December Abbercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December Abbercise

What a great word "yomp" is!! I shall start using it immediately - particularly as we are doing a 4-day yomp in the New Year, so it will be used enough to become consolidated in our vocabulary! I'm sure the kids that are coming with us will love it!

Things going well here and I have committed myself to doing a 2.8km ocean swim on 24 January. So I've upped my swimming quite a lot - including doing a swim squad at 6am on Saturday morning!! I felt very virtuous when a friend rang at 10am to see whether I was up and I could casually say that I'd already had a swim, been to the supermarket, read the paper, and got two lots of washing on the line!!! We also swam in the sea on Sunday morning - even with a wet suit on it is still freezing!!!
    Never give up, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn

Harriet Beecher Stowe

Comment

December Abbercise

Hello fellow abbercisers!

I organized my morning so I worked out after my leads group and errands, which means I was working out at a REALLY slow time. For at least 1/2 of my workout there was only 1 other person on the circuit, and I purposely started at the other end so chit chat was not much of an option. OH BOY what a difference. The computer stats were improved and also my heart rate got up where I like it to be by the second lap of the circuit. So I feel good about the start to this abbercise week!

MomO3 I cannot imagine running unless someone is chasing me. Especially in the winter cold! I admire you for entering a 1/2 marathon. I will be cheering you on!

Marshy - Yomping sounds fun. It would be more fun with a backpack and some weaponry. Oh wait - that's ....... PAINT BALL!!!!! I haven't done that in years but would sure like to again.

Marshy - just DRAG your a$$ to that gym. Once you get there, I know you will be so glad you went. When I'm feeling like that I especially like working out first thing in the morning. It's over before you are even fully awake. WE WILL NOT LET YOU QUIT!!! :b&d: :sofa:

Hopefully Sausage will be feeling up to working out again soon. We know Caysea is kicking someone's booty in a dead serious match. Aunty Mame is doing something physical probably with Uncle Mame. (come on now! THAT's not what I was thinking of!!!!) Deter is probably doing something while pretending to be 18 again which is dangerous. OMW must be stuck on the treadmill and can't get off. Who am I missing????

Have a :b&d: kind of day all!

DG
      Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
      Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

December Abbercise

Doggygirl;490093 wrote:

Marshy - just DRAG your a$$ to that gym.
        OK, OK, I'm going today. You must be scary with a paintball gun in your hand :H

Go Mame and Momof3! The weather makes a huge difference doesn't it, good or bad.
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi folks!

First post for me on this thread; I've been around MWO for about five weeks now, but never paid much notice to this thread. Silly me, I thought Abbersice was some variation on the old Jazzercise concept and read no further. After reading through this month's thread, it is clear that you guys are pretty hard-core! I will be hanging around for inspiration and support.

I'm an older guy blessed with generally good health. Through years of far too many beers, exercise and sport has kept me in reasonably good condition, but never really achieving my goals. Now being AF, I'm sure I can kick it up to the next level. I have a Bowflex machine for resistance / weight training that is easy on my older joints. For aerobics, I bicycle 20-30 minutes over a natural trail with some small hills; that really gets the heart rate up!

My sport / goal activity is riding motorcycle enduros through the woods at speeds too fast through trees too close. (Sorry Greenies, but I really believe the woods do more damage to me than I do to the woods ).

C'ya round the gym!

Comment

December Abbercise

Hey, y'all, some great inspiration on this thread!

Still haven't exactly used my new Y membership, BUT have still been doing at least 25 minutes of cardio, 5 or 6 (or 7) days a week (alternating cycling, rowing, and treadmill). And this afternoon I will go over there to the Y and do the free fitness assessment that came with the membership, and I think that will help me "break the ice" and start actually going to the classes... I'm interested in Cardio Kickboxing, Pilates, and Yoga; and at other Y's in town they have Boot Camp classes that I might check out as well...

So far, this gradual workout schedule I have been doing at home, setting the bar very low, has worked out really well for me, it has been nearly painless, and without the need for a whole lot of arguing with myself in my head. And this morning I tried one one of my (several!) pairs of "test jeans," and it felt just perfect! Nice!!

wip

Comment

December Abbercise

Aunty Mame, Wow, that swim sounds challenging!!! I so admire you for doing that. Lately I have been entertaining the thought of triathalon training, but swimming would definitely be the weaker event for me.

WIP, good for you for taking it slow. My friend runs a fitness club and she talks about how people come and go because they absolutely kill themselves exercising for a few weeks or months and then end up not returning. I think it's important to set exercise goals that are somewhat challenging but not so challenging that you don't want to do it.

Tom, Marshy, DG and others...keep on keeping on (or yomping)

Mo3
              AF Since April 20, 2008
              4 Years!!!
              :lilheart:

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi Abbercisers

Well I'm embarassed to say I still have'n't exericised yet in December. My bad fluey cold has finally cleared up but I'm still troubled with my eyes, the conjuctivits returned as soon as my drops ran out - I'm now on some different antibacterial drops as of today but my right eye is red and throbbing and sore and I just don't feel up to exercising and obviously swimming is out of the question too. I 'm hoping to do something Thurs - give the stuff time to work and Wed is not an easy night to swim as it's disbabled swimming club at my local baths on Wed envenings and the pool is booked out at the time I go so there isn't much time available for a free swim. I'm aiming for Thurs to get started again, will wrap up Christmas presents tonight instead!!

The only good thing is, I still feel physically fit, a lot better than when I wasn't drinking and I haven't put on any weight at all, so hopefully i'll pick up where I left off. It's just annoying when you are in the routine of exercising and you have to give it a miss for a while. Interestingly I read Paula Racliffe (UK marathon runner and WR holder) autobiography earlier this year, being a distance runner myself, and it's horrifying to realise just how often top athletes are affected by illness, injury and unable to train, even something like a common cold can really set them back for a while.

I'll check back later, have a good day everyone.

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi all,

I think I figured out why I was having a bit of a motivation problem about going to the gym. Since I joined a few months ago, I've been doing about an hour of cardio/weights, then swimming afterwards. The swim has always been the "reward" for the workout. The workout does me good, I'm losing weight, getting fitter etc, but it's a means to an end and not something I particularly enjoy in itself - the swim is the highlight for me.

So, last week the pool was closed for repairs/cleaning. I went to the gym a few times, did the workout but couldn't swim afterwards. I only figured out today that my pea-sized brain was obviously saying to itself "Hmm, did the workout. No reward. Don't like this. Eat cheesecake instead."

Today the pool's open again! It was f r e e z i n g because it takes a couple of days to heat up after they refill it apparently, so it was deserted. Fantastic! Had a great (cold) swim, and feel my motivation returning.
                  sigpic
                  AF since December 22nd 2008
                  Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

December Abbercise

Now that I'm a harden workout type of guy ( on day 2 Ha!) I thought I'ld check you all out ! Been riding the ole' stationary bike for 30 min. a day lifting weights and doing 20 sit ups. Will try to keep it up everyday. LOL IAD,
                    ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                    those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                    Dr. Seuss

Comment

December Abbercise

Good for you IAD! Keep on keeping on, but don't overdue it too much. Our dear friend Det worked out so hard the other day that he almost passed out or puked, I don't remember which one.

Keep checking in.
                      AF Since April 20, 2008
                      4 Years!!!

Comment

December Abbercise

You've got to start somewhere, right IAD? Just think about being six months down the road, in great shape, remembering what you first started....

Just finished up a weights workout - don't know if they are getting harder or I have just dialed up the intensity but walked out of there feeling like a limp noodle! I'm sure it helps that I had a coworker hitting it hard at the same time - I thought I was bad but she is a maniac and we always seem to push each other a little harder.

Damn my gamesmanship!! :H
                        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

December Abbercise

I was told by " The One That Must Be Obeyed " ( wife ) That I'm not to workout with out her being around ! Ha! She's afraid that I'ld have a Heart Attack and no one would be here....... Life has come to this. I use to be a Manly man. Ha! Football, Baseball....3 yrs. in the Army ( Inf ) 30 yrs. @ NSA.. Life sucks when you get old. Ha! IAD.
                          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

December Abbercise

IAD Hmmmm, "The one that must be obeyed"...I'm liking that and I'm going to tell my husband this new title which I am about to fully embrace.
                            AF Since April 20, 2008
                            4 Years!!!

Comment

December Abbercise

Geez IAD - way to emasculate every hubby and boyfriend here! :H
                              Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

December Abbercise

IAD...I like that "The one that must be obeyed"... very nice.

Sausage, I have yet to run this week, hurt my hip last week and can't seem to get my butt off the couch. Maybe we should give each other some moral support or immoral, what ever it takes.
                                I need to read the posts and get inspired
                                Was an alcoholic yesterday, an alcoholic today and will still be an alcoholic tomorrow..... but I'm in charge now!

Comment

Working...
                                X