Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Good evening Nesters,

Grateful to still have power after a day of snow, high winds & now rain. The good news is the temp just went above freezing so hopefully there will be little to no ice to deal with tomorrow

Slo, glad you got to see the doc.
    I'm another who does not do well on low carb diets - leave me craving ~ something. I would dearly love to lose the 20 menopause lbs I packed on but I am not going to make myself crazy, right?

Fortunately for us Christmas parties seem to be a thing of the past. When you retire you lose those opportunities & families like mine are so spread apart get togethers are pretty rare.
    I'm happier staying home for the most part & enjoying an anxiety free evening.

Hello to Pauly, G, Byrdie, Pav, Ava & Wags.

Pav,I have noticed the Zyrtec leaves me feeling kinda spaced out & dries my eyes out terribly. I cut down to 1X/day & am taking it at bedtime. I don't have any active allergy symptoms or rashes going on so 1/day is plenty

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Slo,I love Napoleon Dynamite! A lot of people think it's boring or pointless but for some reason I adore it,you'll have fun sounds like you have a plan for the tailgate,great job,our neighbor just left some modelos hanging on our garage door for hubs as a thanks for helping him with his truck,I just brought them in and put them in the fridge so nobody would steal them,hafta tell hubs to find a different spot for them cuz I know he won't drink them all tonight but having beers in my fridge doesn't sit right with me either,,not that I'm tempted just don't wanna see I either
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Morning Nesters!
        TFTF for me, too, Ava!
        It's been a long and stressful week at work, with a sick colleague, a 15 year old "intern" and a broken oven. I had to seriously practice patience and letting go!
        Slo, I'm glad you went to the doctor! Like many of you, I very rarely go.. but sometimes blood tests are necessary, aren't they? Have a great time out with your daughter! Taking snacks along for the "H" is so important!
        Pauly, you've been sounding so well lately! Positive and full of energy! I can barely keep up with you..:happy2:
        Hi Wags!!
        I'm with those of you who prefer to stay home and be cozy.. I try to be really careful about what I say yes to so that I don't have to cancel! A good friend and I had plans to go to the movies last week at 7 and ended up having an hour long phone chat at 5:30 instead. I'm much more of a day person.. especially during the dark months.
        Byrdie, I'm the same way with emails! Though I've managed to get rid of a lot, I do hang on to the personal ones. I have millions of bookmarked sites/articles, etc. on my computer.. again! After my computer gave out 1.5 years ago, I was so happy to have a clean slate! Funny, that!

ok. off to work. I am quite happy that I only have to walk for a minute to get there.. my neighbor reminded me this morning of how grateful I can be for that, which I am.

Wishing you all a lovely Friday!xx

Comment

Morning nesters,yep LC,I'm defo an indoor person at night too,that's one of the reasons I don't want to go to hubs' Christmas party,traffic,get there and they probably won't serve food til 8(pauly don't eat anything past 4) probably be drinking,more traffic,then having to come home and get into sleep mode,no thanks! Been posting here because I love my other threads but the nest keeps alive the real reason we're all here Lav,all of those allergy meds make me weird and don't help me,I'll stick to my Hylands allergy relief and saline spray ugh,slept for awhile but still feel groggy,think I'll make a pumpkin spice protein shake while it's still pumpkin spice season,,after Thanksgiving I move in to peppermint mocha waves to all and wishes for a free Friday(al free!)

Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi, All--

Pauly, we love having you here. Glad you're doing well, and take care of yourself. I think I've made it clear here that I'm not a huge fan of the holidays, but YUM to the peppermint mocha!

I was talking to a family friend who is organizing a yearly ladies lunch we have - why on Earth do we do it during this time of the year!?!? I said that they should have it on the day that works for everyone else and I may or may not make it as I was already feeling overbooked that weekend. Dang, she wouldn't take no for an answer. It is HARD to say no. And then I got a 50th birthday party invitation, a mulled wine party invitation... It is a nice problem to have to have so many friends and family - I truly am a lucky woman. I really just have to say to myself that not attending one party doesn't make me a bad friend... One thing FOR sure about holiday parties - eat ahead of time, and have an exit strategy! I can show up, make the rounds and let my face be seen for a bit, and then slip out the door.

Slo, that sounds exciting to meet your potential future in-laws. Do you like the significant other?

Ava, that is hilarious. There is a used clothes shop in an affluent town near ours, and the clothes you can get there are pretty high quality for a bargain. Time to head out (with a sack in my hand to drop off first!) I actually hate shopping, so too many clothes isn't my problem. Now books, that's another story...

TFIF, indeed. Have a great one. Take care of yourselves, and don't drink, no matter what!

Pav

Comment

Pauly, I've really enjoyed your being here, too. You sound GREAT to boot! I try not to eat after 6, otherwise, I mays well inject it onto my butt! I hate going in to the holidays with my weight up. Maybe I could accept the fact that I'm going to go through life 10 pounds overweight....or I could lose the 10 pounds, I'll have to get back to you on that one, ha!
              It's been a quiet day at work, both the hag admin AND the project manager from hell are off today!
              Heading in to the weekend feeling good. It's only Friday, NOT a ticket to BoozeVille! Hope everyone has a great day! :rara: Byrdie
              Last edited by Byrdlady; November 17, 2018, 03:35 PM.
              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
              Tool Box
              Newbie's Nest

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                One thing FOR sure about holiday parties - eat ahead of time, and have an exit strategy! I can show up, make the rounds and let my face be seen for a bit, and then slip out the door.
                Hi friends.

Pav, i love this approach and use it often. Everyone's a winner. It's a simple strategy that i can handle. One key is ensuring i have my own transport to and from the event. Otherwise i might find myself feeling trapped.

Byrdy, the admin worker and project manager sound like the perfect match. Project managers sometimes get in the way of people doing the real work.lol.

A working weekend for me. Lucky i like the job. Big waves to evabody.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I love having you hanging out in the NN, [MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION]. You are so kind and encouraging to everyone. Plus, I admire your tenacity and refusal to let addiction take you down. Too many people give up, but not you :hug:.

It is great to hear that there is nothing too serious going on with you, [MENTION=19596]Slo[/MENTION]. It sounds like you are very in tune with how you are feeling so I'm sure you'll be able to figure out what is best for you to (and not to!) eat and drink. If we were all the same, either all or none of us would be alcoholics. All or none of us would have the "side effects" of medications (that word always cracks me up -- they are simply effects of the medication, just not the one we were looking for!). In terms of what we eat, LCHF works well for me but not for everyone. From my professional (and personal) perspective, the only global advice that should be given by anyone is to eat real food (i.e. not or minimally processed) and avoid added sugar and seed oils. And the good thing is, by not eating processed food, you naturally reduce the sugar and seed oils.

Have a good weekend, Nesters!

Comment

[MENTION=18725]NoSugar[/MENTION].. why not seed oils? Like pumpkin and grape and sesame seed? Never heard that before..xx
                    Last edited by lifechange; November 16, 2018, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lifechange View Post
                      @NoSugar.. why not seed oils? Like pumpkin and grape and sesame seed? Never heard that before..xx
                      No, not really those - more on the order of soybean oil and corn oil. Here's an easy way to learn about how you get oil out of seeds, which is no easy task!: Nina Teicholz - 'Vegetable Oils: The Unknown Story' - YouTube Further, those oils are high in omega 6 fatty acids and most of us do not consume that many omega 3 fatty acids, resulting in an imbalance.

Comment

Originally posted by Pavati View Post
                        Slo, that sounds exciting to meet your potential future in-laws. Do you like the significant other?
                        Pav
                        I adore my future son-in-law! I like him just as much as the two sons-in-law that I acquired this year! They are all fine young men. And I enjoyed meeting both of the other daughters’ in-laws, so looking forward to meeting these folks too.
                        The only thing I’m not looking forward to is not being able to relax with beers with the rest of them. But I also wouldn’t want to have to try to sneak extra, and try to hide secret stashes; so I’m glad to have freedom from that!

[MENTION=17650]paulywogg[/MENTION], I agree that you are always so kind and encouraging to everyone. Thanks for posting in the Nest. Time for me to go vote for Pedro!

Have a safe and booze-free Friday, everyone.
                        Last edited by Slo; November 16, 2018, 07:04 PM.
                        Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.

Comment

Thanks guys,I like it here too Slo,yup,we fantasize about the"relaxing" with a few beers but forget the sneaking off for more,looking at the one in our hand and thinking about the next one already,hoping there's more and enough,the zone out while being with the very people we're supposed to be relaxing with,kind of ignoring them really once the drinkin gets going (for me anyways) then the really not knowing what kind of drinking session you'll get either get too tired to hang or a sadness come on,bleh too unpredictable anymore and totally NOT worth the agony the next day

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Rained like crazy all night after yesterday's 4" snowfall so there's not much left. That's perfectly OK with me
                            Got to enjoy some sunshine today, yay!

Pauly, you really have been doing well & I am happy for you!

Slo, I hope your meet n greet goes well. You will learn to relax without a glass in your hand, promise
                            The knowledge that I never again have to make an a$$ out of myself in a social situation is enough to keep me happy & AF.

I saw deer munching on grass in my yard today & remembered deer season just opened. I hope this one doesn't wander too far & get into trouble. Hunters will be hunters
                            Just saw a pic on FB of my grandson's new cast - it's red, nice & not the pink with black stripes he told me he was going to get, haha!! A 7 yr old with a sense of humor, go figure!

Hello to everyone & wishing a safe night in the nest for all!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I’ve been doing shooters today....peanut butter fudge shooters! (Don’t look, NoSugar!)
                              6E3F262D-7C59-4969-A625-0F55B1854CA5.jpg
                              Have a wonderful evening, nesters. Byrdie
                              All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                              Tool Box
                              Newbie's Nest

Comment

I need one of those Byrdie! Stressful day at work cuz it was sooooo slow chocolate always makes me feel better,did end up buying a pumpkin bundt cake with cream cheese frosting instead,hope all are well,quiet here today too

Comment

Working...
                                X