No announcement yet.

Progress thread for ne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Molly78 - I've been taking 140 mg/day all at once for years now. I take it between 4 and 6 p.m. I don't have any side effects from it (other than the usual bac dehydration etc). And it's MUCH easier to manage.

Glad to see you're feeling better, NE. Amazing that you have a local doc who's willing to prescribe!

Comment

[QUOTE=Molly78;1630566]Thanks for the link, sf. The study was last verified in 2011 though, so presumably didn't produce any results which would make the drug profitable for the company running the trial. Maybe total dosage too low?

Hi Molly -I found where the extended release version of baclofen is currently in phase III of clinical research. Study is to be completed in December 2017. If I am not mistaken, this is the final stage before the medication goes to market. Obviously it works or the pharmaceutical company would not be spending the money on a phase III trial.

Here are the links:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01457352
      http://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.co...ting-patients/

Ne -thanks for the use of your thread to help me and others find out this information. I will copy the information over to my med thread.

Really sounds like you are making some great personal progress and I am glad to read about it.

--sf--

Comment

All of the other medications I'm taking are extended release. I'm gonna guess that baclofen isn't because it isn't officially used (in pill form) for any specific diagnosis. EDIT: I stand corrected if those links are valid. ha. So two more years and we'll finally have an ER version! Wooohoo!

No question if I was taking less than 300+ I could take it all at once. I can, and do, regularly take 150mg at one time. I just can't take all 300 in a short amount of time. It keeps me awake if I take it at night, and causes excessive somnolence if I take it in the day time. Also, I should point out that I definitely had some side effects when I was titrating up from 80mg. Nothing like the first time, and in no small part due to being erratic and also, booze.

None of that would have been feasible when I was titrating up, though. I had to, and was, consistent (at least for me) and absolutely needed to spread out my doses and increase slowly.

Nice to see you, too, Sere! Remind me (again) where you reached indifference. And also, do you still drink occasionally? Are you still doing crossfit?

In other words, what's news sister? You are more than 4 years indifferent...catch a girl up!

Comment

Ne, that’s amazing that you got your psychiatrist to prescribe bac for you and Ed at such a high dose Although I have to say I’m a little jealous that your insurance is so good. Mine doesn’t cover any portion of my prescription, so I have to pay full price for both my prescription, and the extra stuff I buy online. As far as remembering to take it, is there anything that you absolutely never leave the house without? For me it’s my purse, and I have a piece of paper that I leave sticking out of my (opened) purse reminding me to pack my baclofen and other essentials (like my phone, which I ALWAYS forget without that damn note). When I take the note out to grab my purse and leave, I leave the note in the exact same place where I put my purse back when I come home, so that I remember to put the reminder note back in for the next time. Works like a charm so far (along with the phone alarm reminders to take it). There’s always a way to remind even the most forgetful of minds. You just have to develop some system that works for you.

Comment

Lis, do you know about the discounted rx when you join at Walgreens? I think there is something similar at Rite Aid, too. Probably all major pharmacies. I paid, out of pocket, about $75 for baclofen back when I wasn't using my insurance. And yes, though my insurance isn't the best (it's an HMO) it is incredible to not have to pay $$$ for something I/we take everyday.

That was actually a pretty good suggestion, about the purse and the note. Part of the problem (a big part) is that I don't have any kind of a regular schedule. It is a bit better now, but for the last couple of months, my sleep/wake cycle, my food intake, none of it was regular. Partly depression, partly meds, and partly not working or participating in life. So when I left the house without taking any, and without bringing it with me, it was simply because I wasn't really leaving the house for any length of time! Now there's bac in the car, in my purse, even in my wallet. Just in case. I felt like shit the days when I hadn't taken any all day long.

I took, at the suggestion of my pdoc, a personality test. (I know, I know. They're universally lame and whatever...) Generally I am very dismissive of such things. But I have to tell you, I found it very insightful. Disturbing, too. I didn't want to accede to the things it said were weaknesses. It was SO spot on, though, that I can't help but take it a little bit seriously. What's more, Ed took it, and he is also resistant to his answer, but when I read the description, I felt like it totally nailed my husband. I mean, it was kind of uncanny.

I'm only mentioning it here because I found some of the information really helpful. Not just about myself, in fact, less so about myself. But WOW, in terms of Ed, I feel like I have new insight that really helps me understand where he's coming from. And he agreed that it was insight he thought I knew, but I didn't.

Anyway, some of you might find it useful. There's a short version, which my pdoc was pretty dismissive of, and a long version that costs $12. The website is enneagram. I'm not going to link it, and I want to be TOTALLY CLEAR that I have NO investment in this thing. I just think it might be a useful tool. (I have two friends who have taken it, and their SOs also, and they all found it interesting and insightful. That said, we all agreed that it's not life altering. ha.)

Hope you guys are well. I am. Parents are coming this weekend to finish the work on the porch and yard. I'm very excited!

Comment

I tried to read that book, bleep. Wasn't working for me. I might get back to it though.

Comment

Love, love, love enneagram stuff. I find it so helpful to know what my strategies are and also someone elses. It helps me be more compassionate. And when I bump up against someone who I bristle with, being able to identify their type (some types are very obvious -- the 1 for example, or the 3) lets me keep my issues at a less personal level (if that makes sense). Ne -- are you an 8? Hard to tell online. I'm a counter phobic 6. Ok. Well that was fun.

As for me, I am drinking way too much again. I get reprieves in craving from all the drugs/hormones/exercise, and then I just smother all that goodness with a heavy dose of liquor. I need to to a long spell of no drinking at all. Dry my bitter self out. I am drinking because I am not very happy. I have started to try and are out my grievances with both my partner, and my ex whom I co-parent with. It's a little bumpy to say the least. And drinking eases the feeling of being really isolated. But it really only keeps me isolated. And right now I don't give a flying fuck. I just want to drink. What a whiney baby I am.

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend. I might not drink for a few days. But then again, I might.

Comment

I'm a four, Dun. I don't want to be a four, but man. I read the description and couldn't deny it.

Ed's a six which explains so much about everything.

Stuck, there really is such a thing as WAY too much information. And I'm not talking about the vodka. Sorry for that, though. Are you ready to get some help?

Comment

Sorry, Ne and everybody. Was going to delete that but then Fred quoted me.

And also sorry, but the only help I'm ready for is a liquor delivery service. It's drier than, well, than California in this apartment right now.

Comment

No worries, Stuck.

I'm really, really sorry and sad for where you are and all that's going on. Please be safe and come back soon.

Comment

Everyone read Reggie's post this morning? He said that there hasn't been a new member in 2 months. If that's true, that changes everything, at least from my perspective. It means I can actually actively ignore Spiritwolf's inane and insane posts because those of us who have been here for awhile already know the deal with his ignorant insistence that abstinence is a requirement for those of us who take baclofen. (Are you sure that's right, Reggie? I couldn't figure out how to find the info.)

In other words, we've got our own little forum here and the misinformation isn't going to be passed on to some poor newbie who actually read Ameisen's book and believed it to be correct and true. If one should happen to show up, we'll just have to make sure to clear up any misconceptions at that point. In the meantime, I feel much freer about posting when I can literally ignore Spiritwolf.

I also stopped supporting the site. For the first time in four years, I'm not paying to play. I just can't, in good conscience, pay for something that is really a shell of it's former self. I really wish Lo0p hadn't imploded, which he'd done (in my opinion) long before his life ended so tragically. If he had just agreed to separate himself/the online selling of drugs and the forum, it would have been a success. As it was, I, and others, couldn't get involved past helping set it up. Too much risk. But maybe that's all just wishful thinking anyway. I just remembered that Otter was a part of the Board of Directors (had there been such a thing) and there was no fucking way I was battling that cat day in and day out. ha. I figure you can appreciate the joke, tk. You guys that think Spirit's nuts have forgotten about Otter. lololol.

So things are good here. My shrink is so damn amazing, I can't wait to tell you guys about it. But I'm still limiting my online time, and that about does it for me today.

Also want to write about when my puppy overdosed on baclofen. Yes, you read that right. I am (or was) the worst puppy parent ever. Somehow I left some baclofen where she could get it and get it and eat it she did. She still lives. Still eats crap she has no business eating, but none of it has killed her yet. We call her Big Money, since her main claim to fame seems to be spending as much of our moolah as possible.

More soon.
                        xo

Comment

NE -I just do not think that you get or will ever get it (understand) and accept the fact most medications are not going to work if your 'real' motive is to continue drinking and your false motive is that you can outsmart the effects of alcohol.

NE, regretfully, you just happen to be a prime example of what I am talking about. For 5 years, you have been boldly exclaiming how wonderful Baclofen is and you still drink while taking the medication.

NE- are you seriously using yourself as an example of how well this protocol works for you?
                          To listen to your words and then observe your actions -as you write about them, has to cause one to wonder why they would ever take a medication like Baclofen.

You say that you drink against your will -right? The only thing that I can think of that would explain the irrational thought pattern is the fact that you are experiencing mental cravings that are completely unknown to you at the time.

NE - Hopefully others will read your posts and receive a better understanding of why quitting alcohol while taking medications (that are intended to help one quit drinking) might just be a good idea -5 years is a long time to take a medication to stop drinking and still drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie
                            Oh crap can you die ( I have never ever wished that on any one but you) you grate so much... can you just fuck off have the decency to do that..you help NO ONE you have single handly destroyed the meds thread .AHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im stabbing my self in the neck you are so fucking annoying
                            just FUCK OFF MORON
                            Again, a prime example of how harmful the effects and after effects can be to someone who drinks alcohol. I am quite certain that Reggie would not utter these words if he/she were in a good place in their own life right now.

Comment

To my fellow members and readers new to this site:

Recently, you may have read some extremely negative and abusive thoughts posted by others to others. This type of behavior -written and transmitted, is an example of just exactly why alcoholism is so destructive to families and organizations -worldwide.

Quite clearly, you can see people who are still drinking and suffering come to aid and rescue of others who are doing the same. This is just how it works. It is very sad to use them as an example of why quitting alcohol is a great idea -even if you have to suffer short term yourself to remove alcohol from your life.

Does anyone want to be on this site five years from now, exclaiming how great Baclofen is while you are still drinking and hurting? Only you can answer this -but this is the reality.

Comment

Reggie -I do not not drag anyone anywhere. Again, you are using the logic of a full fledged alcoholic. No one makes anyone do anything on this site. You are the one choosing to debate me regarding the continued use of drinking while trying to quit drinking. If this were not the case, you would not 'feel' so violated at the suggestion of quitting alcohol altogether.

You present the ultimate example of why and how alcohol destroys lives. I am very sorry that you are having to so desperately struggle thru your pain right now. I do hope that others read and understand (and take pity) for those who still suffer. Reggie, belittling and attacking me will NOT help you thru your struggles.

Comment

Working...
                                X