September Mod Squad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

September Mod Squad

LG I did it for about a year, I also used a weight loss tracking website/application called My fitness Pal - which I loved. After the loss I was able to maintain with just good diet and excersise, but in the past 6 months I really let it go and have put back on some pounds, really plan to get back to it.... Maybe a goal for me to start back up next Monday morning....

Thanks for the advice about not thinking about it, it really makes sense to me and going to try and follow....
    And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hello, Everyone...

Just a quick note to say hi.

LG, glad being back at work is going smoothly.

TMH, as usual I feel virtuous simply reading about your exercise regime...thank you!

D, your experience on the subway sure would have freaked me out...wow! Congrats on your AF time.

Lila, good luck with the job...I am rooting for you! V, glad to hear you are doing OK, too.

Today we went to Grandparent's Day at our grandson's elementary school, which was lots of fun...last nite we went out to dinner with the great-grandparents, tonite we are going out to eat again with our youngest daughter and her friend...so the hostessing duties have not been too onerous! Also, eating out keeps my AL temptation to a manageable minimum, which makes my life easier.

Happy second week of September to us all! FF
      . "It is only with the heart that one can see clearly; that which is essential, is invisible to the eye.". Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hey LG - Just read this thread and thought it might interest you:
        https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...ift-67963.html

(not sure about the link thing so if not it's under Just starting out titled paradigm -shift)
        And it's hard to dance with a devil on your back so shake him off ~ Florence and the Machine

Comment

September Mod Squad

I'm going to click on that as soon as I finish posting, V. I bet it has something to do with weight loss. I hope so! Thank you.

Had a difficult time abstaining today...that is, I had a hard time not stopping for AL on the way home. I had told myself it was ok to get something and had actually researched some low cal alternatives...was salivating at the thought, lol. However, I talked myself out of it and did not stop. I'm not sure what triggered the cravings so badly...maybe thinking about dieting and deprivation. I don't know, but I was thinking how terribly bored I was going to be at home without it...Will have to work through this.

Was AF yesterday and had about 2 on Sat...with no problems. Hits when you least expect it.

"I like people too much or not at all."
          Sylvia Plath

Comment

September Mod Squad

hi all -
            thanks for all your encouragement! Work is strange, but just trying to stay professional and look competent!
            Dave that is so impressive!
            V - yes, I used My Fitness Pal for awhile, I also recommend it.
            F - that is great, kids really need that. With me being a single parent, my kids really developed good relationships with my mom as well. I plan on being a good grandparent, so much easier!
            LG, I really know what you mean. Are you on ADs ? I am, and I may stop taking them now that certain major stressors in my life are gone. They make you crave carbs, and some people on the boards say it increased their drinking.
            TMH, you too? As I said, I get it from iTunes, right away after an episode is released.
            I have been so exhausted lately, I am going to have my thyroid tested again, I have hypothyroid, maybe it is getting worse? I take meds already for it That is another thing about ADs, I read it can interfere with the thyroid absorption. Thoughts anyone? Are they lifesavers or bad news?
            well, another Monday! survived it!
            L

Comment

September Mod Squad

I'm not on AD's Lila. I quit taking them abruptly last year. I feel like I need them though, lol. I do crave carbs and sugar, and I just downloaded a book onto my Kindle that was recommended in the thread V posted above. I'm hoping it has some answers. I need to start taking my L-Glut religiously. I haven't taken any in over a month...also need to be taking Amoryn, which is a natural AD, and which I bought and don't take regularly because I forget. No excuses.

Sylvia Plath

Comment

September Mod Squad

Lila my younger sis the baby of the family, now 34.... Has always been this stick 90lbs soaking wet she had been on and off various Ad's and has a serious drinking problem in recent years she has been diagnosed with thyroid issues but recently had all her meds adjusted and blew up like a balloon for the first time in her life sorry I don't have more details but I do think there is some relation to it all....

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hi, Modders.

I hope everyone is well today. I'm in a unique mood, not quite sure what it is, but it's more optimistic than I've been lately. Maybe it's the book I'm reading (that I gave to wifey for her birthday last month, the first installment of our book club) Manifesting Change by Mike Dooley. Have to read the first two chapters, just finished chapter one after the preface and introduction were so long! I'm much more into Demille, Patterson, etc. than these existential books, but sometimes these do me good. This one is all about creating a life you want and living into that possibility.

I was thinking earlier about my journey, being AF yet feeling more comfortable with the modders, etc. It's funny, but I'm pretty sure I'm going to go a while longer without trying to moderate, because of my fear of failure. I know I can't afford to let my kids down by going back to where I was, and I just see it as too easy. That being said, I'm still convinced there's a time out there where I am confident I'll be able to do it. Time will tell.

I also know that I have a big industry conference in October that will be tempting to not moderate, but drink like a fish. On one hand, I hate these things and they're a lot more fun if you're drinking, but on the other I know that I'd likely not be strong enough to moderate, and that it would be hard to come home and either go back on the wagon or moderate. So I'll probably not drink at least through then.

Anyway, that's where I'm at today.

Oh yes,I have two requests today: Please pray for Devon Walker, a Tulane football player who fractured his spine on Saturday and underwent surgery on Sunday. Devon is a bright kid, a walk on at Tulane who became a scholarship player and starter, while majoring in Cell and Molecular Biology.

Also, please remember those lost in the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001. Many of them were normal folks like you and I that happened to work in buildings radical extremists saw as a symbol of their enemy.
                  Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
                  When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hi everyone ~ was to & from airport by 6:30a. Played golf, then walked about 1.5 miles, may do more but afternoon thundershowers were approaching & then did my Firm V.1 LB which got me so sore a few days ago. Did not do all the reps this time, 3/4 I'd say.

DT - that 9 month break was a long, long time ago - 1988. How much do I drink now? Too much. Will honor your prayer requests. Worried a bit abt dh traveling today, thought I saw there would be heightened security. Hope babies are doing well! BTW, you certainly are!

Saw that paradigm shift thread. I'm not sure I followed what she was saying. Different way at losing weight (which was/is successful for her) helping in alcohol cravings? Is that it? Are you liking book, LB? Speaking of wt, think I'll go try on my jeans. Funny hearing dh this a.m. say they tend to shrink sitting on shelf.

TMH
                    The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

September Mod Squad

Yeah I'm not exactly sure how it related to AL, except for the fact that she believes addiction is physiological and not psychological...and she believes, as does the author of the book, that obesity is also physiological, not a behavior problem.

I enjoyed the book to the extent that I finally understand the *science* behind low-carb success. The book itself was not something I'd gladly curl up with normally, lol. However, it did motivate me to start eating LC. I'll let you know how that goes.

Hope everyone had a good day. I am relaxing after an enjoyable meal...pork chops with mushrooms in a cream sauce and salad. Love that LC, lol!

Sylvia Plath

Comment

September Mod Squad

Sorry, have yet to read today's posts...... Crazy day here in Vegas MASSIVE flooding!!!! Rained sooo hard for like two hours!!! Crazy monsoons! Streets flooded, houses flooded, zero visibility, so many cars stalled and trapped by flood waters, helicopter rescues right in my neighborhood..... Hubby's golf course completely under water.... Took me 4 hours to get home!!!! Now sun is shining, birds are chirping streets are barely damp!!! Mother nature you are one crazy SOB!

U guys should check out some of the video on my local news website- 8 News Now.....

Hope all is well with everyone I am enjoying a cold beer but only have two and definately NOT getting back in my car!!!

Comment

September Mod Squad

Well, I ordered the book from amazon. LG, your dinner sounds so yummy. But doesnt low carb diets give a person bad breath? Hope not.
                          V, wow, I wish it would rain a little where I am. Every day I water my flowers, they just get so dried out. Vegas is the desert? Well, lake mead will get some depth, right?

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hi modders, have just been catching up on this thread, and good job D for your af stint!

I've just finished 28 days yesterday (I got confused and thought it was 30d) and have decided to have a few drinks tonight. I'm going to try and be aware of some of the habits from the past that led me to drink too much in a night, and not over do it!

Comment

September Mod Squad

Good morning! Just got in from 4 mile walk. Beautiful cool morning! Have a little DOMS from yesterday but nothing like after last Sat.

I'm envying you, Dave, & DG for your AF stints. I'm not doing well. It's just such a habit to want those drinks. Have to come up with a plan of something else to do during Happy Hour. I know it can't be cleaning a closet, drawer, etc because I associate a nice glass of wine with doing that type thing. ((sigh)) Maybe I should go to an actual movie, have a popcorn dinner. Bikiing just doesn't take long enough. Will have to check out the Toolbox.

DG, tell us about your time off. How much better did you feel, what did you do to fill the time, did you lose weight, bloating, anything else? Did your dh or SO quit also?

Lila, if you go into ketosis you will have bad breath. Can't remember what dh & I were doing once, it could have been The Zone Diet, not sure, when we experienced that. Weighed 112 though. Maybe I should research that again. I remember loving having McDon's or BK, we just ate the sandwich with a knife & fork and only half the bun. It worked!

V - oh, how awful! Haven't had news on (dh is news junkie so I'm enjoying the peace & quiet & lack of politics). Will c/o now while I lift wts and stretch.

TMH
                              The pain of discipline is less than the pain of regret.

Comment

September Mod Squad

Hi, All,
                                A quick check in. Was able to play 18 early this morning as a breakfast event I was planning on was cancelled last minute. Walked/carried my bag, which I've done often for 9, but not 18. It was great. Didn't play all that well (a little guilty not working, probably contributed) but am glad that I did it. What a beautiful morning, started in upper 50's was i just about 70 when we finished.

I've never heard of low carb diets and bad breath, but I'm one that uses listerine regularly...really...at least 3 or 4x a day!

TMH: If you really want to put in a stretch AF, I suggest Kudzu (which, btw, is a weed that's growing out of control all over North America, surprised it's not even cheaper) L-Glut and the hypnosis cd they sell at the MWO store. You really have to commit to it, and it's not nearly as hard as you think once you're committed. I think sharing your goal with others and making a declaration "I'm going to go AF for xx days" gains support and becomes a commitment to yourself as well.

DG, I envy your bravery coming off the wagon, I'm still chicken! Someday I'll be ready to give modding a go. Not sure when, but probably soon.

LG, what else are you reading these days besides diet books?

V, I hope everything is drying out in Vegas, and that hubby's golf course is playable in no time. I know I get cranky when I can't play for very long. :H
                                Well the 1st are the hardest days don't you worry anymore.
                                When life looks like easy street there is danger at your door.

Comment

Working...
                                X