hugs to all of you.. and wishing you a relaxing Sunday, Byrdie, NS, Wags, Ava, Nar, Pauly, G-man, Pav, Belle and Choices--how are you?
        and anyone I may have missed, flying or stopping by the nest today. xx
        Last edited by lifechange; November 11, 2018, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Morning nesters,Byrdie,that's interesting about finding that book with the receipt in it still and realizing that you struggled for another year to quit,I had posted on steppers the other day that I found a journal of mine from 2010 and it was hard to read,obviously drinking was making me miserable! Hating my job,thinking everyone hated me,just a sad sack yet in some of the entries I was still very pro drinking,almost saluting alcohol what a confused person and it just sounded dumb Marylou great to see you pop in,glad you're well Slo,I'm doing lots of lemon water too,waves to all and I hope we all have a great AF day!
          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi,

Pauly - we ALL sounded dumb, right? I spent a long time trying to make a case for myself to keep drinking. So glad that's over.

Byrdie! You conjured a memory for me - I totally forgot about this. Several times I went to the bookstore but I never did have the courage to buy a book. I would try to find something near the alcohol section that I could pretend I was looking for - the bookstore and the library. I didn't want it to be on my Amazon account either. If someone had asked me that question back then i would have said YES! That was a courageous first move.

I went to a party last night. It was a lot of fun - one lady got pie-eyed and generally made an ass of herself. I am so grateful to be feeling fine today, and also grateful that I can have fun at a party. There was SO MUCH alcohol, and only a few non-alcoholic beverages. By the end of the night most were drinking water anyway - we're all getting older. I certainly had a rough time making that switch to water when I was drinking.

Happy Sober Sunday, all. I have Monday off but we are doing something with my in-laws which sort of feels like work (lovely people, a long story).

Pav

Comment

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
              It really is a matter of being ok with not always feeling great.. We can't always be happy, on top of the world, feeling like a million, can we? Sometimes (for me at least) I think these down times are just that.. time to come down. Rest. And I don't need to beat myself up (as I tend to do..??), I can try to just slow down a bit, sit with it. Have a nap! Which is what I've been doing now and it feels much better. Ever learning..
              I like this LC. It's ok not to be 100% ALL of the time. Rest is good. So is pausing and reflecting. 2 things i'm trying to do more often.

Happy 5 years Marylou! Hi Ava x post.

All good here. Big waves to evabody. Have a gr8 week.
              Last edited by Guitarista; November 11, 2018, 02:26 PM.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

morning nesters

Back to the grind of my 5am starts, tired already after an hour. i am hoping to leave early today but it didnt happen on Friday so we will see.

Bryd i still get the occasional looks of pity when i say i cant drink but i feel more sorry for them with their said drink in hand and half drunk. I am definitely proud of my sobriety and am not prepared to give that up for anything. I definitely was not proud of myself when i was drinking.

Pauly i never wrote anything when i was trying to give up drinking, could not read it back for the life of me. i remember i got to the stage i would try and write notes when i was on the phone so i would remember what i talked about, could not read that writing either ha ha. I justified constantly why i had to keep drinking, sad to think about now.

Had a lovely weekend, my girls came over and only had one son missing. i made them get up early to go shopping with lots of complaints but an hour after we got to the plaza it was packed so they were happy that i pushed them. i have one more xmas present to buy and also my mum, whom i never have an idea of what she wants. i think she wants a new phone but she never uses the one she has so i am a bit confused as to why she wants one. At her age i just may as well do it and then she can hassle one of the boys when she cant use it!

Hi Mary, lovely to see you pop in and celebrating 5 years. Im pretty excited also for December to come around.

Well better get back to work and enjoy the quiet in the hospital at this time of day.

take care xx
                AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Dear Nest, thank you all for being here. I feel so much less alone.

At my little sister’s house last night, before a play that her little sons were in, all the adults were having wine beforehand, of course, and I felt so weird not “being able to” partake with everyone else. But it helps to know that you’re all here. I need to reinforce looking at it as “my choice”.

Thank you for your words to me, [MENTION=15430]lifechange[/MENTION]. I am just tired, tired, tired. And tired of being tired. I tried eating low-carb high-fat (like [MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION]) the last few days, but it put me in a dark mood by yesterday where I couldn’t handle my husband’s nonsense and got real down & burst into tears. But, I can hardly handle his idiotic crap even on a good day. Still, I think that LCHF is ultimately where I need to go. But I must watch that my vitamin A/beta-carotene doesn’t go too high due to my overload, as my eyes got yellow, bloodshot, & itchy again last night from my sister’s lasagna.
                  I just have to accept that I’m a low energy person with less energy than most, and easily overwhelmed & overstimulated; after all, that is what led me to drinking in the first place: to fix that!
                  Thanks for pointing out that it’s ok to rest, and it especially seems like a Winter thing to do; to hibernate. I just have to break with the current modern day thinking that it’s a virtue to be busy-busy-busy and high-energy at all times.
                  And you’re learning how to do that too, [MENTION=20476]KENSHO[/MENTION]!

Byrdie, I agree that that was a courageous first step to acknowledge out loud to yourself and to the nosy clerk that you had a problem with alcohol. It does often take a long time between first becoming aware of an alcohol problem to actually quitting.

Congratulations, G-man, to be over 60 days!

Lav, truly amazing how a 7-year-old can just take an injury like that in stride!

Pav, your enjoyment of parties such as that one is encouraging for us all.

I hope [MENTION=24196]Rava[/MENTION] and [MENTION=23208]wagmor[/MENTION] are having good weekends too!
                  Last edited by Slo; November 11, 2018, 05:25 PM.
                  Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Good Sunday evening Nesters,

Much quieter in my house tonight
                    It's turned cold, had a hard frost overnight which killed off that last of the plants that were still hanging around from the summer. We have a fire going in the fireplace, nice.

Slo, 'tis the season to wind down, right? Problem is some of us just don't do that & end up in trouble physically or emotionally. Rest when you need rest, it's a good thing. When you get a nice sunny day get outside & take some deep breaths. Treat yourself to some healthy delicious foods. Good self care is something we all need

Ava, Monday mornings in the hospital were by far the worst, LOL
                    I hope your day goes well!

Hi there G, Pauly, Pav, Kensho & everyone.
                    Wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Speaking of rest, Good night Nest. (Is that a book?) I’ll check in tomorrow.
                      Kensho

Done. Moving on to life.

Comment

Good MAE, Nest.
                        [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION], I don't mean to sound like an old Mother Hen but if you haven't done it recently, maybe a general check-up and blood tests would be a good idea. The fatigue could be due to something fixable like a thyroid issue or some type of anemia. Before I was Dx with celiac disease and quit eating gluten, I had several bouts of anemia and felt much like you describe.

I agree that this feels odd in the early days:
                        I felt so weird not “being able to” partake with everyone else.
                        It helped me to re-frame it as
                        I don't have to partake with everyone else.
                        After feeling absolutely compelled to drink for several years, it was so liberating to realize that I never had to drink again!

Comment

Morning nesters,just want to wish everyone a nice AF Monday!
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All:

SLO - I reframe events like that in my mind (easy to do now). Really? Is it really necessary for us all to get boozed up before a children's play? Why is that a thing to even do? We met a group of parents at a pub before a high school football game, and they were all drinking. And then we all wonder why teens all binge drink and think that alcohol has to be at every event. I try not to look "down" on people who drink still, but I have come to have a radical point of view that no one should drink! I never say that in public because people would look at me like I have three heads... I do know that humans have spent a long time trying to alter their reality in one way or another, but every day imbibing doesn't seem to me to be what we're after. I also like NS's reframe - thank goodness you didn't have to drink!

I have one more event in a WAY TOO packed weekend, including dealing with illness with my aged parents. i'm going to need another day off, but I won't get one... Good thing I don't drink...

Happy Sober Monday,
                            Pav

Comment

Hi Nesters,

me, too, just popping in to wish everyone a good af Monday!
                              It's been a long one for me and I'm looking forward to chillin' this evening on the sofa!:happy2:

Big hugs!xx

Comment

Strumming my guitar for you LC while you're chillin'. Can you hear a string of notes coming at ya on the wind from across the seas?

The feeling's good here as i embrace my sobriety and really begin to look forward. I mostly see full on weekly music making with folk new and old, regular travel, continuing with regular community work, and building my happiness and satisfaction. Doing what i love is the key here for me. Putting Me first, and letting everything else flow from there. Aligning with some inner truth. It's an inside job after all. It starts wit me.

Have a rippa out there. :heartbeat:

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Working...
                                X