Mod Squad Weekly Thread 8th December

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome home dear Zed! We all missed you. Since you've been gone, we've welcomed Kid to give you guys a greater voice (that, and he's got some wonderful posts - more in a minute). Now if Renewal comes back, the men will be an entire chorus.

Yes, Kid, I remember the Mod Squad. I think that's who Vlad was thinking of when she started this weekly thread. I always wanted to be Peggy Lipton (guess that was my only choice unless I was going to cross gender). Your post on holiday parties and the gentleman who's been sober for 16 years was most interesting. I love to listen to Imus every morning, and I totally respect his sobriety. Though reading the entire article makes me wonder if true modding is possible (given all the brain patterns, etc.), or are we deluding ourselves? I've been modding for about 4 months pretty successfully, but then ask me in 2 or 5 or 10 years. Dunno. Stay tuned.

Deebs, talked to the car repair shop, and there's a whole clan of mice living in my daugher's car!! She lives in the city and parks her car here, so we just didn't take it out that much. Well, they're now toying with getting an exterminator to get the mice out before they repair the damage. Oh boy. This is the most interesting car repair we've every seen. Once cleaned out, we'll be driving that bugger everywhere. Don't want it to become the comfortable pad for any other animals.

Sun, Vera Bradley is not a cosmetic. It's handbags, totes, etc. They're sold by retailers - usually smaller boutiques - that agree to carry the line. They're not cheap, but they're not in the league of Prada or Coach.

Welcome keep walking - I, too, made the Johnnie Walker connection (how weird is that?). I think sites such as this are all about learning, just in an adult, compassionate and respectful way. As I learned after reading last week's thread, we have so much to learn from each other.

Getting late - will talk to eveyone tomorrow. Vlad, I keep thinking about you. Know that you're struggling to find some equilibrium. With the holidays upon us, there's even more a challenge. I do admire how you're putting your experience up to the light to see what it reveals. Oh, that there was one quick answer . . .

Vera-b

Comment

Hey gang! After two invites, I decided that I couldn't refuse! I'm still feeling things out, but think that this is where I need to land. I've been willing off a glass of wine all evening...none last night....progress?

Comment

Zed, the Middle Kingdom is China (at least I think that's the translation). Are you Indian, living in China?

Comment

Chacha, one glass is good. I am taking it real easy tonight, even better than last night, and I am pretty sure I will be clearheaded for a long intense day at work tomorrow. And no remorse!

Comment

Welcome Chacha..

At least YOU were invited, I just kinda crashed the party. Speaking of party; this thread is hoppin' now isn't it (well, sort of a limping, dragging one foot kind of hop)??
            What is your "plan" for modding Chacha, or do you play it by ear?
            ~Kid~
            It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that brings us happiness.
            ~ Charles Spurgeon

Comment

Hey Everyone! Welcome back Zed! Did you see my husband in Singapore? He said he feels like an ugly American, and that when he laughed out loud it was the loudest sound he'd heard in all of Singapore...Maybe you heard it, too... He's going to Beijing on Thursday.

Kid, you were so nice to go in on a pact when you had plans to take the missus out!!! Yes, I've abstained today...Going to work makes it easier, since I get home late. I only work at night one day a week, though...Tomorrow may be harder. I think we could make pacts here, right squad? I stole that "I won't drink today because..." thread from SMART, as I'm sure you know...I always liked it there. Some days when I'm too busy to post much else, it helps to just post a reason not to drink.

I liked the NY Times article...Interesting. Vera, I suspect almost all of us wonder at times if we are deluding ourselves by doing the moderation thing...I don't intend to try it indefinitely...I mean, if I find I have multiple episodes of over-doing it, I know I'll have to face the music. But it feels right, and I feel hopeful. I am so much less preoccupied with drinking now that I'm telling myself I can do it a little. When I was trying to abstain with a vague sense that it had to be forever to really be successful, I felt overwhelmed, and I fought with myself all the time. I couldn't accept that it was necessary, so I kept struggling with the idea. I can easily accept that it is necessary to be keenly conscious of my drinking limits. For the rest of my life.

Hey Kid, you say, "One, then I'm done.." Maybe I'll say, "Two, then I'm through..."

Hey Chacha and Keepwalking...Welcome. Yes, Chacha, sounds like progress to me! Keepwalking, glad you walked over from SMART...It's a regular mutiny here! (No disrespect to SMART intended...It's a great place for a lot of people.)

Vlad, I agree with the others about planning, and yet I can relate to your fear. The problem I've sometimes faced is that of "failing" at a plan, and then throwing in the towel. You know? That, "well, I already broke my plan, might as well have another" way of thinking. So, maybe it's good to have a plan for what to do if we break a plan....Like STOP drinking the moment our rational mind/sober voice makes a peep. Of course it's better to stick with the plan, so maybe I'm rationalizing...Anyway, a good plan should be do-able. I like to plan on some other treat of a (non-alcoholic) drink, or my favorite healthy but yummy snack, Fage yogurt with pecans and blueberries... for after I've had my two glasses of wine. I also like to "plan" on going home, and to bed, sober. I visualize getting in my comfy bed, clear headed, and reading or watching TV...Or coming here to say, "I'm home...I did it!" Just a thought.

Ducky, Sunbeam, Vera, Periwinke, anyone else I missed because I'm really bad at remembering each post, and I'm scared that if I scroll back to look, the post I'm writing will get erased, goodnight, and stay strong!
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi Modders!
                Boxer Boy! So nice to hear from you! I was really in "my stuff" this weekend, and wanted some of that fab spiritual insight from you. You sound very well, but yikes, Bombay! Very sad and scary. Zed, do you mind me asking, what do you know/think about Sharmila, the Indian woman being force fed and in prison? Just wondering.
                Kid, I will just say that on this forum, probably due to the clientelle, people get attacked, often out of nowhere. Someone attacked wip, she felt very hurt and like this may not be a good place for her, but maybe because of popular demand, she is back! Lots of us are very happy to see her back. Nasty posts here are a problem, and the debate about whether to moderate, or to let this board run free was the subject of a long thread in generals.
                Sunbeam, makeup is very important to me. Very! I get Bare Minerals makeup in Medium Beige, you don't have to get the starter kit. I love that store, Ulta. I don't know if you have one where you are. I do not know how L'Oreal mineral makeup is. If you do get Bare Minerals, don't get the Finishing Veil, it is just more money, and it has corn starch which will cause your pores to clog and get breakouts. Hmmm, it is not that cheap, I guess. I really have no business buying it. I just have very sensitive skin, andit feels like there is nothing on. There probably is cheaper brands of mineral makeup. (Ugh...swimming! I am so cold now that it is winter, but I really admire that you are working out. I am working to that.)
                KeepWalking, yes, this is the place to be! We ARE the Mod Squad!
                Chacha, CSO4, are you both joing us? Welcome, I have talked to you in chat, CS!
                Hi Vlad and Vera!
                anyone else I didn't mention - sorry, I am confused by all these new posts that popped up here all of a sudden!
                Lila

Comment

I'm back with hugs for everyone

Hi Gang,
                  As many of you know our trip to Bangkok didn't happen so we came up with plan B and went to Bali. For those of you who have read "Eat, Love, Pray" we did make it a point to meet Ketut the palm reader and Wayan the holistic healer. Very spiritual country with beautiful, respectful people.
                  We didn't make it to the orphanage we wanted to visit but are going to support a balinese child to go to school as many families are so poor, can't afford schooling and the children remain in the cycle of poverty. If you can imagine most people live on about $60 a month!

Welcome to our newcomers. Some wonderful posts. To introduce who I am to you look at the upper right hand corner of my post and click on blog where I've blogged info on my sad history with drinking.

I am moderating o.k. Have had a few episodes of having more than I wanted to in a night's drinking so my goals and plans for myself have shifted and seem to continually shift. Can't say I've found my way yet but I do like the idea that I can drink if I want to and for the most part that hasn't been a problem with stopping at 2 (usually), sometimes 1, sometimes AF and on rare occasions 3 or a touch more. I'm trying to get out of the "It's the week-end, I can have a drink phase). Working on just trying to think "It's the week-end, yeah!! Time for fun or getting things done, etc. and if a drink happens along on a dinner date night with hubby then it happens but it's not my happiness for the fact that it's Friday or Saturday.
                  Looking forward to getting back into the groove with the mod squad and our new members.
                  Hugs to everyone. Good to be back!
                  Eve11
                  "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi all, and welcome back Zed and Eve!

Just a quick hello and will post more later. Off to get a boob a gram (sorry guys!) this morning. Then some editing to start. Hope all are well and BBL.

Comment

Hello Squad,

I have my happy face on today -- don't know what was up yesterday but I was in a total funk all day. I haven't had a chance to read the thread but I saw many of us on line Kid, GB and little bro.... how are you all doing?
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

good morning
                        Hi Eve, I was wondering about you. I would like to hear more about your trip, if you want to write more.
                        Hi Deebs, do you mean you are happy or just acting your best? Hope you are doing well. Well, feelings come up, don't I know it.
                        Ducky, what is boob a gram???
                        I am going to make myself some coffee now. To all you modders, and new people here, good morning and again, welcome.
                        Lila

Comment

WELCOME CHACHA!!

CS -- How are you???????

Sun, I loved the way you describe coming here to post as speaking your thoughts -- I think that is really what we are all doing. For me personally I kinda bottle up my emotions and don't speak about it if something is bothering me... here I compose my thoughts and communicate with everyone here which is a bit like keeping a jounal. It has been one of the healthiest addictions I have had!!
                          On the gardening side, yip I would love to grow organic vegetables, fruit and herbs then pack boxes with a little bit of everything that is in season (with a recipe card) and deliver it door to door for a small amount. Thanks for the advice -- I am definetly going to get some questions together to ask you. Where I live is about 15 minutes from the sea but at the top of a hill so I have LOTS of rain, mist and sun. Ooooh I can't wait to get started now.

Hi Keepwalking, I joined SMART last month sometime but was quite overwhelmed trying to figure my way around a new site all over again so didn't get very far. After Wip left I went back and read some posts and it looks like people don't post as frequently as we do here, and yes like Kid mentioned they don't seem to tolerate modding on any level so that kinda rules it out for me. Stick with us, we are in this together -- put your hand up if you are feeling lost or just need a cyber hug, k.

Zed, I missed you! Come on, tell us about your weekend!!

Renewal, are you out there -- hope you are doing well -- come say hi when you feel like it.

Vera, oh NO dead mice - that must honk to high heaven. We had a dead rat outside our house once and I nearly hurled with the stink.

Hi Lila, today I am happy, in a great mood. I can't figure out why, today is no different to yesterday -- I still have the same financial issues, the same deadlines etc but I just feel productive today.

Ducky, I am wetting myself laughing here - a BOOB-A-GRAM! Too funny! I hope it's routine and nothing to worry about?

Welcome back Eve. You holiday sounds just awesome -- I am still slightly green with envy but I am pleased you ended up in Bali away from all the chaos.
                          "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

...............so..........

wow. I just spent the last 2 frciking hours catching up. From 7-odd pages back on last week's thread. Omg. a lot happened ha? well, first thing's first kids

hold on..

Comment

Hi DeeBee and glad you are feeling better today.
                              Lila, a mammogram! I was just being silly. And it is routine. I have always had one yearly but especially careful because a good friend was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer last year. She is doing well but the therapy was awful...

Comment

F*# ME. I just wrote a LONG post and lost it Yowzer (right, Sun..) Sorry for my bad language. I apologize profusely.

Ok, will have to get to bed and write again later.

In a nutshell:

- you all rock

- Kid, you are a VERY special person. So happy to have you here. Stay with us... And thank you for your wisdom already.

- Jamms, you cannot go and come. it's not fair. unless you want to go and come. in which case it's perfectly fine.

- KeepWalking - good girl. Hope to get to know you really well, but from what I have seen, you are someone I can learn a lot from already. So thank you...

- DB - my little sister. I missed you.

_ Peri - maybe one of these lifetimes, you and I will meet and be married. Or maybe we already have. I share a special connecting with you.

- Lila - you are the most special of us all. I bow down low to you. Anyone who feels so much is truly blessed and special. I wish you all the strength you need to walk with the weight you shoulder... the universe has given you this because you can manage it. I feel this about you.

- J-vo - not much from you dear, recently. All well I hope.

- Sun... sun....sun...sun....... someone SO damn beautiful. and SO strong. We are all jealous that we do not really know you, in real life. as you would be the inspiration that we all need.

- Vera-B. Big kiss... fashionista I am smiling so hard right this moment.

- St J... for all of you who were here the last time I was...and who left.. or are taking a break from being here on this site... your struggles continue, just as each of ours do... and we respect each of you for your brave journeys

- Eve... my dear. You were here. Not so far. Bali feels like.. close by. A hindu kingdom. That's funny. I am not hindu, in case you're wondering. I am Indian yes, but not hindu. Well, I am, but I am also.... a christian, a muslim.. a buddhist... I am so many things. and what's the difference anyway? Gosh it's a long story.

As always i feel like I've missed someone. Someone important.

All I can say to redeem myself, is that i wrote a long post, and lost it. And now I am re-writing, off the cuff. It's late.

VLAD. Hear you girl. You and me. We are in the same boat. We both struggle big time.

I am so damn well. But then again...

tomorrow I have to give a speech in front of 100 people. I do not know what I am going to say. A day in the life... We can get used to anything after a point. I am a man from the tropics, living here, in the temperate region...

Someone's from OH. Someone very smart... asked if I was living in China, but was from India... someone from Ohio.... you got it. And I used to live in Ohio too... to confuse matters even more.

Chacha... welcome.

I love confusion. I am to be a water buffalo. Lilac thinks she wouldn't mind being a turtle. Peri, a well-taken care of dog... someone said they would expect to be a bird.. an eagle?

And Ms DB... you said.. a Sail fish.

Yes.

You will be a Sail fish.

And you will be a beautiful sailfish. Just as you are a beautiful human woman in this lifetime. Your daughter... Ingido Child. Ritalin. I had a great friend who was on that. I used to take it too..just to stay awake.. ha.

Lilac, my avatar is of a young man sitting against the wall, in dappled sunlight... begging... his sign says, "I don't want your coins. I WANT CHANGE." It's a piece of graffiti art by the great Banksy. My favourite living artist.

Anyway, the point is...

It's late.

I had a bit to drink. I didn't think, I didn't think.. (that's from my fav REM song.. called "Half A World Away") My song

Goodnight my lovelies. Moderation... doing that. But...

..I'll get to that tomorrow.

Z

Comment

Working...
                                X