December Abbercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

December Abbercise

Hey WIP, Are you doing anything for those knees of yours? Supplements? Treatments? Support?

Also, for those who want to get into running more extensively, Jeff Galloway has a great run/walk program that is designed to keep you injury free. He has a website, several books, and training programs offered in most major cities to help you prepare for races up to and including a full marathon.

Run Injury Free with Jeff Galloway: Your Complete Running Resource. Marathon Training, Half Marathon Training, 10K Training.
    AF Since April 20, 2008
    4 Years!!!
    :lilheart:

Comment

December Abbercise

Thanks for that Link, mom/3. My knees suffered when I tried to run. My feet are really flat. i am getting fitted for orthotics, and I know I could get shoes that would make a big difference. But I don't really like to run--except that it goes faster. Who knows, I might give a try in the spring! I do like to walk, just need to get back in the habit!
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

December Abbercise

Gym 'n' swim for me today. Very few people in the pool because it still hasn't heated up yet after being refilled, so I had a lane to myself - love it when that happens.
        Attached files [img]/converted_files/735039=4435-attachment.gif[/img]
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

December Abbercise

Hey, MO3, thanks! I did read, and use, Jeff Galloway's stuff years ago, when I was really trying to train, and it helped a lot. He helped me get over the idea that it was somehow forbidden to do some regular short walking intervals, during a training run.

BUT the thing is, I don't exactly get injured, but instead what happens is my knees get, and generally remain, chronically swollen just a little. It isn't painful, and it isn't very obvious, just to look at my knees, but if I squat down, I find that my knees will not bend as far as usual, because of the swelling. For a while I tried the chondroitin, glucosamine stuff... didn't seem to make any difference.

But then I tend to overtrain, and to over-do everything. This time I am being very, very cautious. We'll see how it goes! So far, no swelling.

Comment

December Abbercise

Advice please

Hi folks,

I'm having a hard time getting started on my weekday workouts. I hit it hard on the weekend, but Mon-Fri, not so much. My work hours are 7:00 to 4:00 / 5:00, so I dont think I can deal with very early morning workouts. Time is not a problem after work, but I usually feel pretty puny (great word) by the end of my work day. I'm about six weeks AF and generally doing well, but I'm still feeling very slug-like in the afternoon. This has been a chronic problem for me this time of year, with or without alcohol. Any and all suggestions, tricks, or habits are welcome.

:thanks:

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi Tom 3.0,

How about doing some light exercise after work? If you're thinking that a workout has to be really hard and punishing, it's not surprising that you can't face the idea after working all day. Could you walk home from work, say? I don't know if that's feasible, but walking is great exercise & fresh air, time to think, time to unwind etc without working up a sweat.
              sigpic
              AF since December 22nd 2008
              Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

December Abbercise

Yes, I think that we have to watch our language/thoughts around exercise just as we do with drinking. It's really the same principle.

If you really want to exercise more, if it's truly important to you, you will find a way to do it. This requires making it a routine, having goals, and being strong and positive in your words and action.

It's essential to my well being. I am self-employed and I have 3 young children. I work out for at least one hour 5 - 6 times per week.
                AF Since April 20, 2008
                4 Years!!!

Comment

December Abbercise

Tom, ditto what Mo3 said. And, I have used a similar approach to AA: setting the bar very low. 10 minutes of any kind of exercise = a workout! Usually if I do that, I will walk, or ride my spinner, or do the rower, for significantly more than 10 minutes; and even if I "only" do 10 minutes, I have done myself some good (including just that I have accomplished a goal, and also that I have ramped up my heart rate some, improving my brain function... it all goes together, doesn't it?).

For me, the motivation comes out of knowing I will feel better, both short-term and long-term.

It's helpful to me that my spinner (exercise bike) is in the living room, facing the TV. I can watch 10 minutes of CNN or whatever, and/or listen to music, just about anytime.

Comment

December Abbercise

Something someone suggested to me was to do something during commercials in the evening. (If you're a (shameful) tv watcher. Sit ups. push ups. squats. Ok, I'm going to start doing that. Usually I'm on my computer or reading during the commercials!
                    WIP--when I was training for the Race for the Cure, I started out jogging just a little, because I was so out of shape. After 2 weeks my knees were killing me. EVERYONE I told said I needed to be fitted for my shoes. Not a big deal, just go to a shoe store that does this and they can tell by your gait, etc what type of running shoe you need. As I didn't really want to make a "career" out of running, i didn't do it. But since I have REALLY flat feet, I went to my chiropractor and am having orthotics made. I will be curious to see if this helps my knees.
                    The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

December Abbercise

Yes Tom.....I've just started my workouts, start out slow. ( How else could I start off , I am slow ! Ha! ) Good luck and post for support here. IAD.
                      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                      Dr. Seuss

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi everyone, thanks for the encouragement.

The deal is, I'm in fairly good shape, and once I get started, I can "burn down the house". Forty minutes of resistence and twenty to thirty on the bike. It's just getting past that small first hurdle. I won't blame Seasonal Affective Disorder, but this is less of a problem during the summer.

I did change-up a few things yesterday and had a good workout. I added some brighter lighting to my home gym space. And I didn't change from my glasses to my contacts. They are not so comfortable in dryer air and low light. This time of year, I don't sweat that much, so the glasses are less of a problem than they are in the summer.

Yesterday's good workout has me feeling great this morning, and I'll try to do some serious biking today. Another example of the virtuous cycle. (Sorry 'bout the awful pun, it just slipped out.)

Have a great weekend!

Comment

December Abbercise

Good Morning All,

Off to run this morning with my training group...just 6 miles today which I'm happy about because I was out late at a holiday party last night. No drinking, no hangover, just a late night.

m3
                          AF Since April 20, 2008
                          4 Years!!!

Comment

December Abbercise

Abanden the stationary bike this morning and took a jog into the great outdoors ! ( No that's not me in the pic Ha! but I got your attention ! Ha! ) Did my sit ups ,weights........ Now I'm ready for the biggest workout of the day...." Christmas Shopping ! " IAD.
                            ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                            those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                            Dr. Seuss

Comment

December Abbercise

Go IAD Go!!!
                              AF Since April 20, 2008
                              4 Years!!!

Comment

December Abbercise

Hi everyone!

I'm back in the water!!! - went swimming 7.30am this morning - it's good to be back - first exercise in 2 weeks (due to my viral upper respiratory tract thingy plus bad conjunctivitis which just wouldn't go away). Did about 40 lenghts (25m pool) - didn't feel any worse for my break from exercise. One or two people at the pool even commented that they'd not seen me for a while!!

It's good to be back exercising - just makes me feel so much more positive about everything.

Comment

Working...
                                X