Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod Squad Weekly Thread December 1st

het Everyone,
    I thought I was doing so well, and tonight I 've had three strong Manhattens. I am definitelty buzzed and useless. I thought I wasn't going to do this anymore. G.B.
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hello fellow squaddies,

I did not abandon the squad - just was playing Miss Betty Crocker for most of last week while the girls were home. They are both independent in many ways, but when they are home all of their pent up "needs" seem to burst forth. Of course, I'm totally guilty here as I think I somehow enjoy, and in a twisted way - miss - being their Mom full time. So, I cook like a crazy Martha Stewart and play Mom for a few days. And, to be honest, I'm tired. Don't want to see the inside of a grocery store, and my kitchen is officially for decorative purposes only (at least until Christmas).

Did enjoy wine over the holiday, and the toughest part was that instead of a 2-day weekend, it was more like a 5-day weekend. I'll admit I'm thoroughly enjoying my AF night tonight. As much as holidays are a joy, it's also good to get back to the routine. And, for Lila, J-vo, and our dear Zed - I think we should recognize that holidays do test us - in more ways than AL. I ate dessert nearly every night which I rarely do. It was wine for 5 nights in a row which is way more than usual. There was gravy on the table and butter on the rolls. I watched movies instead of coming online and went to a craft store with my daughter rather than work the day after Thanksgiving. I think you're getting my drift here. The difference between then (pre-MWO) and now is that I recognize that this is all holiday excess and not a lifestyle or pattern. I picked up the pace of my walk this morning, have tossed out the leftover sweets, and don't have any wine in the house. I'll double up on my vegetables until I take off the roughly 3 pounds I gained, and will give my liver many AF days and extra water. I agree with Zed that we all have to pick up our straps - that is what "maintenance" is all about. Returning to restrictions once some boundaries have been pushed.

Enough about AL - it was a lovely holiday, and I hope everyone here has much to be grateful for. Zed, I know you have family in India - hope no one was hurt in Mumbai. What a terrible reminder that mankind can do some evil things. Have a terrific, if somewhat restricted, week everyone.

Vera-b

Comment

Boy, am I out of practice! Didn't pay attention and missed that there were 3 more pages to this thread - so sorry that I missed so many people. Welcome Renewal - remember you from the Newbies Nest. And Vlad and Miss Deebs, it's so good to be back in touch. After Thanksgiving, I really feel out of the loop, but will get back this week!

Vera-b

Comment

hi Vera - I am glad you are back. Have you read the Mood Cure? Butter is good for you, according to her! I will go along with that. Mmmmm! Butter and coconut milk. My favorite fats. LOVE alhouse full of kids. I love a long, lazy vacation in the house with the kids.
          GettingBetter, well, we are all confessing a bunch here. Are you taking Kudzu or L-glut. Like Ducky said, a lot of us have to get back on track.
          I am doing better mentally. Have been logging time in front of my lightbox, and decided to turn the heat all the way up to 68 degrees when I am home. I feel MUCH better when I am not shivering.
          Good night Modders!
          Lila

Comment

Hi modders!

My I have missed a lot! I have been sick for a few days. Just a cold, but not really doing much other than staying warm and not going near my computer. My computer is in my office so it kind of makes me think of work. So if I'm not feeling well, I don't really want to even think of work. But today was a busy day so just now checking in and my goodness... 4 pages of posting already! Wow!

Welcome renewal, please stick around and read and post a while.

DeeBee, I like what you said about not drinking 2 days in a row. I think in general that is a good rule. I also think like Vera was saying that during holidays and maybe on vacations, etc, it might require some bending. I don't know, I'm still trying to figure it out too. I had my 2 glasses of wine on Thanksgiving. The day after being hubby's b-day, had we gone out to dinner, I do think I would have had 1 or 2 glasses of wine. As it turned out, we stayed home and we didn't drink. And that was a good choice, I didn't have to drink just because it was a "special" day. So I feel good about that.

Back to Vera, I really resonated with your holiday analogies. The eating, drinking, desserting, and generally overindulging goes along with it. We don't do that all the time. We don't beat ourselves up for having 3 pieces of pie on Thanksgiving, one of each kind, or pie for 3 days in a row. But we don't (hopefully) keep eating pie that way every day throughout the rest of our lives.

Sun, I don't think everyone here is struggling. I think that there are others on this thread who are successfully moderating. So far, I think that I am doing well. But I do give you kudos for doing this without the assistance of supplements or medications as I am. I believe that the hypno cd's have given me an incredible advantage as well. I feel that my state of mind for the whole program was that I want this to work for me and that I believe that I can successfully moderate. I was highly motivated from the start and still am. I think the hypnosis works as much as you want it to work. I think I have gone very deeply into it at times and really broken through to some good stuff at times. I hope I'm not jinxing myself (touch wood).

I forget now who asked what kind of yoga I do? I do a form of hatha yoga. And occasionally kundalini. The studio I practice at has a variety of classes for different levels. There is a class that I really like for toning. One that I enjoy that is much more meditative, etc. I have my ebbs and flows with how often I go. But I always try to work stretches in each evening or throughout the day if i have been in a position too long (like at the computer). I try to take some time out each day for some meditative breathing. I don't know if I've mentioned this before. But it is something that has impressed me about Indian people. I am in people's homes every day as part of my job, either for sales or refinance. Here is what strikes me about the Indian people that without fail in their homes they have a designated area in their home for prayer. It may be an entire bedroom, a walk-in closet, a part of an unfinished basement sectioned off and set up with blankets and curtains. But I can say without exception, every Indian home I have been in has a designated prayer space. No other cultures of homes I have been in have this. Christian homes may or may not have articles displayed that give clues of their religion. Other cultures may or may not have symbols displayed as well. But this impresses me every time I see it. For me it indicates a commitment that perhaps our western culture as a whole doesn't have. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that as individuals we aren't committed to our faith or religion, I said culture. I'm curious how other's see that? I thought I would share that.

Zed, glad to hear you are doing well. Please tell me about your new avatar. What is the meaning of this symbol?

I'll catch up more later,
            periwinkle
            Even baby mountain goats must learn to tackle the smallest mountains first. sigpic

Comment

Lila;482731 wrote: hi all
              Vlad - post a 6? Drinktracker? Today's a new day!
              It was a while back, about 12th Nov - guess I haven't let go of that mistake.
              Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

j-vo;482927 wrote:
                Vlad - I'm all for a sensible December. Quite frankly, I can't remember when I did have sensible one. I'd love to enjoy it which, because of my social issues, it's always been a difficult time of year for me. My post on the DT was pretty sad! Gosh, can you imagine that DT if we weren't trying to mod!!??
                Yeah, mine'd go something like:

2, 9, 3, 10, 2, 13, 0
                Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

gettingbetter;482988 wrote: het Everyone,
                  I thought I was doing so well, and tonight I 've had three strong Manhattens. I am definitelty buzzed and useless. I thought I wasn't going to do this anymore. G.B.
                  GB - Think a number of us have had our little slips, don't think I've quite let go of the fact I had all those large vodkas on 12th Nov. Think we need to learn to pick ourselves up and move on. I don't think of it as a major slip, my last one of those was Nov 2007, many people on here know this story already, I was in Poland and started drinking around 3.00pm, had many beers (don't know the number) and then 2 of the largest straight vodkas you've ever seen, even the barman said, 'Are you sure?' when they were asked for. I was so drunk playing pool was a complete waste of time and for some reason some Poles thought I was there to check their documents - was so drunk I couldn't speak so just went along with it. At 2.00pm went back to the hotel in a taxi. When I got out of the taxi I couldn't walk and hubby had to drag me back to the hotel door. Very embarrassing.

Which reminds me... drinktracker.

Comment

Well,
                    I'm awake at 4 am, and paying for drinking beyond my limits last night. Funny, I made it through Thanksgiving and the surrounding days with moderate drinking, then broke my rules last night. I'm unduly stressed about the day ahead...

Periwinkle, good to point out that not everyone is struggling. Glad you are doing so well! I sure thought I was doing well, and then I had the three drinks (hard liquor, didn't measure it) last night. I haven't been taking the supps and I can't seem to find time to listen to the cds. But truth be told, that's because I often volunteer for more than I should, and don't make time for myself. I'm going to work on that. I'm remembering now that moderation takes a least as much work as abstinence to maintain it.

I'd almost forgotten about alcohol induced insomnia, and here it is again to remind me of why I can't break my rules. Maybe the "only red wine and beer" rule seems silly, but since I never seem to want more than one or two, (okay, three, tops, on the red wine) and it is predictable for me, it seems safer.

Well,I'm going to try and sleep now. I'll put on the headphones with "sleep learning", and block out hubby's loud snoring.
                    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Deebers, I can see you - what you doing?

Comment

Crumbs the heat wave has finally arrived and DB has wilted!!
                        I've read throught the thread twice now and just can't maintain any sort of focus to reply properly lol.

Wanted to extend a warm welcome to Renewal -- you helped me enormously on the "newbies" thread and I was sad to see you leave.

Stick around, this is a great bunch of peeps who are so supportive.

Hi all, I need to cool off for a while.
                        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Bugger, you busted me Vladster!!

I'm too bliming hot to think straight -- waiting for the heavens to open before I think about thinking:-0
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Ha ha, we have snow here - I am wearing my ushanka to wind the boss up. Another colleague is wearing the boss's step son's hat.

Comment

vlad;483232 wrote: Ha ha, we have snow here - I am wearing my ushanka to wind the boss up. Another colleague is wearing the boss's step son's hat.
                              what is a ushanka -- sounds like something I definetly want:H

Comment

Not if you're hot! It's a furry hat.

Comment

Working...
                                X