Mod Squad Febuary Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi DeeBee! What's the time difference between you and us, do you know? It's always nice to get up at 6 am and see that you've already posted. I'm glad you're being careful in the heat. How sad about the news reports! It's very wintry here in Massachusetts. We're expecting snow today.

I've got a bad cold, and am going to try and have a little rest-in-bed time today. Hope everyone else is doing well. :heart:
    "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

logged a big fat zero for last night on the DT. my plan was actually to allow myself 1.5 last night, but once i got back from my son's swim practice it was already 630p so i started cooking dinner. i struggled with myself, should i or shouldn't i, and i remembered mg's words. that i needed to regroup after having that "extra" one on friday night. So, i decided to just skip it. had a nice pellegrino instead. i was right proud of myself. course, we'll see what happens tonight.

It was so nice to be able to stay up and work on my necklaces without being tired and needing to go to sleep(even one glass of wine makes me non-productive too mg).

seems like we're all heading in the right direction.

oh, and sara what a great idea about your "remember" charm. I'd love to see a picture of it! I am sort of a folk artist necklace maker

Comment

Sarasmiles;810775 wrote: Hi DeeBee! What's the time difference between you and us, do you know? It's always nice to get up at 6 am and see that you've already posted.
        I just checked the world clock and you are 7 hours behind me Sara.

Get better soon:h
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi everyone,
          Sara, I have a friend who makes jewelry and I bought a bracelet from her that says "Be mindful". I apply it to myself the same way you do with your necklace so we're twins in that respect. I love it as well as look at it and focus on the message, esp. during drinking times.

You put a lot of thought into your last post. I had a real bad incident in the past too where I got too drunk and acted really stupid in front of my hubby and one son. I too felt so strong also about never being that drunk and stupid again. Although my modding hasn't been a complete success I've never gotten that low again. It was kind of my wake up call too and in my heart I felt the same way...that I would definitely have to quit completely if behavior like that ever happened again.

We had and will have week-day functions this week that will include drinking a glass or two. I will have to work hard on not overdoing it on the week-end then so I can stay within my 7 drinks per week limit. That will be my challenge this week.

mg, glad you posted again and are in the groove with us.

Vlad, you are sounding stronger than you've ever been. Did you get some good AF time under your belt? What's your secret for better success this time around...please share as our newbies could benefit.

Hi to all!!
          :l
          Eve11
          "Control your destiny or somebody else will"

~Jack Welsh~:h

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Sara and Eve,

I think your necklace and bracelete ideas are great. I need some consntant reminder too, for now, I'll keep reading Sara's poem which I find powerful and beautiful

DeeBee and mg, thank you for your encouraging words, but, eventhough I feel great about being AF (today is my 10th day) I dont really see it as success yet. Success will be if I manage to keep my drinking under control once I have another drink (probably on Thursday). I like coming here everyday, reading your posts, learning from your experinces, etc. It encourages me so much that im feeling positive about Thursday. I know that I make a big deal out of a simple dinner, but since this is my first moth, any occation is still a huge challenge. im hoping once I gain control and experince, that would come more naturally and wont have to worry so much. By the way, this has been an amazing month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I neer thought I would've gone so far!! Im really, really, really gratefull I found all of you!!!!

Comment

Maia, that's so great to hear!! You sound wonderful. Thursday will be a good chance to test your wings, knowing we're here for you and cheering you on. Maybe you can bring some kind of reminder to your dinner that night...A post you liked, in your pocket, or a photo of your kids (?) My little necklace is nothing fancy...I got it for about 5.00 at the Hallmark store! If you have one of those nearby, I bet you could pick one up.

I had some kind of anxious thoughts today, wondering about how I will use MWO as time goes on. I feel so at home with the Mod Squad, but have wondered what I would do if I did decide to be AF long term. I guess I could join an AF thread, but I would miss my friends here! I also feel a funny disconnect with a lot of the people who've decided to be AF for good. It seems as though many of them (though not all, I'm sure) have hit a "rock bottom" that I've never hit. Since my drinking has not been as chronically or dramatically damaging, I'm not sure I'd feel I could fit in. But if I decide not to drink, I don't know how I'll handle the talk about moderating here ... the planning for drinking occasions and so on. Well, one day at a time, I guess! I don't want to let go of this safe haven where I feel understood and known.

I'm at work and have a client to see...Must sign off. Best to all. Sara
              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Morning Modders!

I managed a lovely loooong walk this morning whilst the hubby took the daughter off to the bus stop for me so I feel like I've stocked up on my endorphins for the day, which is just as well because PMS is knocking on the door.
                We are going away this weekend with my best friend and her hubby so I'm looking forward to some much needed QT with the family. Can't remember when last it was just the three of us.

Sara, I can understand you feeling anxious about how the Mod Squad will fit into your life if you choose to abstain from AL -- If you felt that you'd rather not post here anymore, I respect that but would love to stay in touch with you either by e-mail or FB or we could even create another thread which could be purely social and no drinking would be discussed... just remember YOU are important to us!!

Happy Hump Day friends:-)
                "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

DeeBee;811394 wrote:

we could create a thread which could be purely social and no drinking would be discussed... just remember YOU are important to us!!
                  DeeBee,

That's an excellent idea especially when some newbies are scared away from joining us because people who've been here a long time do sound cliquish as we know families names, interests, etc.

Being it was your idea think about creating it. I would post it in the long term mod section and call it Chat Club or something like that. On the heading we could explain it was a thread purely for those modding or abstaining to post socially so those looking for help with discussing drinking should go to the long term monthly section where they'll get all of the support they need or the AF thread (think you know better which one to refer them to as you visit those more than me) or something like that. What do you think?

Eve11

God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it's me. ~Author unknown, :thumbs:

Comment

Hi Everybody,
                    Sara, the Mods section is your home and mine too. I think it is great to talk about not drinking here. Knowing how to not drink I believe is the key to successful moderate drinking. I took my own advice (to you) and tried posting in the Monthly Abstinence section in January, and I really felt out of place. It made me realize how different the mods group is in our drinking history from those who go AF. I couldn't identify at all with people struggling through day 1,2,3..., since most of my days are already AF. They couldn't identify with me either, though some tried to be nice and listen. I think it would be helpful to the group if we more often posted our success with not drinking. There seems to be a trend in our group toward drinking less, so I feel more at home here than ever, even though in the past I have been the one who drinks the least. Someone could start that separate thread, but I'm not sure it would serve any purpose. Would we then discourage posting social info on the main thread? The group is already pretty small, and I'm thinking it would end up more fragmented. My perception is that most people like us don't come to this web site. There aren't a lot of people out there who would post here if only.... Just my thoughts.
                    My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Great thoughts Sunbeam

Sunbeam;811585 wrote: I think it would be helpful to the group if we more often posted our success with not drinking. There seems to be a trend in our group toward drinking less, so I feel more at home here than ever, even though in the past I have been the one who drinks the least.

Someone could start that separate thread, but I'm not sure it would serve any purpose. Would we then discourage posting social info on the main thread? The group is already pretty small, and I'm thinking it would end up more fragmented

Just my thoughts.
                      Great thoughts Sunbeam! That's why I didn't send a p.m. as I wanted input from others.

As I think about it, the separate thread probably isn't the best plan. Then people would feel nervous to post about personal info on the monthly thread that we post daily on or could feel bad about posting about drinking on the chat thread. So, we'll leave well enough alone. Sara knows she can always come and visit if she decides to go AF.

DeeBee has it down pretty well where she jumps around on a lot of threads and seems to have made friends everywhere. What's the secret Deebs? Just DO it!?

Yes, there has been a trend toward less drinking for folks here and I'm glad about that.

Well, those are my thoughts for the day. Will have an AF night tonight but going to a charity event tomorrow so will likely have 1 or 2. Plan to be AF Friday then so I'm not going over my weekly limit. Prefer to be 4-5 for the week but the events this week will put me at the max for NIAAA's standards. Oh well, 7 a week is still considered moderate so not bad.

Take care all and will post again soon.
                      Eve11

Comment

Hi Sara,

I would feel very sad if you left this thread! As I mentioned in my last post, i am very greatful I found all of you. It makes me sad to think that any of you would leave. Sara, you have been so helpful and inspiring that I would definetely miss you. I know you all know each other for a while, you count on each other, you know each other's history atc. I am new here so I dont have that yet. But I tell you that even though it has only been a month (less) I cannot express in words how much all of you mean to me and how you have helped me in a way that I couldnt have done alone. I was drowning and I feel great today. I know there is sooooooooooo much work for me to do, and that's why it is scary for me to think that others will leave this place, this month was enough time for me to realize that I need you guys to do this! feeling understood, knowing that there are others going through the same as me, and sharing our thoughts and experices has been an amazing therapy for me! I've never been to therapy, and im not a very open person when it comes to feelings and deep things, so what I do here everyday is pretty new to me......

Sara, if your decision is to go AF i respect it and admire it, but i would love to keep in touch with you, hopefully through this threat which is pretty much I know here in MWO.

Im not drinking tonight! 12 nights in a row....

Comment

Oh Maia, I am so touched by your words. You're important to me too!! I have been thinking more about this today, and your post confirms my thoughts. It's the relationships that help me here. There's lots of good advice all over the site, but it's really feeling like part of a little family that helps the most. So I don't know that it matters that much what our goals are at any given time. After all, any one of us could potentially decide to go AF long term. And like Sunbeam, I don't feel I can relate to the struggles of "day one" or "day two" either. I think that whatever I decide to do as the days or months go by, you are the people I feel safest talking it over with. So thank you all for understanding my concerns about where I will belong if I become an "abber" instead of a "modder". And thank you also for reminding me, each in your own ways, that this is home.

The other problem with trying to migrate to an AF thread is that there's pretty much only one right answer there. If I need to struggle through a decision about drinking, I don't think I can do it if I'm being repeatedly told that the only healthy choice is to commit to abstinence forever. I won't do that because someone else advises it. I'll only do it if I feel in my heart that it's what I need and want. So I think I can best figure that out with the support of the people I trust and feel safe with here at the Mod Squad.

So...Anyway. Eve, you've been sounding so good, and seem to be interspersing AF days with minimal drinks days in a way that's working. Are the AF days hard now, or not?

DeeBee, sounds like a lovely weekend ahead. I would love to be someplace warm and sunny for a few days. It rained a cold rain all day here today.

Hello to Mg, Vlad, Letgo and all other modders and lurkers! Take good care everyone.
                          Sara

Comment

Morning Mods,
                            The last two days have been difficult ones. My 93 year old mother fell in her retirement home apartment, laid on floor for three hours before being discovered, had surgery yesterday to repair broken bones and is now recuperating. We will have to see how far she can come back.

I will write tomorrow when things slow down a little. There are several subjects written about that I want to comment on.

Comment

I'm so sorry to here about your mother, Mg. Aging is so hard.

Maia, good luck with your dinner tonight.

I'm still feeling a bit crummy with this cold, and have no desire to drink, for which I'm grateful. I'm at work, but wanted to pop in. Have a great day everyone.

Comment

Hi Everybody,
                                MG72, so sorry about your mom. In some ways I am forturnate that my parents died younger (heart attack & cancer) instead of my having to watch them grow frail.

Maia, good luck with your event. I think that stopping at one drink is the perfect amount. Not that I'm good at doing that. But the second is never as good as the first, and I usually regret the third. So this is just food for thought.

A big snow storm is approaching, and I'm hoping for a day off tomorrow to catch up.
                                My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Working...
                                X