Newbies Nest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newbies Nest

Pav - not my birthday, just another day of the earth spinning on its axis! But as you said, another day sober Sorry to hear you aren't sleeping well, and a ticket to your couch sounds like a great plan.

Lav - jealous about your pending haircut. I doubt I'll be doing that for another 6+ weeks. Between my wife and my dad, I've got two very high risk people in my household and we will be staying hunkered mostly down for the time being.

Byrdie - wow, that was a quick opening in your area (or partial opening). I hope that things don't backfire on folks, especially that outsiders coming to visit don't bring the virus to you and other locals.

Hellos and waves to Pauly, Belle, NS and everyone else stopping by the nest this fine Friday (or into the weekend). As Pav said, no tickets anywhere (at least not with booze!).
    Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

I'm with you on waiting for a haircut (and many other things), Wags. Based on what I consider to be reliable sources, we're opening up too soon for the wrong reasons. The virus hasn't changed just because we've run out of patience. For in-depth, carefully considered articles on various COVID19-related topics, The Atlantic has been fantastic. I'd encourage people to subscribe but in any case, they are generously making this content free to everyone.

My hair is super-thick and curly/frizzy and I've worn it short for most of my adult life. I'm considering not touching it until there is a vaccine and seeing if I can become one of those crazy ladies with long, grey-streaked hair sprouting off their heads and down their backs!

Well, the high-octane energy in this house of 4 adults and 2 boys would be totally unmanageable if I were still drinking. I'm grateful about that at least 5 times every day. But, I'm so tired by nighttime, I go to bed as early as possible (like 8:30 pm!). It was reported to me that the 5 y old, who is allowed to watch a show w/ his parents after his brother goes to bed, asked why I passed out and missed the show every night :haha:. When I heard that, it hit me how ashamed I would be if I were actually passing out, not choosing to go to bed and get some rest!
      Last edited by NoSugar; May 23, 2020, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Hi, All:

I found this article by Atul Gawande very instructive. Since I know you won't click, Ava, here is a summary: Hospitals can serve as models for how to "open up" safely by doing four things - 1. Screen employees on their way in; 2. masks; 3. Distancing; 4. Hand washing/sanitation. I find his writing to be accessible and logical. I'm not sure piling in a car to go to the beach qualifies. It will be hard here - it is a beautiful weekend. But I'll manage.

Our grocery stores have always sold booze. NoSugar - I see those purchases now and know what is going on! I just happened to be out of carrots, bread, oh, and Vodka. As Byrdie says, those WEREN'T the days.

My kids are getting impatient and their friends have families that are more "open" to open than we are, so we're in for some fights ahead. I REALLY don't want to catch this now...

Hope you all have restful, calm, Saturdays that are SOBER.

xo
        Pav

Comment

Morning nesters

Steady, that is awful what happened, i hope everything was sorted out and that you came on here and logged in. send me a fb message if you ever need me lovely, its always good to talk.

Pauly, you had a fitbit while drinking, god i dont think i walked in years when i drank, interrupted with my drinking time. Would have given me something else to feel guilty about also. Hope work is keeping all of you safe.

Lav, happy belated 10 years sf. I think like with drinking the 1st year is the worst and the 2nd year you tell yourself its not worth it so keep plodding along. Like drinking, i would love one but i know its not worth it now. I hope to hate smoking like i hate drinking.

Belle, i hope the grocery shop went well, you are stronger than you think. My local grocery store used to have the bottleshop right near the entrance, man did i run into that shop but i never looked back.

Byrd, i think like drinking that you have to make you the priority in this pandemic. God knows how they will manage public transport when they want people to go back to work, the roads are a nightmare now and will be way worse. I am just staying put.

People are just being as stupid here with social distancing etc, i try and go out during the week when it is quieter now. I am happy that i can get a massage for my neck though.

Lol Pav, now how did you know that. When i go to work we have all of that and one person visiting patients for 2 hours only, the line up to the lifts is out our door of the hospital now. 3 lifts and 2 people per lift. We do have lots of stairs though! I went to Aldi the other day and they had a sale on air fryers, it was pandemonium and no security and people pushing everywhere, but they do offer hand sanitiser! go figure.

I did some gardening yesterday in the rain, i need to go and get some more seeds and soil but that can wait till during the week. My foster dog or my dog that is mine now loves to dig, i go mad at her and she just looks at me with her sad eyes. I did buy a new tv with built in chromecast and love it but the problem is i am watching that many shows that i am not going to sleep till 1am. Hopefully the novelty will pass. Just finished watching the new series of Cardinal and Killing Eve.

take care and stay safe xx
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Saturday greetings Nesters,

Had a ton of rain & thunder overnight but the day turned out pretty nice
            Made some vegan calzones for dinner except my husband put salami in his haha!
            Feels weird to be in the midst of a holiday weekend with no plans but that’s what 2020 has been all about!

Byrdie, not sure about the wisdom of scheduling a 75 year old for elective surgery right now. Guess the surgeons want to get back to work
            There’s no need to get yourself involved in that drama. Take care of you & stay off those beaches!!

Wags, don’t get jealous yet, haha! I’ll have to see IF the hair cutting people are actually reday togo back to work June 5. Time will tell I guess.
            Hope your weekend goes well.

NS, I know exactly what my hair would look like if I continue to let it grow. No way I want to go there myself. LOL

Pav, I wish you luck with your kids, this has to be tough. To deal with. My 9 yr old granddaughter has been spending hours each day face timing with her friends - better than nothing i guess.

Hello to everyone & sending wishes for a safe night In the nest for all!

Lav
            AF since 03/26/09
            NF since 05/19/09
            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

I don't have a subscription to The New Yorker so can't access the article, Pav, so thanks for summarizing. I love all of Gawande's writing - so clear, sensible, and compassionate. Maybe it is in that piece but somewhere else I saw the advice to follow what local hospitals are doing. If they aren't letting people visit patients or congregate in waiting rooms, that's a clue!

I'm sure it is frustrating to see people congregating, Ava, but at least your numbers are low and you're not on the leading edge of the curve. You are fortunate to live where you do!

Lav, I have a photo of myself from the early 80s with longish hair so I have an idea where I'm heading :egad:! I might have to change my mind once the weather turns hot ...

Comment

Hi Everyone,
                Nice to have a sober holiday weekend, even if it means only staying home and making masks and dog bandanas. Little Bonne 'Snoots' will be the envy of the neighborhood dogs with her many bandanas. When I was a teen I worked in the fabric department of JC Penney. I accumulated yards and yards of fabric, which I guess I saved well during the many years since. My daughter loves some of the patterns as they are so 'retro'. Haha. I have to admit they are pretty unique.

People are going crazy out in droves at the beaches in MD and VA. No masks, no social distancing...what is everybody thinking? That some miracle occurred and we are all safe out there? Here comes the second wave, I'm sure and I wouldn't be surprised if it is worse than the first as the crowds are just crazy.

I feel so bad for my daughter's boyfriend who is a graduating high school senior. Basically every type of celebration is being canceled. He and a few of his friends are trying to rent a cabin in the mountains for a few days in June. They all plan to be tested for Covid before they go. Smart? I don't know. I'm actually surprised his parents are allowing this.

As my son is back working in the grocery store, I am trying to perfect my mask making. I ordered a bunch of mask filters (don't know how effective they are, or just have good marketing) to put into a mask 'pocket'. He claims my latest design was comfortable all through his 7 hour shift yesterday. They get their temperatures taken before starting a shift, and are encouraged to wash hands every 30 minutes (I doubt they all comply). However, masks are voluntary, which may change this week as the governor might make masks compulsory. However, mr governor himself was caught at VA beach with crowds of people, not social distancing and not wearing a mask. wtf?

Husband is making a racket in the kitchen giving me a headache. I'm ready to try a new mask design today.

Wishing all a healthy, safe, sober weekend!
                BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Happy Un Hung Saturday everyone.

So I had an emergency apendectomy on Wednesday. I had indigestion on Tuesday and then on Wednesday my stomach hurt a bit more generally so I had a phone appointment with my doctor and she told me to go to emergency. So I went there and had my appendix out at 10pm. I wore a mask the whole time I was there and everyone was masked up. They were screening people as they came in.
                  I was the only one in pre op in an operating room that can hold at least 20 people, it was weird.

Anyway, I am bagged so I will come back later. I love the conversation but am to tired to talk..
                  Narilly

"Nothing in this World Can take the place of Persistence"
                  "You can have the life you want OR you can Drink"

AF April 12, 2014

Comment

Oh Nar...so sorry you had to go through that at such uncertain times! Hope you heal quickly and are back on your feet soon. I'm sure you are glad you don't drink! It's Gross!!
                    BelleGirl

Alcohol does me no favors.

Pouring poison down your throat is just plain STUPID!

Comment

Nar, I’m so sorry you had an emergency like that! I was at a sales meeting when a fellow salesperson had a rupture, she was one sick girl. I hope you will be back in the pink soon! You just never know! Gentle hugs.
                      Im so glad to see our Like and Thank You buttons back! :welldone:

The beaches have been PACKED all weekend. We had our highest number of new cases reported Friday, almost 1100 new cases We are certainly NOT on the decline. I thought we had to meet ALL the criteria before opening, but I guess it was close enough. time will tell. The beach just seems to be TOO great a temptation for people. There were FB pictures of crowded restaurants last night, with captions, ‘It’s so nice to be back to normal’. I’m thinking, going to restaurant in the middle of a pandemic is anything BUT normal. But what do I know?
                      Hubs helped me color my hair yesterday, I still have some gray spots, but it’s better than it was. He is NOT handy with stuff like that, so I am lucky he even tried!

I hope everyone is staying safe and sober! Byrdie
                      All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
                      Tool Box
                      Newbie's Nest

Comment

Hi crew,

Nar, wishing you a full and speedy recovery mi amiga!

Hi Belle! How are you?

Hi Byrdy. i agree that we aren't home and hosed just yet. In Oz, we have been able to keep our infection rates kinda manageable i suppose so far. But we are easing restrictions and opening the way for restaurants and bars to slowly open this last week or so. We will see what the virus does from here. I'm lucky to still have work rolling along.

Hiya Steady. Hope you're going ok and have an easy week.

Big wave and hello's to y'all. Take it easy out there.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

I am almost at 3 months and still sober!
                          I quit drinking on March 8, 2020. Taking it One Day At A Time and no more taking my quit for granted.

Also doing it for me. I got to stay sober for me.

Just consecrate on today and do what you can to remain sober for today and worry about staying sober tomorrow, tomorrow.

Comment

Good evening Nesters,

Kind of chilly here for late May but I’d rather have that than the blistering heat & humidity we always end up getting. Nothing much happening, no gatherings of course. The highlight of my weekend is going & feeding the cats at my son’s house, haha!

NS, when the heat & humidity arrives here I will be looking like one hairy beast, I kid you not
                            Hang in there!

Narilly, oh boy sorry to hear your news. The appendix is such a stupid useless thing. I wish you a speedy recovery friend

Hi to Belle, Byrdie, G & everyone! Hope your weekends are going well, stay safe!

Alison, Congrats to you on your AF time :welldone: I am happy to hear that news, keep up the good work!

Wishing everyone a safe night in the nest!

Lav
                            AF since 03/26/09
                            NF since 05/19/09
                            Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

MAE, Nesters,

Thankyou so much for your words of support after Mr (Un)Steady's misadventure and my subsequent close call!

NoSugar, yes you're right it's interesting I posted before the scammer issue, I guess I knew it would take only one more stressor to tip the balance, and as you say I reinforced my quit. It also occurred to me there's a parallel with the need to protect ourselves from scammers - both human and our enemy al. Must keep our anti-al security software updated!

Paulywogg, my husband seems to be a sucker for puppies! I like your 'go with the flow' approach.

Pav, sorry the scam happened to your Dad too. Makes me so mad. Our IT friend came over and fingers crossed the P.C is all secure again. Yes, I heartily agree that it's bad enough how out of control the virus is; to be out of control with alcohol would be insane! Exercise is a much better alternative.

Wagmor, and your Dad was scammed too! My husband is only 65 years old, and I'm shocked he would fall for such thing. I can only put it down to being in a haze with drinking every day and smoking weed.

Narilly, take good care after your appendectomy, a horrible thing at any time, but especially now. Thankyou for your reinforcement, I don't drink coz it's gross!

Lavande, so your friend was scammed too! Just shows how widespread this problem is. I reported the scam to a couple of government agencies, but I know we're just one of many.

I can relate to everyone who doesn't miss the anxiety that came with drinking. Uggh!, it was awful. And the awkwardness of shopping for al every damned day, glad that's over too.

Ava, I hope things start to get easier for you with your work. The 'flattening of the curve' is looking good right now, hope it keeps up. Enjoy your new tv! :hug:

Hi Mr G! So good that you still have your work in these uncertain times.

Byrdlady, I wouldn't be brave enough to let my husband colour my hair, no way!

Stay well, stay sober, everyone,
                              Steady
                              xo
                              Last edited by STEADFAST; May 24, 2020, 10:26 PM.
                              AF free since April 29, 2013

Comment

Nar - so sorry to hear about your emergency appendectomy but glad you went in right away and were able to get things taken care of. Rest up and recuperate - we'll all be sending you positive healing energy :heartbeat:

NS - I can see why you'd be so tired every night! Great job doing self-care though, and I bet you're exceptionally glad that you aren't truly passing out.

Ugh, the crowded beaches, parks, restaurants etc worry me but there seems to be a strong "you can't take away my freedoms" thread in this country and so people are going to go out and do anything that's even remotely allowed. I really hope it doesn't bite us all in the tush. I've been saying for the past two months that I think the most important weeks to stay home are the ones we're in right now - the first few when things are starting to open up - because hoards of people are going to rush out just for the sake of being out. Nope, we will continue to stay cautious for the time being. I've known several people who experienced covid-19 or lost a family member to it. Although yes some people have mild or no symptoms, the ones who got "sick" were and still are really really sick. And with long-term consequences to lungs and other organs. The steep price just isn't worth it.

Tomorrow is Memorial Day in the U.S. Let us hope we have a safe day to remember those we have lost.
                                Toolbox/Toolkit

Comment

Working...
                                X